PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the Enix Game the 7th Saga for the Snes

FFNut
06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Hello everyone Welcome to my review of the Enix title The 7th Saga.

I had had a lot of fun with this game as it took me back to a time where they were still trying to figure the RPG formula out. The story is a typical RPG in that a king is looking for the next heir, and has called warriors from across the land to train then send on a journey to collect the runes that hold great power to prove they are the ones that should take the place of him. Well let me introduce to you who you will choose to play as, and who will be the competition.

Wilme Pelin: Race Alien. This is who I chose to play as. He was a hard hitting Tank type player who had some fire magic to back him up. I chose him due to his higher defence knowing this game is mostly a solo effort.

Lux Tizer: Race Tetujin Robot. He is the other Tank that you can choose. He has high defence, and is the only player to have access to lightning spells and Lazars.

Olvan Jaess: Race Dwarf. He is an older Dwarf who is a more well rounded choice for you to use. He attacks with weapons and for some reason has spells (a dwarf with magic I know) I never used him but he looked like a slow and steady fighter.

Kamil Dowonna: Race Human. He is the Paladin of the choices, and uses weapons with magic to attack. Once again, never used him so don't know much about him.

Lejes Rimul: Race Demon. He is the black Mage of the choices who gets all the attack spells except for Lightning to vanquish his foes. Never used him in a play through yet so don't know how he is.

Valsu Saizer: Race Human. He the choice for White Mage of the group. Though he won't beat you physically, he is always a spell away from staying in the fight. Expect fights to be long if he was your choice. I chose to use him as a companion, and it made the game super smurfing easy once I was able to keep my main buffed up. Plus learns the Elixer spell which well you all know what that can do.

Esuna Busy: Race Elf. She is the Red Mage of the choices. She attacks with black magic, and keeps alive with White. She is the only female choice to choose from.

Thats is the Cast of charictor's, so let's move on to how the game actually is.

Game play: Do you like a good grind? I know some of you will say, I beat the smurf out of Dragons Quest so I don't mind grinding it out. Lol that game wishes it could grind like this one does. There were times I walked to the place they told me to go, after grinding to stay alive to get there, you then needed to grind another three levels just to walk into the dungeon entrance. Each new area the grind was from 7 to 10 levels needed to stay safe. Plus you can only hold a few healing items at a time, which is why I couldn't wait to recruit the white Mage choice to give me a hand through these mazes of dungeons. the layout including the world map is also all a maze which makes you wonder if you are walking to a dead end, or if there is something there. I gave it a 3 out of 5

Controls: Enix dropped the ball on this one. As you moved, the game would move a second later. The delay was enough to drive you wonky. Plus they implemented a actions Menu that made you have to open it up to check a chest for loot, or talk to people. Other games had already done away with this long before this game came out, which made things slightly annoying. The controls would greatly benefit from a makeover of this game, as there is so much potential for them especially on the world map that you can't take advantage of due to the delay in movement. I gave them a 1 out of 5, 1 being as low as I can go. It deserved worse.

Battle: here is something they did right! The battle system was turn based, and it was one of the shinning standout parts to this game! First off the one second delay on the control went away, also they implemented something that if you used defend, then you attacked it would be a critical hit, then that had a chance to crit again for a x3 effect. Battles were tough, but like I said with grinding you could make it work. The battle system I gave a 4.5 out of 10 being one of the stand out features of the game.

Story: The story started fairly basic, but it had a few plot twist that I didn't see coming. Maybe I should have, but the grinding I think numbed my brain a bit and the story would bring me back. It's not the best RPG story, but it held its own well. I gave it a 4 out of 5

Grafics: Someone should have told Enix the Snes was able to hit 16 bit graphics. It's like they developed it for the NES, but released it on the SNES. There was more they could have done there, but I grew up in the old school gaming. It didn't bug me much. I gave them a 2 out of 5.

Difficulty: This game is tough! Thus the heavy grinding needed for it. Bringing a companion along does make things easier, but there are fights they don't join in on, like when the compation decides they want the runes and there is no escaping the onslaught. Also if you choose the wrong companion, he will decide he will take the runes and leave you in a puddle of SMURF YOU. I gave this game a 4.5 out of 5 for difficulty.

Overall: This game overall is hard to judge due to the no middle point on anything. On one hand you have a great story, great battles, and a difficulty curve that keeps you playing. On the other hand the things out the game that suck, Sucks! Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5. Not for everyone, but if you want to try an old vintage that will keep you entertained, it will do that for you.

Hope you all enjoyed this read!

Ayen
06-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Sounds like my "level up three times before each boss" strategy I used to beat FFVII would actually be useful here.

Boo one second delays!

FFNut
06-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Level up 5 levels is what it would come down to. It felt like 20hours of game play with 70 hours on the grindstone.