PDA

View Full Version : Popular Games the Internet Hates that you happen to Love.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Remember those times you bought a super popular game, news sites remarked how it was the best things since sliced bread, and it sold millions of copies? So you jump online to your favorite gaming forum to chat up this new awesome game only to discover that you find that is seems like the internet just hates this game?

Fynn
07-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter comes to mind.

FFXII was this until the Internet took a chill pill and saw this game for the awesomeness that it was.

In general, I go against the Internet consensus that JRPGS are bad, turn-based combat is bad and random encounters are bad.there's a place for everything, people. We really don't need all games to become the same thing.

Skyblade
07-20-2015, 05:59 AM
FFXII was this until the Internet took a chill pill and saw this game for the awesomeness that it was.

No, we just got tired of complaining about it and moved on to something more worthy of our time.

In general, I go against the Internet consensus that JRPGS are bad, turn-based combat is bad and random encounters are bad.there's a place for everything, people. We really don't need all games to become the same thing.

And yet you like FFXII.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Because there's room for different things. FFXII does things differently from other FFs and though it doesn't have random encounters, I still think it's a fantastic game. Heck, it's those unique aspects that I love most about it.

Just because I like one aspect doesn't mean I hate the opposite. I like both random encounters and monsters walking about, both turn-based and action-based.

And what about you, Sky? What games hated by the Internet so you like?

Skyblade
07-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Because there's room for different things. FFXII does things differently from other FFs and though it doesn't have random encounters, I still think it's a fantastic game. Heck, it's those unique aspects that I love most about it.

Just because I like one aspect doesn't mean I hate the opposite. I like both random encounters and monsters walking about, both turn-based and action-based.

And what about you, Sky? What games hated by the Internet so you like?

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 06:28 AM
Chrono Cross

Shut the smurf up about Chrono Cross and how it kicked your dog then ran over your dog then baked your dog in a pie and forcefed the Roadkill Dog Pie to you.

Chrono Cross is a great game.

Metal Gear Solid 2

It's chilled out in more recent years but for a straight decade or so I had to defend this game everywhere I went. It was "that abomination" between two classics. It got so bad that, when MGS4 came out, I read several posts saying it "fixed" MGS2. I literally lost my trout at those people and flamed them to high heaven.

Vermachtnis
07-20-2015, 07:13 AM
I have a few: Final Fantasy XIII, Tales of Legendia, Phantasy Star III. There's a couple that really stick out though. One of is Growlanser: Heritage of War. One of the first things I heard about it was that it was garbage. And theres

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter comes to mind.

No way, I thought I was the only one who like Dragon Quarter.

I was actually thinking this the other day. I think Final Fantasy XIII took the blunt of it.

Pike
07-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Skyrim (most gaming circles I've been in don't like it)
World of Warcraft

Can't really think of anything else atm

Ayen
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Fallout 3 and Final Fantasy VIII. Was a bit taken off guard by the latter.

Metal Gear Solid 2

It's chilled out in more recent years but for a straight decade or so I had to defend this game everywhere I went. It was "that abomination" between two classics. It got so bad that, when MGS4 came out, I read several posts saying it "fixed" MGS2. I literally lost my trout at those people and flamed them to high heaven.

If by fixed they mean lazy writing then yeah, they fixed it.

Del Murder
07-20-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't pay attention to the internet enough to know what it hates, but I do get a overall negative sense around Dragon Age II which I found quite enjoyable (though not as grand as the first game).

Colonel Angus
07-21-2015, 12:11 AM
FFXII
Super Mario Bros. 2 (both versions)
Secret of Evermore
Chrono Cross

Mr. Carnelian
07-21-2015, 12:35 AM
Dragon Age 2. Alright, so there's a problem with re-using of environments. But, that's more than made up for by strong characters and an interesting story.

Fable 3. It had a hard act to follow, get off it's case!

