PDA

View Full Version : If you could remake any RPG

FFNut
06-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Just wondering, if you could remake any RPG and improve the graphics, speed, gameplay, all that Jazz which would it be? Would you bring an old classic out from the breath of fore series's? Or would you go like what they are doing now with Mother beginnings? Or maybe try to get Tatics Ogre redone and turn a new generation on to this epic game. Which would you choose to do.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 07:10 AM
The original Final Fantasy, solely because I would have more legroom with the story than any of the others since there wasn't much of it to begin with.

If I was feeling particularly courageous, I would give FFVI the same treatment FF VII is getting.

FFNut
06-17-2015, 07:37 AM
I'd love to remake VI as well, it's one of those games that once I got it, it never left my system for years. No statagy guide it was just me exploring it for the first time finding everything. I'd play it everyday for at least an hour for the first year I owned it. Beat it multiple times and would play again in a second if I didn't need a new controller for the system. (Got one on the way thanks to eBay) I still remember when you would find something new like finding Gogo when you thought your party was done for after getting eaten. Or the joys of the first time equipping the Moogle charm then heading up the Fanatics tower. Still love that game. (Runs off to check the mail box for the controller)

Pike
06-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Morrowind but all I want are better graphics and combat mechanics - I want the rest to stay exactly the same.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Morrowind but all I want are better graphics and combat mechanics - I want the rest to stay exactly the same.

I suggest you look into the Skywind project, if you haven't already, since that is more or less what they're trying to accomplish. Morrowind with a Skyrim facelift.

Although, I'm not sure if they're doing anything about the combat.

Pike
06-17-2015, 12:30 PM
I have played Skywind and while I enjoy it from a sort of "it's fun to mess around with" perspective it also changes too many of the fundamentals. It's basically just an addon to Skyrim, whereas I want Morrowind with a couple of small changes.

edit: thinking about it now I could also go for the original Deus Ex but with a facelift.

edit edit: also I want Arena and Daggerfall with combat/graphics updates.

triple edit: throw Fallout 1 & 2 into the mix.

LunarWeaver
06-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Chrono Trigger.

Ayen
06-17-2015, 02:36 PM
I have played Skywind and while I enjoy it from a sort of "it's fun to mess around with" perspective it also changes too many of the fundamentals. It's basically just an addon to Skyrim, whereas I want Morrowind with a couple of small changes.

edit: thinking about it now I could also go for the original Deus Ex but with a facelift.

edit edit: also I want Arena and Daggerfall with combat/graphics updates.

triple edit: throw Fallout 1 & 2 into the mix.

I didn't even realize the game was at a point where it could be played.

I'm bad at keeping up with these things.

Pike
06-17-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't think it is but they had an alpha release floating around at one point and I messed around with it. I don't think you can download it anymore.

Thinking about it, I could go for Oblivion redone in the Skyrim engine. I think someone might be doing that? If so I'm down with it.

Jinx
06-17-2015, 03:33 PM
FFVII was my big one. I'd like to see FFVI remade for 3DS.

Other than that, I'd really like to see Ocarina of Time remade with Twilight Princess graphics.

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Probably Xenogears, it's a game that needs a legitimate remake in order to finish it. The story is still great but the rest of it hasn't aged as well as I would have liked.

Loony BoB
06-17-2015, 06:30 PM
The pre-Morrowind TES games for WRPGs, and for JRPGs, probably FF1 for the reasons mentioned by ToriJ. Also, Excelsior. :D

Vermachtnis
06-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Digimon World. Have some more evolutions, a bigger island to explore with more townspeople to recruit, and character customization.

Bright Shield
06-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Xenogears. Disc 2 needs to be done in the same style as disc 1.

Vyk
06-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Think of your favorite SRPG

I would give it a world map. Towns. NPCs. Exploration. Down-time

My gut-reaction would be to just update Shining Force with Fire Emblem Awakening graphics. Which would make me completely blow my load in the end, for sure. But it could easily be done in reverse as well. Give Fire Emblem, Shining Force's exploration, towns, overworld, and all that jazz. And every other JSRPG ever

Ah...

Loony BoB
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Towns.
*invades yer games*

Freya
06-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Digimon World. Have some more evolutions, a bigger island to explore with more townspeople to recruit, and character customization.
Duuuuude yes the original one. Not the attempt at an rpg fight one. Raising freaking digimon was amazing.

Bolivar
06-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Shining Force II, with a slight 3D makeover, kinda what Nintendo did with A Link Between Worlds, for Vita. Looking at screenshots of the game, I think all those colors would really pop on the OLED screen.

I still really want my Dragon Quest VIII/Final Fantasy XII combo pack for PS4/Vita crossbuy! Upping the native resolution and aspect ratio is all those games need for a satisfying HD port.

I've seen Skyblivion and it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as a modded Oblivion. Those guys are really wasting their time.

Laddy
06-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Part of me wants to say Planescape: Torment but I think it would lose more from the experience than it would gain.

Some of my favorite options would be Phantasy Star IV, Ultima IV or VII, Dragon Quest III, or most definitely Legend of Dragoon​.

Plus the Tales games that never got over here.

NeoCracker
06-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Breath of Fire 2.

Just imagine how awesome and chilling some of the scenes in the St. Eva church would be with full orchestration and HD?

Also some of the best SNES character sprites brought into HD.

Mercen-X
06-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Alundra 2 (got it online, never played the first one), Guardian Quest (I loved it, but poor graphics and no voices... come on), Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle, Steambot Chronicles (a lot of the gameplay could use tweaking), Rogue Galaxy (I haven't finished it, but a lot of people who played it feel the story is slow and boring)

Ffamran mied Bunansa
06-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Chrono Trigger.

This is the correct answer.

escobert
06-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Hmmm. Probably Saga Frontier 2. While I LOVE the graphics the way they are, the water color backgrounds are amazing, the other things could be updated a bit. The story is fantastic and if the series had ever received more attention in the US I would have been very pleased!

fat_moogle
06-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Chrono Trigger.

I've never played the original so I'd like to see this game remade.

Also it would be interesting to see a remake of Golden Sun. I never had the game myself but I used to love playing it on my friends gameboy.

Vyk
06-29-2015, 02:20 AM
I figured everyone thought Chrono Trigger was already perfect

Big D
06-29-2015, 03:37 AM
If I was feeling particularly courageous, I would give FFVI the same treatment FF VII is getting.This. Also, Vagrant Story.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
06-29-2015, 08:06 PM
I figured everyone thought Chrono Trigger was already perfect

It is pretty damn close to perfection, but a remake isn't going to destroy the old versions. I'd love to see the game realized with Dragon Quest VIII style graphics.

Spuuky
06-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Gothic 1 and 2.

Lawr
06-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Seriously you guys?! Nobody mentioned Legend of Dragoon?!

BlasterDarkRen
06-30-2015, 01:11 AM
Chrono Trigger.

This was my first choice

Also Star Ocean 1 and 2 with modern graphics. The PSP games are a start since they added the anime cutscenes but I'd love a fully upgraded game

Vyk
06-30-2015, 01:38 AM
Seriously you guys?! Nobody mentioned Legend of Dragoon?!
Wow, that's a really good idea. I'd say Legend of Legaia, now that you mention it

Randy
07-01-2015, 01:02 PM
I would've said FF7. But since they're doing that, maybe just a redrawn HD version of FF6. Along the lines of the PSP port of FF4 would be nice.

For non-RPGs, we desperately need a full current gen graphics Mario 64 remake.