PDA

View Full Version : The "You're Not Alone" Scene

Forsaken Lover
07-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Many years have elapsed since I counted myself among the FFIX fans but back when I did and I had to regularly defend the game, there was one criticism I saw a lot.

"Zidane is a pretty flat character."

And if you countered with the titular scene from Terra, the critic would say:

"That scene was really out of nowhere and made no sense and was stupid."

A lot of people felt very strongly that Zidane's angst there was artificial as helland reeked of forced drama. I read that view several times on this very forum, although it was many years ago now.

What is the current opinion?

Jinx
07-28-2015, 02:17 PM
It was always my understanding that he's like brain-washed or zombiefied or something in that particular scene, which is why everyone is so adamant about telling him how loved he is. He's not just being angsty, he's being controlled by Garland to think his friends are enemies.

So no, the scene doesn't bother me.

Pumpkin
07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
It's one of my favourite scenes, actually

charliepanayi
07-28-2015, 04:51 PM
The current opinion is that FFIX is one of the best games in the series and that scene is maybe the best bit of the game. Hopefully those crazy people you spoke to have learnt the error of their ways.

Depression Moon
07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
It was always my understanding that he's like brain-washed or zombiefied or something in that particular scene, which is why everyone is so adamant about telling him how loved he is. He's not just being angsty, he's being controlled by Garland to think his friends are enemies.

Yeah. Right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people, I'm not sure.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Yeah right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people I'm not sure.

Because he was a bad guy, and bad guys don't know about the power of heart.

Jinx
07-28-2015, 06:02 PM

Yeah. Right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people, I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's been a few years since I played the game and go to that point, so I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for clearing it up! :jess:

Ergroilnin
07-28-2015, 08:10 PM
I hate that fucking scene because it is only unavoidable exp in the game, making pure lvl 1 game impossible. Fuck the devs.

Saber
07-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Pandemonium's "You're Not Alone" Is the most powerful Final Fantasy IX scene in my opinion. I regularly watch it on youtube for fun. It shows he lost his soul but his friends bring him back together. I don't think it was a bad scene at all.

blackmage_nuke
07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Yea I always figured it was him losing his memories and having his friends remind him so its not a scene I could imagine anyone disliking unless they werent paying attention or it was mistranslated or something. There are a few scenes I dislike in this game but this wouldnt be one of them