PDA

View Full Version : 5 Concerns About the Final Fantasy VII Remake Announcement

Fynn
06-17-2015, 06:24 AM
5 Concerns About the Final Fantasy VII Remake Announcement
http://ffvii-remake.square-enix.com/images/logo.jpg

It finally happened. Square Enix have dropped us the bombshell of the decade – Final Fantasy VII is being remade for the PS4 with a sleek graphical makeover. Fans have been shouting, wailing, begging SE to do it for years and their prayers have finally been answered. Now don’t get us wrong – we're just as excited to finally get confirmation on this as the next guy, but ever since the announcement was made and we got a glimpse of what the game is intended to look, we’ve had certain… concerns. Of course, considering how large the FF fanbase is, and how beloved a game FFVII is, it goes without saying that not everyone will be satisfied with the final outcome. Here are some things we feel may happen in this remake that will make most fans angry.

5. The game will play differently

http://i.imgur.com/vlem3yt.jpg

The gaming industry has undergone substantial changes over the years. What was acceptable by the gaming public at large in 1997 when FFVII originally came out may not be as hotly anticipated nowadays. Turn-based combat is one such element that used to sit pretty well with everyone back in the day, but now attracts so much scrutiny that we really think SE might be thinking of changing the combat in Final Fantasy VII. Many fans of the original adore the old school ATB system, but if the company decides pandering to the nostalgia of long-time fans is not enough, they will probably opt to attract a new crowd using a system that is considered much less dated. So, it’s likely that we’ll get an action RPG much like the upcoming FFXV or the recently released Type-0 HD. Other options include real-time/turn-based hybrids like FFXIII. Though at this point only time will tell what changes will be made to the gameplay, if any. Hopefully, we’ll at least get to play around with the materia system, even if in the end it turns out the only character we get to directly control is Cloud. Speaking of changes…

4. You know the tone won’t be the same

http://i.imgur.com/W7d98qy.jpg

As many EoFFers have already pointed out, Final Fantasy VII had its fair share of bizarre scenes. And we remember them fondly – all the weird squats we made Cloud do, the infamous Honeybee Inn sidequest, and even Barret and Tifa’s hilarious banter when climbing the Shinra building. Now let’s try to remember Advent Children. It was nothing but dead, gray, joyless brooding. It appears as if at a certain point the creators just forgot that on top of having a story that’s trying to be more serious and deep, Final Fantasy VII was really quirky and fun. It's very likely that the tone we got served in that movie and other entries in the dreaded Compilation is what the creators might stick to for this remake. Now that we're at Advent Children…

3. The characters will be unrecognizable

http://i.imgur.com/Csl5YGF.jpg

In the film, Cloud is emotionally stunted due to the trauma he has endured in the meantime between the game and the sequel. It may be presented with all the subtlety of a brick to the face, but it is nonetheless justified. However, Cloud’s personality retains the same depressive symptoms both in Crisis Core and Dissidia, which makes absolutely no sense. Remember that cocky ex-SOLDIER asshole who was in it all just for the money? And how in the past he was a bit dorky but still incredibly determined guy who practically killed Sephiroth despite holding no potential whatsoever? Yeah, all things considered, Cloud was pretty badass. But that’s not how he is remembered by SE, and I am really concerned that this broody Cloud from the Compilation is what we’ll be getting in the remake. If only that was the worst influence from the Compilation we could get…

2. You know they’re going to tie into the Compilation, and oh boy, is it a mess…

http://i.imgur.com/13xRABV.jpg

We usually don’t talk about the Compilation, and for good reason. Not only is it responsible for the drastic tone shift mentioned earlier, but the amount of retcons in this expansion of the FFVII universe is staggering. Final Fantasy VII was self-contained and that made it great. Sure, there was a deep backstory to the world and the characters that had the potential to be expanded but it was still not really necessary to expand on it. Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus have introduced some of the worst twists to that universe – the goddess of the planet (who doesn’t really make sense in the context of FFVII), the Deepground (makes even less sense) and Genesis. While the former two may be considered a mixed bag, Genesis and his poetry are universally loathed by the fanbase. But in the context of the FFVII universe, all of these elements are now considered canon, for better or worse. Then again, we may be getting ahead of ourselves, complaining about things that in the end may never even happen because…

1. The Final Fantasy VII remake will take forever to come out

http://i.imgur.com/1esF0EI.jpg

If the troubled development of FFXV has taught us anything, it’s that a cool concept trailer with a promise of more still to come and not much else doesn’t really bode well for the game’s expected development period. Square Enix doesn’t seem to have caught on. So far, Final Fantasy XV has been in development for almost ten years, changed directors and numbers. Not only is the trailer barely a hint of what is in development now, just like with Versus, both projects were initially directed by Tetsuya Nomura who, bless his soul, is a tad too meticulous when it comes to polishing his babies. Then again, maybe the reason FFXV was stuck in development hell for so long is because Final Fantasy VII was being developed at the same time and we’ll get to play it sooner than we expect? Only time will tell.

So what worries you most about the announcement of Final Fantasy VII on PS4? Let us know in the comments!

Ayen
06-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Nothing worries me. Nothing that has been listed on this article worries me, but then again I'm not a FFVII purist. I know they could make a shot for shot remake and people will still find things to complain about. That's why my heart goes out to the development team. They'll still make money, they'll likely get very good reviews on all the major sites, a bunch of happy, happy campers, and then the complainers. Such is the circle of the lifestream.

Pumpkin
06-17-2015, 07:04 AM
What's wrong with turn based anyway :colbert:

Great article! You covered most of the things I could see being a concern!

Del Murder
06-17-2015, 07:44 AM
I don't have any concerns. The great thing about a remake is that it won't take away from the original. Like I said in the other thread, if you want something with all the great elements FFVII had, then go play FFVII. It's still awesome.

I actually hope this is not just the original game line for line but with voices and updated graphics. I hope it updates everything else as well while paying a good homage to the original. If it doesn't, meh, FFVII still exists in all its glory in many different forms.

The timing issue, well, we've waited this long. I can wait until they are finished with it. Maybe my kids will be old enough to play it by then.

It's telling how far SE's star has fallen that the day after we get the announcement of one of the most anticipated games in their history, we get articles about concerns.

Carl the Llama
06-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Like ToriJ and Del, I have absolutely no concerns, the original game isn't going to cease to exist and lets not forget, while people say they have lost faith in Square Enix for games like FFXIII and all its extras, they were (to me at least) games I thoroughly enjoyed playing, sure they weren't as epic as the games of the PSone era, but they delivered to me a great experience. Plus your forgetting, this is Final Fantasy VII, the story is already there, and while they may or may not add elements of the compilation its still going to be an amazing game.

