PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else worried the remake will limit the player to Cloud?

8ther
06-18-2015, 10:31 PM
With Nomura confirming (http://www.engadget.com/www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/) that the gameplay won't be turn-based like the original, it's safe to say the remake will be an action rpg just like XV and Kingdom Hearts which i'm personally fine with, however i have this lingering fear that like those aforementioned games the player will limit to only the main character with the rest of the main cast non-playable being AI partners, Anyone else feel this way?

Shauna
06-18-2015, 10:33 PM
He didn't say it wouldn't be turn based though...?

8ther
06-18-2015, 10:45 PM
He didn't say it wouldn't be turn based though...?His words in the interview kind of implied that it will be the case...

The comedy or the lighthearted parts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MZmLr_cic) -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

Shauna
06-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Doesn't mean it won't be turn based. It just means they won't all be static waiting for their turn. Who knows what they might pull out the bag!

fat_moogle
06-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Like Shauna says, he didn't actually state that. He's telling people that there will be a change, but that doesn't equal a confirmation on this.

NeoCracker
06-18-2015, 11:20 PM
It doesn't even sound like a change to combat. It sounds like he wants to change the way the animations are handled. :p

Fox
06-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Like Shauna says, he didn't actually state that. He's telling people that there will be a change, but that doesn't equal a confirmation on this.

Best case scenario: the X-2 battle system. That would glorious with FFVII characters on the PS4.

TrollHunter
06-19-2015, 12:20 AM
"it's safe to say the remake will be an action rpg just like XV and Kingdom Hearts"

Thats a bit of a leap there don't you think? While it could be argued, it doesn't seem safe to say that at all, especially this early on after its been announced. We haven't seen any gameplay of it yet so we don't know what they have up their sleeves. It could imply an overhaul to the combat or it could merely be referring to the animation style of the original. While speculation is fun let's try and hold off on jumping to such conclusions until we've seen actual gameplay.

Elly
06-19-2015, 12:54 AM
keep in mind they may have been testing the waters on peoples opinion on turn based battle system with the HD Remasters of FF X/X-2... if the sales of those are satisfactory they may have reconsidered their stance of Turn-based being too old-hat for new game systems...
i'm personally hoping for something like FFX where you can swap out characters on the fly but they'll be moving all around the battlefield in reaction to various attacks as opposed to standing in formation... like for example when they dodge an attack they could wind up to the side of or eventually behind their enemies, and conversely the enemy AI should do the same...

Formalhaut
06-19-2015, 01:25 AM
keep in mind they may have been testing the waters on peoples opinion on turn based battle system with the HD Remasters of FF X/X-2... if the sales of those are satisfactory they may have reconsidered their stance of Turn-based being too old-hat for new game systems...
i'm personally hoping for something like FFX where you can swap out characters on the fly but they'll be moving all around the battlefield in reaction to various attacks as opposed to standing in formation... like for example when they dodge an attack they could wind up to the side of or eventually behind their enemies, and conversely the enemy AI should do the same...

I'm down with that, actually.

fat_moogle
06-19-2015, 01:48 AM

Best case scenario: the X-2 battle system. That would glorious with FFVII characters on the PS4.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Ayen
06-19-2015, 01:50 AM
No. No I am not. I'm sure the internet is going crazy, though.

Carl the Llama
06-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Also, what do you hope for in the remake? I have a list:

Battle system like FFX-2 fast but still turn based.
This guy are sick.
Optional costume for Barret (sailor suit) Cloud (drag) and Tifa (Advent Children).

8ther
06-19-2015, 04:17 AM
I'm not familiar with X-2's battle style, how different is it compared to ATB?

Fynn
06-19-2015, 05:53 AM
It's regular ATB, just really fast and the characters don't stand in a neat line.

Wolf Kanno
06-19-2015, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they used some variation of XIII's system for the sake of new fans who probably didn't grow up with classic ATB. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to rev up the speed and chose the make only one character playable and the other two A.I. controlled a la FFXII/XIII/Type-0. SE has been kind of moving away from "traditional" turn base beyond throw back titles like Bravery Default.

