PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Extraterrestrial Fear

Colonel Angus
07-19-2015, 05:02 PM
If aliens landed on Earth, what do you fear the most that they might do?

Mr. Carnelian
07-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Why should I fear any of these things?

It seems inconceivable that beings could travel such unimaginable distances just to torment us.

Colonel Angus
07-19-2015, 06:17 PM

It seems inconceivable that beings could travel such unimaginable distances just to torment us.
So you're saying that Hollywood is filled w/ big fat liars. Are you calling Hollywood a big fat liar?

Mr. Carnelian
07-19-2015, 06:21 PM

So you're saying that Hollywood is filled w/ big fat liars. Are you calling Hollywood a big fat liar?

Doesn't that go without saying? :spin:

Slothy
07-19-2015, 06:22 PM

If we had the technology to travel to other planets and knew for a fact that aliens existed, I could absolutely see certain factions of humanity advocating their complete annihilation. I see no reason to believe that other races may not be prepared to come to Earth guns blazing if they ever chose to. Assuming they're anything like us at least. And if they're truly alien to us then we really can't even conceive of what motives they may have in traveling the stars.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Definitely the probing.

Vermachtnis
07-19-2015, 07:05 PM
I heard the job market around Alkaid is horrible.

Slothy
07-19-2015, 10:46 PM
I never did actually answer. Obviously their interest in human horn worries me. Especially if they ever figure out where the actual horn is.

Pumpkin
07-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Interalien relationships. WHAT'S NEXT, VOTING?!?!?!

Seriously, I dunno. Probably Earth acting like asses

Ayen
07-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Interalien relationships. WHAT'S NEXT, VOTING?!?!?!

On the upside, I'm sure every race, gender, sexuality, and religion would come together as a single species in order to be prejudice to the various alien races we encounter in the stars.

Crop
07-19-2015, 11:52 PM
That there are no extraterrestrials.

fire_of_avalon
07-20-2015, 02:07 AM
The ole' probing without calling. WTF is that even. Jerkasses.

escobert
07-20-2015, 04:28 AM
I'm going to preface this with I very much believe there is extraterrestrial life and I firmly believe they have been visiting earth for a very long time. I think they would have already been hostile if that was their intention. Did anyone ever see this video? Maybe you Canadians know more about this guy and if he's just a crazy person or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuqZbjxB_E

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 04:38 AM
This poll reminded me of this:

KBhru5nLpGE

Fynn
07-20-2015, 06:05 AM

Pretty much.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Pretty much.

I'm pretty sure the Native Americans felt the same way about Europeans. ;)

Fynn
07-20-2015, 06:53 AM
I doubt the aliens are white, though XD

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 10:55 AM

Pretty much.

There's a BIG difference between travelling across the globe and travelling across the vastness of space.

Plus, chances are that any alien life is either far less advanced than us - in which case they won't be space travelling - or far more advanced than us, in which case it's hard to see how they could possibly gain by taking over our planet, or whatever. They might not even take much interest in us, necessarily.

On a related note, I've got another fear that could go on the list. If advanced aliens turn up and their purposes are benevolent towards us, rather than malevolent, they might well make us realise what horrible, horrible people we all are. See Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, where a bunch of aliens who look like demons show up and point out all the stuff we're doing wrong.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Pretty much.

There's a BIG difference between travelling across the globe and travelling across the vastness of space.

Plus, chances are that any alien life is either far less advanced than us - in which case they won't be space travelling - or far more advanced than us, in which case it's hard to see how they could possibly gain by taking over our planet, or whatever. They might not even take much interest in us, necessarily.

On a related note, I've got another fear that could go on the list. If advanced aliens turns up and their purposes are benevolent towards us, rather than malevolent, they might well make us realise what horrible, horrible people we all are. See Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, where a bunch of aliens who look like demons show up and point out all the stuff we're doing wrong.

Yeah, this is kinda how I'm imagining things.

I'm actually writing a sci-fi book about a similar topic.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:20 AM
They'd come in peace, see how horrible of a species we are, and then wipe us off the face of the galaxy for the betterment of the entire universe before we develop space travel and start ruining other planets inhabited by alien life.

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Prove to us that our gods are false

I'm worried the OPPOSITE will happen and the general theist population will be unwilling to accept the proof and use that as an excuse to make the aliens go away.

Slothy
07-20-2015, 12:54 PM
or far more advanced than us, in which case it's hard to see how they could possibly gain by taking over our planet, or whatever.

Unless they have the ability to literally create all forms of matter from energy (in which case kudos to them) then their resources will always remain finite to some degree. That's reason enough to spread across the galaxy and take new planets.

Old Manus
07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Biggest Extraterrestrial Fear
That David Icke is human.

Sephiroth
07-20-2015, 02:28 PM
That the alien(s) that land on Earth is/are

JENOVA
Lavos
Freeza
or a Xenomorph Army

This would be really bad.

