PDA

View Full Version : Is a cheeseless Pizza truly a Pizza?

FFNut
07-05-2015, 10:14 AM
So this is my question to you all, a guy I work with brought in pizza today, but had no cheese on it. It had everything else from Pepperoni, to mushrooms, to peppers the sauce, all of that. I said unless you put cheese on it, it's not a pizza. He argued otherwise so I go to the experts of EOFF to awnser this question!

MissH
07-05-2015, 01:01 PM
I think I say still a pizza. I was dairy intolerant for 5 years and all my pizzas were cheeseless. It was a miserable existance. Now I'm making up for lost time and have extra cheese on everything.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65223&stc=1

blackmage_nuke
07-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I knew a guy who didn't like his pizza with cheese OR sauce.

To me a pizza without cheese is still a pizza and while it is a pizza I would partake in, it is not a pizza that I feel has reached it's maximum tastiness potential

starlet
07-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Pizza with no cheese? Preposterous! Unthinkable!

Shorty
07-05-2015, 06:45 PM
NO IT IS NOT

WHO WOULD DO SUCH A THING

Ayen
07-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Let me see if I can wrap my mind around cheeseless pi--

Nope, just can't.

Slothy
07-05-2015, 10:44 PM
It's not even food.

Pumpkin
07-05-2015, 10:45 PM
My son hates everything on pizza except the dough and a teeny bit of sauce. It makes me feel like barfing because naked pizza is actually pretty ugly

Aulayna
07-05-2015, 10:54 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

fat_moogle
07-06-2015, 12:04 AM
It's a pizza, just not a very good one.

Colonel Angus
07-06-2015, 12:38 AM
My son hates everything on pizza except the dough and a teeny bit of sauce. It makes me feel like barfing because naked pizza is actually pretty ugly
You should just buy him crazy bread.

Pheesh
07-06-2015, 01:44 AM
NO IT IS NOT

Italians do, you would know that if you actually were one and not an imposter!!

A very traditional and delicious pizza is simply thinly sliced potato, rosemary and sea salt; no sauce needed, no cheese needed. It's still a pizza, it's still delicious, end of.

Bubba
07-06-2015, 06:58 PM
It's a pizza, just not a very good one.

Shorty
07-06-2015, 08:22 PM
NO IT IS NOT

Italians do, you would know that if you actually were one and not an imposter!!

A very traditional and delicious pizza is simply thinly sliced potato, rosemary and sea salt; no sauce needed, no cheese needed. It's still a pizza, it's still delicious, end of.

You are an imposter of the human race if you eat pizza without cheese and claim to enjoy it.

Agent Proto
07-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Of course a cheeseless pizza is pizza. Just like this could be considered (dessert) pizza.

http://cf.iambaker.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/brownie-heath-pizza.jpg

fat_moogle
07-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Of course a cheeseless pizza is pizza. Just like this could be considered (dessert) pizza.

I WANT / NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

Big D
07-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Cheeseless pizza is OG pizza. It's also great for vegetarians and vegans. There's still plenty of variety and tasty options available, you just get a little less protein and fat.

Vyk
07-06-2015, 10:16 PM
I would enjoy cheeseless pizza way more than I would a just-cheese pizza. And nobody argues about cheese pizza not being pizza. And cheeseless pizza is more so

I don't consider taco pizza or vegetable pizza to be pizza either

FFNut
07-06-2015, 10:40 PM

though that looks like pizza, I wouldn't call it that. That is a dessert made to replicate the look of pizza. However that does look really really good!

Shorty
07-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Nutty's right, that is a dessert pie, friendo. :colbert:

Sephex
07-06-2015, 11:28 PM
I come to EoFF to relax! Not have all these existential questions thrown at me!!

N--nooo...IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!

http://i.imgur.com/RNyBrgx.gif

Formalhaut
07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Oh gosh, over dinner at a restaurant me and Mr. Carny were debating this exact question. :p

Night Fury
07-07-2015, 06:35 AM
I have to agree that potato, rosemary, and sea salt pizza is bloody gorgeous!

I make cheeseless pizza quite a lot (well, I did before the oven broke!) Even when I'm making my own pizza with cheese I prefer to have the tiny mozzarella balls and have more prosciutto/spinach/topping. I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever at an 'American' style pizza with loads and loads of cheese.

Calliope
07-11-2015, 08:20 PM
NO IT IS NOT

I WOULD :colbert:

And Night Fury, I tried that sort of potato pizza on my trip home, and it was fantastic!

Lazerface
07-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Cheeseless pizza is like a car with no gas. It just don't work. So screw cheeseless pizza.

blackmage_nuke
07-13-2015, 03:11 AM
Cheeseless pizza is like a car with no gas. It just don't work. So screw cheeseless pizza.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla_model_s

Mirage
07-13-2015, 11:35 AM
yeah sorry. gas cars are so passé.

