PDA

View Full Version : Painting Appraisal

blackmage_nuke
06-12-2015, 01:25 PM
You've defeated a museum curator at a game of pictionary and he leads you to a room with two paintings. One is the most amazing painting you have ever seen, it creates stirrings in your soul and you dont know if you will ever see a painting that speaks to you so deeply. However it is painted by an unknown artist and has absolutely no resale value. The other painting, while nice, doesnt invoke any feelings or thoughts inside you. You dont even find it pleasant to look at. However it is by a famous artist is currently worth one month's salary on the market and will continue to appreciate in value as time goes on increasing by a years worth of salary every 12 years.

The Curator says you may take one, you can not take photos, and whichever you take, you will never see the other one again.

Which do you take and what do you do with it?

Mr. Carnelian
06-12-2015, 01:51 PM
I have a good memory for how paintings look and how they make me feel.

Plus, an experience as deep and meaningful as you say would probably only be cheapened by repetition. Some things are meant to be experienced only once.

So, I don't think that I would feel a need to see the painting I liked again, provided I had an hour or so to fully absorb it.

I also don't have that much money, being a student.

Therefore, I will take the money painting.

Pheesh
06-12-2015, 02:43 PM
The one worth the money, I get my soul stirrings from music so I don't need a painting to essentially do the same thing for me. I would also sell it straight away, screw having to look at it for twelve years while I wait for it to double in price.

Shorty
06-12-2015, 04:23 PM
The one worth the money, I get my soul stirrings from music so I don't need a painting to essentially do the same thing for me. I would also sell it straight away, screw having to look at it for twelve years while I wait for it to double in price.

Same, except I'd keep it for a couple of years. These past few years have flown by for me, so I'm sure another 2-3 wouldn't kill me.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2015, 05:12 PM
I would say "These are, indeed, pigments rendered onto canvas." and walk away.

-N-
06-12-2015, 06:42 PM
If I needed the cash this would be more difficult, but I don't, so the badass unknown one.

escobert
06-12-2015, 10:17 PM
The unknown one most likely. Unless I knew I could sell the other immediately.

Pike
06-12-2015, 11:28 PM
The Curator

*robot voice* This Curator is equipped for gallery protection. Gallery rules will be strictly enforced.