PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of the Storm

Pike
06-24-2015, 11:03 AM
There was another thread on this but it was kind of old so I figured we'd start fresh.

It's a MOBA full of Blizzard characters. I'm not a huge MOBA person honestly (the genre just doesn't do much for me, and I say this as someone who played the original DotA back in like 2006) but I like being Kael'thas and destroying people as the glorious superior blood elves. :smug: Especially Stormpunk Kael'thas, this is just absolutely AMAZING, best skin

so yeah who are your favorite characters to play?? I also like Diablo and Rehgar (but mostly Kael'thas)

Freya
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
I played the beta(or was it alpha, shit i don't remember it was moooonths ago) thanks to aul. I liked it but I'm really bad at those games. They only had like 3 or 4 characters at the time. Haven't touched it since.

I like all the Blizz characters though

Spuuky
06-24-2015, 11:21 PM
I've played 10-15 games with random free heroes, I don't have any attachment to any of them. It's basically Dota for people who only have tens of hours instead of thousands of hours to commit to it; much lower barrier of entry, much less depth over the extremely long haul, from what I can tell. It's certainly fine but it's not going to pull "real" MOBA players to it.

Spuuky
06-27-2015, 04:06 AM
UPDATE: I played a game today so I have a favorite so far, Nazeebo is cool.

Bolivar
06-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Does it really not have the same skill curve as Dota? A lot of that is informed by the metagame, so I assume we won't really know until HotS has been out for a few months.

Spuuky
06-29-2015, 09:04 PM
There's just way less to know and way less to "decide," so there's inherently a far lower barrier to entry. In Dota I have to know my hero; all allied heroes; all opposing heroes (there are a lot more in Dota than HotS). But I also have to know a lot about many, many items and what they all mean/cost/etc. In HotS those do't exist.

In Dota as I get better I also have to understand lane equilibrium, stack/pull techniques, whatever other dumb quirks, and I have to have mechanical skill regarding last-hitting/denying/aggro management, etc. In HotS there's none of this basically, or at least none that seems to matter much to me.

Plus a smaller map with faster traversal speed and fewer options for traversing it (since no BoT/mobility items/etc) is inherently "simpler" and more forgiving than a larger map where you have to make important decisions much further in advance of the actual moment of conflict.