PDA

View Full Version : Are you a nerd

Colonel Angus
08-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Well?

Pumpkin
08-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Psshhhh not at all

Now excuse my while I marathon Suikoden while updating my video game character tournament and then go write a Final Fantasy article about a boy and his chocobo

Shorty
08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
:shobon:

Shauna
08-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Shorty is ready to smack any nerds down who dare vote no.

Shorty
08-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Shorty is ready to smack any nerds down who dare vote no.

belonging to this forum makes everyone here a nerd and I'll not hear otherwise

Colonel Angus
08-04-2015, 10:04 PM
It isn't possible to for there to be a ''no'' option.

If this was fansite was for a certain other franchise, it'd be called Nerdsylvania.

Ayen
08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Nah, I'm one of the cool kids.

-bitch smacked by Sarah-

FFNut
08-05-2015, 12:11 AM
When I lost my cool kid image I guess I migrated into one.

Lawr
08-05-2015, 12:33 AM
I have never nerded a day in my life and I resent these unfounded accusations.

Sephex
08-05-2015, 02:08 AM
What even is a nerd these days? For the past few years just about anything to do with nerd culture is being spewed everywhere at an alarming rate. All you have to do to sell anything is simply to say, "Hey...remember this thing from the 80s or 90s?" Granted I am happy to see some things that I am into get the recognition it deserves, but on the other hand it is getting a bit old to see everyone fall over themselves to proclaim how nerdy they are, especially when you see people claim nerd cred that would bully others in social situations for simply being into a comic book, video game, etc.

Again, the flip side of that is having people gain more acceptance, but much like the explosion of rock a few decades ago, the movement is becoming more artificial and corporate day by day. There seems to be a focus on building a franchise or universe instead of simply making a unique stand alone project. I feel that sooner or later, the cracks in the armor will start to show.

There is nothing wrong with being a huge fan of stuff or reflecting on stuff for decades past. But it just irritates me to see sites, YouTube channels, and everything under the sun post a few old toys, 3 frame gifs from a TV show or movie, and drop painfully obvious lingo. And people eat it up. Everyone acts like they just won a million dollars because they saw Spider-Man for the billionth time or they remembered that Ocarina of Time was released in 1998.

I remember when I first saw the change. It was one of the advantages of having a sister about a decade younger than me. In late junior high and high school, I noticed her and all her peers were flaunting their more nerdy interests, but it wasn't confined to a lunch table or the obscure Japanimation club. People on the highest totem pole were carrying on about their Invader Zim fanfiction. Again, I am happy that interests got the recognition they deserve, but what concerned me, even back then, is how...soulless the whole thing is.

It's like people are only into stuff out of obligation at this point. Another Marvel movie came out. Let's go see it. Better be there at the midnight release or you aren't the king/queen of the nerds. Hey, better take that Facebook quiz because people absolutely have to know what Disney character you are most like. The 12th iteration of a video game franchise came out. Better pick it up on day one and get all the preorder BS that came with it. Oh, what's that? Another Steam Sale? Better carry on about Lord Gaben and your wallet and then add more games you'll never touch to your Steam library. Oh hey, here's another episodic TV show to never shut up about. What? Another character died again and/or there was a twist at the end of an episode. Wow. This is the first time this has happened in television history. Better go online and brag about how I'm better than everyone else because I didn't go to a club and binge watched a series on Netflix. Hey, am I part of the cool nerd club yet? What's that in your pocket over there? Is that the ticket in? Should I take more pointless quizzes on Buzzfeed? Should I watch more gifs?! HELP, I NEED TO SEE 7 MORE DC TV SHOWS!!!

I'm not really sure what the main point of this post is other than things are just wearing thin for me. It might be the mood I am in at the moment, or I just might be burned out on how other people react to things without seemingly thinking for themselves. I mean, I'm very much guilty of the things I criticized myself. I'm sure I'll get into more "nerdy" things in the future, as well. So yeah, I guess I am just burned out.

Crap, gotta get to work. No time to proof read so if there is a mustard or two, that's why.

Karifean
08-05-2015, 02:15 AM
I currently spend 90% or more of my daytime in front of a computer. Mostly doing nothing except obsessing over the fictional stories and characters I love. Yep, I'd call myself a nerd.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2015, 05:55 AM
http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65407&stc=1

Crop
08-05-2015, 06:46 AM
I don't really think about it. I just like doing things...everything actually. Some of them would be classed as nerdy, some of them wouldn't.

