PDA

View Full Version : How to really enjoy game anymore?

Ergroilnin
06-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Well the title may sound a little weird so bear with me while I explain.

I used to be really indulged gamer that wanted to get a go at some game all the time. But in the last few years (well since I actually started to have some social life, finishing high school, starting college and work etc.) I just can't seem to really honestly get that gamer pleasure anymore.

I feel like I have to complete the game completely/get all the trophies or something else I do not feel like starting the game at all. I do not really know why do I feel that way as well. It's not like half of the games I play (mainly RPGs and JRPGs) can even be "completely" finished without getting absolutely worn out playing it.

The last time I really indulged in new game was last year about Christmas time when I bought Souths Park the stick of the truth. I couldn't go to bed before I finished the game's story and TBH I loved that feeling. It was really nostalgic.

So if anyone actually understood what I meant and what I feel from my lousy explanation, did you ever experience this? And if so, did you/how did you break it to actually enjoy new games without any stress?

Wolf Kanno
06-29-2015, 05:02 AM
I can relate. It has been awhile myself since a game really just captured my attention and forced me to consume it with all my heart and soul. Sadly, I can't really offer advice on how to get back to the old groove. Fact is, life happened, and now you're attentions are focused on multiple things. For me, I simply just play a little of everything and wait to find the one diamond in the rough that will grab my attention and take me there.

theundeadhero
06-29-2015, 05:36 AM
You've changed as a person and you can't go back to how things were before. It's not bad, like WK said, you just keep playing games when you can find the time and occasionally you'll find games that suck you in. The games that do seem that much more amazing for it.

Skyblade
06-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Pick up something new and completely different. I've been in this rut a few times, and grabbing a game from a completely different genre than I usually play will snap me out of it. I'll pick up a fighting game like BlazBlue. I'll pick up an action game like Hyrule Warriors. I'll pick up a shooter like Fire Fall. Just a bit of messing around, exploring a completely new experience, and it brings a lot of that sense of just playing to have fun back into things.

Fynn
06-29-2015, 07:39 AM
I've honestly just grown to accept that I experience games differently now. I used to be scared of it in the past, but now I'm glad the way I play games and feel about it has changed.

Mirage
06-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Stop caring about trophies and gamerscore or gamer level. It'll help a lot.
You can start with turning off notifications for trophies or achievements. It helps you forget that they exist.

Psychotic
06-29-2015, 01:47 PM
My gaming habits have changed and I now have a thing for shorter games. Things like I Am Bread, Papers Please, FTL. Just quick little inexpensive blasts of fun that are really different from anything else out there.

Karifean
06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
I've more or less completely moved away from learning new, expansive games. The last time I really had immense fun playing a game was FF XII IZJS, and I think that's partly because I'd already played FF XII before. If I had had to learn everything from scratch, I might've lost patience. I still haven't played Lightning Returns for pretty much this reason. So I mostly play games I already know.

It's all good though, since I've found something a subgenre of particular not gameplay-centered games to pour all my heart and soul into ;)

Bolivar
06-29-2015, 03:22 PM
I was just thinking about this last week, when I watched Kinda Funny Games' podcast about their top 5 games of all time. We have similar tastes and it was awesome to reminisce about these special titles but I was concerned that I don't enjoy games like that anymore. While I don't have any problem jumping into extended multiplayer sessions of Dota 2 or Call of Duty, it does sometime take some motivation for me to boot up single player games like Infamous or The Witcher 3, which ideally should be the more meaningful experiences. That said, a few releases have been able to grab me again and the underlying theme seems to be they were titles I wasn't expecting, like Shadows of Mordor or The Order.

That's why the Vita and its vibrant digital scene has largely outshined my time on console and PC in the last year. Something new comes out every week and a few times a year, a cluster of showcased titles arrive together that really deliver on that magic. These games hearken back to genres we used to love when we were growing up and discovering gaming, then build on top of that nostalgia with surprising twists, innovative mechanics, original art design and, for whatever reason, almost all of them have absolutely killer soundtracks of stuff I've never heard before. It's also exciting to be a part of a cutting edge platform that feels like what the all-digital future could be if done right. My PS+ membership often includes many of the best new releases within the subscription, while discounting the rest beyond what I would otherwise pay for them on Steam. And that's not even getting into the frequent promotions and flash sales on the extensive back library of PSP and PS1 legacy titles.

Tl;dr there's a lot of impressive things happening on PSN right now and I recommend it for anyone who's fallen into a similar rut.

Ayen
06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Stop caring about trophies and gamerscore or gamer level. It'll help a lot.

This.

I never had this problem. I put the game into the system, I turn the system on, I play the game, and I enjoy it. Unless the game just sucks.

Ergroilnin
06-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Well yeah tbh I can still enjoy gaming but the only things I feel like I really enjoy is replaying the games I already played a lot like diablo ii or various FFs.

But I feel like I do not have the motivation to indulge in new expansive games which really sucks because I do not usually enjoy the short ones :/

Ergroilnin
07-01-2015, 05:24 AM
So I kind of actually got hooked to Tales of Hearts R two days ago. By hooked I mean I enjoy it and played three hours so far. But goddamn does the weird running annoy me and mostly...

What the hell is wrong with the English translation? I have japanese dub on and can more or less understand most of it and the English dub is way too different. So different that the characters look like they have another personality in English and I do not understand why they renamed Shin to Kor :/