PDA

View Full Version : Hard or soft shell tacos?

Pike
06-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Well?

Night Fury
06-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Both are great! I prefer soft shell for fish and chicken, but the hard shell for chilli beef or pork!

Pike
06-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I realized I forgot to put an "it depends" option so I added one!

Shauna
06-24-2015, 11:03 AM
I have only ever had one taco in my life and it was hard shell. I feel like I have not experienced enough to make a reasonable decision.

Formalhaut
06-24-2015, 11:11 AM
I've never had a taco before. :shobon:

Pike
06-24-2015, 11:17 AM
You know, growing up in the States, I've been exposed to Mexican food basically my entire life and it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be that way elsewhere until I visited the UK and your menus had to explain how to actually pronounce "taquito".

Like, I'm not even trying to take the piss here or anything, it had just never occurred to me that other people didn't grow up surrounded by things like taquitos and tamales and quesadillas.

Formalhaut
06-24-2015, 11:48 AM
You know, growing up in the States, I've been exposed to Mexican food basically my entire life and it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be that way elsewhere until I visited the UK and your menus had to explain how to actually pronounce "taquito".

Like, I'm not even trying to take the piss here or anything, it had just never occurred to me that other people didn't grow up surrounded by things like taquitos and tamales and quesadillas.

You're right. I hardly ever encounter Mexican food in my daily travels. We have fajitas, they are quite popular. but no, I really don't see much. A shame, I was talking to Noxy about this on another thread and I think I'd really love Mexican food.

Ayen
06-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Hard shell. Always.

Mirage
06-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Hard is just a mess.

Shauna
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM

I think it depends on where you are and who you know. I know of... one Mexican restaurant in Glasgow (and it's ridiculously expensive for tiny portions). But, that being said, I went to Pancho Villas quite a bit as a kid so I had a fair bit of exposure to this place and the foods there because my Mum liked it. Also something something Hispanic family something something.

Also having to explain to a British person how to pronounce ~anything~ is widespread across all languages. Pollo with a hard L sound? You betcha. Chorizo with a tz sound like in pizza? Why not! It's chronic.

FFNut
06-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Soft shell all the way, I feel I may as well put beef on a plate and smush up a bunch of corn chips on top with the hard shells.

Shorty
06-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Soft! Always soft. As Mirage said, hard is a mess.

Pumpkin
06-24-2015, 05:16 PM
I like it them hard

Mirage
06-24-2015, 05:20 PM
I bet you do!

Sephex
06-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Hard. Yeah, yeah, you can put more stuff in a soft shell. It's about the texture for me.

noxious.sunshine
06-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Soft shell, with a corn tortilla. That's been heated up over a low gas flame or in a dry skillet (preferably gas flame).. Or grilled. None of that heating up in the microwave bs.

I will make homemade hard shell tacos on occasion though. I'll do ground beef with chopped russet potato, garlic, onion, jalepeno, and some seasonings and maybe add just a little bit of tomato sauce. Then I'll lightly fry a corn tortilla until it's soft enough to fold in half, add some of the filling, fold, and fry in oil until crispy!

I'm not really a fan of flour tortillas anymore. They're too filling. Plus corn ones are much better for you.

Skyblade
06-25-2015, 04:42 PM
No real preference. They're both fantastic.