PDA

View Full Version : Local cuisine from your country/area that you HATE

Fynn
07-15-2015, 10:38 AM
So I know not a lot of people are familiar with Polish cuisine. And I can see why, since it's pretty unremarkable, what with most people simply eating pork chops everyday and herring on Friday because you can't eat meat, so what are you gonna eat but herring?

:roll2

There's a lot of Polish food that I'm just kind of... "meh" about. Like I really never understood people who liked pierogi filled with fruit.

But then there's shit like this and I personally want to murder whoever invented it.

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/5/3458/z3458875M.jpg

If you're wondering what that is, it's meat in jello.

How the f- :hot:

And I mean, it's really popular. Every holiday season people just gorge on it and I'm like

https://38.media.tumblr.com/8e1829a911775f5d1ef20cf143220c2c/tumblr_inline_nn86cp98pN1qhkffz_500.gif

So, are there any disgusting things in your local cuisine that you'd like to share with us?

Zanmato
07-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Two words fer ya: MAYONNAISE SALAD!

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65308&stc=1

Gosh! I just can't stand it! It's simply disguisting!
My family make it and eat it once a month and I'm tired of this trout...

Fynn
07-15-2015, 10:56 AM
I kinda like mayonnaise salad, actually! But maybe that's because I eat it only occasionally, though :p

Goes nicely with tuna!

fat_moogle
07-15-2015, 10:59 AM
That meat in jelly looks like it's on the platter of a very rich cat.

Zanmato
07-15-2015, 11:11 AM
I kinda like mayonnaise salad, actually! But maybe that's because I eat it only occasionally, though :p

Goes nicely with tuna!

Yoghurt salad is way better than this trout! XD
But OK, it's your taste - enjoy! :P

Fynn
07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
I will concede that our country's obsession with mayo and meat is terrible, though :p

Formalhaut
07-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Mr. Sam (Mr. Carny) absolutely loves mayonnaise and meat, so who knows, maybe he'll like meat in jello and mayo salad.

I'll go tell him about the meat in jello now...

... his response: "looks like cat food?!" *nervous laughter*.

That basically sums that up. But what about the mayo salad? "it doesn't look that appetizing..."

Unfortunately, Sam is unconvinced by the Polish cuisine. Do you guys have any good foods?

Fynn
07-15-2015, 12:03 PM
I'll make another thread on good regional foods later :p

Most of what constitutes as Polish cuisine is pretty terrible, though. It's all fat and sauerkraut and sausages.

Loony BoB
07-15-2015, 02:12 PM
L&P is something from NZ I dislike. Promite, too, if that counts as local (I'm pretty sure it's not).

For Scotland, the list gets bigger. Haggis, black pudding, white pudding, urgh.

Fynn
07-15-2015, 02:16 PM
What is L&P?

Oh, and we actually do black pudding in Poland too! I find it pretty tolerable. it's certainly better than jellied chicken.

Loony BoB
07-15-2015, 02:21 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_%26_Paeroa

Fynn
07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_%26_Paeroa

Doesn't sound bad, but I'll trust you on that :p Fat chance I'll be visiting New Zealand anytime soon anyway.

Loony BoB
07-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Oh, loads of people (when I was in NZ) would look at me funny when I let them know I wasn't a fan. It's just one of those things. On paper, I should really like it, because I like pretty much all lemonade, but it just didn't find any favour with myself.

noxious.sunshine
07-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Pickled Pig's Feet is a thing in the South, among pretty much all demographics.

And chitlins. Omg I can't. Fun fact tho: they're actually called chitterlings. :D

I also don't like canned meats like spam and vienna sausages.

Pheesh
07-15-2015, 04:50 PM
I dislike most Australian desserts, pavlova, lamingtons, anzac biscuits.

Tbf though, I don't really like any desserts so it's not like it's just the Australian ones.

DK
07-15-2015, 05:00 PM
black pudding is god tier, Towns you are a disgrace :colbert:

is Pavlova actually an Aussie invention or did you just appropriate it like England appropriated fish and chips? I know it's mad famous over there but I was always under the impression it was conceived somewhere else

Pheesh
07-15-2015, 05:23 PM
black pudding is god tier, Towns you are a disgrace :colbert:

is Pavlova actually an Aussie invention or did you just appropriate it like England appropriated fish and chips? I know it's mad famous over there but I was always under the impression it was conceived somewhere else

Wikipedia says New Zealand, which is the same thing. We take their shit all the time and no one cares. Except for people from New Zealand... who yeah, no one cares about. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Fynn
07-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I've never had Pavlova.

Which is weird, because I love meringue and the serve Pavlova like everywhere here.

Pumpkin
07-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Effin ketchup chips if those count

sharkythesharkdogg
07-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Fucking Cheez Whiz.

.............why?!?

Fynn, do you have a version of soljanka in Poland? I had some in the Czech Republic and it was delicious. I was told it was reasonably common in a lot of former USSR territories, and then made it's way over.

I also really like Polish beet and bacon pierogis a friend used to make once in a while. She was from Poland, and she made them from scratch, so I figure it's pretty authentic.

Fynn
07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
smurfing Cheez Whiz.

.............why?!?

Fynn, do you have a version of soljanka in Poland? I had some in the Czech Republic and it was delicious. I was told it was reasonably common in a lot of former USSR territories, and then made it's way over.

I also really like Polish beet and bacon pierogis a friend used to make once in a while. She was from Poland, and she made them from scratch, so I figure it's pretty authentic.

I have NEVER heard of beet and bacon pierogis :onoes: Definitely not a traditional thing. But sounds great! I really like pierogi overall, I just can't stand the sweet varieties.

And no, never heard of soljanka. Wikipedia says it's mostly Russian and Ukranian, but I wouldn't bve surprised if this was a regional dish in some regions. The region I originally come from, for example, has many Lithuanian influences, so our specialty is, for example, what we call kartacze (and what the Lithuanians call zeppelins)

http://perlypodlasia.pl/upload/1c61517e15324c8f1977da398984df02.jpg

sharkythesharkdogg
07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Well, they were called beet and bacon, but that's a little misleading. I should have been more detailed.

They were really mushroom pierogis. The beets were juiced and used as a main form of the broth. The mushrooms were sauteed in bacon grease, and then more bacon grease was used in the beet broth.

Obviously quite healthy. ^^;

Fynn
07-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Well, they were called beet and bacon, but that's a little misleading. I should have been more detailed.

They were really mushroom pierogis. The beets were juiced and used as a main form of the broth. The mushrooms were sauteed in bacon grease, and then more bacon grease was used in the beet broth.

Obviously quite healthy. ^^;

Oh yes. Broth and grease. That sums up Polish cuisine quite nicely.

escobert
07-15-2015, 10:19 PM
besides onions? lol

I dunno there isn't really anything specifically made here that I don't like. I mean, I live in North East America so there's only so much region specific food here.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Chicken livers are a thing in the south.

That's just not gonna happen. Not going to eat them. Sorry south.

Fynn
07-16-2015, 12:56 PM
My mom loves all the internal organs. Liver, hearts and stomachs are her favorite. Disgusting shit :stare:

Psychotic
07-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Chicken Tikka Masala is Britain's official national dish. Fuck that noise.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Indian food is pretty darn tasty, though.

Saag Paneer. :jess:

FFNut
07-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Up here Caribou meat is gross. It's traditional to hunt them a certain way but the only WA the meat isn't as tough as a ball glove is to dry it. Make it into jerky it's ok, but a caribou steak is not pleasant. Moose and Elk meat are great though. Same with buffalo!

sharkythesharkdogg
07-17-2015, 12:05 AM
I wonder why they don't try slow stewing it or pressure cooking it or something. You have to slow cook tough meat. It can really help transform it.

~*~Celes~*~
07-17-2015, 11:08 PM
Fruitcake. My husband loves it, I hate it

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 11:59 PM
Never, ever, EVER, under ANY circumstances, accept an offer of tripe.

I ate it once, and it was the WORST culinary experience of my life.

Mirage
07-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Lutefisk. The most vile fish dish you'll ever find. Except maybe surströmming, but that's swedish.

fire_of_avalon
07-23-2015, 04:56 AM
Pickled Pig's Feet is a thing in the South, among pretty much all demographics.

And chitlins. Omg I can't. Fun fact tho: they're actually called chitterlings. :D

I also don't like canned meats like spam and vienna sausages.
If you don't like Vienna Sausages idk that we can be friends. I made the yankee doctor at work eat a Vienna Sausage once and even she conceded to me that she understood why they were much loved.

Also potted meat hmmmm.

Chicken livers are a thing in the south.

That's just not gonna happen. Not going to eat them. Sorry south.

But have you seriously ever had them? Seriously? Or are you .... chicken? I have to know because if you've never even tried them, then someone needs to make some for you. So delicious.

I don't like potato salad. That's a thing around here. I guess two big things around here that the country people still love are ramps which are like wild onions meets garlic in the worst, stinkiest, eye wateringiest combo ever that will set your sinuses on fire if you even drive by someone selling them on the side of the road.

And Souse. Never had it, never willing to have it. It's made from head parts.

Mirage
07-23-2015, 06:18 AM
Liver is generally good. I haven't had chicken livers though, but from pork or cattle, it's pretty good.