Del Murder
06-19-2015, 06:32 AM
FFVII with FFX-2's battle system would be a dream come true. I think they'll speed up battles for sure but full action RPG is very unlikely and a Cloud-only with AI controlled party is somewhat unlikely.

Sephiroth
06-19-2015, 07:16 AM
It is quite nonsensical to worry about every little detail that has not even been nearly mentioned. That is almost like with Dragon Ball Super. A new series comes out. One minor detail and the world starts worrying or even ranting about something that was not even said.

So, just do not think too much about that. And even if - Cloud was party-locked in the original anyway. Yes, that fear is about something different. But there was already a limitation in the first place. And XIII-2 also was able to switch between Noel and Serah. I am sure that they will think through the best way very well. I am more concerned about the Overworld Map probably going away.

Mirage
06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
It's regular ATB, just really fast and the characters don't stand in a neat line.

And some actions have flipped ATB gauges, and there are chain attacks. Some attacks also depend on position on the battlefield, and if you're unlucky, a character might actually not get to the enemy in time if she is blocked by too many things.

Fynn
06-19-2015, 07:59 AM
It is quite nonsensical to worry about every little detail that has not even been nearly mentioned. That is almost like with Dragon Ball Super. A new series comes out. One minor detail and the world starts worrying or even ranting about something that was not even said.

So, just do not think too much about that. And even if - Cloud was party-locked in the original anyway. Yes, that fear is about something different. But there was already a limitation in the first place. And XIII-2 also was able to switch between Noel and Serah. I am sure that they will think through the best way very well. I am more concerned about the Overworld Map probably going away.

Well, yeah, but getting an open world instead would be amazing!

Sephex
06-19-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm not worried right now. I'll "worry" about it when I see some actual gameplay (and other stuff too)!

theundeadhero
06-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Active Combat with Battle Speed turned all the way up was never slow to begin with. I don't know what changes they're making but I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe they'll surprise me though.

Loony BoB
06-19-2015, 12:22 PM
I they use XIII-2's combat system, with all three characters being useable in the same style as Noel-Serah, then I'll be happy. I expect it'll be something like that.

DarkMatta
06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
I'll echo what I said in another thread.

If they want to update it but still keeping in-touch with the original. I wouldn't mind these two options:

1). I wouldn't mind a new battle system (called "Modern" mode or something similar) in the style similar to FFXV or FFXIII, but I would like to be able to switch to other characters at any time to control. The characters that switch to being controlled by AI, fall into back into their style specific to them such as Tifa acrobatically applying various basic melee attacks by jumping off of walls, etc - using her environment. (The style of the attack when the player selects it, would also be randomised the same way the game decides the style of the attack for the AI). In conjunction with that, players could set commands for the AI controlled characters to give them specific roles just like in FFXII. To add what someone said in this thread also - maybe the ability to swap out characters like FFX and making the game more tactical in tackling a foe to employ this.

2). Then there would be a "Classic/Original" mode option where the battle system is like-for-like of the original.

With this there would obviously be an option to switch between Classic and Modern when selecting a new game or changing between the two in-game. Faithful and modernised at the same time, suiting everyone's taste.

I also thought of just now. The battle mechanics in terms of characters Intelligence. With a foe that is susceptible to more physical damage from being attacked from behind, the higher INT an AI controlled character has, the more likely they are to jockey into a position to try and exploit such a weakness. You'd obviously tie it to the foe's INT, to be more aware of its weakness and position itself where the weakness can't be exploited. The same could apply to a players accuracy, from outright missing the foe, to causing critical hit. Again tied into the foe's agility, the foe could could just dodge the attack like a boss.

I think this would give battles a very realistic visual representation of stats and a clear visual growth of the characters through out the game, getting, stronger, faster, more intelligent etc. Just like you might see of a player in a sports game.

I've put too much thought into this. A guy can dream.

Carl the Llama
06-19-2015, 11:47 PM
I they use.

You good at them word things.

BlasterDarkRen
06-20-2015, 03:02 AM
I'd quite like it to be something like Star Ocean III. Three party members, you only control one, but you can switch which one you control at will as well as set AI behaviours.