Mass Effect 3. I LIKED the ending. So there. :tongue:

Those are the first ones that sprung to mind. :spin:

Mirage
07-21-2015, 12:51 AM
I probably like MGS2 more than the internet does. By internet i do of course mean the 100 most vocal MGS fans on the internet.

Forsaken Lover
07-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Fable III was a pretty fun game. It had less customization and the like than II but I liked the story the most of the trilogy.

Walter... :(

Sephex
07-21-2015, 03:23 AM
MGS2:

Yeah, most of the Jack and Rose conversations were lame, but they don't take up most of the codec conversations like most people make it out to be. The game itself has brilliant level design and Raiden is actually a cool character. Pretty sad that most people only accepted him once he became a brooding future ninja (though I do like that aspect on him too). Anyway, I appreciate the sheer balls it took for Kojima to make Snake a NPC for most of the game.

More people are accepting of this game now, but my favorite part is how people say the Dead Cell (as compared against MGS1 Foxhound) was over the top or whatever. Oh a floating psychic and a stereotype with a big gun are perfectly normal, but a fat man on roller blades? WELL THE SERIES IS JUST SILLY NOW!! Give me a break.

Zelda Windwaker:

Oh now you'll see people claiming that this is one of the best Zelda games, but where were ya'll at in 2003? Before the game came out people automatically wrote it off because *gasp* a whimsical fantasy game that looked like a cartoon in the first place LOOKED LIKE A CARTOON! Oh man, they changed something in a Zelda game let's all freak out and then bitch about what hasn't changed in the series!!

And the sailing wasn't that bad. It just had the right amount of perspective to make it feel like a long haul trip. Exploring around for fun (hint: try to NOT just mindlessly go from one main objective to another) offered actual freedom. I will concede that the Wii U version of the Windwaker fixed some cumbersome aspects of the controls. Also, the faster sail was pretty sweet with its ability to have the wind at your back no matter what direction you face. But these same people who carry on about how Ocarina of Time was the greatest one never acknowledge how BORING Hyrule Field is.

Anyway, the Triforce piece quest at the end was stupid (another thing the Wii U version made easier to swallow), but I also get irritated when people complain about the lack of dungeons. While I know the lack of them is due to the team running out of time, I'd venture to say that it makes sense in a world that literally got drowned by an ocean for the most part. And again, the sheer exploration made up for it.

Chrono Cross:

Screw you. Screw you for hating on all the fun characters you can acquire. Screw you for not realizing that they didn't screw over the cast of Chrono Trigger just to be mean, but to show very creative and "realistic" consequences of time travel! Screw you for not getting into a fun, antigrinding battle system that doesn't rely on random encounters. You can even run away from bosses if you feel the battle isn't going your way and regroup to try a different strategy instead of letting the game kill you and sitting through a bunch of screens before you can try again! Though most people who didn't like the game concede that the game's soundtrack is one of the best out there, screw you anyway for not liking the game. Yeah, it's not as accessible or as magical as Chrono Trigger, but we already have Chrono Trigger. Making literally "Chrono Trigger 2" would have been far worse and a huge insult on the series.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Mario Bros. 2 (both versions)

How could I forget SMB2? Love this game and the haters can GTFO :cool:

Pike
07-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Wait, who doesn't like Super Mario Bros 2?

Ayen
07-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Wait, who doesn't like Super Mario Bros 2?

There's a group out there that trouts on it because it wasn't originally a Mario game and was too different from the others. Cite Mario 3 as the sequel that should have been Mario 2.

Personally, the differences is why I love Mario 2. It might not have been intended as a Mario game at first, but Mario adapts to it pretty well and it's a good thing it was made because the real Mario 2 was too much like the first one.

Del Murder
07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Anyone who thinks bashing SMB2 on the internet is a good use of their time has my pity for the sorry state their life is in.

Spuuky
07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Well yeah, because SMB2 is a great game.

If Skyrim counts, sure, I liked Skyrim. I wouldn't say I "love" it, but it's certainly way better than Oblivion. There are a bunch of games the Internet hates that I love, but they typically aren't "popular."