Slothy
07-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Is it sad that I'd love the chance to fight off Xenomorphs?

Ayen
07-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Is it sad that I'd love the chance to fight off Xenomorphs?

No way, man. That'd be epic as smurf. Think of all the Bruce Campbell lines you can make.

Bubba
07-20-2015, 02:49 PM
My biggest fear is that the human race discover that we have been secretly living amongst them for seventy years. I really hope they don't realise that only 60% of the current world population are in fact human. We, The Quagaargs, are biding our time until there is only a 25% human representation. We will then devour the remainder in a 30-day ceremony known as 'The Cleansing'.

theundeadhero
07-20-2015, 03:58 PM
What if they come to torment us because they simply don't have anything better to do? What if space travel is incredibly easy to them and they're just bored looking for a fight. Technology more advanced then ours doesn't mean they're morally or spiritually better than us.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 04:50 PM

Pretty much.

On a related note, I've got another fear that could go on the list. If advanced aliens turns up and their purposes are benevolent towards us, rather than malevolent, they might well make us realise what horrible, horrible people we all are. See Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, where a bunch of aliens who look like demons show up and point out all the stuff we're doing wrong.

Honestly, if they are advanced enough to freely travel across the universe by light year travel, then it isn't really a big difference in analogy. Second, unless their technology is so advanced they don't really require resources or at least not the ones we can give, the most pragmatic reason for space travel is expansion and gaining access to new resources so a planet with life would automatically mean we have the resources that another lifeform may need to survive, unless of course their evolution was radically different from our own, in which case they may not even perceive us the same way we do them and they may eliminate us on accident. I feel the aliens of Independence Day are more likely to be out first encounter than say... the Vulcans.

Then again, I'm a fan of the Great Filter Theory and Fermi Paradox.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
My biggest fear is that the human race discover that we have been secretly living amongst them for seventy years. I really hope they don't realise that only 60% of the current world population are in fact human. We, The Quagaargs, are biding our time until there is only a 25% human representation. We will then devour the remainder in a 30-day ceremony known as 'The Cleansing'.

By Zagmok's beard, you're not supposed to TELL THEM! :irked:

We're going to have to accelerate the plan now, you fool! :argh:

Fynn
07-20-2015, 06:00 PM

By Zagmok's beard, you're not supposed to TELL THEM! :irked:

We're going to have to accelerate the plan now, you fool! :argh:

Wait.

Does that mean Formy's a Quagaarg too, or do you intend to devour him as well?

Formalhaut
07-20-2015, 06:01 PM
I've literally not a one as to what you guys are on about.

Shauna
07-20-2015, 06:03 PM
With that one comment he's confirmed as Quagaarg.

Formalhaut
07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
:shobon:

Fynn
07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Aw man.

I love me some tragic love stories. :whimper:

Shorty
07-20-2015, 06:51 PM

Yep. The aliens will visit us all cool and then we'll put them in borderline concentration camps like in District 9 and then the mothership will arrive and be like "you've been doing fucking what with our people" and then we'll be obliterated.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 06:53 PM
^ Crap like that is why my brother always says, "I'm siding with the aliens."

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
There's no point worrying about what aliens will be like, because we can't really imagine it.

All the fears and hopes people have about aliens are really just reflections of their opinions of human beings. When someone says "Aliens would conquer and enslave us", what they're really saying is that that's what they think humans would do in that position.

Aliens are the 'Other' onto which we project our worst fears about ourselves.

When someone says they're scared of aliens, they're actually just scared of human beings.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 07:02 PM
I personally can't wait for aliens!

Ayen
07-20-2015, 07:12 PM
All the fears and hopes people have about aliens are really just reflections of their opinions of human beings.

I wonder what that says about BioWare's views of humanity.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 07:17 PM
All the fears and hopes people have about aliens are really just reflections of their opinions of human beings.

I wonder what that says about BioWare's views of humanity.

That they have a relatively realistic view of humanity: some people are good, some are bad, and most are somewhere in-between.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-20-2015, 08:16 PM
That they're giant, amorphous clouds of intelligent gas that take up the same volume of space as our entire solar system, and fart thermonuclear explosions as a form of communication.

First contact will not go well between our peoples.

Colonel Angus
07-20-2015, 11:55 PM
That they're giant, amorphous clouds of intelligent gas that take up the same volume of space as our entire solar system, and fart thermonuclear explosions as a form of communication.

First contact will not go well between our peoples.
I think that was the plot of the 2nd Fantastic Four movie.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I have long since been trying to figure out who the other invaders were, and it ends up being the smurfing Quagaargs? We had a treaty, and this is clearly under my planet's jurisdiction. This shall be considered an act of war. Your plans will be all for naught once your people are obliterated along with all of earth.

black orb
08-08-2015, 04:36 AM
>>> I dont like the idea of being alien`s food.
I would rather have forced sex/reproduction with sexy alien woman.:luca: