PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Superhero Movie.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-18-2015, 07:07 PM
What's the worst superhero movie, you could think of? For me, it's a three-way tie between Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, 1997's Batman & Robin and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3. (By the way, I'm not gonna make this a pole because there's simply TOO MANY bad superhero movies out there, for me to keep track of.)

Ayen
07-18-2015, 07:29 PM
The old Captain America movie comes to mind. Followed by the 1984 Supergirl movie, and then Batman & Robin.

Slothy
07-18-2015, 07:52 PM
The old Captain America movie comes to mind. Followed by the 1984 Supergirl movie, and then Batman & Robin.

I was just going to say Captain America and sit back and see how long it took people to figure out what I meant. Thanks for ruining my fun before it began. :colbert:

charliepanayi
07-18-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't know, I think the current Captain America movies could be improved with some scenes where Chris Evans pretends he's going to be sick and then steals people's cars.

I'd say Batman and Robin here. It features a Bat credit card.

Ayen
07-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I need this car in the name of America!

G13
07-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Bat nipples,
Mr. Mom,
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Batman is my favorite hero but there are some things I just can't forgive.

Worst movie for me though, I'd say Green Lantern. What a mess.

blackmage_nuke
07-19-2015, 12:26 AM
Of the ones I've seen Green lantern was the one I felt least satisfied with and couldnt forgive it as a limitation of the times

Pike
07-19-2015, 12:27 AM
In fairness, Mr. Freeze forcing everyone to sing "HE'S MISTER WHIIIITE CHRISTMAS, HE'S MISTER SNOW" was solid gold.

zxi0RWEx94Y

Slothy
07-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

I will not stand for any negativity towards Adam West and his portrayal of the Dark Knight.

Colonel Angus
07-19-2015, 01:29 AM
The pre-Tim Burton's Batman era superhero movies were all bad for the most part. They just didn't have the tech to do them right.

Of the modern era, I guess Clooney's Batman might've been the worst I've seen. I heard Catwoman was bad, but dinnae see it.

Slothy
07-19-2015, 03:24 AM
There was more wrong with Tim Burton's Batman films than just the tech to make them.

Hell, Batman blows up an entire building full of criminals in the first one and they never address that he's essentially committed mass murder.

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2015, 03:43 AM
Well he has killed villains in the book and his earliest incarnation used a gun as well before the post-Silver Age era DC finally set up a Myth Arc for the character. Besides, I'm cool with the different media's putting their own spin on heroes and Tim Burton needed to make the films darker than what people expected to get comic book films out of the animation ghetto so to speak.

X-Men 3: The Last Stand will always be the film that really hurt me as a fan. While the first two X-Men films were not close to what I wanted, they made the most of what could be done back then and I was just happy to have an X-Men movie but this film was just awful and I really wish X-Men writers would finally get over the Phoenix Saga. Wolverine: Origins and Batman and Robin are the other two really awful comic book movies I've seen.

Depression Moon
07-19-2015, 05:12 AM
Steel, Batman & Robin, The first Captain America, Catwoman. There are a lot of them.

Raistlin
07-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Batman & Robin was the most cartoonishly bad. It justifiably is popularly considered the very worst superhero movie ever made.

X-Men 3 was the biggest disappointment, though probably not the worst on any objective criteria. The first two movies were actually pretty good for superhero movies at that time, especially X-2, and the third was just a horrific mess of absolutely terrible writing. I agree with WK that it probably ranks at as the most hurtful movie for comic book fans.

Green Lantern was also bad, but there was no one on the planet who expected it to be good.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-19-2015, 05:24 AM
X-Men 3: The Last Stand will always be the film that really hurt me as a fan. While the first two X-Men films were not close to what I wanted, they made the most of what could be done back then and I was just happy to have an X-Men movie but this film was just awful and I really wish X-Men writers would finally get over the Phoenix Saga. Wolverine: Origins and Batman and Robin are the other two really awful comic book movies I've seen.

I made a mistake. If we're gonna talk about comic book superhero films that physically hurt us as fans then I have to talk about 2005's Fantastic Four movie starring Chris Evans as Johnny Storm. That movie physically hurt me. I don't know what I was expecting, going into that movie but I expected more and I expected better than what I got. Director, Tim Story's Fantastic Four is pure, unadulterated, crap. And it made me very skeptical of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot. But I will see the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot in theaters, because for the last two summers I saw a 20th Century Fox superhero movie in the theater. In 2013, it was The Wolverine and last year it was X-Men: Days of Future Past, if Fantastic Four (2015) is even as half as good as those movies then I'll be happy I went to the theater to see it.

Ayen
07-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Tim Burton's Batman was great :colbert:

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Tim Burton's Batman was great :colbert:

The 1989 "Batman" film was a mega-hit and therefore was something you could possibly be proud of, if great superhero box office really means that much to you. However, I don't see how anybody could possibly be proud of Batman Returns, I mean in comparison to the '89 film, the '89 film has more semblance of a story than Batman Returns ever did.:colbert:

Ayen
07-19-2015, 10:46 AM
It's been too long since I saw Return to really comment on its quality, but even then I'd hardly call it the worst when the aforementioned movies exist.

Mr. Carnelian
07-19-2015, 10:49 AM
If I'm being completely honest, there isn't a single superhero film I've seen that I haven't enjoyed on some level.

I even enjoyed the truly awful ones in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way. E.g. Elektra (does she even really count as a superhero? Doesn't have any powers that I can recall), Spiderman 3, (it was worth it just to see Toby Maguire hamming it up as dark-side Spiderman) and Batman and Robin.

Plus, is no-one even going to mention the Daredevil movie? That was BAD. Bad. Really, really bad. Bonus points if you read that last phrase to the tune of the Michael Jackson song.

charliepanayi
07-19-2015, 04:52 PM
I loved Batman Returns! Especially Christopher Walken in it.

Forsaken Lover
07-19-2015, 04:56 PM
I have never heard a single good thing about the one Superman movie... Not Man of Steel, I think it was the one before that. Was it called Superman Returns?

theundeadhero
07-19-2015, 06:10 PM
I enjoyed Superman Returns, so there :p

I've seen all the movies listed in this thread so far and none of them were as bad as both the Hulk movies that came out before The Avengers.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-19-2015, 06:14 PM
It's been too long since I saw Batman Returns to really comment on its quality, but even then I'd hardly call it the worst when the aforementioned movies exist.

I'm not saying that it's the worst of the worst, or anything like that, but I think Batman '89 tried to have at least some semblance of a story and Batman Returns did not. They don't even establish that Batman has been gone for years, until the red triangle circus gang shows up...Which would've made the title of the film 'Batman Returns' actually make sense and turn it into a returns story.

Slothy
07-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Superman Returns was a lot better than most people give it credit for. I wouldn't say it was perfect, but as a pseudo sequel to the Donner films it worked quite well.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-19-2015, 06:39 PM
I've seen all the movies listed in this thread so far and none of them were as bad as both the Hulk movies that came out before The Avengers.

Hey, I enjoyed The Incredible Hulk (2008) so there. :p

Ayen
07-19-2015, 06:39 PM

One of the few times the game based off the movie was better than the actual movie.

Superman Returns was a lot better than most people give it credit for. I wouldn't say it was perfect, but as a pseudo sequel to the Donner films it worked quite well.

This. Also, Kevin Spacey. That is all.

Forsaken Lover
07-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Hulk 2003 was a great movie. Amazing casting, much better than its successor.

I was also profoudnly meh about The Avengers movie but this isn't about overrated superhero films and it wasn't actually that bad. Just unremarkable.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Hulk 2003 was a great movie. Amazing casting, much better than its successor.

Let's just agree to disagree on that one. I couldn't even get through Ang Lee's Hulk on television, after it's theatrical run had ended, that's how boring it is to me. :colbert:

Sephex
07-20-2015, 07:17 AM
I rewatched Spawn a few months ago.

Uh...

Yep.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:12 AM
I rewatched Spawn a few months ago.

Uh...

Yep.

I had this exact same reaction. I remember it being awesome as all hell (lol puns) when I was a kid, but watching it again now? I swear the CGI were graphics from a PS1 game.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-20-2015, 06:23 PM
I saw Spawn on VHS around the time it came out back in 1997/1998 and I didn't like it then. I just didn't care for it. And it came out around the time that comic book superhero movies were the kiss of death.

Shorty
07-20-2015, 06:34 PM
I made a mistake. If we're gonna talk about comic book superhero films that physically hurt us as fans then I have to talk about 2005's Fantastic Four movie starring Chris Evans as Johnny Storm. That movie physically hurt me. I don't know what I was expecting, going into that movie but I expected more and I expected better than what I got. Director, Tim Story's Fantastic Four is pure, unadulterated, crap. And it made me very skeptical of Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot. But I will see the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot in theaters, because for the last two summers I saw a 20th Century Fox superhero movie in the theater. In 2013, it was The Wolverine and last year it was X-Men: Days of Future Past, if Fantastic Four (2015) is even as half as good as those movies then I'll be happy I went to the theater to see it.

This so much. I had forgotten that Fantastic Four film existed because it was terrible. So terrible.

Michael Keaton's Batman, though. What a smurfing awful mess.

The Hulk with Edward Norton.

Spider-Man 3 was also pretty bad.

But nothing beats Halle Berry's Catwoman. Nothing.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
I made a mistake. If we're gonna talk about comic book superhero films that physically hurt us as fans then I have to talk about 2005's Fantastic Four movie starring Chris Evans as Johnny Storm. That movie physically hurt me.

The only thing which I can clearly remember about that film is Chris Evans sitting shirtless in a pool of hot water (which he just created by accidentally activating his flame powers whilst skiing).

So, needless to say, I remember the film quite fondly.

But nothing beats Halle Berry's Catwoman. Nothing.

Oh, I don't know. I thought that the film's satirical critique of the cosmetics industry was quite witty. :monocle:

G13
07-20-2015, 07:20 PM
What's this Catwoman I keep hearing about? Pretty sure that's not an actual movie guys.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-20-2015, 09:02 PM

This so much. I had forgotten that Fantastic Four film existed because it was terrible. So terrible.

Well, I'm glad someone shares my pain, when it comes to Tim Story's Fantastic Four.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Pretty sure the hate on the Fantastic Four movie is universal.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 09:08 PM

I don't hate it!

Nothing which has a shirtless Chris Evans in it can be TRULY bad. :p

Ayen
07-20-2015, 09:09 PM

I don't hate it!

Nothing which has a shirtless Chris Evans in it can be TRULY bad.

Are you the universe? :colbert:

Are you!? :stare:

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 09:15 PM

I don't hate it!

Universal would mean that everyone hates it.

I don't hate it, therefore not everyone hates it. Therefore, the hatred is NOT universal.

I may not be the universe (or am I? :mwahaha:), but I'm part of everyone, damn it! :spin:

Ayen
07-20-2015, 09:18 PM

I don't hate it!

Universal would mean that everyone hates it.

I don't hate it, therefore not everyone hates it. Therefore, the hatred is NOT universal.

I may not be the universe (or am I? :mwahaha:), but I'm part of everyone, damn it! :spin:

Damn, how can I compete with this kind of logic? Oh, I know.

-activates trapdoor-

-misses by two feet-

Can you move a little to the right?

sharkythesharkdogg
07-20-2015, 09:27 PM
I don't know if it's the worst, but since they haven't been mentioned yet, both Ghost Riders are pretty up there.

They aren't super heroes, but the new Transformer movies are garbage.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-20-2015, 09:32 PM

I don't hate it!

Well, I'm a heterosexual male, and I don't care about Chris Evans being shirtless. Maybe if Jessica 'no nudity clause' Alba was naked in a rated-R superhero movie, then maybe I'd care. But she isn't, and therefore I don't care.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 09:35 PM

Well, I'm a heterosexual male, and I don't care about Chris Evans being shirtless. Maybe if Jessica 'no nudity clause' Alba was naked in a rated-R superhero movie, then maybe I'd care. But she isn't, and therefore I don't care.

Fair enough!

Superhero films do tend to have quite a lot of male shirtlessness, but not a lot of female shirtlessness. That doesn't really seem fair. Everyone should be allowed to have some shirtless superhero eyecandy.

Getting back on-topic, how about 2008's The Spirit? That was a BAD superhero film. So bad, even I had a hard time getting any enjoyment out of it.

Were it not for Gabriel Macht looking all handsome all the way through (yes, I AM that shallow a film-watcher), I probably wouldn't even have sat through the whole thing.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 09:40 PM
How about The Spirit? That was a BAD superhero film. So bad, even I had a hard time getting any enjoyment out of it.

Were it not for Gabriel Macht looking all handsome all the way through (yes, I am that shallow a film-watcher), I probably wouldn't even have sat through the whole thing.

I never saw that movie. It even looked terrible in the trailers.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 09:47 PM
How about The Spirit? That was a BAD superhero film. So bad, even I had a hard time getting any enjoyment out of it.

I never saw that movie. It even looked terrible in the trailers.

I saw it on TV in 2010 or 2011. I don't really remember what the trailers were like.

You're better off not having seen it. It's BAD.

So bad, that I actually rank it as worse than Daredevil.

charliepanayi
07-20-2015, 09:48 PM

I don't hate it!

You do realise shirtless =/= naked? And you don't exactly have to go far to see women in skimpy clothing in movies.

Strider
07-20-2015, 11:39 PM
I tend to be more forgiving than most, but the first Fantastic Four movie suuuuuuuuucks. It's made me tentative about the new one.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 11:46 PM
I tend to be more forgiving than most, but the first Fantastic Four movie suuuuuuuuucks. It's made me tentative about the new one.

Marvel have consistently turned out films which range from decent to very good over the last few years, so there's every chance that the new Fantastic Four will be a good film.

EDIT: however, I have now been informed that Marvel have no involvement in the upcoming film. Sorry!

Slothy
07-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Except Marvel has nothing to do with the new movie and the trailers look pretty bad.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Except Marvel has nothing to do with the new movie and the trailers look pretty bad.

I wasn't aware of that. My mistake!

I've only seen one trailer, and it looked pretty standard.

charliepanayi
07-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Michael B Jordan and Miles Teller deserve better than this new Fantastic Four movie :(

Ayen
07-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Fox is just sticking it to Marvel at this point.

At least The Thing looks better than he did in the last one.

Slothy
07-21-2015, 12:14 PM

Actually, given Marvel cancelled the Fantastic Four comic for the time being and killed the movies actors in a comic I'd say it's the other way around. Marvel really doesn't seem to like them having Fantastic Four movie rights.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Actually, given Marvel cancelled the Fantastic Four comic for the time being and killed the movies actors in a comic I'd say it's the other way around. Marvel really doesn't seem to like them having Fantastic Four movie rights.

I'd say they shouldn't have sold them in the first place, but I guess they really couldn't have predicted just how terrible the movies would be.

But damn, cancelling Fantastic Four? I'll be surprise if this movie isn't boycotted to hell.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 01:02 PM

EDIT: however, I have now been informed that Marvel have no involvement in the upcoming film. Sorry!

To be honest, what with movie rights and legal dealings between companies, it gets mighty confusing.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2015, 01:09 PM
I understand they're feeling pissy about it, but DC and Marvel are infamous for licensing their characters to some of the shittiest tie in products I've ever seen.

It's not like they haven't been down this road before.

I know it's not DC or Marvel, but it's still probably my favorite bad licensing idea. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFP1KQpxqFQ)

Pike
07-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Oh right I had blocked Catwoman from my mind.

That one is actually probably the worst. Worse than Batman & Robin.

Edit: Wait, does Howard the Duck count?

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Oh right I had blocked Catwoman from my mind.

That one is actually probably the worst. Worse than Batman & Robin.

If Howard the Duck does count, then it's up there with the worst.

I think Catwoman can actually be read in quite an interesting way. I read it as a critique of male-dominated notions of female desirability, and a satire on the cosmetics industry.

As a superhero film, however, it is rather bad.

Shorty
07-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I don't think it was satire.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 03:00 PM

It does, but as part of a Marvel/DC agreement we're not allowed to talk about Howard the Duck or Steel.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 03:01 PM

Correction: it wasn't INTENDED as a satire.

But, you can read it as one.

Bubba
07-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Agreed. It was a far better film than the godawful Man of Steel

Also, Howard the Duck is the greatest superhero movie of all time :colbert:

Slothy
07-21-2015, 03:21 PM
I forgot about Steel...

Excuse me while I go load my 9mm memory eraser.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 03:22 PM

Oh, yeah, totally. :spin: No disagreement here.

:screwy:

Bubba
07-21-2015, 03:24 PM
HE WAS A NEW BREED OF HERO

Ayen
07-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Does Transformers count? Transformers is Marvel isn't it?

Spider-Man: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 03:32 PM
If the Transformers films count as superhero movies, then I'm changing my answer.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the WORST film I have ever seen. I was SO bored.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Mr. Carny, can we go see Howard the Duck? I really want to see how bad it is.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 03:33 PM

You don't. You really don't.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 03:39 PM
If the Transformers films count as superhero movies, then I'm changing my answer.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was the WORST film I have ever seen. I was SO bored.

Shame people keep giving those movies their money and Michael Bay is pretty much set for life now.

But that's a topic for a different day.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 03:39 PM

You know that telling someone not to see something kinda wants them to see it even more?

Ayen
07-21-2015, 03:41 PM

You know that telling someone not to see something kinda wants them to see it even more?

Go see the movie, Formalhaut. It's really good. Best movie ever.

Now he'll think it's an overrated piece of junk and won't like it :smug:

Shauna
07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
There is nothing better than a night of bad movies. Do it.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
2 out of 2 EoFF members agree, watching Howard the Duck is an exhilarating movie experience!

"Howard the Duck is the best movie ever!" - Ayen

"Because I had nothing better to do on a Saturday evening." - Shauna

Coming soon to a screen near you Mr. Carny!

Ayen
07-21-2015, 04:00 PM

Great, now I'm gonna have to change my name again.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Great, now I'm gonna have to change my name again.

Are Ayen's critic credentials about to be in tatters?

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm shocked no one cares about the Ninja Turtles riding the L.A. transit system and fighting off Gridlock.

Probably they're most nefarious villain.

Also, since it seems to be gaining some traction, I'll reiterate that the Transformers movies were terrible.

This is the only Transformers movie that matters. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers:_The_Movie)

theundeadhero
07-21-2015, 06:16 PM
The Transformer movies had so much potential to be bad that I didn't even take the time to watch them. They're that bad.

Rocket Edge
07-21-2015, 06:45 PM
I must be in the vast minority who liked Batman and Robin, more-so for it's comic value than anything else. I can't think of any I dislike to be honest. Green Lanturn was fairly forgettable. If I had to choose, probably that.

Shorty
07-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Does Howard the Duck actually count as a superhero film? I don't think people think Howard the Duck! when considering superhero movies.

In and of itself, though, Howard the Duck is the actual worst movie ever made.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Does Howard the Duck actually count as a superhero film? I don't think people think Howard the Duck! when considering superhero movies.

In and of itself, though, Howard the Duck is the actual worst movie ever made.

Nah, it's just a Marvel property and that's it, really.

Big D
07-21-2015, 10:58 PM
I haven't watched a lot of the infamously terrible superhero movies, e.g. Schumacher's Batman flicks or Daredevil, the kind that are reviled as the worst of the worst.

I did see Halle Berry's Catwoman, though, and was disappointed. I was expecting something hilariously bad, the kind of awful cinema that provides an endless cavalcade of delight with its sheer awfulness. Instead, though, it was simply a bad film - dull, cheesy, predictable and silly. It wasn't as terrible as I'd anticipated, which paradoxically meant I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Shorty
07-21-2015, 11:09 PM

Correction: it wasn't INTENDED as a satire.

But, you can read it as one.

Well, no xD Intention of satire makes things funny. Ignorance just makes them sad and terrible.

You seemed a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Well, no xD Intention of satire makes things funny. Ignorance just makes them sad and terrible.

I meant satire in a specific, literary sense, which doesn't necessarily imply humour.

It was a satire of the cosmetics industry in that it used an exaggerated image of what the cosmetic industry does to women, in order to point out the flaws of said industry.

Shorty
07-21-2015, 11:19 PM

I meant satire in specific, literary sense, which doesn't necessarily imply humour.

It was a satire of the cosmetics industry in that it used an exaggerated image of what the cosmetic industry does to women, in order to point out the flaws of said industry.

I still disagree with you, friend xD

Raistlin
07-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Well if Shorty doesn't like it, Howard the Duck must be worth watching.

I know it's not DC or Marvel, but it's still probably my favorite bad licensing idea. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFP1KQpxqFQ)

I think the planning session where that awful commercial-episode was cooked up would probably be as entertaining as the actual episode.

Shorty
07-21-2015, 11:21 PM

You're only hurting yourself with this horrible, flawed mentality, Wesley. (http://screencrush.com/awkward-movie-sex-howard-the-duck/)

Ayen
07-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Watch the Nostalgia Critic review of it instead.

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Oooh, rivalry. :spin:

Raistlin
07-21-2015, 11:32 PM

You're only hurting yourself with this horrible, flawed mentality, Wesley. (http://screencrush.com/awkward-movie-sex-howard-the-duck/)

"Howard, you really are the worst." I didn't realize you wrote the script for this movie. No wonder you're embarrassed by it.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 11:36 PM

"Howard, you really are the worst." I didn't realize you wrote the script for this movie. No wonder you're embarrassed by it.

DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Shorty
07-21-2015, 11:36 PM

I'm embarrassed by nothing! :aimmad: It's a terrible movie!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-27-2015, 08:21 AM
I wonder if anybody's embarrassed by Ghost Rider 1 & 2? :D

Edit:

By the way, do you guys wanna add the new Fantastic Four movie to the list of the worst of the worst superhero films?