PDA

View Full Version : ironing shirts

krissy
07-17-2015, 05:11 AM
hi yeah
ok so i iron the shirt and everything but then after i let it sit for a while there are still wrinkles
what kind of effects should i be experiencing
am i just not at a high enough heat? should i be running it a couple of times over the shirt?
it's an ez steam iron so it releases steam pretty much all the time

i guess my biggest issue is i can still see the folds that came in the new shirt (i havent actually worn it and it came wrapped around cardboard but i wanted to get those folds out)

FFNut
07-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Have you tried tossing it in the dryer for 15 minutes with a wet cloth? It's how I usually get the wrinkles out. May make the deep crinkles not as bad for the iron.

Bubba
07-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I pretty much never iron anything except shirts. The rest of my stuff I'll stick it in the dryer then hang it up when it comes out... no creases :p

With shirts though they seem to work fine. I always put them on hangars afterwards instead of folding them.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I used to have to iron the ol' military uniforms, so I've had loooots of practice.

I use a small amount of starch in a water mixture in a spray bottle.

If you're worried about getting starch crusties on the clothes it's probably too much starch in the mixture. Still, if it takes that much to hold the wrinkles, you can spray the liquid mixture on the inside of the shirt, then iron the outside.

You still get penetration of the mixture, and it still holds thing flat and wrinkle free. Any starch residue is on the inside and out of sight.

fire_of_avalon
07-17-2015, 03:00 PM
What's your shirt made of?

Flying Mullet
07-17-2015, 03:03 PM
After running the clothes in the dryer on a steam cycle or with a wet washcloth before ironing and then letting them hang tends to get most of the wrinkles out. My biggest battle is when the fabric behind the front (behind the buttons) folds backwards or the collar tries to curl. I've started using my wife's straightening iron to help smooth those out.

Masamunemaster
07-18-2015, 12:57 AM
My fiance got some of the downy wrinkle remover spray, and it works great. Spray it and just fan it for a minute and boom!

Iceglow
07-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Ironing shirts can be a pain. I find that using the iron on the hottest heat with a small amount of starch spray (either dissolved in to a water spritzer or with an aerosol starch spray). Also the quicker you move the iron over the shirt, the easier it is to get the creases out. I learnt a few tips from a guy who worked in a proper suit makers shop in Chelsea and Kensington area and it was speed and starch is key.

Straightening irons can work as a way of sorting collars but a stronger starch will work too.

Additionally if you are concerned about starch crusts, put some tissue paper (the sort used in gift wrapping) over the shirt then starch spray that and iron it. You'll get the starched effect on your shirt but you'll be able to pull any starch crusts off without marking the shirt :)

fire_of_avalon
07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Guys you should be using highest heat only for linen and ticker cottons. Those fibers can take the heat. Synthetics need lower Temps (unless they're a polyester blend) and if it's silk or silky it needs no steam. Steam can really damage some fabrics.

My guess for krissy is too much steam.

Bubba
07-20-2015, 08:44 AM
My guess for krissy is too much steam.

This is actually the case for the majority of gamers on this forum.