PDA

View Full Version : Sephex plays Five Nights at Freddy's 4

Sephex
07-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Well, we're at it again! As usual, the latest installment of Five Nights at Freddy's is out and just was plain released out of nowhere (this time for REALLY real it is the last one)! No more pizza joint. No more camera system! Yes more 8-bit story telling sequences! So do I have what it takes to survive another 5 (or more) nights!?

NOTE: Again, I am using barebones stuff to record this so don't expect crazy typical YouTuber quality! :)

KnWUBXXGAhQ

Jinx
07-24-2015, 01:39 AM
SMURF YES

Also, Scoot IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HALLOWEEEEEEN

Jinx
07-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Pretty sure you're playing as one of the murdered children and/or a kidnapped victim of the Purple Guy. This installment is FUCKED UP.

Psychotic
07-24-2015, 07:56 AM
I only find out about these games through you :shobon: all four of your LPs have been the first time I've seen each one!

I do like how he reinvents the series each time. I wonder if this really will be the last!

Shauna
07-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Ah, neat! I'll give this a watch when I'm home!

Sephex
07-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Guess who sucks at this game?!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Also, it is my girlfriends birthday this weekend. Along with usual weekend stuff, I might not be able to get the next part out until Monday.

However, that might be a good thing. As a explain clumsily in the video, there have been reports of the breathing sound effect not being heard. When you open either side door, you are supposed to hear the animatroncs "breathe" as a warning to shut the door instead of shining the flash light.

Some people claim to hear it, while others do not. I had my volume all the way up on both times, and as I said in the video I never heard any breathing (or any sound effect) before I got jump scared. So I am hoping the small break will fix that problem, assuming it exists! I personally think either the breathing warning sound is too hard to hear on some headsets, or that there was some sort of problem when most people downloaded it since I am not nearly the first person that claims to not be able to hear the breathing. Anyway, enjoy watching me get spooked!

ri9gqnVqbbM

Lazerface
07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Nevermind. Anyway smurfing chica nearly gave me a damned heart attack. Scott has perfected it, this game is far scarier than every other Five Nights I played. It's damn nerve wrecking. Jesus this is something on a whole nother level.

Shauna
07-24-2015, 03:59 PM
It was due out later, but in a surprise twist, it was released yesterday.

Google is your friend. ;)

Psychotic
07-24-2015, 06:45 PM
RETURN OF PURR

I'm interested in whatever the phenomenon on the bed is.

It's good how you turning on the light is what triggers the actual attack animation, because obviously if you don't you're going to eat it, but each time you do you're running the risk of losing it all. Very clever.

EDIT: Sound bug update: http://steamcommunity.com/games/388090/announcements/detail/125324016593390872 not a bug!

Sephex
07-25-2015, 12:19 PM
EDIT: Sound bug update: http://steamcommunity.com/games/388090/announcements/detail/125324016593390872 not a bug!

Without spoiling how this session went, Scott did indeed fix the audio. I know that he claims there was nothing wrong in the first place, so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that some basic headsets/headphones (like mine) just had massive trouble picking up the breathing cue. It was WAY more obvious to hear this session...but that doesn't mean the game is a breeze now...

Anyway, I know I said in my last post I wouldn't be able to do another one until Monday, but as I go on to explain in this part, I had more time than I thought. I thought I would have to quickly go to bed and wake up early after working some overtime this past shift, but I don't have such a restrictive sleeping deal as I thought, so I played another session!

But NOW I surely won't be able to do another session until Monday morning, my time zone. Anyway, enjoy!

kB7yWhdmJLM

Jinx
07-25-2015, 04:17 PM
If an animatronic is at the end of the hallway and you close the door, the next time you open the door and flash the light it will be there waiting for you...

Sephex
07-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Quick heads up. Been sick all day and was hoping I'd pull out of it by now, but alas, I have not recovered. So I will post the next part tomorrow! Bah, my schedule has been weird for this one, sorry!

Sephex
07-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Good news! I managed to actually get a recording session done today, regardless! I went to my folk's house (that's why my background is different), and was able to procure some medicine. I felt a strong second wind and decided to take on the game again! See if I can get past night 3 now!!

d5u-JmwuNCk

Jinx
07-28-2015, 03:12 AM
CUPCAKE DEATH

oh my god, that is great

Sephex
07-28-2015, 03:48 AM
Legit, that one didn't even scare me. As you saw I couldn't stop laughing. This kid even has nightmares of cupcake teeth monsters lmao!

Not to say I didn't enjoy it. It was unexpected and cool.

Sephex
07-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Alright, time to take on night 4! Oh man, this game is a doozy! DO I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?!

jGkpho8Q7sI

Jinx
07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
What do the Freddys on the bed do? Call him to you?

Sephex
07-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Though I obviously haven't died because of them, I looked up what happens. If you let three (I think) gather for awhile Nightmare Freddy will pop in there and DEATH!!

Psychotic
07-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Caught up - loved the cupcake!

Sephex
07-28-2015, 09:54 PM
That seems to be a big hit with this game. My girlfriend, who follows the fanbase very closely, said that a lot of people requested a cupcake jumpscare since the plush was always in the other games as a fun little background thing. So basically Scott delivered!

As I said it was in the past couple of videos, I find it amusing (except when I am close to winning a night). Just the idea of Chica sending the cupcake to do her bidding is so damn funny!

Sephex
07-29-2015, 12:50 PM
OH MAN! THIS IS A LONG VIDEO BECAUSE OF A LONG BATTLE! BUT WHO PREVAILS AGAINST NIGHT 5?! FREDBEAR....OR MYSELF!!!

Yeah, I was kind of quiet and annoyed through most of this one, so I apologize for that.

mzihU58AJiI

Shauna
07-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Poor kid.

Jinx
07-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Dragon King playing Five Nights does NOT sounds like a good idea.

What is up with that high pitch noise...ah, I think that's the "flatlining" everyone is talking about.

irl mad

My opinion on the series: he should've stopped after 2. The story was told enough but had enough openings that it made it interesting. The last two have been kind of bad (lore-wise) in my opinion. Kind of feels like he's run the series into the ground story-wise. I think the designs from this game are the most legitimately scary, but I do think there was something beautiful and terrifying about the models in the original game.

RE: The coma stuff

That's pretty much the accepted theory at this point. At different times you can see an IV drip, flowers, and pills on your night table. You can also hear flatlining (the Freddy night) and everyone thinks it means you died. HOWEVER, a lot of people think that it WASN'T the Bite of '87 as it looks to take place at Fredbear's Family Diner, and not the location of the second game. Also, in one of the mini games, if you wait long enough, the TV says '83.

But of course r/FNAF is all "OH THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET" No, that'd be the original. What are your thoughts, Sephex?

Sephex
07-29-2015, 10:57 PM
I think the original is the best, but I like all of them to an extent. I'll break it down this way:

FNAF1:

PROS: By far the best sound design and atmosphere. Aside from the purposely cartoonish elements like the bank vault worthy panic room security doors, the sound alone makes it feel that you are watching a Chuck E. Cheese-like place during a night shift. Things properly echo, you hear attractions play random music, the animatroincs make sounds that you can tell would be perfectly normal during operational hours, but are intimidating and scary in your predicament.

CONS: On high level game play the game just relies on you doing a very specific pattern and only watching one camera feed or two in order to pass. That alone is a challenge of itself, but I kind of wish the game made you look at more camera feeds and fend off different patterns/conditions in order to make the hard stuff less repetative.

FNAF2:

PROS: Love the designs of all the animatronics, and how the withered original cast has the player believe the story moved forward until the twist is revealed that you are moving backwards. There is plenty to see and do while the gameplay turns what you were used to with FNAF1 on its head.

CONS: While there are more things to defend yourself against, the fact that you have to wind the music box makes looking at any other camera completely useless. As long as you scan the room quickly and efficiently the player can use obvious visual cues and audio cues to win. It's not easy on high level gameplay, but I almost feel Scott should have done away with cameras with this entry since the winding of the puppet was basically all you had to worry about, thus, the only camera feed that mattered as the game got harder.

FNAF3:

PROS: Took the idea of less is more, and I felt he actually did a good job on expanding the lore while wrapping things up. I also liked the hidden secrets you had to do to earn the good ending. It was like a game within a game. Balancing yourself between combating the hallucinations and Springtrap was also very fun and tense in moments where you had to reboot the system(s) and hope you could lure Spring Trap the hell away from your area.

CONS: Like FNAF1, the game ultimately relied on using a room or two through the camera feed in order to win on high level gameplay. This is the only FNAF I did 100% and it probably will only ever be the only one that I do that with. The less is more approach did work, but I felt this game leaned too heavy on expanding the lore (despite how much I liked it).

FNAF4:

PROS: Finally, EVERYTHING you know is different. The game's design is only related to the others in spirit, and I enjoyed how there is more camera movement in general. Also, I love how the game relies far more on audio. Scott's Nightmare designs could have been perceived as edgy for edginess sake, but the premise of the game made those designs make sense, especially once the player knows the story. Oh, and the jumpscare animations are the best of this one, even if one did make me laugh rather than frightened. I also like how the game relies less on speed and that there is NO resource management. Just listen, look, and take calculated risks to win!

CONS: Even before booting up the game I knew that the lore would venture back to the original restaurant. I find myself interested in the story, but again, I really thought the lore/story wrapped up nicely for the third game. It's cool to see the past more closely examined, but I really, REALLY hope Scott means it when he says enough is enough and this is the last game. From my understanding, there is DLC coming to this game, so we'll see what happens then. Also, I do feel the game gets a bit unfair at times and sound cues kind of get lost in the ambiance, so the player ends up losing because of miscommunication, not because of his or her own fault.

Jinx
07-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I've gotta say that watching videos of the first one still legitimately scare me, but the other ones seemed like they were trying too hard. The reason I think the first one works best scare-wise, is because it's so simple. You're a night guard in a Chuck E. Cheese, there's a story about kidnapped and murdered kids, the animatronics might be possessed...or it could all just be in your head.

Pretty simple story, but with enough thought and depth that there were lots of hidden clues and weird stuff and trout. Also the fact that Golden Freddy (who looks like a dead person) force-closes your game.

EDIT: Also, the animatronics designs were really simple and true-to-life, and that's kind of what made them (in my opinion) the scariest of all.

I mean, I have to give Scott Cawthon credit for coding 4 games on his own in..what, a year? A year and a half? And he seems like a really cool dude and he does good trout. I just think that, from a lore-standard, he should've stopped after game two. Or maybe just taken it in a different direction. I really didn't like the story of this installment. I would've liked it more if you were playing as one of the children Purple Guy kidnapped and maybe you got murdered at the end or something. Dark, yes, but it would've been a great story. Also, the kid you play as becoming the puppet (based on his tears) and planning his revenge to haunt Purple Guy. It would've tied things up nicely with finding out in the last game that the puppet/crying kid chased PG into Springtrap.

Sephex
07-29-2015, 11:44 PM
It is very impressive what Scott did by himself. The dude said he's been basically working non stop for the past year (for the record the original was released in August of 2014, so we are almost at the one year mark of the series' beginning)!

The games are not perfect, but I enjoyed them for what they were. Getting into the lore and following the various trail of breadcrumbs was as fun as playing the actual game for me.

And you nailed it on the designs. While I think the Nightmare designs are badass, especially because of the reason why they look that way, the original designs are the BEST ones simply because it has the uncanny effect to them. They look like during normal operation hours of the restaurant, you wouldn't think twice about their appearance...but put them in that late night shift? All of a sudden they look and feel as terrifying as just about any stalking trope monster!

Jinx
07-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Also the fact that they just don't move, and when they do, the camera goes fuzzy. And sometimes they're staring at the camera, which is freaky as shit, because they KNOW.

I do agree that the Nightmare designs were so cool, especially Nightmare Freddy. But you definitely put your finger on it--the original are scariest because they're just normal animatronics (which ARE pretty freaky, even in the best circumstances) and there's something very sinister about that. About normal, every day objects (if you can call animantronics normal, every day objects) being the things that want to haunt you...

Sephex
07-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Yep! I just loved the design and feel of the first game so much! But yes, here is proof that the normal looking ones can be eerie out of the slightest bit of context. You can hear people in the background, and this is obviously a test of some sort before they are going to be put in use for the day. It's just weird looking.

xDXBE9P9EX8

Jinx
07-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Just that still made my heart beat faster.

Sephex
07-30-2015, 12:18 AM
The last one they pan to on the drum set made me crack up, though. Imagine him saying, "WHAT? NO. I'M NOT CARRYING DRUGS, MAN."