The Main thing I am looking forward to is seeing how it plays, the gameplay to me is THE most important feature of the game, and I have yet to encounter a Final Fantasy game that doesn't have great gameplay (this is again my own opinion) and the team working on FFVII knows how important FFVII is to the fans... we have been asking for a remake for over a decade, lots of careful planning is bound to be necessary. Besides if they fuck this up they know it will be the death knell for the company, because if they mess up a game that already has amazing elements in it up, how can they have a future producing games that people will be interested in playing?

tl;dr I have utmost faith in the Square Enix, and I am 100% confident that they can and will produce an amazing game.

Psychotic
06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
I would be surprised if they kept all the quirky humour. They're certainly not going to keep all the bad translations like "This guy are sick" as they removed them from the Steam version.

I also hope they don't have Cloud be mopey as shown in the compilation. He was never that. In Midgar he just struck me as the straight man to everyone else's - from Barret, the Shinra, Don Corneo, Aerith etc. - anger, craziness, cheerfulness, whatever.

Fox
06-17-2015, 01:33 PM
You know, I don't think this criticism of Cloud being overly mopey in the Compilation is a particularly fair criticism. In Advent Children, yes it was annoying but it was at least an important plot point, so I don't think the attitude that 'he was like that in AC therefore he'll be like that in the remake' is well founded. Crisis Core is more the one I want to focus on, as people seem to think he had no cause to be mopey there, he should have been the same swaggering, confident dude he was in VII.

But he wasn't that dude in VII, at least not until the latter stages of the game. For most of the game he was Zack. He had assumed Zack's position and emulated his personality. It wasn't until after the life changing events that occurred through VII that he gained that confidence for himself, and I don't believe for an instant that the experience of playing Zack for so long didn't leave a lasting impression on his attitude.

In Crisis Core, what was Cloud? He was a foot soldier who had failed to achieve his dream. It's no surprise at all that he didn't have that skip in his step, you know?

Psychotic
06-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Let me rephrase. He's been mopey in every appearance since VII. You can explain CC away by the context of where he was as a character, but what about games without a context? Dissidia for one, but his appearances in Kingdom Hearts were especially bad. I am concerned that this is how Square view Cloud and why they think he is a popular character, because it's boring and insipid compared to the actual VII Cloud.

Mirage
06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
I hope they keep this guy are sick, but only in the subtitles, while aeris would use the right words in the voice acting.

I also hope they put in a fake "change disc" screen after she dies.

DanielCLFFF13
06-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Well if the gameplay change to action RPG then... I might have to skip this remake...
I like the classic ATB system better...
I personally like the new ATB system implemented in XIII series... Yeah, the downside is that can only control one character...

If they decided to remove some scenes and or events... and change it with more appropriate ones... Another reason I'm not going to get the remake...

As for other things... I just hope it's just as good as the original...

But this is my opinion :)

Freya
06-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Well in that interview (http://nichegamer.com/2015/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-deviate-from-original-story-made-to-support-ps4-in-japan/) neo linked in the other thread they said

While the teaser trailer had a more darker feel to it, fans can be rest assured the game will still have some of its iconic and yet silly moments, like when Cloud has to cross-dress as a woman. “Please look forward to it,” Nomura said when asked about the cross-dressing scene.

so that's nice that they'll not get rid of those things.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
So there's one concern you can cross off your list.

Fynn
06-17-2015, 02:27 PM
To be fair, a lot of the points were exaggerations and I was just trying to come up with athings that would send a lot of fans flying in a fit of rage if they happened :D

Honestly, after hearing more about the game, the only thing that I'm really concerned about at this point is the Compilation integration. I would really rather just forget the whole thing ever existed.

metagloria
06-17-2015, 02:27 PM
I hope they keep this guy are sick, but only in the subtitles, while aeris would use the right words in the voice acting.

I also hope they put in a fake "change disc" screen after she dies.

No fake...I hope they actually put it on 3 discs.

I'll chime in with others and say I have no concerns whatsoever. I've played the original seventeen times; I know it inside and out. I want to experience that world fresh and anew. I want a retelling of that amazing story. And, crazy as it may sound, I trust Square-Enix to not tarnish the legacy of what they and everyone else knows is their greatest title. If they understand that they have to make this remake, then I think they also understand that they have to make it faithful. For example, someone on reddit was worried they might remove All Lucky 7s. Are you kidding me? That's exactly the kind of detail they'll have to include! They'll do it right.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 02:32 PM
To be fair, a lot of the points were exaggerations and I was just trying to come up with athings that would send a lot of fans flying in a fit of rage if they happened :D

Honestly, after hearing more about the game, the only thing that I'm really concerned about at this point is the Compilation integration. I would really rather just forget the whole thing ever existed.

Admittedly, there'd be no better time to retcon the Compilation than with a remake. Especially if they care about ironing out plot holes since I hear the Compilation only created more questions than it answered. We'll see.

Mirage
06-17-2015, 02:34 PM
If they retcon the entire compilation in the process, I have no problems with deviating from the original game's events and script.

I am also completely fine with a very different combat system. Perhaps still ATB, but one of the more evolved ATBs we've seen in recent games. FF13-2 and FF10-2 did ATB pretty well.

BlasterDarkRen
06-17-2015, 02:37 PM
I guess I am the only person on this planet who like Genesis then? I'm honestly torn about whether I want him to appear or not though. I want the story told properly but what that means is open to debate.

escobert
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
The battle system is my main concern.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 04:01 PM
I guess I am the only person on this planet who like Genesis then? I'm honestly torn about whether I want him to appear or not though. I want the story told properly but what that means is open to debate.

I never felt very strongly about him. They were obviously building him up as this major antagonist after DOC and CC, but nothing ever came of it.

Freya
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHnm56QUcAAJa1p.jpg

fans reactions to them saying to look forward to the crossdressing

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Nomura confirmed that the plot will be expanded and changed a bit. (http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-have-more-work-done-to-its-story/)

Kitase mentioned back in the day that he would likely alter elements of the game he was either dissatisfied with or felt has aged poorly but he would also consider the fan reaction to such changes.

Loony BoB
06-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Not a shocker on plot changes, and glad they're saying it early on. They should get any potential bad news out of the way very early on so people can get it out of their heads and/or make changes.

