PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Tomb Raider

Ayen
07-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Anyone hyped for this? I'm not FFVII Remake hype for it, but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm glad it's coming out to the Xbox 360 too so I'll be able to play it. I won't be able to afford a Xbox One, or a PS4 whenever it comes out on that, for some time now, so that's going to be the only way I get to play it. Hopefully, it won't be too much of a downgrade on there.

Z1oxrXF-7kg

I love Tomb Raider, Lara Croft, and I enjoyed the reboot a lot. I hope these games continue to do well. Smurfing bear! I remember that in the original game. Hated them.

:sigh: I was really hoping the twin pistols would be the default weapon this time around. Oh well, maybe they'll appear later in the game and not just as a special near the end.

Discuss.

fat_moogle
07-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm looking forward to this coming out on PS4. Hopefully it's not timed for too long! I really enjoyed the reboot so it will be great to continue the adventure.

DarkMatta
07-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Even though I have to wait a bit longer because of SE's and Crystal Dynamics' rediculous decision to be a timed exclusive for the Xbone, I cannot wait for this game! Boycotting is just stupid.

The development of Lara's character will be interesting to see, but the gameplay on the first title was just brilliant! Non-stop and extremely immersive. I've always said that if "The Last of Us" had the game play that Tomb Raider had, it would of topped it, in my opinion.

One thing I hope is for the story to be longer. Tomb Raider didn't need to have multiplayer imo.

Ayen
07-18-2015, 09:39 AM
So, in the RotTR reveal trailer, Lara is seen in the office of some sort of psychologist, what looks like some sort of therapy session for PTSD after the events of Yamatai. I was really captivated by the trailer and the eerie, dark tone it took on when the camera kept showing Lara's unease in that office. Her foot tapping the floor, gripping the arm chair tightly, stuff like that. It made me feel like, "Whoa. Holy trout, Lara is really smurfed up." I've never played a game where a character has showed such realistic signs of PTSD, let alone that kind of discomfort after going through a really rough journey like she did.

And so, getting to my point...I'm worried Crystal Dynamics will advertise this as the new "tone" or "theme" of the game, but it won't actually play a large part in the game at all, sort of like the reboot. Crystal D kind of painted the reboot as a "survival" tale of Lara overcoming her fears and the odds, pushing through Yamatai's horrors as a college graduate...and it was believable for about the first thirty minutes. Then...not so much. So I'm really worried that Crystal Dynamics won't stick to this PTSD thing for very long. I think it could make for a really fascinating story and different director for Lara's character. Maybe showing that hey, Lara is human and she is scarred from her time on Yamatai.

I hope they explore the PTSD thing more, too. I loved that Reveal Trailer.

I read on wikipedia that Lara starts investigating other myths that are true to prove she isn't insane after the incident in Yamati is covered up. I like it. Gives her another reason to do what she does instead of just "I raid tombs, ya?"

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 03:29 PM
I haven't played the reboot game yet. I probably will at some point, and I'll buy this one as well, I expect.

Who's voicing Lara these days, out of interest?

Ayen
07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
I haven't played the reboot game yet. I probably will at some point, and I'll buy this one as well, I expect.

Who's voicing Lara these days, out of interest?

Camilla Luddington.

fat_moogle
07-23-2015, 06:20 PM
So, Square Enix have spoken. Rise of the Tomb Raider will be console exclusive to Xbox 360 / Xbox One for 1 year. It'll be coming to Steam / Windows 10 in early 2016, but there won't be a PS4 release until late 2016.

Formalhaut
07-23-2015, 06:38 PM
will be console exclusive to Xbox 360 / Xbox One for 1 year.

ONE WHOLE YEAR?! :hot:

Mr. Carnelian
07-23-2015, 06:40 PM

You've never played any Tomb Raider games!

It's not as if you were eagerly anticipating this one. :p

fat_moogle
07-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Unfortunately so :(

I wasn't expecting to have to wait that long, but oh well. It's not like that there won't be anything else to play whilst I wait for it.

McLovin'
07-24-2015, 02:13 AM
They tease with this Xbox exclusivity :( Really enjoyed the previous one so will definitely get this one...in one year. :(

Shauna
07-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Maybe I'll actually have a PS4 in that time. :shrug:

Ayen
07-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Sucks to be you guys. I'm putting it on my Christmas list this year.

Shauna
07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I do enjoy how the company that complained that Tomb Raider sold poorly overall is locking it to a single console for a whole year. Way to go guys, that will sure help those "poor sales".

Ayen
07-24-2015, 10:41 PM
I don't think it'd be a complete flop. Microsoft have slowly been gaining steam by removing Kinect as a mandatory add-on bringing the price down to 400, adding backwards compatibility which the PS4 doesn't have, a strong showing at this year's E3 and more exclusives. Rare Replay sounds like it will be good.

I laugh more at what Square considers poor sales.

Shauna
07-24-2015, 11:15 PM
It's not going to be a flop, nor did I imply it was going to. Tomb Raider wasn't a flop by any stretch of the imagination. Square Enix said it was though, and I'm just saying that these aren't the actions of a company who are concerned about how well Tomb Raider sold. x}

Ayen
07-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I was replying to SapientiaXIII and I never implied that's what either of you meant.

DMKA
07-25-2015, 04:12 AM
It's supposed to hit PC in early 2016 and I can't wait. I loved the 2013 game. The fact that I don't get to play it in November like XB1/360 owners will is irritating, but not as irritating as having to wait a whole year for the PS4 version is.

fat_moogle
07-25-2015, 01:51 PM
I may or may not wait. I've never owned an Xbox before, PlayStation all the way! But there are a few Xbox games coming out soon that I'm interested in. Depending on what my finances are like in November I might take the plunge.

DarkMatta
07-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Have to wait a whole year to play this on PS4!?

WOW! Well done SE. What a way to alienate the majority of franchise's fan base. Sales will definitely show them that this decision was an absolutely horrendous one.

fat_moogle
07-26-2015, 11:50 PM
I wonder out of curiosity how much MS actually paid for this timed exclusivity. It had to be a generous payment to make up for the loss of sales on Sony platforms. There's a 360 version as well, I wonder how that version will sell compared to it's next gen counterpart?

Randy
07-27-2015, 04:43 AM
Have they actually said it's a wait of a whole year? Surely 6 months is enough. The novelty's worn off for most games by then anyway. Especially single player games.

I do enjoy how the company that complained that Tomb Raider sold poorly overall is locking it to a single console for a whole year. Way to go guys, that will sure help those "poor sales".

I imagine they are getting paid to do that though, it's just to make friends with Xbox owners.

fat_moogle
07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
^ Yes, they have. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-pc-get-xbox-timed-exclusive-rise-of-the-tomb-r/1100-6429137/

Also the novelty may have worn off then for people who have played the game, but for some it will be a new experience.

Bubba
07-27-2015, 11:08 AM
I got a bit bored with the Tomb Raider reboot. The first hour or so was excellent but it got kind of stale halfway through. I didn't actually finish it but I'll get round to it at some point. Waiting a year for it to come out doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have far too many games to start and finish in the meantime!

Old Manus
07-28-2015, 10:36 AM
>press Y to avoid bears

DMKA
07-31-2015, 03:28 AM
>press Y to avoid bears
Or not. The wide variety of death animations was one of the highlights.

fat_moogle
07-31-2015, 01:31 PM
>press Y to avoid bears
Or not. The wide variety of death animations was one of the highlights.
That they were! They were all so dramatic and in some cases generally made me cringe.

Del Murder
08-05-2015, 07:41 PM
If the day comes where I'm in the mood for an action adventure game and there's not a Batman, Uncharted, or Assassin's Creed title available for me to play, I may pick up the first Tomb Raider and then try this one. However, it seems like there are always more interesting games out there for me. Maybe I'll try this before I catch up on AC, since Unity looked mediocre and Syndicate not much better. I have heard good things about this series.

DMKA
11-25-2015, 12:30 AM
I've been playing for several hours now. Really enjoying it. Gameplay is fun, the world is more open with more to do than the first game, and the story is pretty good with villains you really grow to despise. It's probably my favorite game of the year so far.

fat_moogle
11-25-2015, 08:11 AM
I've been playing for several hours now. Really enjoying it. Gameplay is fun, the world is more open with more to do than the first game, and the story is pretty good with villains you really grow to despise. It's probably my favorite game of the year so far.
Glad to hear it! I'll be picking up an Xbox One within the next week or two so I look forward to giving it a go :D

Loony BoB
11-25-2015, 12:34 PM
I just can't justify buying an Xbone for Tomb Raider alone. I'll probably either get it for PC or wait for the PS4 release.

DMKA
11-26-2015, 12:33 AM
I just can't justify buying an Xbone for Tomb Raider alone. I'll probably either get it for PC or wait for the PS4 release.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. The game is being ported to PC early next year, and I had completely planned on getting it then. But for the fact that it was a gift, I wouldn't have an Xbox One.