PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age Series

Pages : [1] 2

Ayen
07-18-2015, 08:37 AM
DA is awesome.

My brother got me Dragon Age 2 for PC for Christmas one year and I loved it. I had a lot of fun playing it and trout. I still need to get back to it some day. I usually play as a warrior, though from what I hear they improved a lot upon the magic system, though it's awkward playing as a Blood Mage because the party has this "Anti-Blood Mage" stance and completely ignore the fact your character is one of them, and just saved that person using Blood Magic. Kind of hilarious, actually.

Dragon Age Origins is currently collecting dust in my Steam Library.

Then there's the new Dragon Age that came out recently. How's that so far?

Discuss.

Forsaken Lover
07-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Merrill is my DA Waifu. On my second run, I made sure to get 100% Friendship with her because only an asshole would Rival her. Besides, she's right. There's nothing wrong with what she was doing. After we killed her idiotic, racist clan, I made sure she accepted that they wee all a bunch of morons who rushed to their death and that they deserved their fate. Besides, she has Hawke, she'll always have Hawke. On that run I was a Pro-Templar Mage Hater but Merrill was my weak spot because she is just sweeter than sweet.

Anders is a much better character than people give him credit for. He was right about pretty much everything, after all.

Zevran is my DA Bro and/or Friend with Benefits. He's in Origins. Kind of a secret party member. There is not a single more charismatic figure in the entire DA universe. I could chat him up for days.

Sten is the most interesting character in the series. It's hard to get close to him but I assure you, it's worth it. Once you build up your relationship with him enough, he has the most fascinating conversations.

Dragon Age II is just as good as Origins, it's just that they are in good in different ways. The DA2 hate is really quite sickening. If you don't know, there was an entire campaign by assholes on the internet against one of the writes for DA2 back when it came out.

DA2's soundtrack needs more appreciation.
GBCcbdGvFa0

My last run of DA2 I played as a Warrior, a Two-Handed Reaver to be specific. (with the "Silly" persona and an appearance based on Jack from Mass Effect 2 as I had just beaten the ME Trilogy prior to this new run) I also played the game on Normal. Jesus Christ, the Arishok.... People were not exaggerating when they said that fight was a nightmare. This was also the first run where I didn't turn Elizabeth over to him. In my original run I handed her ass over because it was all her fault. Plus the Arishok was really cool and I agreed with him most of the time. But this time, Hawke wouldn't abandon her girlfriend and so she fought the Arishok for Elizabeth's freedom. She died a million times for Elizabeth's freedom.

The hardest part about the fight is the fact he can HEAL. What the hell, game????? I chip away at his health for an eternity and he gains it all back in one shot. I swear during one attempt he healed 2, maybe even 3 times. It's no coincidence in my one successful run he only healed once. Thank god for random boss AI.

Shauna
07-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Just started recently. Might I say that the combat in DA:O is slow as butts and it just about puts me to sleep.

When I actually get into the game, I'll let you know how I feel.

Ayen
07-18-2015, 10:37 AM
I knew there was a lot of hate towards DA2, but unless we were talking about the maps I never understood it. The story is solid and I like any game that has conflict beyond the usual black and white things we see in other games.

Forsaken Lover
07-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Just started recently. Might I say that the combat in DA:O is slow as butts and it just about puts me to sleep.

When I actually get into the game, I'll let you know how I feel.

Stick with it. The combat is indeed very slow and one of its few negative features but the characters and music make up for it.

I knew there was a lot of hate towards DA2, but unless we were talking about the maps I never understood it. The story is solid and I like any game that has conflict beyond the usual black and white things we see in other games.

Don't ask me, there are also people who hate ME2 and think ME1 is better. Some people are just wrong I'm afraid.

For some reason when EA started to work on the games or whatever a lot of the fanbase lost their minds and began to whine about how everything had been "changed."

Spuuky
07-18-2015, 05:50 PM
I preferred the slow, tactical combat of the first game. I like all three games, but the first one is still pretty clearly the best, in my estimation.

Maybe it was because I was a Rogue but I found the Arishok fight really easy. He basically couldn't hit me. And Anders is a good character, and a terrorist.

Del Murder
07-19-2015, 05:51 AM
I loved DAO. I was a Warrior/tank and that worked well since it allowed me to charge into the fray and manage the flow of the battle while my mages blew everything away. Mages were incredible in that game and far superior to any of the DD classes, so I just always brought Morrigan and Wynne along to kill everything, with Leliana shooting a few arrows every now and then. My character had a torrid affair with Morrigan before settling down with Leliana.

DA2 was not as good as Origins but still fun. They changed a lot in the game and the battles were much more of a random frenzy than the fairly calculated setup of DAO, and much easier too. I was a Rogue in that game and I pretty much mashed the attack button to win and rarely ever took too much damage. I didn't even use a healer in the second half of the game and only died once to a high dragon (and won once I swapped in Anders just for this fight). Also the dialogue is more like the Mass Effect series with your answers based on tone. I usually picked the humorous option when it was available. I tried to flirt up all the female characters but got locked into a pairing with Isabela before I could romance Merrill. Aveline, Merrill, and Fenris were my standard party.

I liked Anders better in Dragon Age Awakening than in DA2. He was funnier. The DA2 Anders was too much of a downer, though his plot twist at the end certainly gave me a shock.

I have Dragon Age Inquisition but I just beat DA2 so I'm waiting a bit before I jump back into this world. I hear great things about it though, and it won many people's game of the year last year.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 09:03 AM
That's what I like about DA2 and the ME series, the way the dialog options are. Witty Hawke is best Hawke.

Not sure if I'll be able to adapt to the lack of a VA for my custom character in the first game. The others have kind of spoiled me in that regards.

Shauna
07-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Just met Morrigan, really. Already got all the moves on her to the point that making out has occurred. Things move fast in this game.

FFNut
07-19-2015, 06:46 PM
I love everything about Dragon Age except the fade. That being said, I do like the second one better than origins. 2 you can move fast and dominate in battle. I played a force mage in that one. The third I haven't tried yet but have on the back burner.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Just met Morrigan, really. Already got all the moves on her to the point that making out has occurred. Things move fast in this game.

Shauna's a playa. Hide your wives!

Spuuky
07-19-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm actually about a third of the way through my second DA3 game right now, with a completely different character in both class and personality. It's still fun, no way I have the patience to do "everything" again though.

Formalhaut
07-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Mr. Carny got me into the series and I instantly fell in love with it. I loved all the games, though I actually don't think DA:I is all that. It is great, don't get me wrong, but the sidequests are just... fetch quests. Companion quests aside, the vast majority of the quests in DA:I were mindless filler with very little involvemnet. "Oh, a letter randomly in the field, telling me to go here." And then you go there: "oh, a dead body, and the end of the quest. Ho hum." It's lazy story-telling, forcing you to draw to your own conclusions what happened.

The dragon battles though, they were awesome. They were pretty epic affairs.

As for DA2, I agree that sarcastic Hawke was the best Hawke by far. I laughed hard several times due to her comments. For my first run-through of the series, I went full paragon with everyone. I had Quistis Cousland (Rogue), Freya Hawke (Warrior) and Vanille Lavellan (Mage) to sample each class. Warrior was fun but mostly mindless. Rogue was very overpowered in Origins with the backstab, and the Mage in DA:I is practically a required class with Barrier.

I'm now doing a Daenerys run-through of DA:I (http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/21/7259653/dragon-age-inquisition-daenerys-targaryen), and I'm amazed at how much it looks like her.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 07:17 PM
I'm now doing a Daenerys run-through of DA:I (http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/21/7259653/dragon-age-inquisition-daenerys-targaryen), and I'm amazed at how much it looks like her.

I saw pictures of her circling Google Images. Looks great.

Wait, is there really no black hair in DA:I? The comment section of that article keeps saying it looks blue.

Formalhaut
07-19-2015, 07:24 PM

Wait, is there really no black hair in DA:I? The comment section of that article keeps saying it looks blue.

It does have some weird 'midnight blue'. I mean, it is 'mostly' black, but it does have a weird blue/purple tinge. To be honest, the hair choices in DA:I are fairly lackluster. It's as if they've not heard of long hair.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 07:30 PM

It does have some weird 'midnight blue'. I mean, it is 'mostly' black, but it does have a weird blue/purple tinge. To be honest, the hair choices in DA:I are fairly lackluster. It's as if they've not heard of long hair.

None of them seem to have heard of long hair. The longest hair I ever see is down to your shoulders and that's exclusive to female characters.

Formalhaut
07-19-2015, 07:52 PM

None of them seem to have heard of long hair. The longest hair I ever see is down to your shoulders and that's exclusive to female characters.

It was better in DA:O and DA:2 I think. For such a complex customisation system, they really skimped on the hair.

Forsaken Lover
07-19-2015, 09:04 PM
During my first DAO run I was enthralled by the power of choice that I had never seen before. (it was my first WRPG ever) As such, I told the thoroughly unpleasant Morrigan to go away.

I got yelled at a lot by my GF and others for this.

Formalhaut
07-19-2015, 09:23 PM
During my first DAO run I was enthralled by the power of choice that I had never seen before. (it was my first WRPG ever) As such, I told the thoroughly unpleasant Morrigan to go away.

I got yelled at a lot by my GF and others for this.

I actually liked Morrigan. I always tried to see the good in her. I mean, yes, she is pretty spiteful, but I like to think she's a good person really​.

Mr. Carnelian
07-19-2015, 09:39 PM
I really liked the changes in Morrigan's character in DA:I. She's become a lot more subtle and politically savvy.

I also love the scene where she faces off against her mother and tells her to back off her son.

Formalhaut
07-19-2015, 09:48 PM
I really liked the changes in Morrigan's character in DA:I. She's become a lot more subtle and politically savvy.

I also love the scene where she faces off against her mother and tells her to back off her son.

Morrigan's love for her son made me warm to her much more than I did in DA:O.

Shauna
07-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Morrigan ain't so bad. She's totally just misunderstood.

Psychotic
07-20-2015, 09:25 AM
I loved Origins but then I heard bad things about 2 and didn't pick it up. Is it worth doing so?

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I loved Origins but then I heard bad things about 2 and didn't pick it up. Is it worth doing so?

Absolutely!

There is a big problem with repeated use of environments. But, in my opinion, that's more than made up for by strong characters and an interesting story.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Absolutely!

There is a big problem with repeated use of environments. But, in my opinion, that's more than made up for by strong characters and an interesting story.

What this man said. Everyone should listen to Mr. Carnelian's wisdom.

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 02:17 PM
If you remember Isabela the Buxom Bisexual Pirate Rogue from Origins, she's a main character in 2.

Do you like big boats?

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 05:43 PM
If you remember Isabela the Buxom Bisexual Pirate Rogue from Origins, she's a main character in 2.

Do you like big boats?

Isabela is brilliant. She has some

http://40.media.tumblr.com/8f326ac7bc99ad443edf9cc4fe79e2a9/tumblr_nj3v1zmm351u9jh5qo1_500.jpg
http://37.media.tumblr.com/5a09b8fe875963a89d1272286a9979bc/tumblr_ml5xhqabsO1qiotbqo1_250.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/8b75a47151f2fa131e18a51754c1bc60/tumblr_mu2nweAlTO1qiotbqo1_r1_250.gif

Plus, her banter with Aveline (especially during the Donnic quest in Act 2) is AMAZING.

Formalhaut
07-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Isabela is hands down my favorite companion in DA:2 and arguably the series. Her humor is so funny, and she also has a surprisingly deep, caring side.

And the repeated environments is lazy, but ultimately I'm playing the game for the story and character development. If anything, the environments in DA:I, at times, felt slightly empty or vacuous.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
And the repeated environments is lazy, but ultimately I'm playing the game for the story and character development. If anything, the environments in DA:I, at times, felt slightly empty or vacuous.

The Hinterlands did get a bit tedious, granted.

But, other locations, such as the Winter Palace - especially the ballroom - were marvelously realised, I thought.

Formalhaut
07-20-2015, 06:09 PM

The Hinterlands did get a bit tedious, granted.

But, other locations, such as the Winter Palace - especially the ballroom - was marvelously realised, I thought.

I found the desert locations the worst, personally. At least the Hinterlands had people.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Isabela is hands down my favorite companion in DA:2 and arguably the series. Her humor is so funny, and she also has a surprisingly deep, caring side.

Isabela is definitely the funniest, but I'd have to say that my favourite DA2 companion is Aveline. She's a tough, straight-talking, no-nonsense kind of woman with a strong sense of right and wrong. But, she's also able to change her mind and be flexible: although she firmly believes in the law, she's willing to bend it if necessary to help others. She's very loyal to her friends and is also secretly quite the romantic, as is made evident during her adorable side-quest to woo Donnic.

Plus, she is the tank to end all tanks. The Immovable ability turns her into an absolute juggernaut.

Del Murder
07-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Aveline and my rogue Hawk pretty much ensured that we never took damage through the course of the game. Which is why I didn't need a healer. Also I liked how she and Hawk were BFFs and I felt their relationship was the closest of everyone.

That's too bad that Isabela was so funny. Since I was a dual wielding rogue myself I never used her. :(

DMKA
07-22-2015, 01:46 AM
Dragon Age Origins was good. Not great, just good. Dragon Age II was garbage. Dragon Age Inquisition was my favorite of the three. I played until Dorian ran out of new dialog to swoon me with.

FFNut
07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
To say 2 was garbage is to say Final Fantasy VII is trash, it's just not true. Most people dismissed the game due to the repeat environment. However if you took the time to really read all the codex, and explore the game as a whole it was the stronger of the two between it and Origins. Plus without what Hawke did you wouldn't have the set up for Inquisitions. Don't let the rushed timeline on the game fool you.

Forsaken Lover
07-22-2015, 04:57 PM
LWsgNLO90Ss
qLPSV0fb9vQ

Forsaken Lover
07-22-2015, 07:29 PM
6IEt01_nd60

Discusses some really cool things like cut content and the like.

Overall he's very positive about the game and he and I even share some opinions, like about how great Anders is and Act II being the best part of DA2.

Formalhaut
07-22-2015, 09:07 PM
I romanced Anders in II and I really hope that he and my Hawke get a happy ending! I hate to see them apart. :ohdear:

Mr. Carnelian
07-22-2015, 09:14 PM
I've done the Anders romance, as both a male mage and a female mage.

I've also done Alastair, Zevran, Isabela and Dorian.

I thought all of the romances were good, apart from the Zevran one, which sucked.

Other romances I intend to do at some point are Iron Bull and Serah.

Dorian was my favourite. :thumbsup:

Which romance options have you all done, and which was your favourite? :spin:

DMKA
07-23-2015, 12:32 AM
To say 2 was garbage is to say Final Fantasy VII is trash, it's just not true.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Dragon Age II is my trash. You're more than welcome to it.

Forsaken Lover
07-23-2015, 03:05 AM
Romances I've Done:
Leliana
Zevran (as both man and woman)
Alistair
Anders (male mage)
Merrill
Isabela (I only play Fem Hawke from now on so I was a girl for both of these)

Merrill is the best, hands down. I like them all however.

Spuuky
07-23-2015, 05:40 AM
My "main" character who I have played through all 3 games with has a strict vow of chastity so she has not romanced anyone.

I would romance Shale if I could, though.

Forsaken Lover
07-24-2015, 11:27 PM
In Act Iii of Dragon Age II, if Zevran is alive, you can help him escape the Crows. If Isabela is around, and you aren't romancing anyone besides her, you can elect to join her and Zevan for a threesome.

The best part is that the three of you loudly proclaim your intentions and then just walk off, leaving your remaining two party members standing there awkwardly. If Aveline is in your party:
"I think I just threw up a little in my mouth."

Shauna
10-21-2015, 03:52 PM
I finished it.

Morrigan broke my heart.

I will never trust another video game character again.

Forsaken Lover
10-21-2015, 05:03 PM
A good rule of thumb is to never romance the apostate mage in these games. It never ends well.

Del Murder
10-21-2015, 06:34 PM
I romanced Morrigan for the fast and furious fling and then switched to Leliana to settle down. So everything worked out well for me.

Shauna
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
I was going to do that, but I did really like Morrigan as a character so I chose to stick with her.

Mr. Carnelian
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I was going to do that, but I did really like Morrigan as a character so I chose to stick with her.

It's actually totally possible for everything with Morrigan to work out in the end (as long as you agree to her 'ritual').

In the 'Witch Hunt' DLC for Origins, you catch up with her again, and can choose to leave with her to a mysterious realm.

Shauna
10-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Indeed. I may or may not have went out of my way to only buy the Witch Hunt DLC so my Warden could have a "happy"(?) ending.

But, my thoughts on DA:O as a whole: I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't actually have to play the game itself. The combat was terrible and slow, and the only reason I managed to get through it is because I dropped it down on to CASUAL MODE (which I had forgotten about, but now that I remember it makes sense that I suddenly really enjoyed it probably from around the time I lowered the difficulty). My team of Morrigan, Wynne, Leliana and Tank-Warden mostly dominated at this point, but even on easy some things got the better of me. xD

I really enjoyed the story and the world and the characters, and honestly when I was done I was like "I could really do this again with a different character and do a different path, that would be neat!". But then I remembered that I would actually have to play the game and that thought is quickly brushed aside in favour of anything else. In this case it is Bayonetta 2.

Anyway, DA2 is on its way so I'll play that and let you all know my important opinions on that one.

Freya
10-21-2015, 10:57 PM
DA2's combat is sooo much better so you'll probably be able to get through that one much easier.

I freaking love DA but for some reason it's taking me until this past week to actually get to DAI. THe world is just too large for a gamer like me. When you give me lots of space I want to visit all of it and do all of it. So I had 8 hrs invested in it and had only finished maybe 10% of the story. So finally i'm going back to actually playing it.

I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character. I did flirt with Blackwall a bit but decided to not push that one.

In DA: Orgins I romanced Alistair :kaoclove: and in Dragon Age: Awakening I super loved Anders so I was determined to love him in DA2, but they dramatically changed his character so I went with Fenris. (Also a playthrough with sebastian, well as much as you could there).

Bioware :kaoclove:

Mr. Carnelian
10-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character.

Cullen is only interested in women (specifically, human and elf women. Isn't that a bit racist?) and Dorian is only interested in men.

You can't really choose between them: if you're playing a female character, Dorian isn't an option and if you're playing a male character, Cullen isn't an option.

Dorian is AWESOME, by the way. Most believable gay male character I've ever come across in video games. Definitely go with Dorian if you're playing as a man.

Formalhaut
10-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Having said that, I romanced Cullen and I got ALL the feels. Especially when he goes through his lyrium thing. Sorry, I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say.

Spuuky
10-22-2015, 01:29 AM
DA:O's combat is great, I wish more games were as good. DA2's is far worse (and far faster, with less user agency) so it sounds like you'll like it more.

Shauna
10-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Possibly. I went into DA:O expecting Mass Effect with swords instead of space lasers, so when I got the slow paced battles, I wasn't terribly impressed. Another thing that may have affected my general enjoyment is that I was playing on PS3 - I was speaking to my friend last night and she said that she can't imagine the combat "working" on anything but PC. So there's possibly that too.

Eh, to each their own.

Psychotic
10-22-2015, 12:13 PM
I had the Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC, which included items you could give to characters as gifts to instantly max out their like (which I used on everyone but Alistair) or hate (Here you go Alistair) of you. To summarise, my fat ugly ginger Dwarf banged Morrigan, Leliana and Zevran. Because he could.

Freya
10-22-2015, 02:31 PM
I haven't decided if I want to romance Cullen or Dorian yet. I was set on Cullen but then they introduced the story part with Dorian and the mages this weekend when I was playing and now I really enjoy his character.

Cullen is only interested in women (specifically, human and elf women. Isn't that a bit racist?) and Dorian is only interested in men.

You can't really choose between them: if you're playing a female character, Dorian isn't an option and if you're playing a male character, Cullen isn't an option.

Dorian is AWESOME, by the way. Most believable gay male character I've ever come across in video games. Definitely go with Dorian if you're playing as a man.

Awwwww but it lets me flirt with him a lot :(

Del Murder
10-22-2015, 05:20 PM
In DA: Orgins I romanced Alistair :kaoclove: and in Dragon Age: Awakening I super loved Anders so I was determined to love him in DA2, but they dramatically changed his character so I went with Fenris. (Also a playthrough with sebastian, well as much as you could there).
Yeah, one of the most disappointing things in DA2 was what they did to Anders. He was one of my favorite characters from Awakening and what we got in DA2 was a completely different character that they should have just created from scratch. It was actually a pretty good character, but I never used him or liked him because he was supposed to be Anders and this was not Anders. Which was fine, since DA2 is so easy that you don't even need a healer.

I agree with Spuuky that DAO's combat was overall better than DA2. I did like the speed of DA2, but the endless spawning of sword fodder in the battles (all of which dispatched easily by my button-mashing rogue who likely could have soloed most of the game) got ridiculous.

I hear DAI is vast, vast, vast and that actually sounds exciting if I had more time to play games. I'll get to it after I finish Mass Effect and then some kind of buffer game so that I'm not over saturating myself with Bioware titles.

Spuuky
10-22-2015, 06:35 PM
RIP Awakening Anders

Formalhaut
10-22-2015, 10:13 PM
I seriously don't understand the love of Awakening Anders. He was a decent enough character in Awakening, he was fairly carefree (at least, superficially) and his story about running away from the Circle Tower was compelling enough.

But in DA2, his character is multi-faceted, layered, and is pretty much a conflicted character. He retains semblances of his original carefree personality at times during banter sequences, especially early on, but you see that change throughout the course of the story. By Act III, Anders cuts a resolute figure. I found Anders a compelling character, and I'm glad my character romanced him, as I found it complimented the Anders arc rather well.

The problem for me with Awakening is that it is only half a game in length, so character storylines, I felt, had to be condensed. There's banter between Justice and Anders that hints towards his growing concern about the treatment of mages, but I got Justice as my final companion, so I didn't get so much banter between them. I suppose DA:II could have filled in some more about what transpired between games, but ultimately, I do vastly prefer DA:II Anders.

That, and it has better clothes than those nasty male mage clothes of Origins.

Freya
10-22-2015, 10:56 PM
I liked his personality in awakening and by adding Justice into him he just got so... grumpy. He was such a jokester in awakening and that was refreshing. Then he just.... wasn't. He was so serious. In awakening he was pissed about the mage treatment but he still help a sense of humor. In 2 he just.. was boring.

I did romance him in my first play through, then fenris in my second, and sebastian in my third.

I played DA:O a few times but always ended with alistair cause he's just so adorkable.

Spuuky
10-22-2015, 11:33 PM
The problem isn't that DA2 Anders is "worse" as a character than Awakening Anders, it's that he just isn't Anders anymore, so why would you make him the same character and try to capitalize on recognition or a tieback when he isn't even remotely the same? It really has nothing to do with whatever you think of the characters themselves.

Formalhaut
10-23-2015, 12:46 AM
I think if you retained Anders jokester personality you'd have a cast of clowns. Isabela, Varric and Merrill all fill a comedy element. Even the rest of the companions have their humorous moments, sans maybe Sebastian, who to be honest I found dull as opposed to Anders.

The main issue I'm seeing is that people find a severe disconnect between his character in Awakening and his character in Dragon Age II. I don't really see that. His personality may have changed, but then some time has passed, and he has Justice/Vengeance within him.

Secondly, if we're characterisation in Awakening and II, I am surprised that people found his Awakening portrayal as more interesting. I found him rather forgettable in Awakening, I just didn't see much of a nuance with him.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-23-2015, 06:12 AM
I love the DA world. The novels aren't half bad either!

I have an undying love for Alistair! I actually modded DA:O on my second playthrough so I could gay it up with him.

The sad part of DAII was that its level design suffered like ME1's. IT WAS THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Though I did like the combat in both games.

DA:I is pretty awesome but I was an early adopter and there was some bugs that really ruined it for me. Basically I got Dorian's romance bugged and the custom Hawke bug which switched my character's voice to the default British which didn't suit him like the American voice did. :( They only fixed that later on which is when I started playing it again!

The MP is pretty fun too! (If anyone ever wants to hit me up on Origin!)

Formalhaut
10-23-2015, 11:01 AM
I love the DA world. The novels aren't half bad either!

I have an undying love for Alistair! I actually modded DA:O on my second playthrough so I could gay it up with him.

The sad part of DAII was that its level design suffered like ME1's. IT WAS THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Though I did like the combat in both games.

DA:I is pretty awesome but I was an early adopter and there was some bugs that really ruined it for me. Basically I got Dorian's romance bugged and the custom Hawke bug which switched my character's voice to the default British which didn't suit him like the American voice did. :( They only fixed that later on which is when I started playing it again!

The MP is pretty fun too! (If anyone ever wants to hit me up on Origin!)

I too romanced Alistair and he is by far my favorite romance, and arguably one of my favorite characters of that game. As for the level design, I agree, they did get lazy. If you ignore that, the combat is rather fun, though it isn't as tactical, I found. DA:I found a middle-ground between the slow paced tactic of Origins and the faster excitement of II. If there was one thing II did was improve mages. I still laugh whenever I see Wynne or Morrigan do the 'pointy stick' attack motion.

I really enjoyed DA:I, but the sidequests are admittedly rather terrible. The companion quests are great, but for the most part, the vast majority of the sidequests are just filler, requiring you to read endless codex entries to fill in what happened. And the environments are cool, but they do sometimes feel empty. The Hissing Wastes is just a poor location all around, I swear we had like three desert locations.

Mr. Carnelian
10-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Awwwww but it lets me flirt with him a lot :(

Turns out you can flirt with someone without them finding you sexually attractive. Who knew? :p

I know some people don't like that you couldn't romance almost anyone as any character like in II, but I actually prefer Inquisition in this regard.

In II, squad characters only ever show evidence of being attracted to the same sex when your character happens to be the same sex as them, which is a bit weird. It's like characters are straight if you're not the same gender as them, but gay if you are. With the exception of Isabela, of course. I'm convinced that she's either bi or pansexual.

In contrast, Inquisition has romanceable characters who are explicitly homosexual - Sera and Dorian. Inquisition also has two bi/pan romanceable characters - Iron Bull and Josephine - and heterosexual romanceable characters - Cullen, Blackwall, Cassandra, Solas.

I do love Bioware for including explicitly non-straight characters in their titles. They even have a trans character - Krem - in Inquisition. Keep at it, Bioware!

Forsaken Lover
10-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Isabela is pansexual.
Anders had a gay lover in his first mission.
Merrill is Merrill.
Fenris is...I dunno.

All of them being bi didn't really matter to me.

Also Awakening Anders hated templars as much as DA2 Anders. It's just that Justice gave him a backbone. Instead of running away from his problems, he confronted them.

Not like it matters. The best Awakening party member was Nathaniel.

I loathe Inquisition. That's all I'll say on that subject. Oh sure, I loved Cassandra and Cole and Josephine but the gameplay. Oh god the gameplay hurts. Enemies with hundreds of thousands of health, in a game like this. It's so slow and boring. And that's not even getting into the Power mechanic which demands you spend a ton of time doing sidequests when all you want to do is progress the story.

I'll never play that game again.

P.S.

The Qun is the only way and one reason I love DA2 was its huge focus on the qunari.

P.S.S.

Leliana was my first ever waifu in a WRPG. I love her so much. But Zevran was just irresistible. It sucks Leliana will only do the threesome or foursome if you Harden her. I wasn't going to do that.

P.S.S.S.

The Friendship/Rivalry system was awesome and I wish they'd bring it back. It's like KOTOR II where High/Low Influence got you entirely different insights into your companions. Friendship and Rivalry could result in very different characterization and development in DA2.

Merrill Friendmance Master Race.

Possibly. I went into DA:O expecting Mass Effect with swords instead of space lasers, so when I got the slow paced battles, I wasn't terribly impressed. Another thing that may have affected my general enjoyment is that I was playing on PS3 - I was speaking to my friend last night and she said that she can't imagine the combat "working" on anything but PC. So there's possibly that too.

Eh, to each their own.

I started with DAO and DA2 and went into ME thinking it would be like them but in space. Everyone told me biotics were space magic so I played an Adept to be a healer.

Yeah...that didn't work out so well.

Mr. Carnelian
10-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Isabela is pansexual.
Anders had a gay lover in his first mission.
Merrill is Merrill.
Fenris is...I dunno.

All of them being bi didn't really matter

I would have absolutely no problem with all of the characters being bi. The problem is that the game doesn't present them that way. Anders only has a past gay lover if you play as a male character: if you play as a female character, he never mentions it, and seemingly never had one. The sexuality of the squad members in two seems to change to suit the gender of your character, which I find quite strange.

Vyk
10-24-2015, 04:16 AM
Retcon for player compatibility. I mean, people are modding the first one to have gay relations with Alistair, forcing a change in character sexuality. So they just figured why not let players have them as whatever sexuality they want. They probably don't act bi, because fans are fickle and would probably have flipped their crap if they accidentally caused everyone to start acting gay when the player is a huge conservative or something. So best not to push any kind of homosexuality until purposely activated. Or something. I think I just countered my own example, but I know what I'm trying to say in my head so hopefully it makes some kind of sense

Madame Adequate
10-28-2015, 03:41 PM
I had the Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC, which included items you could give to characters as gifts to instantly max out their like (which I used on everyone but Alistair) or hate (Here you go Alistair) of you. To summarise, my fat ugly ginger Dwarf banged Morrigan, Leliana and Zevran. Because he could.

This guy knows how to play the game.

10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
I loathe Inquisition. That's all I'll say on that subject. Oh sure, I loved Cassandra and Cole and Josephine but the gameplay. Oh god the gameplay hurts. Enemies with hundreds of thousands of health, in a game like this. It's so slow and boring. And that's not even getting into the Power mechanic which demands you spend a ton of time doing sidequests when all you want to do is progress the story.

I have never experienced enemies with hundreds of thousands of HP. I have been playing the game since day before they patched everything too. Most mobs you run into take maybe a minute at most to destroy, unless you are severely under leveled for the region.

Power doesn't take any time to get either. I have over 100 extra power and I am almost at the end of the plot and haven't even put more than 40 hours in the single player campaign? I mean there was an exploit before it got patched that made it super easy to get power (it involved buying & selling items used for influence) but even taking that out I am standing on way too much power.

I am not saying you have to love the games, just that I am confused as heck what you are talking about. I mean before the patches, it was pretty buggy and it turned me off the game for months but I never experienced either situation.

Spuuky
10-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah my second playthrough (which I'm halfway through-ish), I specifically just am doing the main story, and it's taken me like an hour in total to gather all the "extra" Power I need to advance it so far beyond what you're forced to get.

Formalhaut
10-28-2015, 04:58 PM
I wish you could cash in your power for other goodies, because I had WAY too much power by the end.

Forsaken Lover
10-28-2015, 08:08 PM

I have never experienced enemies with hundreds of thousands of HP. I have been playing the game since day before they patched everything too. Most mobs you run into take maybe a minute at most to destroy, unless you are severely under leveled for the region.

Power doesn't take any time to get either. I have over 100 extra power and I am almost at the end of the plot and haven't even put more than 40 hours in the single player campaign? I mean there was an exploit before it got patched that made it super easy to get power (it involved buying & selling items used for influence) but even taking that out I am standing on way too much power.

I am not saying you have to love the games, just that I am confused as heck what you are talking about. I mean before the patches, it was pretty buggy and it turned me off the game for months but I never experienced either situation.

The Dragons and final boss bot have over 100K HP.

I had to do several areas to gather the Power I needed for Champions of the Just as well as Here Lies the Abyss and Wicked Eyes, Wicked Hearts.

10-29-2015, 05:43 AM
The bugs stopped me from getting to the end and when I have picked it up again, it is only to do side stuff for fun.

I got just pasted Wicked Eyes and Wicked Heart before I quit due to the initial bugs and really found gaining Power easy. Then again, I enjoyed the combat enough to do side quests and explore most of the Hinterlands enough that I rarely had to farm Power.

Ayen
11-02-2015, 12:50 AM
I wish you could cash in your power for other goodies, because I had WAY too much power by the end.

You can never have too much power.

-steamrolls everything-

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Can I revive this thread? Imma revive this thread

So I started Dragon Age Origins and I am enjoying it. I did the Mages Circle and the Elves quests and I loved the ending for the Elf one. Highlight of the game for me so far. I have also recruited Leliana, Sten, some assassin dude, Wynn, and the three that join you early on. I love Leliana, she is my favourite!

I'm still getting the hang of the system though, it's not my typical style of game, so it is a bit of a learning curve

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Can I revive this thread? Imma revive this thread

So I started Dragon Age Origins and I am enjoying it. I did the Mages Circle and the Elves quests and I loved the ending for the Elf one. Highlight of the game for me so far. I have also recruited Leliana, Sten, some assassin dude, Wynn, and the three that join you early on. I love Leliana, she is my favourite!

I'm still getting the hang of the system though, it's not my typical style of game, so it is a bit of a learning curve

How did your Circle Tower and Elven quests end, Pumpkin?

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Um I got the help of the mages, the paladins were coo, Wynn was happy. Killed that evil mage dude

With the werewolves I managed to get them turned back to human, the elves are pretty happy and have agreed to help me, and that one elf dude and the lady of the forest decided it was time for them to go.

I'm not sure what details to give because I'm not sure what differs but there you go xD

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Um I got the help of the mages, the paladins were coo, Wynn was happy. Killed that evil mage dude

With the werewolves I managed to get them turned back to human, the elves are pretty happy and have agreed to help me, and that one elf dude and the lady of the forest decided it was time for them to go.

I'm not sure what details to give because I'm not sure what differs but there you go xD

You got the best endings for the Circle Tower and the Elven forest. Good job!

You're led into a false dual choice with the forest. Kill the werewolves or kill the elves! Of course, there's a third option, which is the one you got.

Which quest are you going to do next?

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Oh yay! I was wondering what would happen if like you kill the elves. Who will help you with the contract thing? That seems a bit weird. Might be fun to try someday if I replay it

I was thinking of doing the dwarf one next.

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Oh yay! I was wondering what would happen if like you kill the elves. Who will help you with the contract thing? That seems a bit weird. Might be fun to try someday if I replay it

I was thinking of doing the dwarf one next.

If would tell you what would happen, but that might spoil you a replay.

So, what's left? You haven't done Redcliffe yet. Redcliffe is at a much easier level than the Dwarven section.

Have you paid a visit to Denerim?

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't think I've been to Denerim yet, no. Thanks for the tip about the Redcliffe part, I suppose I will do that one first then!

The elf/werewolf was my favourite part so far and I hope the story continues in a similar vein. I wasn't super engaged with the mage quest, although it had its moments

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Redcliffe is a gripping section of the story, with tough choices.

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Looking forward to it then :D

How hard/easy is it to romance Leliana? I got her her mom's flowers and errythang :ohdear:

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Not that difficult. I never have (I've only played the game once, so don't take me for an expert ^^;) but I wouldn't think it would be hard.

If there's an option when speaking to her at camp about romance, take it. Otherwise, this might help you out (http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Leliana/Romance).

Freya
03-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Redcliff will be easier now that you did the Mage Tower first. It opens up the best option for the ending there by having the mage tower done. So go you!

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Redcliff will be easier now that you did the Mage Tower first. It opens up the best option for the ending there by having the mage tower done. So go you!

Well, specifically, completing the Mage Tower by saving the mages is the only way to obtain the 'best' ending to the Redcliffe line, but you saved the mages, so that's open to you.

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I dunno, things are bound to go wrong eventually

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:45 PM
If you're not following a guide, things are more likely to go wrong, if only because of wrong dialogue choices, decisions, etc.

But don't worry about 'best choices', or endings. Just play how you like to play, choose dialogue that you would say. There is no right or wrong in this game, really.

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:46 PM
That's basically what I have been doing so far. I think it's more interesting that way in these games

Freya
03-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah by "best ending" I mean the nice one because I'm nice to everyone in all bioware games.

Formalhaut
03-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Yeah by "best ending" I mean the nice one because I'm nice to everyone in all bioware games.

Same here. I always go for the nicest endings, but for a first playthrough I'd recommend just to play it by ear and see what happens. You can always play a 'perfect' play later.

That's what I recommend. I don't follow my own advice, because I hate getting less than second best, so I get the best decisions and choices even on a first playthrough. :p

Pumpkin
03-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Nah I just play how I would normally, guideless, and see where it takes me. Then I can try for the "perfect" ending the next time

The only thin I do NOT want to happen is Dog or Leliana dying

Freya
03-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Well then make sure Wynne Heals them, dang woman.

Psychotic
03-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Looking forward to it then :D

How hard/easy is it to romance Leliana? I got her her mom's flowers and errythang :ohdear:Depends on your tolerance for the phrase "I'm here for you".

Spuuky
03-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Depends on your tolerance for the phrase "I'm here for you".Zero

Forsaken Lover
03-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Leliana was my first romance in DA, too! The Romance just plain won't start until a certain point, I forgetwhen.

As for Redcliffe
Sacrifice Isolde, then sell Connor for Blood Magic. Assuming you're a mage....

Grey Wardens are Not Nice People.

Freya
03-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Leliana was my first romance in DA, too! The Romance just plain won't start until a certain point, I forgetwhen.

As for Redcliffe
Sacrifice Isolde, then sell Connor for Blood Magic. Assuming you're a mage....

Grey Wardens are Not Nice People.
Don't do that, that's mean! To the spoiler lol

Pumpkin
03-14-2016, 06:25 PM
I am currently in Redcliffe and I have opted to run to the Tower of Magi. We'll see if it was the wrong decision

This part hasn't had me as excited as the elf part. It's been kind of average. Although I am beginning to feel like an emotionally abusive partner because Leliana didn't like something I did so I gave her a present and she was happy

WHO NEEDS EFFORT WHEN I HAVE SHINYS TO GIVE

Mr. Carnelian
03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
WHO NEEDS EFFORT WHEN I HAVE SHINYS TO GIVE

That's the biggest problem with Origins's approval system. The easiest way to get Oghren to like you, for example, is to just buy him loads of mead. Yay, I'm enabling your obvious drinking problem! GO FRIENDSHIP!!!

They fix it in 2 and Inquisition. 2 has a really small number of gifts you can get for people - one or two per person, if I remember rightly - and Inquisition doesn't have any.

Formalhaut
03-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Origins gets a load of love, but it does show age. I enjoyed it, and I'll probably replay it again, but it does have flaws.

Dragon Age is best appreciated as a series, as opposed to viewing each game independently. It's the religious commentary I like the most.

Pumpkin
03-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Evil child is saved and the King is in a coma so now I have to go get an urn full of ashes which are, apparently, sacred.

Freya
03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
That's accurate. Those ashes, they seem to be sacred.

Madame Adequate
03-14-2016, 09:03 PM
So sacred.

Take a piss in them.

Formalhaut
03-15-2016, 01:22 AM
So sacred.

Take a piss in them.

Though don't bring Wynne or Leliana if you want them to live afterwards.

Pumpkin
03-15-2016, 01:59 AM
Can I not

Bring them to get the sacred ashes? Because they're like half of my party

Mr. Carnelian
03-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Can I not

Bring them to get the sacred ashes? Because they're like half of my party

You can bring them, but don't piss in the ashes if you do. They'll get hella mad, because they're all religiousy.

Pumpkin
03-15-2016, 03:16 AM
Well good thing I wouldn't do that :colbert:

Mister Adequate :colbert:

Madame Adequate
03-15-2016, 05:34 PM
:colbert: IT'S FUNNY

(Zevvie gains points with you IIRC because he thinks it's hilarious to troll everyone by defiling the ashes)

Pumpkin
03-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Well I never use him so

Madame Adequate
03-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Well I never :colbert:

Formalhaut
03-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Well good thing I wouldn't do that :colbert:

Mister Adequate :colbert:

​Pumpkin Disapproves

Pumpkin
03-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Things did not go well with Alistair's sister :(

Formalhaut
03-16-2016, 02:25 PM
If I remember rightly, things never go well with his sister. She's a bit of a dick.

