PDA

View Full Version : Deaf or Blind?

Jinx
07-23-2015, 11:25 PM
If you had to choose, which would it be? You don't have to preface it saying neither, because obviously no one wants to be deaf or blind (okay, actually some of the Deaf community are happy they are deaf, but that's opening up another can of worms...)

I'd probably choose deaf, myself. Music and singing is such an important thing to me, but I feel like you retain a lot more independence when you're deaf. Most deaf people have normal lives, they just can't hear. Whereas, when you're blind you can't drive, have a harder time getting around, you'd have to relearn how to read, writing and video games are pretty much out of the question...

So yeah, I'd choose deaf.

noxious.sunshine
07-23-2015, 11:34 PM
It's a toss up.

I've always said I'd rather be blind than deaf because I couldn't live without hearing music.

Buuuut I also don't trust people so idk. Also the video game thing.

Formalhaut
07-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I'd rather be deaf. The thought of not being able to see Mr. Carny's face, and lots of other people, would probably break me.

Shorty
07-23-2015, 11:42 PM
I'd rather be deaf. I could live without music and sound; I think that being blind requires a certain amount of faith you would have to have in the world, and I don't have that faith. I would not want to live without being able to see.

fire_of_avalon
07-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Blind. I have really vivid dreams and I think I would retain the memory of alight fairly well. I don't know how I'd go on without the ability to hear. Not just music or the voices of the people who loved me, but just background noises of life. Soft sounds of rain. Rustled of clothes and sheets and grass. Being read to.

I know a lot of blind people and a lot of deaf people through work and the blind people see much more well adjusted to me. Not making a blanket statement, but an observation of the people I kmow.

Slothy
07-24-2015, 12:32 AM
I'd probably go with blind. It'd suck to not be able to see, but playing music and learning instruments is such a large portion of what keeps me sane I'm not sure I could give it up. Probably wouldn't be able to make instruments then though so that's a big downside.

Colonel Angus
07-24-2015, 12:38 AM
Deaf. I could go w/o hearing things, but I don't think I could go w/o seeing things.

Rocket Edge
07-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Your eyesight is paramount. I play an instrument myself, and love music, and the things foa states are true of course, but not being able to see is frightening. Being blind limits you to far more things than being deaf IMO.

Ayen
07-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Most blind people still have normal lives, too, and can still get a job. It requires a bit more practice, but once you get everything down there's nothing keeping you from living normally because you lost your sight. And yes, this includes using your computer and playing video games. One has a program you can installed and the other may require help from someone with sight, but it's not completely out of the question. There are several blind people out there who play video games.

Edit: Almost forgot to vote in the poll. Blind because I'd still want to hear the voice of my loved ones.

Pheesh
07-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Blind. My life would be absolute crap without music, I don't even want to think about it. If I'm blind I can still listen to, play and write music. I would also get an awesome seeing eye dog.

Slothy
07-24-2015, 02:34 PM
The upside to being blind would be learning that echolocation stuff so you can get around like Daredevil. Plus once robot eyes are available you get to be a cyborg.

Shiny
07-25-2015, 05:22 AM
You can still see if you're blind by using the same technique bats (and that dude from Superhumans) use. With that said, smurf no would never want to be blind. "There's just too much damn beauty in the world." Being deaf would also suck because music but would be awesome because I wouldn't have to hear certain people talk anymore. Can't I just choose taste or smell?

Bubba
07-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Your eyesight is paramount. I play an instrument myself, and love music, and the things foa states are true of course, but not being able to see is frightening. Being blind limits you to far more things than being deaf IMO.

I agree completely. I'm a musician and I do make quite a bit of money from it. After knowing MissH's sister for three years I just think being blind is more difficult to deal with. Granted, I think MissH's sister struggles more with her Cerebral Palsy than her blindness, but the issues she has with school, work and people in general are just ridiculous.

Also, this question is basically asking whether I would give up music or computer games. I'm just glad I don't have to make that choice.

Mirage
07-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Sorry ears, I choose my eyes, even though I listen to music for hours every single day. Without my eyesight, I wouldn't be able to play most of the games in the world, and that is a serious problem. Without hearing, I wouldn't be able to fully experience games, but that still beats not being able to play them at all.