I don't have time for lables, too much adventure to be had!

Zanmato
08-05-2015, 07:42 AM
To be honest, I'm more Geek than Nerd (based on my current interests), but sometimes I'm so Nerdy inside, hahaha! :P

Vermachtnis
08-05-2015, 09:02 AM
I was going to come up with something witty, but I looked down and saw that I was wearing a T-Shirt with a bunch of Marvel characters playing Poker.

Psychotic
08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm nerdy, sure, but it's not my entire identity.

Laddy
08-05-2015, 12:08 PM
yeah and no one understand me owo

Formalhaut
08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I guess I am but I don't like being called it. Like Crop said, maybe it is a 'label' thing, or that sometimes I do wonder whether nerds have shaken off that 'living in a parent's bedroom' image. I don't like being called a video gamer either, given that so many video gamers are just childish. The number of Xbox Live microphone jokes are boundless.

Like Psy, it definitely does not form part of my public identity. I only really discuss games and 'nerdy' stuff to people who I trust. I suppose in that sense, I can be myself more on EoFF.

Kalevala
08-05-2015, 08:07 PM
I don't like being called a video gamer either, given that so many video gamers are just childish. The number of Xbox Live microphone jokes are boundless.

This always bothered me a little, as well. It's interesting that just about anyone who plays video games is labeled as "gamer," yet there is no specific label for someone who watches films or reads books. At that, terms like "film snob" or "book reader" seem to be reserved for those who spend most of their time dedicated to the specific activity. Whereas you're labeled as a gamer even if you play casually.

Mirage
08-05-2015, 09:01 PM
In the true sense of the word, no, and neither are most of you others.

In the washed out sense of the word where anyone who owns a few anime dvd or have paid for a couple of video game counts, sure.

Bubba
08-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Nah, I'm cool as fuck.

MissH
08-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Nah, I'm cool as smurf.

Only because you're with me, otherwise you'd have no chance.

Pheesh
08-06-2015, 10:20 AM
In my defense, I hide it well... But yeah, I'm a pathetic dweeb at heart :(

Shiny
08-06-2015, 06:37 PM
It wasn't until about a month ago that someone actually acknowledged I was a nerd irl. It's not readily apparent.

cingur the kuporiffic moogle prince
08-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Of course, & proud of it!
http://wigunpics.science/9/g.png

black orb
08-08-2015, 04:52 AM
>>> Yeah, just like everyone here at this forum..:luca:

escobert
08-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not a full fledged nerd but yeah I am to an extent :p

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-09-2015, 12:10 AM
You are a nerd.

Leigh
08-09-2015, 11:06 AM
I'd say I like nerdish thing, in part, but I don't really consider myself part of that whole geek subculture. I don't cosplay, I don't go to video game themed social nights, conventions tend to go over my head from a 'I'm suppose to find this fun?' POV. I generally find most American and Canadian Fantasy and Sci-Fi television shows to be total pigswill.

I like video games, the odd comic, Marvel (well some...), Star Trek and Star Wars. But I have never felt the need to deconstruct them to the point that I'm having discussions on IMDB about what is the true social message portrayed when Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain in Star Trek V.

As for what the difference is between a geek and a nerd. Nerds tend to be those who just come across as wildly curious about things in life. Want to know the underlying reasons things are what they are. Geeks are just generally those who obsess over pointless niche (ex-niche?) aspects of pop culture...and tend to think they're all comic geniuses with expert timing. There are ones who are quite nice though...When they're not perplexing me by laughing at things that aren't funny. Like Flight of the Conchords, or basically nearly everything on Adult Swim. :p

escobert
08-09-2015, 08:26 PM
You are a nerd.

I'm a commie gun nerd for sure :p

Formalhaut
08-10-2015, 02:02 AM
You are a nerd.

The worst kind! :onoes:

escobert
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
You are a nerd.

The worst kind! :onoes:

But old commie guns are cool!

FFNut
08-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Just want to say that if hanging out and chatting with you guys makes me a nerd, then I am a nerd and proud of it.

Christmas
04-06-2023, 04:18 PM
Yes, but I am a really pretty one just a place or two lower than Jabba the Hutt. :bigsmile: