PDA

View Full Version : Oral Fixation

Shorty
06-10-2015, 08:34 PM
I am constantly putting my fingers in my mouth, chewing on them, chewing on my nails, chewing on pens, putting bobby pins in my mouth. Does anyone else feel a compulsion to do these sorts of things? I can't be the only weirdo who chews on straws.

don't be dirtbags

Formalhaut
06-10-2015, 08:37 PM
don't be dirtbags

Why Shorty, I am offended you think us so lowly!

Shorty
06-10-2015, 08:37 PM
I know this group is a bunch of ragtags! I've been here long enough!

Formalhaut
06-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I never would have guessed! :p

I used to be quite bad at biting my nails, but then my mother bought me some horrid nail biting solution, which she painted on my nails. For some reason, it worked. I hardly ever bite my nails now.

Ayen
06-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I some times chew on wrist bands and cups. My teeth are preparing me for the day I may have to survive off of inanimate objects.

FFNut
06-10-2015, 09:23 PM
For me it's toothpicks. I always have a toothpick in my mouth. I'm forever ripping them apart. If I can't find a toothpick I will bend paper clips straight so I can have the feeling. It's nuts.

Pumpkin
06-10-2015, 09:26 PM
I chew my nails, bottles, pens, whatever

Sephex
06-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Just whatever pen I am using at work. It's great because then no one ever wants to steal my pens or anything because they think I treat all my office supplies like lollipops!

fire_of_avalon
06-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Nope. You're a dirtbag!

Colonel Angus
06-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I never would have guessed! :p

I used to be quite bad at biting my nails, but then my mother bought me some horrid nail biting solution, which she painted on my nails. For some reason, it worked. I hardly ever bite my nails now.
My mom did that, too. It didn't work. :lol:

I bite on my nails, the skin around the nails. I used to chew ice obsessively, before I had my surgery. From what I understand is people who are malnourished tend to chew ice a lot.

Shiny
06-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I'm so grossed out by people biting their fingers and it is worse to me than nail biting. The thought of them chewing their own skin sends shivers down my spine.

The answer is no! I use to when I was like 5. I sucked my thumb and bit my nails.

Formalhaut
06-11-2015, 03:18 AM
Oh, I also remembered eating paper for a while. I've no idea why I ate it, I just... did, I guess. I grew out of that pretty fast. I occasionally eat ice but only if I'm staring forlornly at my empty drink and I compel myself to get the last scraps of liquid from it.

escobert
06-11-2015, 03:55 AM
My bong is my oral fixation.

Mr. Carnelian
06-11-2015, 05:12 AM
I will be mentioning sex here. But, I'm not being dirty: this is science (apologies for any inaccuracies, A level Psychology was quite a while ago).

Have you every heard of the Psychosexual stages? It's an idea which was first popularised by Freud.

The theory is that whilst your body and mind are developing, you pass through different stages of sexual development.

Each stage - oral, anal, phallic, latent and genital (we used the mnemonic Old Age Pensioners Like Goats in A level Psychology) - is characterised by the part of the body which is the main focus of the sex drive.

At each stage of development, there is the possibility that you will become "fixated": although you will likely still pass through the later stages of development, you will on some level remain "fixed" in that particular stage.

Freud would argue that a strong desire to chew objects or put them in your mouth shows that you are "fixated" on the oral stage.

These ideas still have quite a strong influence on psychoanalytic thinking, although many of the details have been dismissed or discredited.

Sephex
06-11-2015, 05:21 AM
My bong is my oral fixation.

*airhorns*

Formalhaut
06-11-2015, 11:58 PM
I will be mentioning sex here. But, I'm not being dirty: this is science (apologies for any inaccuracies, A level Psychology was quite a while ago).

Have you every heard of the Psychosexual stages? It's an idea which was first popularised by Freud.

The theory is that whilst your body and mind are developing, you pass through different stages of sexual development.

Each stage - oral, anal, phallic, latent and genital (we used the mnemonic Old Age Pensioners Like Goats in A level Psychology) - is characterised by the part of the body which is the main focus of the sex drive.

At each stage of development, there is the possibility that you will become "fixated": although you will likely still pass through the later stages of development, you will on some level remain "fixed" in that particular stage.

Freud would argue that a strong desire to chew objects or put them in your mouth shows that you are "fixated" on the oral stage.

These ideas still have quite a strong influence on psychoanalytic thinking, although many of the details have been dismissed or discredited.

Bringing science to a forum post? My goodness!

Ayen
06-12-2015, 12:01 AM

Science is hot!

MissH
06-12-2015, 12:20 PM
I like sucking bottles. I love the evian bottles and fruit shoots. I find it really calming. Sometimes I fill them with hot chocolate and take them to bed and read a nice book.

I know it's very child-like like wanting a bottle etc, it's just comforting!

I used to bite my nails really badly. My mum used to put that disgusting nail polish on that made everything taste foul. One day I just suddenly stopped biting them.

Danny bites the skin round his nails ALL the time. Drives me nuts!

LunarWeaver
06-15-2015, 02:06 PM
I have a specific pen I pick up and chew on all the time. I'm sure it's very sanitary.

Shiny
06-17-2015, 06:57 PM
There are two women I know who suck their thumbs. It's probably a comfort thing.

Jowy
06-18-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm a dirtbag, Sarah.

DarkMatta
06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
When the mustache section of my beard grows out over my upper lip, I find myself plucking single hairs strands with my teeth. Pure filth.

BlasterDarkRen
06-20-2015, 01:15 AM
I like to chew on my DS stylus.

My compulsion is skin-picking based. It's called dermatillomania. I have to pick at my skin constantly, mainly my fingers. My fingers always pretty much look like they've been in a blender.

are you... my clone?

Everything you just said is what I would have said too.

Ayen
06-20-2015, 01:59 AM
I like to chew on my DS stylus.

My compulsion is skin-picking based. It's called dermatillomania. I have to pick at my skin constantly, mainly my fingers. My fingers always pretty much look like they've been in a blender.

are you... my clone?

Everything you just said is what I would have said too.

EoFF: Attack of the Clones!
Pretty soon we'll be forced to watch a horrible romance on screen. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

BlasterDarkRen
06-20-2015, 02:44 AM
I though we'd decided not to fall in love... that it would destroy our li...

oh wait we're nerding on a FF forum we don't have LIVES

Mercen-X
06-21-2015, 08:04 AM
I thought I was the only one, it always felt wrong somehow, but I just couldn't help myself, whenever I sit down to a meal, I just have to chew my food.

Seriously though, my closest need to chew on things would be gum and beef jerkey (neither of which I can have anymore)

Zanmato
07-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Pens and some pencils, long time ago, in the childhood. XD
I though the thread is about something sensual... Damn, I'm a big pervert, indeed! XD

Quindiana Jones
07-16-2022, 01:19 AM
I didn't bite my fingernails for three weeks whilst on vacation in Thailand, 12 weeks whilst on vacation in New Zealand, or 43 weeks whilst on vacation in the US.

I have bitten my fingernails religiously my whole life otherwise, and I hate it. I like the feeling and the look of nice healthy nails, but I just :monster: