PDA

View Full Version : Okay, you can finish now, game

Pumpkin
07-17-2015, 04:05 PM
So the reverse of this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/163699-NO-WHY-MUST-YOU-BE-OVER-!), what are some games you liked, but they dragged on a bit by the end so you were kinda glad they were over. Like, "yeah it's a good game but can it finish already?"

The Persona games were kinda like that for me. I liked them both, I liked 4 a good bit, but by the end I'm about ready to move on. The Agarest War games are like that too

Ayen
07-17-2015, 04:23 PM
The closest I can recall coming to this is Final Fantasy XII. Not that I didn't like the big climax at the end, just that the last couple of dungeons before it were a chore and nowhere near as fun as the rest. I was ready for the climax after that.

Karifean
07-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Muv-Luv Extra. I really shouldn't have gone for all the endings.

Wolf Kanno
07-17-2015, 06:34 PM
All of the Dragon Quest games come to mind. Super Mario Galaxy was the same. Pretty much every FF game from the PS1 era to today also comes to mind, it's just hard to write an engaging story that can hold your interest for 50+ hours and I feel they all show that.

Burgermiester85
07-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Bravely Default is the definition here. Playing the game is awesome in almost every other way but once it starts looping its a real slog until the credits.

Pike
07-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Jet Force Gemini is kinda the poster child for this as far as I'm concerned. "Do all the levels! Now go back and do them AGAIN before you can beat the game!" :|

My replay of Warcraft III/TFT is kind of taking a while but I still enjoy it. It's just taking... a long while.

Vermachtnis
07-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Tales of Graces f, I loved the game, but it just felt like it dragged on for the last couple of dungeons. Everytime we'd get to the "final" boss, someone would do something stupid and the game goes on. It happened like three times in quick succession at the end.

Both of the Digital Devil Saga games drag on at the end too. The story just grinds to halt while you climb the big ass final dungeons.

Forsaken Lover
07-18-2015, 04:07 AM
Resident Evil 4 was amazingly good for a 20 hour action game but it still dragged on a bit.

Fynn
07-18-2015, 05:53 AM
Tales of Graces f, I loved the game, but it just felt like it dragged on for the last couple of dungeons. Everytime we'd get to the "final" boss, someone would do something stupid and the game goes on. It happened like three times in quick succession at the end.

Both of the Digital Devil Saga games drag on at the end too. The story just grinds to halt while you climb the big ass final dungeons.

Interesting, I had the exact opposite impression. I was surprised how short the dungeons seemed when I saw how big they actually are :p

Iceglow
07-18-2015, 06:15 PM
The final boss fight versus Wesker in RE5 comes to mind. Me and Paul were playing it and sometimes we thought "What, why?"

Pete for President
07-18-2015, 09:39 PM
I just finished Mark of the Ninja and while it's a really good game it just kept introducing new game mechanics and dragging on. On multiple occasions I thought the end would and should be near, but it wasn't. Luckily the ending was strong when it did show up.

Ni No Kuni had a similar situation. I feel like halfway to 2/3rds of the game is filler and during this time I felt like it should get on with rounding up things. Again the ending was strong, but should have come around sooner imo.

Fynn
07-19-2015, 10:17 AM
To be honest, I rarely find myself wanting the game to end.

I think the sole exception is the original Ace Attorney game. "Rise from the Ashes" was way too long and convoluted for its own good.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 10:25 AM
To be honest, I rarely find myself wanting the game to end.

I think the sole exception is the original Ace Attorney game. "Rise from the Ashes" was way too long and convoluted for its own good.

OMG yes. I love that episode, but goddamn I never want to play it again because of its length.

Fynn
07-19-2015, 10:36 AM
In general I have a weird relationship with AA.

I kinda like it. It's fun and the trials are pretty cool.

But everything that isn't a trial is boring as hell to me, I'm not a big fan of the characters, and God damnit, this country is run by idiots and I'm sick and tired of everyone being a successful lawyer at age 15 or 7 :stare: Not to mention some cases require extreme moon logic to solve, while others I could have figured out much earlier if the game didn't use so much padding.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the cases kinda drag for me.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 10:40 AM
The court scenes are the best part, yes.

