PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Punch Edgeworth in the Face

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Pe6oo84.gif

It's even more annoying than the von Karma finger wag.

I never did beat any of the games besides the first one. I played some of the second one but got stuck looking for clues in the case where they think Maya killed the dude. Let me guess, it was the hippie chick who did it, right?

But I did play through the first one and goddam it was amazing. Totally lived up to the hype.

There is nothing more satisfying than breaking the villains and making them confess or whatever. You back them into a corner and then they dig their own grave.

But you know who gets a bad rap? Manfred von Karma. He didn't mean to kill Edgeworth's dad.

Also why did Phoenix have to participate in a case mere moments after receiving possibly lethal head trauma and most certainly a concussion? God the legal system is insane. Yet I love the Judge anyway.

Ayen
07-20-2015, 10:12 PM
No. It was the Professor in the kitchen with a knife! Wait, wrong game.

The second one isn't that well liked from what I find, even though I loved it. Though most tend to agree the last case in 2 was the best. I love the first one and need to get my hands on the third some time when I have the money for it.

Karifean
07-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I really like the gestures in this game, gotta say. It's a nice touch that they just never change, even into Investigations and Dual Destinies. It even got parodied in Haruhi which got a good chuckle out of me.

Nothing is more frustrating than getting stuck in an investigation phase. I usually like them, at least as long as it's not the third case of the game (for some reason the padding is horrendous in all of those), and the Psyche Locks did well to provide you with short-term goals to work towards, but sometimes you just forget to present a certain profile or piece of evidence to someone, or forget to examine a particular thing in the room, and spend freaking forever trying to figure out how to progress. My favorite part is when Edgy gives you a report about a past case and you literally need to present that very report right back at him so he gives you the 'second part' of it. smurf you too Edgy.

But you know who gets a bad rap? Manfred von Karma. He didn't mean to kill Edgeworth's dad.

Wait what? That's not how I remember it...

Forsaken Lover
07-20-2015, 10:26 PM
After the case, the elevator broke down with Edgeworth, his dad and I think he was a security guard or just some other random guy in there with them. The third man was losing his mind and dropped his gun which is why I think he was a security guard. Anyway, a terrified lil' Edgeworth picked it up to try and defend himself and his dad from the crazy man and accidentally set it off, shooting through the elevator door and hitting von Karma. von Karma, blinded by pain and confusion and rage at what appeared to be attempted murder, shot Edgeworth's dad to death right after this.

That's the order of events I recall.

Also
6HZwBnMyenA

Dat music

Levian
07-20-2015, 11:00 PM
I love it when Nick flips the whole case upside down by questioning assumptions we considered to be true from the beginning, BUT THEN IT TURNS OUT IT WASN'T TRUE AFTER ALL.

It happens in every case, but even so I rip my eyelashes off one by one in complete astonishment each and every time.

Mr. Carnelian
07-22-2015, 06:38 PM
No. It was the Professor in the kitchen with a knife! Wait, wrong game.

The second one isn't that well liked from what I find, even though I loved it. Though most tend to agree the last case in 2 was the best. I love the first one and need to get my hands on the third some time when I have the money for it.

I really liked the second one.

However, I hated the moment in the ending where they nerfed Franziska von Karma. The bit where she breaks down is completely inconsistent with everything we've seen about her character up to that point.

Heaven forbid that she should remain a strong, confident woman. :grumble:

Fynn
07-22-2015, 07:57 PM
http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/90297304/20594807
"What a foolishly foolish folly of a fool one must be to think
that I, Franziska von Karma, would become any less of a powerful,
magnificant woman with such a ridiculous turn of events.
You make me sick." *crackle*

Formalhaut
07-22-2015, 08:48 PM
The third cases in all the games are the comedy 'filler' episodes, not really tied into the overarching story. Turnabout Samurai, Turnabout Big Top, Recipe for Turnabout, Turnabout Serenade (to a lesser extent), and Turnabout Academy all fulfill the comedy filler role all third cases must perform. Of these, I'd have to say either Turnabout Samurai or Turnabout Academy to be the best of these.

I've loved every game of the series, to be honest. I still think that taken as a whole, the third game has the most cohesive plot which really escalates. Bridge to the Turnabout was a very nice ender for the original trilogy. It was so good, Mr. Carny doesn't even want to start Apollo Justice. :p

Fynn
07-22-2015, 08:51 PM
I just started Apollo Justice and am liking it significantly better. The first case was brutal!

Also, Apollo is just so friggin' cute!!! :ohdear:

Mr. Carnelian
07-22-2015, 09:00 PM
I just started Apollo Justice and am liking it significantly better. The first case was brutal!

That red waistcoat IS pretty darn swish. :spin:

Formalhaut
07-22-2015, 09:04 PM

That red waistcoat IS pretty darn swish. :spin:

Which is WHY YOU SHOULD PLAY IT. I'm going to keep at you until you break and play the awesome Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies. :colbert:

Karifean
07-22-2015, 09:12 PM
AJ has bar none the best first case in the series.

Makes up for it by having its other cases be comparatively lackluster though...

Shauna
07-22-2015, 09:27 PM
AJ was crippled by the fact that they were required to have Phoenix Wright appear. He just overshadowed Apollo in every way and it pretty much became Phoenix Wright 4 feat. Apollo Justice (I suppose). Also Apollo is p much useless as all the supporting cast do all the explaining to the point that I don't feel that I really did much uncovering of the truth, everyone else did and I was just there for the ride.

Eh. Apollo Justice just fell very flat and it makes me sad since it probably could have been a lot better.

Formalhaut
07-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Granted. Apollo Justice is a much better character in Dual Destinies. His story turns positively tragic in DD.

Shauna
07-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Oh yes, definitely, when his character is allowed to be more than a prop to hold up Phoenix Wright, it's fine.

I mean, I liked Apollo well enough as a character in AJ, but he just didn't get enough personality in his own game. Which is crazy.

maybee
07-23-2015, 06:49 AM

Wait what? That's not how I remember it...

This. From memory the man was a high functioning psychopath.

Formalhaut
07-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Oh yes, definitely, when his character is allowed to be more than a prop to hold up Phoenix Wright, it's fine.

I mean, I liked Apollo well enough as a character in AJ, but he just didn't get enough personality in his own game. Which is crazy.

Point taken, though not every game gives the main character much personality or screen-time. Vaan in FFXII is essentially just aspirational foil for Ashe, really, and he's supposed to be the main character in that game.

I agree, Apollo in Apollo Justice could be characterised better: having his name on the box doesn't help. But ignoring that, I saw Apollo in more of a pupil/mentor type relationship with Phoenix, which gets expanded upon more in Dual Destinies. His relationship with Trucy is also quite interesting and light.

Fynn
07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Point taken, though not every game gives the main character much personality or screen-time. Vaan in FFXII is essentially just aspirational foil for Ashe, really, and he's supposed to be the main character in that game.

Wrong. During development, it was made abundantly clear that Vaan was not going to be the main character, but rather that the game was supposed to have an ensemble cast, like VI.

And you can't really dispute that for AJ. It is literally called "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney". The game has his name on it.

Formalhaut
07-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Wrong. During development, it was made abundantly clear that Vaan was not going to be the main character, but rather that the game was supposed to have an ensemble cast, like VI.

Who looks at the development of games anyway :monster: He does feature pretty prominently in adverts and trailers though, and he's always the default FFXII representative in mash-up entries.

I'd rather call the cast a trio, to be honest. I would argue it is some stretch of the imagination to call it an ensemble; half the playable cast gets little to no substantial character development.

