PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone else be interested in this idea?

FFNut
06-18-2015, 09:16 AM
I always thought the RPG maker was a great idea. However it was always limited to what you could create due to storage space, and then you could never let anyone else play without giving up a memery card to them to deal with.

I always thought it would would work better on a PC where you could create then upload it to a site where you and other members could download and swap as you wished. If it's out there already I've never seen it yet, but I always thought that would be the way to do it up right. Anyone else think that?

Mirage
06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
As far as I know, it is out on PC. I think I saw it in the most recent steam sale.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 11:01 AM
I know you could use RPG Maker on a console, but I genuinely don't know why you would since it makes infinitely more sense to do it on a PC.

But yeah, it's definitely available, and swapping games is a thing that already exists. Back in the day, there was an EoFF RPG Maker RPG.

Mirage
06-18-2015, 11:10 AM
it's actually still on sale. Better grab it while it still is.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 11:15 AM
I got RPG Maker and a bunch of other rubbish related to it when it was part of a Humble Bundle. Best decision ever, especially as I haven't even touched it.

Vyk
06-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Be sure to get VX or VX Ace, as I think those, being the newest versions, are the only ones where you can run your game as a separate .exe. The other versions of RPG Maker required people to install an RPG Maker compatibility thing to run the game. Basically installing the software, without actually being able to use it, since they didn't pay for it. Or if they had a version of RPG Maker it would work. But anyway. You'll get the widest distribution with the newer ones

Though I must admit, I tend to ignore RPG Maker games on Steam and other indie sites, as I've never come across any phenomenal RPG Maker games. The best of the best are generally just "okay" by most standards. It's just so easy for lazy people to get one and slap on some pre-made world and battle assets without taking the time to build it up themselves and give it its own soul. You end up getting 20 games that all look and play the same but had slightly varying stories

I'm more likely to get interested in indie visual novels like Corpse Party that use the engine, as at least then, you'll have a story unique from everyone else, and not have the same random encounters and battles as Generic RPG 102

But that's just me. There is a large, and thriving fanbase within the RPG Maker community. And lots of really good tutorials and assets on their site. They really try hard to make their users succeed at whatever they're trying to create. And for that, I commend them. I'm just personally tired of seeing their games. I'd rather someone bend another engine to create and RPG. I've seen a couple of good ones with Game Maker(?) I think it's called, which if memory serves me, is like RPG Maker, but for platformer games, rather than RPGs. I think you get more interesting results when you're unconventional. Hence me liking RPG Maker visual novels over RPG Maker RPGs lol

Ayen
06-18-2015, 05:04 PM
I know you could use RPG Maker on a console, but I genuinely don't know why you would since it makes infinitely more sense to do it on a PC.

Seems to happen when the person in question doesn't know about the PC version

To think I spent all that time typing with a PS2 controller. NEVER AGAIN!

Galuf
06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
if you can use Ruby coding then its even better. but yes if you want to publish the game to a site. make sure you use VX or VX ace ( i only used VX ace and XPsoo)
and XP had non translucent backgrounds to all graphics when i tried to export it.
but VX ace doesnt do that. plus it allows you to put in ALL the ff music ya want.
Hyeh Hyeh!