As for gameplay changes, that I'm far less bothered by personally. It has to happen as far as I'm concerned. If they put chocobo racing in as it was in the old days, it would be severely lacking when compared to even chocobo racing in FFXIV, where it's still very much limited to being a fun time waster. I expect we'll see that along with other things enhanced notably beyond "hold L1+R1 to win" for the sake of fun.

Kappy
06-17-2015, 08:46 PM
I wonder if they'll make the Magic Defense stat actually work this time.

Fox
06-17-2015, 08:50 PM

Sacrilege! Broken mechanics are what made the game great!

Lawr
06-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Yes, let them make all of their polarizing announcements quickly so we can get the complainers out of the way early.

I really hope they keep the overworld in this remake.

Also I think some of the best part of FFVII's plot was all of the info and backstory about Jenova that they ultimately decided not to include in the game. And some of those plot points ended up being used in Xenogears!

Hopefully they can tell us more about Jenova this time.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 07:40 AM
So Nomura-san already announced the story willl have changes.

That is no wonder. The story already was slightly changed already. With the Compilation it is just good that plotholes and stuff will be filled. Let's just hope that this is most of what they mean with that statement so this is merely a "don't wonder if something does not seem familiar it is just something that already existed in the Compilation, just now used in the first installment as well".

I supposed Genesis will reappear after Cloud has finished his Confabulation so you see he was in Nibelheim - though that does not need to be shown.
Lucrecia will be in her Crystal as in Dirge of Cerberus.
Vincent and Yuffie will be no secret characters, therefore have an obligatory story about Lucrecia and Wutai.
The Zack story will be explained better.
They will tie in to On the Way to a Smile/Advent Children.
Some plotholes will be filled better.
Such things. I cannot imagine a real change that is not something that was retconned or added already anyway. And I hope so.

They will also probably change some things to no longer be optional and make the most logical scene:

- The Date with Aerith
- Aerith's sadness about Zack and her line that she hoped a bit Cloud was jealous (a line that even was in the game but inaccessible through an error)
- Whichever version the Highwind scene should be
- Maybe make it obligatory to find Dr. Gasts's house
- Sephiroth's creation also was in this installment very vague, as were the tatoos - they will probably change that for consistency - also they will probably no longer give Sephiroth Masamune in his right hand because the ambidexstrous thing is not that important for them
- Rufus' escape explained in On the Way to a Smiled might be hinted or something
- Tseng might not magically disappear but at least be shown once again
- Reeve might have more screentime
- Deepground might be hinted
- locations like Modeoheim and Banora might reappear

If anything it becomes a game that people finally understand. With the thing that Cloud never literally was someone else but metaphorically through confabulation which obviously can drastically change people because how we behave and perceive reality depends on what we "know". And later his chain of memories has been restored and he changed again. So it is no wonder Cloud goes Self-critisising -> arrogant but still with some self-citisizm on the surface -> self-critisising but knowing what he has done -> so self-critisising that he couldn't save Aerith. I suppose they will also change a few things like give no one a JENOVA voice. In the original we had "Jenova: You are just a puppet." after Sephiroth killed Aerith. In Advent Children Toshiyuki Morikawa himself said that line - which would not matter, both Sephiroth and JENOVA can change voices.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 08:46 AM
I do think people understand that Cloud, at no point, was literally the character Zack. :p

Kappy
06-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Sacrilege! Broken mechanics are what made the game great!

xD I'd love if they were so true to the original, that they kept all the glitches.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm looking forwards to this glitch in particular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqMgYYbKQc

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I do think people understand that Cloud, at no point, was literally the character Zack. :p

I wish you were right. I really do.

Also this is hard to believe as a lot of people in this forum alone refuse to accept a lot of obvious facts.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Probably just people who haven't played the game since they were 12 years old

Loony BoB
06-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I really hope they don't take away all the options in the game like Sephiroth has suggested. The great thing about FFVII is that you can play it how you like it, and see different things depending on how you play it, and how there are so many optional quests.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
I would also not wonder about Wall Market being retconned.

They cannot do that part and still reach a younger fanbase.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Why not?

Fynn
06-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Why not?

Seconded. I don't think the Wall Market has anything that'd be particularly alienating to a younger audience.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Why not?

How do you sell a brothel and Don Corneo to kids?

Fynn
06-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Why not?

How do you sell a brothel and Don Corneo to kids?

As the joke it is, maybe?

Jinx
06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
The same way they did when kids were playing the game in 1997. :monster:

Mirage
06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
same way you sold it to kids in the 90s.
-edit-
thirded, lol

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 02:43 PM
It has a completely different effect with realistic graphics. And they were aware of that when they even mentioned exactly that part in an interview a few months or years ago.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 02:44 PM
They pulled it off before, they can do it again.

I am sure that back in 1997 FF7 graphics were AMAZING and that didn't stop them.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 02:45 PM
The bad parts of wall market isn't what we see, but what it implies that is going on when we can't see. That will still be the same with good graphics. Worst case scenario, the game will be rated 16+ instead of 12+. 16 year olds is still a reasonably young audience compared to the age of the average gamer (which is around 30 now).

Ayen
06-18-2015, 02:46 PM
They already confirmed Cloud in drag, so it's safe to assume Don Corneo is in there.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 02:51 PM
They pulled it off before, they can do it again.

I am sure that back in 1997 FF7 graphics were AMAZING and that didn't stop them.

The problem is not that those graphics were not amazing at that time, because they were, the problem is that how people perceive things also depends on how it is presented for them. A brothel, Don Corneo and all that stuff is pretty hard to pull off as the same kind of joke without cartoony looking characters. And I don't think they would risk a 16+ rating. They mentioned it before so they are aware of it, no matter what finally comes out now.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 02:55 PM
The FF13 trilogy had a 16+ rating, so they're certainly not afraid of it.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 02:57 PM

Where? Not here.

Loony BoB
06-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah, if it was okay in 1997 I'm pretty sure it should be okay now, too. Video games are becoming less conservative over time, not the other way around.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 03:02 PM

Huh, so it does. I never really noticed that.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 03:03 PM

Where? Not here.

PEGI 16 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1132077/images/2015-06-18%2016.04.26.jpg). I guess not all countries in europe use that, but many should.

Ayen
06-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Those lucky minus sixteen bastards.

Dante WolfWood
06-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Changes to the characters/plot are what concerns me the most. I understand they are going to make some changes. It's almost necessary. Knowing Nomura though..he will probably ruin it.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
The writer still is Kazushige Nojima, so whatever Nomura-san says, in the end Nojima-san will wite and decide how and in which way exactly the story works out.

Dante WolfWood
06-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Well that is actually very good to hear. That makes me feel more optimistic.

I really am excited about it though, and I hope it's great! Even if it isn't...we all know we are going to get it anyway.

Jinx
06-18-2015, 04:52 PM
My feeling on the game is that it's probably going to be great no matter what. Different, of course. But I'm sure it will be entertaining and enjoyable. And as others have mentioned: the original is always there to go back to.

As long as they don't drastically change it, I'm fine with whatever.

Depression Moon
06-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Turn based seems to be going away from home console RPGs. I hope this retains it. There are some things I expect and don't mind, like I think they'll probably make Yuffie and Vincent required instead of optional, but if they remove Honey Bee Inn, Don Corneo, Barret in a sailor suit, and Red XIII trying to walk upright like a human, I'm not even bothering.

Cloudane
06-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Have we seen this interview with Nomura?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

Hate to be a whiner but even with what extremely little he said, this pretty much confirms all the fears that set in with me once I stopped hyperventilating and came back down to Earth.

Key comments:

"We don't need two of the same thing."

It's very likely that not everyone is going to like everything.

we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn.

But there is some good news

if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

So yeah... they're still sticking with the line of "we can't do these oldschool things in HD, it wouldn't make sense" (which is BS, as anyone who has played Lost Odyssey knows, but it's against SE's principles). It's not FF7... it's a game based on a re-telling of FF7. So, I expect: MMORPG or hack-and-slash style battles, corridor based world, menu driven airship, retconned characters and designs, materia based sphere grid type system, no or completely reimagined chocobo breeding ("would they really sit through generations of chocobos while Meteor looms overhead?" I can hear Nomura say) etc... meh, considerably less hyped now!

It'll still be interesting to see what they make of it and see various situations in better graphics. But remember things like how Kalm in... I think it was Dirge? was basically a massive city. Classic example of totally changing the feel of it. So whilst I'm sort of excited to see what things end up looking like, part of me is actually fearful of playing it in case it ruins the image in my head of how the FF7 world works.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 06:34 PM
It totally is Final Fantasy VII. It just makes no sense to make everything super-graphics and call it "the remake". Nothing important will change. he even said that. Everything that is important and has been changed already was changed or added with the Compilation and that this somehow will be done is obvious.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Have we seen this interview with Nomura?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

Hate to be a whiner but even with what extremely little he said, this pretty much confirms all the fears that set in with me once I stopped hyperventilating and came back down to Earth.

Key comments:

"We don't need two of the same thing."

we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn.

But there is some good news

if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

So yeah... they're still sticking with the line of "we can't do these oldschool things in HD, it wouldn't make sense" (which is BS, as anyone who has played Lost Odyssey knows, but it's against SE's principles). It's not FF7... it's a game based on a re-telling of FF7. So, I expect: MMORPG or hack-and-slash style battles, corridor based world, menu driven airship, retconned characters and designs, materia based sphere grid type system, no or completely reimagined chocobo breeding ("would they really sit through generations of chocobos while Meteor looms overhead?" I can hear Nomura say) etc... meh, considerably less hyped now!

It'll still be interesting to see what they make of it and see various situations in better graphics. But remember things like how Kalm in... I think it was Dirge? was basically a massive city. Classic example of totally changing the feel of it. So whilst I'm sort of excited to see what things end up looking like, part of me is actually fearful of playing it in case it ruins the image in my head of how the FF7 world works.
Half of the things you mention make no sense. Why would there be a sphere grid system? Why would it be MMORPG-like combat?

Cloudane
06-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Half of the things you mention make no sense. Why would there be a sphere grid system? Why would it be MMORPG-like combat?

FF13 and FF12 both had "sphere grid like" systems (for lack of a better term.. I suppose "skill tree" kind of works as a term). They called them licences and crystariums but all much the same thing
FF12 had MMORPG-like combat. 13 was more hack and slash like. Definitely won't be turn based though!

If they're making it like the newer games, then... the newer games are a good reference point.

Sephiroth
06-18-2015, 07:29 PM
FFVII can still be turn-based. FFXIII was also turn based. It just will not be more dynamic.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 07:59 PM
FF13 and 13-2 was ATB, just more dynamic, and with command queuing. There's no reason why a new game would have to have skill trees even if some of the most recent games had that. FF10-2 had a classic job system, and we hadn't seen that since FF5 (or FF Tactics if you want).

FF12's combat was not very MMO-like. I've played WoW, FF11 and FF14 (and a few other minor ones) and none of them feel anything like FF12.

Fynn
06-18-2015, 08:11 PM
To be honest, Id love it if the battles were more FFXII/Xenoblade-like.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 08:13 PM
Xenoblade was great. That game's combat is also really similar to FF11, but accompanied by a user interface that is actually good. Unlike FF11.

maybee
06-18-2015, 10:36 PM
No, uruggh * loud screaming * please keep the FF VII battle system the same. ;-;

* slips $ 5 to SE *

Keep the FF XII/ FF XV type battle systems to those games.

Fox
06-18-2015, 10:44 PM
I have nothing against real time systems like XII, XV, Xenoblade etc. But I want to be able to micromanage all my characters, not control one and let the AI take care of the rest. That's something that's been missing since X-2, and it's a shame. I'd be disappointed if we lost that from VII's battle system, pretty much anything else I wont mind.

Ayen
06-19-2015, 04:19 AM
I see no reason to be worried from that interview. Like others have mentioned elsewhere, what he said about the battes doesn't automatically means he's going to do away with turn base, and he's right. We can't have two of the same thing on the same freaking console! I'd question why they chose to port the original on the PS4 to begin with if they had a remake coming out, but then I remember it's probably for the people who only think they want a remake when in reality they just want a graphical update. Not that I expect it to look particularly impressive in HD with how it was designed originally. The character models, anyway.

Stating the obvious here. That's anything that's ever been created in the history of ever, but nonetheless true. As I ranted about already, they could keep everything in tact from the old game and people would still bitch. It's inevitable that people are going to say, "It's not as good as the original." That's something most remakes have in common. You know what else they have in common?

Not being exactly the same as the original.

Mercen-X
06-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Talk about exaggeration. "Universally loathed" is an inappropriate stretch. I'd like to think that I'm part of this universe and I actually like Genesis better than Sephiroth. Sephiroth is just a whiny little mama's boy.

I also don't think Cloud's personality in Crisis Core was unwarranted. He was obviously an insecure and socially inept kid. Clearly the mako bath which is a requisite for all SOLDIER members including MPs didn't help him.

