PDA

View Full Version : Internet darlings that you hate.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2015, 04:47 AM
You know the ones, the cult hit title that sold less than 5000 copies but it seems like you always know one person who played it and swears it's the greatest thing of all time. It's always ranked in the Top Ten "Greatest Games No One Played" and even notorious troll gaming sites act like it's perfection incarnate. So not wanting to be one of those squares who only plays the mainstream stuff, you track down a copy to play by some means, check it out, and find out that in your mind there is a very good reason why this game didn't sell and the internet has verified again that it is crazy.

Fynn
07-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Don't know if it really counts since 1) I'm not sure how "niche" it is and 2) I don't really hate it, it's just that I'm a big frustrated by it and don't get the hype. The Ace Attorney series bugs me. Yes, I guess I like them, they're interesting enough and the trials can be fun, but there's few characters that I actually found interesting, everything besides trials is insanely boring, while the trials themselves are either so obvious I could tell how the case would end three sub-chapters earlier, or the˙ require such moon logic to solve that I don't know how Id do that without a walkthrough.

And OMG, the puns. Why.

There's also Breath of Fire III that I never got why people loved so much, especially over IV. IV was colorful with a rich story and complete character arcs, III looked bland and its story felt very rushed, to the point that I felt it fell apart near the end.

And yeah, Super Mario RPG was good, but I don't get why the Internet reveres it so much. There have been better Mario RPGs since.

Vermachtnis
07-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Does Sonic Adventure 2 count? I mean, it's Sonic so it's pretty far from a niche title. But boy does the internet love it. And boy do I not. Specifically Knuckles' levels. Especially the music. Everyone prattles on about how good the music is and how Knuckles has the best music, but he doesn't.

Psychotic
07-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Braid and Okami (sorry Shauna)

Shauna
07-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I can totally see why people wouldn't like Okami. I just loved the aesthetic and the story, and I could tolerate the gameplay due to that (admittedly, I was playing on the Wii so that was a significantly larger negative than it may otherwise have been).

Pike
07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I can't really think of any. There are very few games that I outright hate and the ones I can think of wouldn't really qualify for this thread.

Del Murder
07-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Persona series. Dating sims and dungeon crawlers are not my favorite things to do in games and this series seems to focus mostly on those.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Is the Lion King game niche?

FFNut
07-20-2015, 08:31 PM
I hate the Mass Effect games. Can't stand them. Bought two in tots and ended up giving them away. Just wasn't a fan.

Mr. Carnelian
07-20-2015, 09:11 PM
And OMG, the puns. Why.

But the puns are the best bit! :spin:

Fynn
07-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Nobody. Likes. Puns.

Also, Del just hurt me on a personal level :G

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Saying I hated it would be an exaggeration but I have never gotten the absolute slavish love people have for Metal Gear Solid 3. It didn't help that almost all praise for the game used to be packaged with hate for MGS2 ie. "this game is so much better than MGS2!" "It's a good thing MGS3 saved the franchise after MGS2 ruined it" etc.. MGS3 is a fun game and even an interesting and emotional game at points. But the best thing ever? Not even close.

While we're on that topic, Metal Gear Rising. Especially the music. God the music is overrated.

Devil May Cry 3. Dante is the worst, most intolerable character ever written.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Nobody. Likes. Puns.

Don't let Sephex hear you say that.

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Don't know if it really counts since 1) I'm not sure how "niche" it is and 2) I don't really hate it, it's just that I'm a big frustrated by it and don't get the hype. The Ace Attorney series bugs me. Yes, I guess I like them, they're interesting enough and the trials can be fun, but there's few characters that I actually found interesting, everything besides trials is insanely boring, while the trials themselves are either so obvious I could tell how the case would end three sub-chapters earlier, or the˙ require such moon logic to solve that I don't know how Id do that without a walkthrough.

http://i.imgur.com/esj9Lx9.png
http://i.imgur.com/SlqWWbF.gif

And OMG, the puns. Why.

http://i.imgur.com/HgUC3qE.gif

Colonel Angus
07-21-2015, 12:06 AM
I had the Sims on the Gamecube & never really got it.

Fynn
07-21-2015, 05:50 AM

The console Sims games were always pretty weak.

Oh, also, I don't really care for FFIII and I really don't like FFX :D

Sephex
07-21-2015, 06:02 AM
Nobody. Likes. Puns.

Don't let Sephex hear you say that.

Looks like I have to bust out the Polish remover.

NO WAIT I'M POLISH TOO AH CRAP I'M FAD--

(USER HAS BEEN BANNED FROM EXISTENCE)

Fynn
07-21-2015, 06:08 AM
Wait, I'm still around.

What does that mean? :O

Wolf Kanno
07-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Wait, I'm still around.

What does that mean? :O

You're Austrian?

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65336&stc=1

Fynn
07-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Das ist unglaublich.

Sephex
07-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Das ist unglaublich.

For the last time I don't want a sandwich.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 10:35 AM

It was a good alternative for people who didn't have PCs to play the other games on.

Like me :stare:

Levian
07-21-2015, 04:43 PM
the sims is one of the best selling video games of all time, though.

Anyway, Flower and world of goo. I tried but I couldn't.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Pretty much any first person shooter. I've just never liked them much. Mass Effect passes because it's an action RPG, but Call of Battlefield 4 doesn't really interest me. They're very popular though.

Ayen
07-21-2015, 05:17 PM
I get the feeling people missed this bit:

You know the ones, the cult hit title that sold less than 5000 copies but it seems like you always know one person who played it and swears it's the greatest thing of all time.

Formalhaut
07-21-2015, 05:19 PM
Oh. Yeah. Whoops.

In that case... I don't think I know many cult hits.

Spuuky
07-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I never really liked Baldur's Gate, although maybe it's too popular to count.