And you can't really dispute that for AJ. It is literally called "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney". The game has his name on it.[/QUOTE]

Eh. It really depends whether or not you believe his development in AJ to be detrimental to his character. I personally don't believe that. We heard enough of him in AJ that his much larger role in Dual Destinies (particularly in the crucial final cases) made sense. I admit, it would have been nicer to have had more, but we got enough. If calling it Phoenix Wright: Path to Redemption makes people feel happier, then fair enough. :p

Shauna
07-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Purely on a game 1 to game 1 for Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice (because saying that the sequel improves on it doesn't really justify why the first was so poor - you cannot bank on a sequel, heck there was a 6 year wait for Dual Destinies, I wasn't sure that it was ever coming) - I got a pretty good idea of the kind of person Phoenix Wright was in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. By the end of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney... I got a pretty good idea of the kind of person Phoenix was. And Trucy. And Klavier. But Apollo? I can't say that I did. He was just there.

Maybe that's what they wanted, to just have a bland guy be the watcher to the plot of Apollo Justice, but it's not something I expect from the Ace Attorney games (all the characters have always been so full of... character), which is why it was such a disappointment.

I don't think Apollo's development is detrimental to his character, I think it's nigh on non-existent and every other main character overshadows him. When he is allowed to develop in Dual Destinies, I completely agree that he is great, but like I said saying that he's great in Dual Destinies doesn't mean that it excuses how poorly they handled him in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.

Formalhaut
07-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Maybe it's different for me because I only got into the series after Dual Destinies was released, so I always knew there would be a sequel, and therefore his limited development didn't bother me.

Sorry.

Shauna
07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
No need for apologies...? We're just having a discussion.

Fynn
07-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Still, despite what I said earlier, I don't think it's a bad thing. Like, one of my favorite games of all time is Silent Hill 4. The main protagonist, Henry Townshend, really gets little to no character development and speaks very little. The game is essentially about the villain, Walter Sullivan. But despite that I still think it's a fantastic game and though Henry is mostly a blank slate and a character to serve as the player's self-insert of sorts, I really love him. I mean look at him! He's so awkward and adorkable and kinda looks like me!

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/silent/images/6/69/Henryaxe.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131228111722

But yeah, it does seem kinda unfortunate that Apollo gets this treatment in a game with his name on it :p

Karifean
07-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Well for the record... the original name of the game was just Gyakuten Saiban 4, no name no nothing attached, but the localization team probably thought it best to continue the naming convention from before, for understandable reasons.

Shauna
07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I know. x} And if that had been the case here... who knows how my opinion would currently sit! Probably not too different - Apollo's lack of character would still be unforgivable. xD

Fynn
07-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Yeah, thanks Karifean. That changes a lot.

Silly title localization.... person.

Slothy
07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
I only just started with this series the other day playing the original Phoenix Wright. Just finished chapter 2 and you know what? I really do want to punch Edgeworth in the face.

Ayen
07-24-2015, 02:45 PM
I only just started with this series the other day playing the original Phoenix Wright. Just finished chapter 2 and you know what? I really do want to punch Edgeworth in the face.

He grows on you. Really. I can still remember my goosebumps when he shows up in the second game.

Fynn
07-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Edgeworth is a sweet cinnamon roll, too good for this world, too pure.

Slothy
07-24-2015, 02:55 PM

He grows on you. Really. I can still remember my goosebumps when he shows up in the second game.

Well my only experience with him so far was his withholding evidence, witnesses, and probably manufacturing evidence to try and convict Maya and then me so for the moment I'll stick with wanting to punch him in the face until he gives me reasons not to.

Forsaken Lover
07-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Well my only experience with him so far was his withholding evidence, witnesses, and probably manufacturing evidence to try and convict Maya and then me so for the moment I'll stick with wanting to punch him in the face until he gives me reasons not to.

http://i.imgur.com/Kk6DKV1.gif

Also feel free to keep us updated on your progress! I'd like to hear about your thoughts on the game.

Slothy
08-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Okay, so I want to punch Edgeworth in the face a lot less now. Finished the fourth case last night and I guess he had reasons for turning into a dick, but he was still a dick in that second case.

But fuck von Karma. Just fuck him in the anus with a cactus.