Fynn
06-19-2015, 08:04 AM
There's enough Genesis hate going on to consider him "universally loathed" ;)

Loony BoB
06-19-2015, 08:30 AM
I don't like Genesis, but I don't think "universally loathed" is accurate either. Hell, Crisis Core isn't even "universally played". Genesis is generally disliked, that's probably fair to say, though. I don't loathe Genesis.

Bubba
06-19-2015, 08:42 AM
The one thing I've realised about fans of Final Fantasy is that we love a good whinge... about anything. It seems every element of every final fantasy games are both loved and loathed by fans. We all know that making this game and pleasing everyone is an impossible task. I know for a fact that there will be parts of this game that I won't like but I don't really care. I can't wait to see the world I know and love in gloriously fleshed-out HD.

If they change the battle system and it isn't to my taste then fine, I'll go and play the original again. If I want to wander around Cosmo Canyon in the way I've dreamt about, hopefully, I can do this in the remake.

I just can't wait to have another way of experiencing this world.

Ayen
06-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Genesis has never bothered me. Everyone talks about how his Loveless quotes are annoying, but they just don't phase me. Only thing that annoyed me about him had nothing to do with his character, just him being placed somewhere he didn't need to be, but eeh. I got over it.

Bubba
06-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Whatever happens, let's just hope the character models are better than the godawful ones in the Steam Edition HD Mod that Psy is currently playing...

...where Red XIII has been on a strict diet of crack cocaine and Cid looks like he should be on a float at Gay Pride.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64943&stc=1

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64944&stc=1

DarkMatta
06-19-2015, 11:14 AM
If they want to update it but still keeping in-touch with the original. I wouldn't mind these two options:

1). I wouldn't mind a new battle system (called "Modern" mode or something similar) in the style similar to FFXV or FFXIII, but I would like to be able to switch to other characters at any time to control. The characters that switch to being controlled by AI, fall into back into their style specific to them such as Tifa acrobatically applying various basic melee attacks by jumping off of walls, etc - using her environment. (The style of the attack when the player selects it, would also be randomised the same way the game decides the style of the attack for the AI). In conjunction with that, players could set commands for the AI controlled characters to give them specific roles just like in FFXII. To add what someone said in this thread also - maybe the ability to swap out characters like FFX and making the game more tactical in tackling a foe to employ this.

2). Then there would be a "Classic/Original" mode option where the battle system is like-for-like of the original.

With this there would obviously be an option to switch between Classic and Modern when selecting a new game or changing between the two in-game. Faithful and modernised at the same time, suiting everyone's taste.

I also thought of just now. The battle mechanics in terms of characters Intelligence. With a foe that is susceptible to more physical damage from being attacked from behind, the higher INT an AI controlled character has, the more likely they are to jockey into a position to try and exploit such a weakness. You'd obviously tie it to the foe's INT, to be more aware of its weakness and position itself where the weakness can't be exploited. The same could apply to a players accuracy, from outright missing the foe, to causing critical hit. Again tied into the foe's agility, the foe could could just dodge the attack like a boss.

I think this would give battles a very realistic visual representation of stats and a clear visual growth of the characters through out the game, getting, stronger, faster, more intelligent etc. Just like you might see of a player in a sports game.

I've put too much thought into this. A guy can dream

Sephiroth
06-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I hope the Remake's name is

FINAL FANTASY VII REBORN

Or something along the line.

DarkMatta
06-19-2015, 12:28 PM
I hope the Remake's name is

FINAL FANTASY VII REBORN

Or something along the line.

Final Fantasy XIV already claims that one.

Sephiroth
06-19-2015, 12:30 PM
As if anyone cares about anything but Final Fantasy VII.

Shauna
06-19-2015, 12:43 PM
I think you'll find there are a lot of people excited about Heavensward. ;)

Sephiroth
06-19-2015, 12:45 PM
That is just because you guys are so confused because you are so excited about Final Fantasy VII that you cannot control your thoughts and other titles are slipping in. Actually you are only interested in VII.

maybee
06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't like Genesis, but I don't think "universally loathed" is accurate either. Hell, Crisis Core isn't even "universally played". Genesis is generally disliked, that's probably fair to say, though. I don't loathe Genesis.

This. Genesis does have his fandom.

Genesis hate is not on the same level as Umbridge or Joffery, not even close.

Forsaken Lover
06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I don't think Gackt is quite as popular as he once was. The odds of us seeing Genesis seem fairly low.

Kappy
06-19-2015, 04:30 PM
It all went downhill after Steve Hackett left.

-N-
06-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Man I remember when FF7 came out there was so much reaction from the developers and the fans to its incompleteness. Of course it's going to undergo changes. Upgrades, from the perspective of the developers. At the time I recall reading that the game was rushed through its later stages. I remember Nobuo Uematsu in particular regretted the lack of time for him to polish some of his music (he was caught between that and Dear Friends, I think?) I think the lack of time spent polishing the writing resulted in the ambiguity we relish and fume over today, but I think that is the primary thing they want to eliminate from the game.

The themes in FFX are just more clearly out there for you to see, ya?

Cloudane
06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
The one thing I've realised about fans of Final Fantasy is that we love a good whinge... about anything. It seems every element of every final fantasy games are both loved and loathed by fans. We all know that making this game and pleasing everyone is an impossible task. I know for a fact that there will be parts of this game that I won't like but I don't really care. I can't wait to see the world I know and love in gloriously fleshed-out HD.

If they change the battle system and it isn't to my taste then fine, I'll go and play the original again. If I want to wander around Cosmo Canyon in the way I've dreamt about, hopefully, I can do this in the remake.

I just can't wait to have another way of experiencing this world.

True for pretty much all geek things especially on the internet. Can't beat a good whinge :)
Could be worse.. Metroid fans.. Sonic fans..

But yeah at least there's always the old game for playing... well, the old game. In all its many-times-replayable turn-based materia mixing goodness.
There seemed to be a hint that it might see a graphical update too, or it might be reading too much into things.

Still, I'm really hoping we'll have updated versions of the same music and such, that would be cool!

Mercen-X
06-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Only thing that annoyed me about him had nothing to do with his character, just him being placed somewhere he didn't need to be.

