PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction or Post-Apocalyptic Fiction?

Lazerface
06-27-2015, 10:48 PM
When it comes down to your favorite games, movies, books, and art. Which do you like better? I tend to lean more to Science fiction stuff because I've noticed a lot of Science fiction become science fact. I don't really like to think about post-apocalyptic and then it actually happens and we all die out. It implies the future is dead and dark, a self imposed dark age where everything regresses and doesn't go forward like science fiction. Besides, to me post-apocalyptic depresses me a bit and it feels a bit repetitive in how everything goes down. Different causes, same story. Which do you like better?

Jinx
06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
I think the two cross over a lot. And I love both. But I really, really love post-apocalyptic stuff.

Shorty
06-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Oh god, I love both genres so much, don't make me choose ;-;

When push comes to shove, overall, I'll take science fiction. But Fallout New Vegas is my favorite game so :jess:

I think you're wrong about post-apocalyptic games being pretty much a dead end regression, though. The things that spring up from post-apocalyptic scenarios are wonderful, and especially in Fallout, there are a good deal many science fiction elements such as robots, weaponry, and overall an abundance of neat technology.

edit: I totally thought this was in general gaming

Madame Adequate
06-28-2015, 12:23 AM
Science fiction. But post-apoc is a longstanding love of mine.

Post-apocalyptic stuff can be done in many, many ways though. Some are about the end of the species or the like, like The Quiet Earth or The Road. Some are much less pessimistic though, like in A Canticle For Leibowitz or The Postman.

Vyk
06-28-2015, 02:20 AM
I can tolerate a market over-saturated with science-fiction. I don't think I can tolerate a market over-saturated with post-apocalyptic. They'd have to work a lot harder to set themselves apart if it starts to become like "just another zombie story" things get these days with the over-saturation of zombie love. I don't think a lot of creators today choose science-fiction "because its cool" the way they tend to do with post-apocalyptic and zombies. Science fiction is just a realm in which things are more likely to happen, so it's a natural fit for certain types of stories, much like fantasy. If you want high tech, sci-fi; if you want dragons, fantasy. If you want waste-lands, post-apoc... And while I like things like Fallout, that have honed the artform, I really enjoy the breaths of fresh-air post-apocalyptic stories like Enslaved: Journey to the West, and what Horizon: New Dawn is shaping up to be.

Though this opinion is based mostly on games, and a perceived notion regarding movies (as I don't watch many movies, but I don't want thousands of Mad Max movies running around). I haven't read a lot of post-apocalyptic books. That might be a richer medium, for all I know

Ayen
06-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Science Fiction. Easy choice for me. Never been that into Post-Apocalyptic.

Lazerface
06-28-2015, 04:24 AM
Sci Fi has some pretty good stories with some great morals.

escobert
06-28-2015, 04:34 AM
Post-Apocalyptic without a doubt.

Lazerface
06-28-2015, 02:37 PM
The problem with post-apocalyptic is it's usually short term and recovery is inevitable. Unless all life died out on the planet. The 1st Dark Age lasted only 524 years and then the Middle Ages happened. If a 2nd Dark Age happened from a Nuclear War, Zombie Apocalypse, or an Asteroid Impact event we'd probably recover in a shorter amount of time and enter a more modern Middle Age.

Shiny
06-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Movie and game wise I enjoy both equally, but show and book wise post apoacalyptic. I don't really have a particular reason for that. Maybe I feel I could relate to that slightly more since that is probably we're we are heading. Wow, that got morbid.

escobert
06-28-2015, 04:46 PM
The problem with post-apocalyptic is it's usually short term and recovery is inevitable. Unless all life died out on the planet. The 1st Dark Age lasted only 524 years and then the Middle Ages happened. If a 2nd Dark Age happened from a Nuclear War, Zombie Apocalypse, or an Asteroid Impact event we'd probably recover in a shorter amount of time and enter a more modern Middle Age.

I don't see how that's a problem? There's no way society would go back to the way it was.

Lazerface
06-28-2015, 07:02 PM

I don't see how that's a problem? There's no way society would go back to the way it was. Well yeah I see what you mean but I meant more like recovery in the sense of society recovers but not in the way it once was. Computers are rediscovered, the internet, oil, Airplanes, Superconductors, Cars, but it will likely be different in the sense of it was made to accommodate for that time period. But I think societies always collapse eventually. A cycle that happens at least every 2000-5000 years. But it will always recover. Post-apocalypse is short term, other things are more mid to long term.