However those characters you can't stand better not be Maya because she is a dear :colbert:

Fynn
07-19-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm not saying I can't stand them. It's just that a lot of them don't do anything for me. I'm also not a fan of the episodic nature of the games.

Maya is fine. Ema can go fuck herself, though

blackmage_nuke
07-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I feel Bioshock started to loose steam halfway between the big reveal and the end.

Mr. Carnelian
07-19-2015, 12:01 PM
The closest I can recall coming to this is Final Fantasy XII. Not that I didn't like the big climax at the end, just that the last couple of dungeons before it were a chore and nowhere near as fun as the rest. I was ready for the climax after that.

This is exactly how I feel. XII just went on a BIT too long.

Fynn
07-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Idk, I loved the Pharos.

Galuf
07-19-2015, 02:47 PM
I thought the last dungeon in blue dragon was really repetitive and boring. Just a few puzzles and even more reskinned enemies

Ayen
07-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Idk, I loved the Pharos.

I wasn't thinking of Pharos per se. I think there's a dungeon or two after that before the final battle. Unless I'm remembering wrong. It's been two years since I played.

Vermachtnis
07-19-2015, 07:09 PM
I have the same complaint about Pharos that I have with the final dungeons of Digital Devil Saga. Nothing really happens between entering the dungeon and the boss fight.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 05:44 AM
I have the same complaint about Pharos that I have with the final dungeons of Digital Devil Saga. Nothing really happens between entering the dungeon and the boss fight.

Again, I loved all of those dungeons XD

Maybe it's just that I experienced them at a point when I learned to enjoy a game for other things than simply its story? None of them are as grueling and monotonous as Tartarus. There may be few story bits along the way, but there's puzzles and other challenges that really make the climb feel epic.

Vermachtnis
07-20-2015, 06:55 AM

Again, I loved all of those dungeons XD

Maybe it's just that I experienced them at a point when I learned to enjoy a game for other things than simply its story? None of them are as grueling and monotonous as Tartarus. There may be few story bits along the way, but there's puzzles and other challenges that really make the climb feel epic.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the dungeons. I just thought they lasted a tad too long with not much happening. And it bugs me more in Digital Devil Saga 2's final dungeon more than the others.

The inside of the sun is an awesome idea for a final dungeon and fighting old bosses from the previous game is pretty cool. But they don't acknowledge it or anything. They're just there for exp. And right before the final boss, you fight Meganada and again, it's just there for exp. You could replace it with a Moh Shuvuu and nothing would change.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Actually the second and third Arc the Lad games had this issue as well. Didn't help how utterly repetitive the side missions were as well but I'm surprised I finished the second game and when the third game brought up a new story arc involving traveling across the world (again) to obtain all the McGuffins needed to advance the plot, I called it quits.

Psychotic
07-20-2015, 09:11 AM
I kept thinking I was near the end of The Last of Us and even though it was great I really wanted it to end because I wanted to see how it would end. Then of course my PS3 breaks while I am on the last fucking level!

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:09 AM
One dungeon in FFXII is literally just running up and down a bunch of steps/ramps/whatever and teleporting to different parts of the dungeon. That is as boring as boring can get.

P.S. Psych, I think your PS3 hates you.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 11:16 AM
You mean Giruvegan?

I liked it. It was pretty. It had scary werewolves.

Oh yeah, but then there was the Great Crystal which had NO MAP. :onoes:

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:24 AM
You mean Giruvegan?

I liked it. It was pretty. It had scary werewolves.

Oh yeah, but then there was the Great Crystal which had NO MAP. :onoes:

Actually, no. I was thinking of the Great Crystal. I could have swore there were some form of teleporting there, but I may have gotten it confused with the Gate Stones.

Del Murder
07-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Bravely Default is the definition here. Playing the game is awesome in almost every other way but once it starts looping its a real slog until the credits.
Yeah BD was the poster child for games that dragged out too long.

I can't think of many others where the plot really dragged out, but some modern RPGs really go overboard with the amount of fetch quests or other pointless quests. Xenoblade Chronicles and Dragon Age Origins come to mind. Of course, the quests are optional so I can only blame myself for trying to undertake everything.