PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Vintage RPG?

FFNut
06-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Hey everyone, I've been going on a Vintage RPG binge as of late, going through all my old games looking for what to play next when I came across a game that no matter what I did, it kicked me in the smurf no matter what I tried. The game was called the 7th saga and it was the one that thaught me the true meaning of "Rage Quitting". Was there one for you guys that though you loved the game, it just got the best of you?

Fynn
06-11-2015, 05:07 AM
Depends on what you define as vintage.

Honestly, I don't think RPGs can get any harder than old school MegaTen. I have the original Shin Megami Tensei on my iPhone and while I haven't rage quit, I'm taking a break because that ship is tough as balls.

FFNut
06-11-2015, 05:12 AM
I'll have to try that one, always up for a good challenge.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2015, 05:16 AM
I'll second Shin Megami Tensei. Got up to Alice section, lost badly against Neiboros and then realized I hadn't saved since the dungeon before that... I think it's been 8 months now...

While not vintage, Demon's Souls and I have a similar relationship as does Zelda II.

Ayen
06-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Zelda II is the only one that comes to mind if we stick with the 8/16 bit era of gaming. Otherwise, Dark Souls hands down.

Sephex
06-11-2015, 05:22 AM
Probably the original Phantasy Star. That game just hates people.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2015, 06:11 AM
Probably the original Phantasy Star. That game just hates people.

Oh yeah, that game just won't give you a break.

Vyk
06-11-2015, 06:43 AM
I would nominate Beyond the Beyond. I only played it once, and I had trouble progressing because of the art. Everyone was so ugly. If you can ignore a game full of people this horribly ugly, then you are dead inside!

Vermachtnis
06-11-2015, 09:16 AM
In Breath of Fire II for SNes there's this part where you have to use the Monkey. And I hadn't used the Monkey and I saved past a point so I was stuck grinding the monkey. I never came back to it. I started playing it on the GBA cause I heard the grinding wasn't so tedious, but I haven't reached that point yet. That's the only time I can think of that a game beat me. I can get really stubborn when it comes to that stuff. I beat Phantasy Star, I drew maps.

FFNut
06-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Is that after you get the whale? There is a great grind island in the north accessible with the whale where you can grind up very quickly.

Vermachtnis
06-11-2015, 09:48 AM
It's abit past that. It's the fight with Turbo. And you're stuck in the castle, unable to leave. This was back before the internet and you could just look up grinding spots. I didn't even have Bleu.

FFNut
06-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Ahhh ya, with Bleu it breaks that game with shed

Pike
06-11-2015, 05:42 PM
TES II: Daggerfall comes to mind...

Pumpkin
06-11-2015, 05:45 PM
all or them

As much as I love video games I just suck at them so the older game style of difficulty? I couldn't make it far enough in most to tell you which is more difficult

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
In Breath of Fire II for SNes there's this part where you have to use the Monkey. And I hadn't used the Monkey and I saved past a point so I was stuck grinding the monkey. I never came back to it. I started playing it on the GBA cause I heard the grinding wasn't so tedious, but I haven't reached that point yet. That's the only time I can think of that a game beat me. I can get really stubborn when it comes to that stuff. I beat Phantasy Star, I drew maps.

Yeah fuck Sten, I had the exact same thing happen to me the first time I played and I have hated him ever since.

Bright Shield
06-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Wizardry IV.

Makes even old school MegaTen games look piss easy.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-12-2015, 01:12 PM
For one's that I've played that come to mind, I guess Zelda II. I didn't play a whole lot, but a friend had it and it was not easy.

One of the hardest games in general?

XCom:UFO Defense. I never owned it (again) and I'd actually forgotten about it until the new ones came out. Still, ff******ckk meeeee, I remembered playing it on a computer somewhere (the same friend that had Fallout 2, maybe?) and it was brutal. Dying and losing are just expected. That's just how it is. Playing for hours and hours does not automatically guarantee you'll wind up in a position where you're going to win the game, and you don't know it until you've invested all that time.

theundeadhero
06-16-2015, 07:21 PM
I've never played the original Shin Megami, but 7th Saga is one of the hardest games I've ever played. That's compared to being able to beat Contra and Ninja Gaiden without dying. HARD.

Spuuky
06-16-2015, 10:45 PM
7th Saga is really, really hard.