Vyk
07-14-2015, 04:20 AM
I'm still curious what you heathens think of plain cheese pizza, if you think the cheese is more important than the toppings. I'd still much rather the toppings, if given an ultimatum

Mirage
07-14-2015, 11:41 AM
let's take this further, is it still pizza without the crust?

is it still pizza without the sauce?

Is it still pizza without both sauce and cheese?

If I take a pizza crust and put ketchup on it and nothing else, is this pizza?

Pheesh
07-14-2015, 12:05 PM
It's still pizza without sauce and/or cheese. Basically if you oven cook some dough in a dish and put at least one topping on it it's a pizza.

If you put ketchup on a pizza you deserve to taken out the back and put down.

Formalhaut
07-14-2015, 05:12 PM
It's still pizza without sauce and/or cheese. Basically if you oven cook some dough in a dish and put at least one topping on it it's a pizza.

If you put ketchup on a pizza you deserve to taken out the back and put down.

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DO THAT????

Ewwwww gross. THERE'S ALREADY TOMATO ON THE PIZZA (if it has a tomato base, obviously).

Ayen
07-14-2015, 06:42 PM
That was mainly in response to Mirage's hypothetical. At least, I'm assuming it's only a hypothetical and people don't really do it to retain what little faith I have in the human race.

Mirage
07-15-2015, 04:24 AM
it was hypothetical.ketchup on a pizza is the dumbest trout ever.

In my hypothetical case it was however the only thing on the "pizza" at all (except the fact that it was obviously not really a pizza)

i disagree though. it is not pizza just because it is dough in a dish with *anything* on top.

Pheesh
07-15-2015, 05:13 AM
I actually have to make an amendment, because pizza doesn't have to be cooked in a dish, I've actually even cooked pizza without a dish. I was thinking about it more (what makes pizza a pizza) and I would say that there are a few different criteria.

1. Oven baked. No one is eating raw bread dough, so there is no such thing as an uncooked pizza, and you can not develop a crust without an oven.

2. Dough. Pizza dough differs from bread dough traditionally in its ingredients. Where this part gets tricky is with some pizza having a non traditional dough either for convenience or to be different (sourdough is a somewhat common pizza base). So I would add in that the shaping of the dough is key. After proofing, the dough of a pizza is shaped into that tradition pizza base shape, which will remove most of the fluffiness of the dough, this is what really separates pizza from bread. Also there's a bunch of differences in the fermentation process of pizza dough that you wouldn't do with traditional bread.

3. Toppings. I've never seen a pizza without a topping, a pizza without a topping is a flatbread basically. I've seen them with minimal toppings (oil, seasoning and herbs) but at that point you're really pushing the boundaries of where flatbread stops and pizza begins (traditionally they're made with a slightly different dough, but not always). Flatbread becomes pizza when you add a sauce and/or cheese. While some flatbreads still feature cheese melted on top which makes defining them tricky, I would say if it's got cheese on it it's more pizza that flatbread.

That's the best and most simple way I would be able to describe what defines a pizza. Also, before anyone mentions it, dessert pizzas do not count in the same way a gummi pizza wouldn't count.

Bubba
07-15-2015, 08:01 AM
That's a nice summation, Pheesh.

So can anyone tell me what pizza bread is? Is that a pizza?

Pheesh
07-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Is that just one of those regular buns that has sauce and cheese on it? It's not a pizza, it's just a piece of bread that has pizza toppings on it. It would fit into the same category as a pizza scroll I guess.

Bubba
07-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Is that just one of those regular buns that has sauce and cheese on it? It's not a pizza, it's just a piece of bread that has pizza toppings on it. It would fit into the same category as a pizza scroll I guess.

What the hell is a pizza scroll?! Man, I always thought pizza was reasonably uncomplicated.

Actually, hasn't Pizza Scrolls Online just been released for PS4 and Xbox One?

Night Fury
07-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Scrolls are very Aussie. They're rolled up breads with fillings inside. You can get them sweet or savoury!

http://www.globeholidays.net/Oceania/Australia/Tasmania/Media/Australia_Cheesymite_Scroll.jpg

Loony BoB
07-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Pheesh is the most correct person in this thread regarding what is and is not a pizza.

Bubba
07-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Pheesh is the most correct person in this thread regarding what is and is not a pizza.

I thought this too. Now you've agreed with him though BoB, I have completely changed my mind.

~*~Celes~*~
07-17-2015, 11:17 PM
I love cheese pizza

Sephiroth
07-19-2015, 05:43 PM
I have learned from Midgar that every round object is a pizza.