This is true. I bet if Genesis had been introduced originally in any other SE game as the main villain, there would not be near as much hate for him as there is today, although they probably still would have decried him as "an inferior Sephiroth clone" (like Ansem). Two emotions inspire hate: fear and love. It's long been said there's a thin line between love and hate. I personally say there is no line. Hate is just a result of being unable to reconcile your love (or in some cases, fear) for something because you believe that "logically" it should have no meaning to you. For many FF fans, they see great similarity between Sephiroth and Genesis. As well they should. SE gave them virtually identical origin stories, abilities, and nearly even motives. By the end of Crisis Core, Genesis was seemingly even made perfect even in comparison to Sephiroth.

My favorite aspects about Genesis are
1) I like the name Genesis
2) I like the color red
3) I like the rapier
4) I like that he didn't whine consistently about his destiny and Jenova being his mother

My not-so-favorite aspects of Sephiroth
1) his long-ass sword is clearly compensating for something (same thing for Cloud) or represents their closeted homosexual need for each other (not that there's anything wrong with that)
2) how many serious villains do you know to whine about their mothers?

Ayen
06-20-2015, 12:25 AM
2) how many serious villains do you know to whine about their mothers?

I knew one who went on rants about his father, but that's not the same thing.

Fox
06-20-2015, 01:00 AM
The only reason I hate Genesis is because of what he did to LOVELESS. Going on and on about the "Gift of the Goddess" all the time. The whole thing is in a completely different style to what Cid talked about on the Highwind.

That play was a really nice background thing in FFVII, you barely ever see it - you just get a couple of posters in Midgar and then the chat with Cid near the end. For Genesis to bring it to the forefront and retcon the style really wound me up. So much so it's the only thing about him I remember, I don't even know what his plot was.

Mercen-X
06-20-2015, 04:27 AM
Wait, Cid talked about LOVELESS? How did I miss this? I replayed the game nigh-on nine times. I never knew anything about LOVELESS (other than the poster at the beginning of VII) until I played Crisis Core.

Ayen
06-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Wait, Cid talked about LOVELESS? How did I miss this? I replayed the game nigh-on nine times. I never knew anything about LOVELESS (other than the poster at the beginning of VII) until I played Crisis Core.

I don't even remember the poster.

BlasterDarkRen
06-20-2015, 05:01 AM

Cid talks about it on th Highwind. If you speak to him while aboard the ship on disc 3 he'll talk about it

maybee
06-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Cid talks about it on th Highwind. If you speak to him while aboard the ship on disc 3 he'll talk about it

Yup !

Cid
"You ever see the play 'LOVELESS'?"

***Cloud
Yes

Cid
"Yeah? Really? Well, that's fine."
"They've been doin' that play every summer since I was a kid."
"An' I remember seein' it just once..."
"That was when I was in Midgar interviewing to be a pilot."
"I had some free time and thought I'd catch the play."
"Now, I'm no big fan of the theater or anything."
"But this thing put me to sleep, just like I thought it would."
"Finally during the last scene, the guy next to me woke me up
tellin' me my snorin' was too loud."
"So about all I really remember of that play is the end..."
"The sister of the lead asks her lover,"

Cid
"Do you really have to leave?"

Cid
"And the guy says,"

Cid
"I promised. The people I love are waiting."

Cid
"......I don't understand. Not at all. But...... please take care
of yourself."

Cid
"Of course... I'll come back to you. Even if you don't promise to
wait. I'll return knowing that you'll be here."

Cid
"I remember thinking when I heard those lines,"
"*&%! What the hell's he talkin' about? But, you know... now I'm
not so sure..."
"I think I understand......

Mercen-X
06-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Hmm... I see... you know what I think? In my opinion, Cid messed it up. I mean, seriously. What the hell is he talking about? Cid is clearly not the kind of guy who can memorize dialogue verbatim. If this is the style people have been so desperate to preserve, well I can't react how I would like to without being an a-hole.

Ayen
06-21-2015, 07:29 AM
As is the case with Battletoads & Double Dragon, Genesis version is better.

Cloudane
06-21-2015, 12:38 PM
I suspect that bit of dialogue with Cid is one of the many moments in the game that didn't really survive the translation from Japanese to English. It doesn't really make any sense with or without Cid's apparent epiphany, but it probably did in the original dialogue. Though wasn't it basically a reference to one of those old black and white movies (Brief Encounter or something like that)? That's how I always saw it. If so it's been translated from English to Japanese and back again and as we've seen from messing with Google Translate that can do some pretty funky stuff :p
I'd love to see these various moments rewritten now they have a much bigger team behind it.

maybee
06-21-2015, 12:47 PM
As is the case with Battletoads & Double Dragon, Genesis version is better.

Hahha !

Genesis does what Sephirothdon't !

:lol:

Ffamran mied Bunansa
06-22-2015, 02:27 AM
I am really not worried. I've been waiting for this for years. If they manage to screw it up, well we still have the original. But I am actually pretty confident in Square's remaking abilities, it's one of the places they've never failed me. (As long as we ignore mobile 'remakes' *shudder*).

Silent Warrior
06-25-2015, 06:32 PM
Hm... I do recognise the points raised in the article, though I didn't actually think of many of them myself - but most of those concerns actually speculates on alterations to elements of FF7 that I wasn't all that happy with. I'm looking forward to the remake, whenever they actually release it.
:trout:

Skyblade
06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
While I'm worried about most of the points, I think the first one you pointed out is one we don't have to worry about, Fynn.

Bravely Default showed Square that turn based combat still has its place. I think the battle system will be relatively untouched.

Egami
06-25-2015, 07:06 PM
5. The game will play differently

It definitely will and Nomura has practically confirmed it. They are looking for a more realistic and immersive experience and personally I think that is a clear indication that stuff like random encounters and separate battle screens are going away (I won't miss them, really). I would be happy if they do a battle system similar to XII, with seamless battle and exploration as well as a gambit like system that lets the AI control your characters but which also allows you at any time to micromanage things. A system like that blended with the materia system of the original would provide quite a bit of depth and room for experimentation, not to mention it would be lots of fun.

1. The Final Fantasy VII remake will take forever to come out

I don't think that will be the case with the remake. For starters it looks like they are going to use the same engine as XV, so that alone cuts a lot of development time. They also do not need to expend the time needed to come up with all the characters, story and world as it is very much done already. The game has also been in production for over a year with plans to reveal more info this winter. I think it coming out in 2017 for the 20th anniversary of the game is a good bet.

Mercen-X
06-27-2015, 04:58 AM
Will they keep the boss lineup or will they add new ones and/or swap out old ones? Most bosses are one-offs with no plot relevance (Aps, Rapps, Schizo?) and can be replaced, any machines can be reimagined/renamed, any boss versions of the common mook such as Materia Keeper or Red Dragon can be replaced by more unique enemies)

The bosses most likely to be kept include the following:
Ultima Weapon (FF staple)
Hojo
Palmer (possibly because ShinRa)
Rufus (same)
The Turks (probably; and f-u, I hope to see some new Turks from BC)
Jenova
Sephiroth

Possible new bosses include:
Genesis (because f-u)

Bubba
06-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Genesis (because f-u)[/QUOTE]

That would be fucking horrendous. Which head do you chop off first?

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65032&stc=1

Fynn
06-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Genesis (because f-u)

That would be smurfing horrendous. Which head do you chop off first?

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65032&stc=1

I'd actually be down for that instead of the Genesis we got. Really, anything's better than Gackt in Mary Sue mode.

Egami
06-27-2015, 02:14 PM
I sure hope they don't include that abominaiton of a character called Genesis in the remake.

Ayen
06-27-2015, 02:21 PM
It's actually just going to be a giant SEGA Genesis robot. The battle will be set up for you to lose because nothing compares to the awesome power of the Genesis.

Nothing! :stare:

Sephiroth
06-27-2015, 04:05 PM
There is no reason to include a character that sleeps, except hinting him. Genesis is back for the sequel then. Just after Dirge of Cerberus.

Nice
06-29-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm ok with whatever changes, additions Square makes. The fact that they are remaking the game is incredible. I just hope that the world does not feel as "soulless" as Advent Children did.

black orb
07-02-2015, 08:02 AM
>>> My only concern is if I will have enough money to buy a PS4 when this game comes out.:luca:

fat_moogle
07-02-2015, 09:55 PM
>>> My only concern is if I will have enough money to buy a PS4 when this game comes out.:luca:
Pretty sure the PS4 would have received an official price drop by this point (I'm expecting one around E3 next year).

Alive-Cat
07-02-2015, 10:40 PM
the crazy bearded blue cetra rendered in realistic hd are going to be terrifying.

Mirage
07-03-2015, 01:53 AM
what crazy bearded blue cetra?

Skyblade
07-03-2015, 02:49 AM

These:

Mirage
07-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Oh, yeah. I think I've seen these, but I can't remember exactly where in the game. Never thought they were cetras, however. If they were, how would Aeris be the last surviving cetra?

-edit- oh of course, they're the dudes inside the temple of the ancients.

Sephiroth
07-03-2015, 09:35 AM
They are just remnants. Aerith is the only totally and completely existing Cetra.

fat_moogle
07-03-2015, 11:26 AM

These:
http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65130&stc=1

-edit- oh of course, they're the dudes inside the temple of the ancients.
I forgot about this guy. Don't they pop in and out of the caves or whatever when you're following them around the temple? Looking at it again now I see a cross between Ramuh and a Black Mage xD

Cloudane
07-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Now I want to know what that chocobo sage guy will look like :p

fat_moogle
07-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Now I want to know what that chocobo sage guy will look like :p
And the creepy guys in black capes at Nibelheim.

Big D
07-06-2015, 06:16 AM
My biggest worry with the remake is that Tetsuya Nomura is directing it. I honestly don't think he has the creativity or talent to "reimagine" the original game effectively. Remaking would be fine; reimagination is, I think, beyond him. Hopefully the remake team will have lots of input from other staff who worked on the original (aside from Mr Nomura) to help retain the same spirit.

Aulayna
07-06-2015, 09:57 PM
To be honest, my main concern is that Nomura is going to be directing it.

The last home console game he directed, that actually got released, was Kingdom Hearts II back in 2005. FFVersusXII/FFXV was in development forever, and we've seen more of it ever since he was shifted off the project.

The games he's directed that have been released, between KH2 and now, have all been handheld titles on the DS/3DS/PSP/Android/iOS. Heck, he is credited with the original concept for All The Bravest.

I have no qualms with him being the character designer, scenario producer... but I have no faith in him presently, as a Director.

Saber
07-07-2015, 03:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be exactly the same. They might make it 3d mapping 100%, whereas in VII you traveled mostly on pre-rendered backgrounds. It isn't until the world map you can turn the camera and look around. It was the great step out of Midgar!

The battle system will probably be redone but I don't really think Materia is being replaces with a spree grid. Even in Crisis Core you equip materia. I think they will add more and maybe make a change. Still I don't think we'll see a grid or license board. What is the point in magic rocks if you can't use them?

As far as outfits go we'll see some. I don't expect the graphics or dialog being the same. English translators have come a long way. We might see less dialog due to limiting voice acting. They might even add different places as well.

It's great that we are seeing a remake. I know it's going to be a long wait. Nearly 20 years of playing this game I have to say lately it's gotten old. I try to play it but the graphics are not all that great. Also there is just nothing to do anymore.

I'm gonna love the bike scene. The gold saucer battle arenas and chocobo racing. Boss fights I'm looking forward to seeing is Midgar Zolem, Ultima Weapon, Hojo, Demons Gate, and Sephiroth. All the characters are gonna look younger I think.

My views on Genesis : I don't mind him. He held his own against Sephiroth.

Mirage
07-07-2015, 04:29 AM
what does "3d mapping 100%" mean

Saber
07-07-2015, 04:51 AM

Most of VII you go the whole game without turning the camera. What I mean by 3d mapping is you can turn the map and see it from high/low, left/right. The world map and underwater is 3d mapping.

Sephiroth
07-07-2015, 10:12 AM
My views on Genesis : I don't mind him. He held his own against Sephiroth.

He did? I have the game three times and he couldn't even fight a way weaker past-self of Sephiroth once he started getting serious.

EDIT: Yesm one could say "change personality". The others would say, the personality they have always had but were not understood even though they were always there.

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Was going to make this post as a separate thread but realized it was too similar to this thread to warrant a separate one. While none of these are actual concerns for the game, as I don't care about the remake will not likely get around to it until it's bargain price anyway, I did have a lovely conversation with a friend about the remake and what we both expected to see until we're proven wrong when SE releases more info.

- No world map: The game will most likely build a world map closer to more recent FF games with a scaled world. The Highwind will work like X's airship with point and click features but the airship itself will be explorable.

- New battle system: While I'm sure it will probably be a new variation of ATB, I'm expecting it to feel closer to XII and XIII's camp with some possible KH influence. Expect one controllable character with two A.I. partners you can customize. Due to feeling Materia won't be dramatically altered, it feels safe to say the A.I. will probably be a more simplistic version of XII's Gambit system since XIII's version is too restrictive for a dynamic customization system like Materia. I wouldn't be surprised if there were mini-QTE style elements in battle like Xenoblade just because VII's battle system was known for being very visual based and I can see SE wanting the battle system to feel like Advent Children.