Pumpkin
03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Yeah she was

Freya
03-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Depending on how you consoled him after is how he'll act later in the game.

Pumpkin
03-16-2016, 02:33 PM
He seemed happy and then he started chatting to Wynne about me and I was mega uncomfortable but I friendlyly emphasized that we are super totes good friends and hopefully that's that now

Formalhaut
03-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Alistair can become 'hardened' if you take a more 'stuff happens, deal with it' approach to the companion quest.

Bubba
03-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Alistair can become 'hardened'

:jokey:

Shauna
03-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Alistair hated me because I let some people die who may or may not have been his family

Madame Adequate
03-16-2016, 04:41 PM
tbf Goldanna fucking deserved it

Pumpkin
03-16-2016, 04:48 PM
So Leliana is my gf now yaaaay :jess!

After I had to awkwardly reject Alistair after he gave me a nice rose and everything and I felt pretty crap ehehe :sweat:

But um YAY LELIANA

Shauna
03-16-2016, 05:01 PM
tbf Goldanna fucking deserved it

I don't even remember this woman. xD I was referring to the entire Redcliffe arc (I didn't get to the Mages before this so I made a harsh choice).

Pumpkin
03-18-2016, 05:07 PM
I got the Sacred Ashes and I quite liked that section. I did find it funny that I was fighting hordes of enemies right near sight seeing guy and he's just there chillin, looking at everything. Enemies ignored him and all of that.

I got all but one of those little riddle things right. But I was quite happy with the sacred ashes thing because I was just putting myself in the shoes of like, what if I was in the presence of something like that for my own faith? I would be so happy and honoured to have had that chance. So Wynne and Leliana were experiencing that type of thing and I was super happy for them!

Formalhaut
03-18-2016, 05:12 PM
I really like Dragon Age for the exploration of religious issues. This continues in II and especially in Inquisition. It's one of the reasons why I prefer Dragon Age slightly over Mass Effect.

Freya
03-18-2016, 07:44 PM
ME does racial tensions pretty well with the different alien races. DA tackles religions and class differences better though.

Pumpkin
03-22-2016, 01:30 PM
I rescued the king, made some decisions I had no business making, and am now at the land of Dwarfs.

I'm still wondering why Jane Nobody is the one everyone is asking to make these important decisions. Like I don't friggin know, I can barely remember who everyone is

I'm having fun though

sharkythesharkdogg
03-22-2016, 02:56 PM
You're Jane Noble-body. That's why.

You're Warden McRighteous Von Paladin-pants.

Formalhaut
03-22-2016, 02:58 PM
And of course, you can't claim the support of the dwarves/elves/mages/redcliffe until you've dealt with their individual problems!

Pumpkin
03-22-2016, 04:08 PM
You're Jane Noble-body. That's why.

You're Warden McRighteous Von Paladin-pants.

I feel like even if I wasn't a noble the Arl would be like "Hey stranger, what do you think we should do about this super important issue?"

How should I know? I'm a lady sitting on her couch eating hot pockets, I know nothing of your political issues

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm back to playing this. Not diggin the dwarf quest but I think I've made my decision so Imma get that over with and hopefully move on to things that I enjoy more!

Pike
04-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Have fun in the Deep Roads :tongue:

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah, the Deep Roads section can drag.

Actually, most of the Deep Roads sections in Dragon Age are slight chores.

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Oh good I am so excited :|

About how far in to the game am I?

Freya
04-14-2016, 05:16 PM
You've done the elves, the circle, Redcliff, Ashes, the dwarves? You're getting close to the end.

Formalhaut
04-14-2016, 05:52 PM
You've done the elves, the circle, Redcliff, Ashes, the dwarves? You're getting close to the end.

Yeah, you're at the final main quest line. After finishing up with the Dwarves, you then move on to the final section of the game. The Landsmeet is a pretty awesome section.

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 07:29 PM
What, I would have guessed halfway!

So uh, look forward to my review coming soon to a forum near you

Pike
04-14-2016, 07:59 PM
I was surprised by how quickly the end came rushing up. Like once you get to the Landsmeet it's time for EXCITEMENT and then wait what it's over

Pumpkin
04-14-2016, 08:03 PM
I guess there's always part 2 and 3!

Pike
04-14-2016, 09:00 PM
There are also the DLCs and expansions for Origins. Awakenings is a good 20 hours or so if you go through and do all the sidequests and stuff.

Spuuky
04-15-2016, 07:45 PM
Awakening was way shorter than that for me, but yes there is always games 2 and 3. I was really fired up for #2 by the time I finished #1.

Formalhaut
04-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Depending on how slow you play (I play really slowly), Awakening can be half a game. It was for me. I might be exaggerating slightly, but it was a very long DLC.

Not a bad one, too.

Pumpkin
04-17-2016, 05:56 PM
I have started the Landsmeet stuff!

Jessweeee♪
04-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Oh hell yes the Landsmeet, one of my favorite parts of Origins.

Also, everything dwarves in the Dragon Age series is either a snoozefest or incredibly fascinating there's no in between and it's all Very Important.

Pike
04-18-2016, 12:33 AM
I have started the Landsmeet stuff!

LANDSMEEEEEET

Be sure to tell us how it goes down with Loghain!

Pumpkin
04-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Alistair killed Loghain and the Queen will stay the Queen. Also I am having an awful time against the Archdemon

Pike
04-18-2016, 03:14 PM
That's how it worked out in my latest playthrough too. (With Alistair and Anora I mean.)

Who's your party for fighting the archdemon?

Pumpkin
04-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Myself, Leliana, Alistair, and Wynne. I have the most money and everything invested in them so they're the best I have. My A Team, as it were.

I think I know the issue. I get the dragon down to 50% HP like... very quickly, and then it summons all of these Darkspawn, right? Well I thought I HAD to defeat all of the darkspawn before I could fight the dragon again and it seems that is not so. And gosh are there a lot of darkspawn. So Imma try again while mostly focusing on the archdemon instead of the minions

Pumpkin
04-18-2016, 04:59 PM
I won :jess:!!!

It was rough when the darkspawn first started showing up but I don't know what happened, at one point they left me alone with the Ballista and I could just shoot at the archdemon from a distance while he did nothing until I won.

The ending was nice, catching me up on how everything went. I had fun and sometime down the line I will replay it differently. Also I will get II at some point

Pike
04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Congrats :D

Are you going to play the DLC? Awakenings is pretty much a direct sequel (although with mostly new party members). Darkspawn Chroncles lets you play through bits of the game AS A DARKSPAWN and you get to kill all the heroes (which made me feel like a monster, honestly, haha.)

I think my favorite DLC was Witch Hunt even though it was far, far too short. I loved the party members I got in that one.

And since you like Leliana you will probably like Leliana's Song! :jess:

Pumpkin
04-18-2016, 05:43 PM
I probably will once we have additional funds and I take a bit of a break from it! Thanks for the recommendations, I will be sure to check them out :D

Formalhaut
04-19-2016, 12:13 AM
Good job! And after those DLC, you've got Dragon Age: II. Honestly, I'm not sure if you'd prefer Origins or II.

Pike
04-19-2016, 12:16 AM
Pumpkin, I think you're going to like Merrill.

Spuuky
04-19-2016, 12:41 AM
As much as anyone can like an elf, anyway

Pumpkin
08-01-2016, 04:43 PM
So I got FFXIII-2, got all excited to play it, aaaaaand it didn't work. Even though I'd bought it like a month ago, the people at the GameStop know me pretty well (because I'm sad), so they were going to let me exchange it without a receipt or anything. But they didn't have another copy, so instead I got a game of equal value.

And so now I have begun Dragon Age II! I literally just started before bed, made my character and that was it, and then it froze up on me (hurray), so I don't have any impressions yet.

Formalhaut
08-01-2016, 04:49 PM
So I got FFXIII-2, got all excited to play it, aaaaaand it didn't work. Even though I'd bought it like a month ago, the people at the GameStop know me pretty well (because I'm sad), so they were going to let me exchange it without a receipt or anything. But they didn't have another copy, so instead I got a game of equal value.

And so now I have begun Dragon Age II! I literally just started before bed, made my character and that was it, and then it froze up on me (hurray), so I don't have any impressions yet.

What's sad at about playing video games? Embrace your hobby, Pumpkin!

I'm excited to hear you start Dragon Age II! Before the game froze up on you (as an aside, that's some horrible bad luck you've got there) what Hawke did you create?

My first time was a female Hawke two-hand warrior called Freya. Before you think that strange, my first Dragon Age series playthrough had the theme that all of the (female) main characters had a FF related name. In Origins, it was Quistis, II Freya, and Inquisition had Vanille. Little story for you there.

Though honestly, I preferred my current second playthrough with my archer rogue Tristan. With the two-handed warrior, you basically just mashed the attack button, closed distance and used the odd ability.

Pike
08-01-2016, 04:52 PM
I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO MEET MERRILL

Pumpkin
08-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Rogue female. Seeing what the starting look was and what the rest of the family looks like, I thought it would be funny to make my character look adopted. So she has like super light, long blonde hair and dark brown eyes and stuff. I kept the default name though.

Freya
08-01-2016, 05:34 PM
I really like DA2. There will be some reused maps a few times, don't be discouraged by that please. A lot were but the story is still good.

Formalhaut
08-01-2016, 05:48 PM
The main issue with Dragon Age II is the repeated environments, but if you look aside that, it probably has the best script and dialogue in the series in my views. Playing your Hawke as sarcastic is the best experience.

Pumpkin
08-02-2016, 04:45 AM
Enchantment!

So the game likes to freeze up on me. Not bad enough that I need to reset, but I do keep my book beside me in case I need to burn a few minutes waiting for it to load. Maybe this is why the games were so cheap, but it's kind of frustrating.

My character is suave as heck though so that's good

Forsaken Lover
08-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Dragon Age Ii is a good game.

I would very much like to hear your feelings on the companions as you meet and grow to know them, especially Anders.

Best character in the trilogy is in this game though. (The Arishok)

Do you plan to get any DLC? Mark of the Assassin is fun and interesting but optional.
Legacy however is pivotal and some argue it's even more important than the main plot of the game.

Oh and then there's The Exiled Prince. Sebastian is...I'll just come right out and say it. He's the worst companion in any DA game ever. But his DLC is worth it to see just why he's so terrible. Also there is a very pleasant thing that happens in his Act 3 quest that I think you'd enjoy, Pumpkin.

Pike
08-02-2016, 07:09 PM
I love Sebastian. Even though screw him I'm not killing Anders for you bro. fuck the chantry but I still like him.

Then again I like literally everyone in DA2

Pumpkin
08-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Crummy quality pic of my Hawke:

http://i.imgur.com/coIK7IJ.jpg?1

So I just met Anders, hard to say what I think of him right now.

My sister is more stylish than me and I am jelly

Avaline is pretty stick in the muddish but she still seems like a pretty stand up lady. Also she has giant boobs.

I don't like Varric so far

Pike
08-02-2016, 07:28 PM
I don't like Varric so far

W H A T

Anyways, Anders works better if you play the Awakening DLC for Origins first. You get a really good introduction for him and his story becomes more tragic.

Pumpkin
08-02-2016, 07:30 PM
W E L L

I'm not doing that right now, so there

Madame Adequate
08-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Anders is complex, yeah. Aveline is Team Mom and you will come to appreciate her a lot.

Varric is the greatest person in Thedas so uh

Pike
08-02-2016, 07:31 PM
It's me, the Anders Defense Squad

Actually the Kirkwall Crew Defense Squad in general I love them all so much

I love DA2 so much

Pumpkin
08-02-2016, 07:33 PM
It is weird hearing about the hero of Ferelden and the Grey Warden who ended the blight and I'm like

THAT'S ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forsaken Lover
08-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Most people comment on Aveline's chin/jaw. I guess her boobs are nice too, though.

Also now you recruited Anders, I recommend heading to The Hanged Man during the daytime. Also don't forget to check your mail in Gamlen's House. You get additional quests there.

Formalhaut
08-03-2016, 01:19 AM
I appreciate Sebastian while increasingly loathing him as the Acts progress. He starts out nice, but by late Act 3 he starts to wear. I still like him, though.

I honestly can't think of anyone who has disliked Varric. Like, ever. If Aveline is team mum, Varric is a good shout for team dad. I love both of them equally.

What is it about Varric that you dislike? It's the chest hair, isn't it?

Pumpkin
08-03-2016, 03:46 AM
It certainly doesn't help.

Keep in mind I really haven't been playing for long so my opinions could very much change, but he just seems too... forced to me. A bit fake. I dunno

Formalhaut
08-03-2016, 04:45 AM
It certainly doesn't help.

Keep in mind I really haven't been playing for long so my opinions could very much change, but he just seems too... forced to me. A bit fake. I dunno

It's okay, I can sort of see where you're coming from. I'm trying hard to remember what my thoughts were of everyone on my first playthrough. Varric is definitely a character I loved more and more, so maybe just give it time, you're still very early on.

I think the character that took the longest time for me to warm up to was probably Merrill, surprisingly enough. I do concede this will mean Pike/Mister Adequate will tag-team me.

Forsaken Lover
08-03-2016, 08:58 AM
I pretty much ignored Merrill my first run. I really don't like the Dalish tattoos and never could see myself liking someone with them plastered on their face.

Then on my second run I gave her a shot and now I love her to death.

Pike
08-03-2016, 10:06 AM
I honestly just love everyone in this game. I love them all. I want them all to be happy. :(

Forsaken Lover
08-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I honestly just love everyone in this game. I love them all. I want them all to be happy. :(

But what would make Anders and Fenris happy is if the other one was skewered and roasted alive.

Freya
08-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm meh about Merrill still.

Also on the sebastian front. I liked him a lot when I tried to seduce and corrupt him. :3

Pike
08-03-2016, 06:06 PM

But what would make Anders and Fenris happy is if the other one was skewered and roasted alive.

that's why I'm gonna put them in a getalong shirt.

Spuuky
08-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Varric is definitely the type to grow on you rather than being immediately likable.

Of course, all Elves are lesser beings and should go back to their hovels.

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 06:31 AM
I've officially recruited Anders. He started flirting with me like 10 seconds later.

"This is my dark and tragic backstory. It's very painful to talk about. By the way, you're hawt"

:stare:

Also recruited Merrill. She's clearly hiding something.

NOW I HAVE TOO MANY MAGES WAT DO

Forsaken Lover
08-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Well Anders is the best healer in the game so I'd advise using him. Merrill's health starts pathetically low and Blood Magic only compounds the problem.

Also Hawke can say the exact same thing to Anders if you pick the dialogue option with the heart icon. ("Flirt") Basically "ooh, a dark and tragic past. Yummy."

Pike
08-05-2016, 10:40 AM
NOW I HAVE TOO MANY MAGES WAT DO

embrace the mages. learn to love the mages. fuck the chantry

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 04:23 PM
But I need at least one front of the line person because I archer and now I'm just BURIED IN MAGES

ALSO WHO ROMANCE

Pike
08-05-2016, 04:51 PM
did you meet Fenris and Isabela yet?

You gotta meet all the potentials before you decide

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Nah not yet

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 05:08 PM
I went archer rogue with my last playthrough, and a very good party composition includes:

- Aveline: you're going to have to get used to seeing her in your party. She's the only and best tank you have and becomes an immovable force with the right skills. Emphasise any defensive talents early in her development. While later on you can experiment with making her more damaging, for the most part she'll have too many sustained defensive abilities to have much active stamina left, and you should really save that small pool for repeated use of taunt. How offensive she can be ultimately depends on how fragile the team behind her is, and the difficulty. I assume you're playing on Casual (like me!) so she can afford to pass up on some defence.

- Anders: Only Bethany and Anders can enter the Creation tree, and Anders is the better healer. Focus on creation first, getting the valuable heal upgrades, before picking up haste, which really ups your damage output. After that, he's more flexible, but going down either elemental or primal is always useful.

- Isabela/Fenris: You haven't obtained them yet, and while I'll try not to avoid gameplay spoilers for them (like what class they are, for example), they are both close-combat fighters. This works well because you have two up-front and two hanging back, which is nice. Having three ranged and Aveline alone at the front can result in your more fragile ranged fighters getting swamped if Aveline can't manage to draw all the aggro.

That's not to say the others aren't useful! But this probably provides the most balanced team for an archer rogue if you're having trouble in combat. Aveline is pretty important though. Having said that, I always play on casual (maaybe normal) so party composition isn't as essential, and I can bring anyone I like to listen to their snarky comments on quests and side-quests. Use that as a guide, but seriously, pick whoever you fancy.

You mentioned what to do with all the mages. The great thing with this game is that they can do very different roles. Anders is best as a healer/damager hybrid, and Bethany is probably about the same as well.

Merrill though can be very useful as a damager/debuffer. Her main 'gimmick' so to speak is her blood magic, which unlocks later on. You can decide whether to opt in or not (I always do because story). If you do decide to go down the blood magic path, dump all of her points in constitution and magic, as willpower becomes effectively meaningless when she's using it. This also means Merrill is very handy for dumping two more sustained abilities, as they take up a percentage of mana, meaning a willpower of 11 is as good as having a willpower of 35. Blood magic uses her health as payment, so dump points in constitution. She can be surprisingly sturdy!

EDIT: Also about bringing whoever you want, that becomes important if you want to better control friendship/rivalry stats. I always befriend my companions. With some... 'harder to please' companions, knowing not to use them really helps!

Pike
08-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Anders, Fenris, Merrill, Isabela are your four romance options. All four come with baggage, Anders comes with a special end of the game ~surprise~ which you will either love or hate depending on how you feel about certain game events

If you have the DLC you can also date Sebastian, who also has a ton of baggage (as this is Baggage: The Game), but he's kind of hard to snag. He's a church boy and you can really only get him if you're super churchy back to him and like, don't flirt with anyone else throughout the game or something like that

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the tips! I dun think I have the DLC though, but oh well.

Is there a good way to get more friendship points outside of plot events?

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Anders comes with a special end of the game ~surprise~ which you will either love or hate depending on how you feel about certain game events

WHHHHYYYYY.

If you have the DLC you can also date Sebastian, who also has a ton of baggage (as this is Baggage: The Game), but he's kind of hard to snag. He's a church boy and you can really only get him if you're super churchy back to him and like, don't flirt with anyone else throughout the game or something like that

Sebastian is the most difficult person to romance. He is also the only character available for romance who isn't bisexual. Then again, you're playing as Fem!Hawke, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Date whoever you feel like! I dated Anders with my Fem!Hawke and Fenris with my Mas!Hawke. I enjoyed both routes pretty much equally.

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 05:21 PM
I want Leliana :G

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the tips! I dun think I have the DLC though, but oh well.

Is there a good way to get more friendship points outside of plot events?

Compared to Dragon Age: Origins, the use of gifts have been heavily reduced. As the ever helpful wikia states:

Gifts still influence friendship and rivalry, but the number of gifts in the game has been significantly reduced from Dragon Age: Origins. Companions react differently to gifts depending on their friendship/rivalry score. If the player gives a gift to a companion who approves of the gift, they may express gratitude, while a rival may perceive the gift as an insult and tell them to keep it.

So basically, if Anders is on the friendship path, it'll up friendship. If he's on the rivalry path, it'll up rivalry instead. Pretty simple, but gifts are not an automatic +10 to approval like they were in Origins. Best to keep in mind.

The best way to raise approval (or rivalry, if preferred) is through quests. These include the big main quests, but also side-quests and smaller companion quests and cutscenes. I always use a guide, because I am that much of a sellout, but it shouldn't be too​ difficult to keep everyone happy.

Pumpkin
08-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Alrighty, thanks!

Pike
08-05-2016, 05:38 PM
I want Leliana :G

Leliana's in a DLC!

Balancing character reputation is kinda rough in this game, for example Anders likes when you support mage freedom, Merrill likes if you're okay with blood magic and demons, Fenris likes if you like the templars, Isabela likes if you're a sarcastic flirt. Varric and Aveline tend to support Doing the Right Thing (TM).

You can still romance people even if you're in a rivalry with someone instead of a friendship, it does sort of change the romance though.

Anders comes with a special end of the game ~surprise~ which you will either love or hate depending on how you feel about certain game events

WHHHHYYYYY.

because the mages are right, fuck the chantry and the templars :smug:

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Balancing character reputation is kinda rough in this game, for example Anders likes when you support mage freedom, Merrill likes if you're okay with blood magic and demons, Fenris likes if you like the templars, Isabela likes if you're a sarcastic flirt. Varric and Aveline tend to support Doing the Right Thing (TM).

You can still romance people even if you're in a rivalry with someone instead of a friendship, it does sort of change the romance though.

As I said, it helps if you switch characters to suit your purposes. Most of this is commonsense like Pike says; if you're doing a mission where you'll be supporting the mages, it helps not to bring Fenris along. Being supportive of blood magic is the most difficult line to hold onto, because a majority of characters disapprove of it, leading to a situation where you either have to piss off Merrill or piss off up to two or three people. But by and large, you can predict what responses you will have to give and adjust accordingly.

The good news is that once you have reached 100% friendship or rivalry, it locks in to that status, meaning anymore changes will not happen. This allows you to not worry about that character disapproving of your actions, for example. Varric and Aveline are fairly easy to max out friendship wise, meaning you can choose not to use them in favour of characters who aren't quite as friendly/angry at you.

There are good benefits for getting 50% friendship or rivalry on a character, as they gain a passive ability at that point that is always useful.

Pike
08-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I usually use the Dragon Age wiki (http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki) and look up quests in advance to note any approval changes and plan who to bring to what quest. I can usually successfully 100% everyone in a single playthrough (except Isabela, good Andraste's knickers I have a difficult time maxing her out and I don't know why. Guess I'm not flirty enough??)

Forsaken Lover
08-05-2016, 06:09 PM
It's very easy to Rival Merrill. Then again, just because something is easy doesn't make it right. Friendmanced Merrill for life.

Anders,Merrill and Fenris are easy to read and get to what you want. The rest can be a bit trickier. I have a hard time Rivaling Aveline, for instance.

And Sebastian should be left dead in a ditch somewhere. You get +100 Friendship from me!

Ffamran mied Bunansa
08-06-2016, 11:23 PM
I've started DA: Origins quite a few times and gotten far but never beaten it. DA2 I quit almost immediately. Inquisition I oddly actually beat and enjoyed despite being able to tell it was a worse game than Origins.

Pike
08-07-2016, 10:11 AM
DA2 I quit almost immediately.

That's a real shame because it's great once you let yourself get into it. You should try it again :D

anyways I hit this milestone yesterday, because I'm a real loser

Pumpkin
08-09-2016, 01:10 AM
I've recruited what's his name. Fenris?

We... we don't get along.

Also me and Avaline or whatever her name is are absurdly neutral towards each other. EVERY TIME I get a + whatever friendship, I get the same amount for rivalry like 2 minutes later. UUUGGHHGHGHGHGHG

Pike
08-09-2016, 01:16 AM
I've recruited what's his name. Fenris?

We... we don't get along.

Just don't take him to anything involving helping mages and you'll be good.

You'll get serious amounts of approval with him for his personal quest later simply by sticking up for him. In my last playthrough I went FULL MAGE RIGHTS, FUCK THE TEMPLARS and I still had +100 friendship with Fenris by the end.

Formalhaut
08-09-2016, 03:09 AM
Yeah, Fenris starts off as a total frosty but as you get to learn about his past you do start to understand why he thinks what he thinks. Probably one of the more interesting party members for this game, I found it pretty exciting romancing him with my totally mage-friendly Tristan Hawke; it actually became one of my favourite romances in the series.

It is very possible like Pike said to maintain a pro-mage stance while still friending the pants off (or on) of him. The key is to never take him with you when you're about to take a pro-mage stance. Siding with him and supporting him during his personal quests are obvious point-scorers, but you can also earn brownie points by going out of your way to help slaves and other disaffected people in society.

I actually found Sebastian the hardest to maximise friendship in this game. He arrives later in Act II and there's less opportunities to boost his friendship, that and with my archer Tristan I didn't really want to bring another archer. He's still very doable, but it's more of a late act II/very early act III stage. Varric is also an archer, but he's pretty easy to please generally.

Oh gosh I'm just imagining an Archer Hawke/Sebastian/Varric party. Yeah, don't do that. Even on casual.

Pike
08-09-2016, 10:12 AM
I still can't figure out how to maximize Isabela. I can max everyone else, Sebastian included, but Isabela eludes me.

EDIT: Same with Carver I guess but I don't even know if it's possible with him, he's gone for too much of the game

Formalhaut
08-09-2016, 12:26 PM
I still can't figure out how to maximize Isabela. I can max everyone else, Sebastian included, but Isabela eludes me.

EDIT: Same with Carver I guess but I don't even know if it's possible with him, he's gone for too much of the game

Isabela isn't so bad, but if you're going rather saintly she can disapprove if you're going out of your way to help people. The hardest people to gain approval for are those characters who don't have a strong opinion on the Mage/Templar debate. Isabela is pretty unflustered, so it can be hard to get big gains. Same with Varric really, though just being a good guy tends to get his approval up regardless.

With Carver, you automatically start with him into the rivalry range. I'm not even sure if it is possible to maximise friendship with him. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Carver, so he's pretty much the only companion I'd even contemplate going into rivalry with.

Forsaken Lover
08-09-2016, 02:42 PM
It's easier to Friend Carver than Rival Bethany. I believe I read it's literally impossible to Rival Bethany, at least to max it.

Anyway, Varric is the hardest one to Rival for me. Need a guide for that trout.

I just 20 Rivalry from Anders just from the end of Enemies Among Us. It is refreshing to make such quick progress. Him and Merrill and Fenris are the easiest to figure out.

In my own current run I'm romancing Fenris for the first time. In order, I've done:
Anders
Merrill
Isabela

They're all great for different reasons although Merrill is still hands down my favorite. I'm interested to see what becomes of Friendmancing Fenris.

Pike
08-09-2016, 02:49 PM
You know what would be fun and/or interesting, a playthrough where you manage to max out rivalry with EVERYONE. I'm assuming you'd have to start with a mage Hawke (so you get Carver, who is already deep in Rivalry Hell) and then do the opposite thing you would to friendship everyone. Take Fenris to quests where you support the mages and take Anders to quests where you support the Templars. Refuse to give Merrill the thingy in her companion quest, which nets her a big ol' boatload of rivalry (unless you're +100 friendship with her which I always am at that point xD)

Spuuky
08-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Perhaps I'm alone but I prefer to have my characters in Dragon Age just act according to the personality I've created for them, and let Friendships and Rivalries form as they may, rather than actively working on pleasing or displeasing companions. The idea of things like "don't take this person along for this quest" seems so game-y to me.

Pike
08-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Perhaps I'm alone but I prefer to have my characters in Dragon Age just act according to the personality I've created for them, and let Friendships and Rivalries form as they may, rather than actively working on pleasing or displeasing companions. The idea of things like "don't take this person along for this quest" seems so game-y to me.

I have done playthroughs like that too. I guess I like giving myself different goals on different playthroughs. Sometimes the goal is to roleplay the character and make the relationships organic, sometimes the goal is to get everyone to like me.

Except for Inquisition, screw that, everyone always hates me in Inquisition so I don't even try. Except for Solas. Solas loves me. And I love Solas.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
08-09-2016, 05:08 PM
What would you guys like out of a fourth game?

Pike
08-09-2016, 05:13 PM
What would you guys like out of a fourth game?

Less of the weird grindy feel of Inquisition, more of a real linear story (I know the trend these days is for open world and choice in games but honestly I don't play DA for that.)

I really wanna go to the Anderfels but I'm pretty sure the next game is gonna be set in Tevinter. Which will still be cool, mind you.

A GOOD RESOLUTION TO THE SOLAS ROMANCE. :crying2:

I'm not sure whether or not I want a return of the Warden, as much as I'd love to see my Warden(s) again I wasn't super fond of how Hawke was handled in Inq. I dunno, it depends on how they pull it off I guess!

Pumpkin
08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty much just playing me and seeing where I end up with people

Spuuky
08-09-2016, 06:06 PM
I just want the writing to be good, a real risk with all the people who have left or are leaving Bioware and/or the DA team.

I'd also like the combat to be slower and tactical rather than faster and more console-friendly, but I know that's not going to happen so I've written off the possibility.

Formalhaut
08-09-2016, 07:08 PM
I agree with Pike: Inquisition is a humongous time sink with large areas (yay!) with rather tepid sidequests (boo!). I mean, the Hinterlands is a prime example of that sort of grindy time-sink sort of design that was fun for a while, then you kinda just get bored. The main quests are great, but outside of those, there's less of an opportunity to enjoy rich sidequests with a colourful array of characters. That's what Dragon Age II excelled in.

I also felt that you couldn't do as many dialogue choices in Inquisition either. You can't bribe, lie or talk your way out of things nine times out of ten. Your companions don't chirp up as much during cutscenes, which is disappointing.

I actually liked the gameplay. That was one of the best bits. Maybe provide a bit of variety. I appreciated every companion having their own unique tree, which helped differentiate them from others in their class. But in Inquisition, your specialisations are those unique trees, which lessens the effect.

They're the main things. Still a good game, but it worsens with age (and length of play). From the fourth game, aside from obvious 'good story' and 'good characters', I'd like a more fleshed out array of sidequests, and better customisation options. Especially the hair: my goodness you basically choose from 'shaved', 'slightly less shaved', 'short' or 'weird hairstyle I've never seen before'. Not many long hairstyles.

Forsaken Lover
08-10-2016, 04:19 AM
I'd also like the combat to be slower and tactical rather than faster and more console-friendly, but I know that's not going to happen so I've written off the possibility.

You can't get slower than Inquisition....

I've played Inquisition once and I refuse to play it again because the gameplay was literal torture. And there's so much of it. To try and enjoy other views of the story, I'd have to suffer through all those hours of collecting Power and I refuse.

Inquisition had the best use of the Dialogue Wheel to date and you had so many options for characterizing your PC. That was awesome. I liked most of the companions, although the Approval system sucks.

So what do I want in DA4? More of the same in terms of dialogue/charactrization options, gameplay more like 2 or at least more like Origins. ANYTHING but like Inquisition.

Also how about this - a nice, slow, build up of a prologue. You realize the last time a BioWare game had something like that was DA Origins? And it was a smurfing great! I loved the Dwarf Noble Origin which I just did for the first time.

But nooooo, everything has to blow up! The game has to start in the middle of chaos. Even though it would have done Inquisition a huge service to actually let us go around the enclave instead of starting with it blown up.

Pike
08-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Yeah the origin stories and slow buildup is something I miss. I never really cared about the Inquisition the way I cared about the Wardens or the Hawke family. I want a reason to care about whatever I'm saving.

I never really look forward to Inquisition the way I look forward to playing the other two games. It's just something I have to do to complete a full Dragon Age run.

Pumpkin
08-11-2016, 07:18 PM
I STILL DUN HAVE IZABELA OR WHATEVER HER NAME IS DID I LOSE THE GAME

Pike
08-11-2016, 08:22 PM
I forget how to find her but I'm replaying the game right now so I'll report back

She leaves you anyway unless you a.) get her approval up really high or b.) romance her. (I mean she leaves either way but she only comes back if you meet at least one of those two criteria)

Pumpkin
08-11-2016, 08:27 PM
:up:

Pike
08-11-2016, 08:52 PM
UPDATE: I found her just by walking into the Hanged Man. You do a quest for her and then I think she joins up.

Pumpkin
08-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Oh oki, thank you

Pumpkin
08-13-2016, 05:03 AM
Mkay so I got Isabella and have decided to romance her, although she doesn't like me much so far and got -5 friendship twice :/. I'm also finishing up Act 1 and almost starting Act 2 and AM TOLD I'M GOING TO LOSE BETHANY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER WHY SHE IS MY FAVOURITE

I'm legit super sad about this you guys :(

Pike
08-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Mkay so I got Isabella and have decided to romance her, although she doesn't like me much so far and got -5 friendship twice :/. I'm also finishing up Act 1 and almost starting Act 2 and AM TOLD I'M GOING TO LOSE BETHANY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER WHY SHE IS MY FAVOURITE

I'm legit super sad about this you guys :(

You have a couple "ideal" ways to lose Bethany. One is to take both her and Anders with you when you go into the Deep Roads. She's going to get the Darkspawn taint but Anders knows how to take her to Wardens and she'll become a Grey Warden. Then she'll come back at the very end of the game, at least! You can also leave her behind and she'll still leave the party until the very end. In that case she becomes a Circle mage instead of a Warden.

Whatever you do, do NOT bring her into the Deep Roads without Anders. Or she will die. :(

Formalhaut
08-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the secret I was keeping is out. Your sibling companion is guaranteed to leave at the end of Act 1. They remain gone until the end of Act 3, though that is not guaranteed, depending on what happens during the expedition.

No matter where you are in the story, starting the 'Legacy' DLC involves your sibling. In the 'Mark of the Assassin' DLC, you can also choose your sibling as well, no matter where in the story.

As for Isabela: getting her approval is generally more difficult because she has no strong opinion on the Mage/Templar debate, though she probably leans towards mages, as she believes in freedom. She's also a mite tricky because she's pretty much the only companion who sometimes disapproves if you go out of your way to help people. She's probably the most difficult member to befriend.

Forsaken Lover
08-13-2016, 03:37 PM
I always want to bring Isabela along just for "someone needs a good spanking!"

Pike
08-13-2016, 05:23 PM
I've been really focusing on Isabela on my current playthrough and I'm doing better with her approval than I ever have before. I'm not even out of act one yet and I'm already almost 50% friendship with her.

She is still probably the most difficult of all of them I think. She likes when you bribe/trick people. Good thing my Purple Hawke loves doing that.

Pumpkin
08-13-2016, 10:20 PM
I'm at Act 2 now and I need help deciding on my main party. I had three ideas:

1. Isabela, Merrill, and Aveline

2. Isabela, Merill, and Fenris

3. Isabela, Anders, and Aveline

Pike
08-14-2016, 10:13 AM
What difficulty are you playing on? If it was me I'd go #3 for best Healer/Tank combo but on easy difficulty you could probably brute force your way through the game pretty easily without either.

Honestly DA2 is the game where I mix up the party the most. With DAO/DAI I usually had a set party that I used at all times but with DA2 I mixed it up a lot more.

Pumpkin
08-14-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm on easy, yeah

Spuuky
08-14-2016, 09:41 PM
I personally recommend using Varric if you're going to play DA:I soon after, it kind of makes you feel more connected to him in the third game in my estimation.

FFNut
08-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Varric was great if set up properly in the 2nd game. Could have class combo crowd control from the back of the fight. He was great.

Pike
08-15-2016, 03:06 PM
I love Varric. I love his friendship with Hawke. My favorite party setup in DA2 is me, Aveline, Anders and Varric

Pike
08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I love my current Hawke. She's the ultimate asshole and I love her. Here she is being an asshole at this fancy Orlesian party

Pumpkin
09-02-2016, 05:53 PM
The mission where Aveline is trying to confess to one of the other guards is probably the best quest I've done in a DA game so far

Pike
09-02-2016, 06:34 PM
The mission where Aveline is trying to confess to one of the other guards is probably the best quest I've done in a DA game so far

"So... real nice night for an evening."

Formalhaut
09-02-2016, 07:02 PM

"So... real nice night for an evening."

Probably my favourite companion quest in the game. bring Isabela along for the entire mission to get some utterly hilarious banter between her and Aveline. Seriously, it's the best.

FFNut
09-02-2016, 07:29 PM
I loved that quest too. Wasn't a fan of Aveline, but I am a fan of Isabella and those two together we're always a fun time.

Pumpkin
09-02-2016, 07:37 PM
I did indeed have Isabella with me. Poor Aveline, it was just painful. I like her though, much more than I was expecting to.

Formalhaut
09-02-2016, 09:30 PM
I did indeed have Isabella with me. Poor Aveline, it was just painful. I like her though, much more than I was expecting to.

Aveline is definitely more human and less 'rigid' than her initial characterisation implies her to be. Honestly Aveline is a character who just gets better over time, especially when she becomes guard captain.

On the subject of 'over time', has your opinions of Varric changed at all? Now that you're pretty well into Act II, I wonder how you find him because I mentioned you didn't warm to him at first?

FFNut
09-02-2016, 09:41 PM
I never loved Varric until the first time I played. I warmed up to him after I learned how to talk to him, and how to control his actions better. He is now a main stay in all my parties.

Pumpkin
09-02-2016, 10:08 PM
I don't dislike him like before, but I'm still pretty neutral towards him.

Sharky likes him though

FFNut
09-02-2016, 10:33 PM
I was going to say when I started to really like him, but didn't want to give away spoilers. On my second replay noticed a few other things with him too which made me like him more. Plus him and merle and a great team together.

Pike
09-03-2016, 10:16 AM
I love Varric so much, my love for him just grows more and more the more I play the games. He's like, the Ultimate Bro Friend.

Pumpkin
09-07-2016, 10:12 PM
I am at Act 3 now which I think means I'm nearing the end

FFNut
09-07-2016, 10:32 PM
How did you fair against the Aroshock? He is one of the tougher bosses in this game. (Number 2 you are playing right?)

Pumpkin
09-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Yep! I did pretty well, it wasn't super hard but a bit difficult. I am playing on easy though so that's probably why :lol:

Formalhaut
09-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Nutty makes a good question, how was the Arishok? You didn't go warrior, so that's good. Close-combat is the worst with him. believe you me. I went 2-handed the first time and that fight, even on Casual, took forever.

With a bow or staff though, you can pretty much just kite him and throw attacks at him. Using Dog helps serve as a distraction.

With Act 3, yeah you're in the last third or even quarter of the game, as it is probably the shortest act in the game. It can be made longer if you saved up the 'Legacy' and 'Mark of the Assassin' DLCs for this act. I forget if you have the DLCs or not. If you don't, I do recommend them, but if you can only afford one, definitely prioritise 'Legacy' as it'll help build a good tie-in to Inquisition when you get round to that.

How was Act 2? The story really picks up and the majority of character development happens in Act 2. Act 3 almost sort of acts as a conclusion to your companion's individual struggles. You'll notice as you go along there aren't as many side-quests than in the other two acts. Then again for that matter there aren't really that many main quests either!

Oh, tip for you: when the letter titled 'The Last Straw' is sent to you, do not mark it as read until you have finished all other business, or at least until you've finished all business in the Gallows. Heading to the Gallows when that quest has been marked as read in your letters locks you in to the end of the game, so careful with that.

FFNut
09-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Ya the Arishok as a Mage was tough. Act three like Formy said just ties up the loose ends. And follow his advise with the DLC if you can do just one.

Formalhaut
09-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Ya the Arishok as a Mage was tough. Act three like Formy said just ties up the loose ends. And follow his advise with the DLC if you can do just one.

As a mage? It's probably the easiest as a Mage, though you do have less health. The Arishok has very low magic defence compared to his high armour, and is vulnerable to cold and the slowing effect of that. Like I said, warrior is probably the toughest class. His attacks really hurt and you have to draw in close to do damage yourself.

FFNut
09-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Mage is definitely over powered in 2 if built correct yes. Glass Connor of sorts. I built a Force Mage who had elemental attacks. It was almost broken how easy the game gets with that combo.

Vyk
09-07-2016, 11:46 PM
I beat him with a rogue dual wielding daggers. It did indeed take forever, I had to run many figure-eights around the pillars to damage him without getting my head knocked into next tuesday...

Pike
09-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Arishok is such a pain ahaha, I've beaten him three times and every single time I just spend the fight screaming. Easiest is to be a mage and freeze him and fling spells at him (and then run around frantically when he's not frozen) while you have Barkspawn (the dog) nipping at his heels.

God Maker I'm ready for Pumpkin's reaction to the end of the game. I still support the mages #I'mWithHim #MageRights

edit: I have the perfect comic for this but it's a huge spoiler so I'll wait

Scotty_ffgamer
09-08-2016, 05:29 AM
I just beat the arishok myself with a duel welding rogue. It was pretty tough, but doable. I enjoyed dragon age 2 more than I thought I would.