- No random encounters: Battling enemies on the field will probably be the same as XIII's system of seeing enemies, hitting them and going to the battle screen.

- Materia System will be altered somewhat: I imagine it will be closer to Crisis Core's system with Blue Materia removed and turned into accessories and possibly having Summon materia work differently so that it won't require the player to need to equip either in materia slots. Most of the new spells and abilities in the Compilation will be introduced in the game and expect Materia Fusion to be a thing, though probably enhanced for a console version.

- Enemy Skill Materia may be a no show or heavily altered: If the game is going to have a more action focused ATB system, I just don't see Blue Magic being part of that since it will involve slowing down combat when they want to keep it fast and visually high. Expect many of the spells to show up in materia form but either be merged with other Materia, like Beta being the fourth Lv Fire spell or being a new materia that grows like typical materia without the need to have enemies cast the spell on you.

- Limit Breaks will be altered: Mainly, I expect most of the character's Limit Breaks to work similar to VIII and X's versions with each character having some mini-game element to it. I also expect some characters to get new ones and some animations will certainly change. Cloud and Tifa are likely not going to change because they're too iconic by this point but I can see Red XIII, Cid and Barret getting some replaced with new ones. Some skills will also change like Yuffie and Xiii's final limits will probably become multi-hit attacks and I can see Aerith getting an offensive Limit Break to add variety to her mostly defensive sets.

- Cloud's Limit Breaks will probably get special treatment: I can totally see Cloud getting variations of his standard Limit Break animations based on being used in certain boss battles. I totally expect Cloud's Braver or Cross Slash Limits getting special theatrical animations when used against Rufus on the Shin-Ra Building or the battles against the Turks and Jenova.

- Sephiroth will get a Limit Break: I totally expect Sephiroth to have access to Octoslash in the Nibelheim Flashback and in the final dream duel.

- The Dream Duel will be longer, more cinematic, and less one sided: Expect it to play out more like a QTE that makes the battle look like Advent Children.

- There will get a new Ultimate Weapons: Because SE has done this with most of their remakes/enhanced ports so I don't see them changing it now. Most of the cast will probably retain their original Ultimate Weapons but I expect Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barret will get new ones. I am totally expecting Cloud's Buster Sword to pull a Chrono Trigger style Masemune upgrade, with Cloud doing a quest to find Zack's grave and having the Buster Sword upgraded into his new superweapon.

- Sapphire will be a new optional boss: He'll survive getting hit with the Junon cannon and join Ruby and Emerald as optional superbosses.

- There will be a few more optional bosses this time around: I expect Gilgamesh will make a return in Battle Square and while I feel he'll be largely absent from the actual game script beyond some references, I totally expect Genesis to be an optional boss you can fight in the Shin-Ra basement.

- Expect lots of references to the Compilation: The script will be altered to fit neatly in with the Compilation universe. While I don't expect to see Genesis in Nibelheim, I do expect to hear people murmuring about Genesis' rebellion, have Jessie talk about the original Avalanche, references to the other Turks, have several locations from the Compilation be accessible, and have reports in the Shin-Ra building talk about Deepground and Project G.

- Cissinei will probably be added into the game: I totally expect her to be the only real change from the compilation to make it into the game. Granted her role will probably be muted and not very big. Nomura said they wouldn't introduce any new characters to the story, but that doesn't mean they can't add old characters introduced from the rest of the Compilation.

Some of the interactive minigame events will changed/removed: While the bike race is iconic and will remain only with altered controls and better playability, I'm not sure about the submarine mission and snowboarding. The submarine section is a coin toss on whether it will survive based on the world design of the game. Snowboarding will likely be altered because the scene in question is kind of silly. With all that said, I expect the minigames to all appear in Wonder Square like the original game and I bet they will use the old PS1 graphics to boot.

- The Cross dressing sidequest will mostly be untouched: This part of the game is too iconic to be altered too much but expect the requirements to be expanded and to have the gay/drag queen characters toned down in fear of being hit by the PC police.

- Some characters will be changed in personality: I expect Heideggar and Scarlet to be less cartoony, Rufus more charming and less obviously evil, Palmer and Corneo will be more cartoonish and most returning characters will play out like their post VII appearances. Expect Gloom Cloud, Smug Sephiroth, and Wacky Reno to be their new default characterization.

- The script will be rewritten and better localized: It's going to feel closer to FFIV DS script where entire dialogue sections are rewritten to sound less cheesy. While some lines will probably stay for nostalgia ("This Guy are sick" and "Let's mosey") expect scenes like Barret's speech about the golden string of hope and Cloud's childish philosophical rant to Sephiroth about Aerith's death to be completely changed to sound more mature and less silly.

- Despite the changes, expect the game to still feel silly at times: I doubt the plot will be rewritten too much so there will be still some gnarmy moments and 16-bit logic plot threads to still remain in the game.

These are just some of the things my friend and I discussed.

Mirage
07-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Most of VII you go the whole game without turning the camera. What I mean by 3d mapping is you can turn the map and see it from high/low, left/right. The world map and underwater is 3d mapping.

Well if you meant a player controllable camera you should have said that!

Ayen
07-11-2015, 12:40 AM
- No random encounters: Battling enemies on the field will probably be the same as XIII's system of seeing enemies, hitting them and going to the battle screen.

That's probably the best change they can make, honestly. It won't be nearly as disruptive.

Fox
07-11-2015, 11:31 AM
A friend of mine absolutely loves random encounters, and I don't know why. They're the most annoying part of any old Final Fantasy game for me. Especially when you're in the middle of solving an environmental puzzle.

Say what you will about the atrocious Cloister of Trials in FFX, but imagine how much worse they would have been with encounters on. *shudder*

Fynn
07-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Meh, i don't really care if there are random encounters or not, personally. Both approaches are fine by me.

Ayen
07-11-2015, 12:30 PM
A friend of mine absolutely loves random encounters, and I don't know why. They're the most annoying part of any old Final Fantasy game for me. Especially when you're in the middle of solving an environmental puzzle.

Say what you will about the atrocious Cloister of Trials in FFX, but imagine how much worse they would have been with encounters on. *shudder*

I would have thrown my PS2 out the window.

Fynn
07-11-2015, 12:31 PM

I would have thrown my PS2 out the window.

I still think the Sun Sigil minigame is way worse than that :p