PDA

View Full Version : Article: Final Fantasy Composer Arnie Roth teases Final Fantasy XII "Remake"

Forsaken Lover
08-02-2015, 02:25 AM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088670

Karifean
08-02-2015, 02:38 AM
Haha, based Arnie Roth taking the best possible announcement right out of Square Enix's mouth.

Seriously though this is awesome, and at this point I see no reason to believe this is a falsehood or mistake.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2015, 02:57 AM
I'll be cautiously optimistic until Squeenix announces something... & that something includes the IZJS being released in the west.

fat_moogle
08-02-2015, 04:18 AM
SE did say that they'd consider a FFXII He if FfXHD sold well enough. Which I'm assuming it has. If this is indeed true then I'm glad. FFXII is by no means my favourite Ff, and I couldn't complete it. I sucked T the gambits. And the story wasn't that great, but I don't know how it ended so it could have ended pretty well. I'd love to give it another go though.

EDIT: Also need clarification on "remake". I can see a HD remaster, but I don't see them wasting efforts on a full remake.

Jinx
08-02-2015, 04:26 AM
why

Tyson
08-02-2015, 05:06 AM
Just heard about this, I guess it was to be expected after the success of the FF X Remaster. Cool for the fans of XII.

I hate XII tho so I'm not too interested :P haha

Fynn
08-02-2015, 05:38 AM
This better be real or I swear I'm gonna eat my shoe.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2015, 06:21 AM
why
Reasons. Such as, it needs to be on more platforms. & we need IZJS. & it's just awesome. :shrug:

This better be real or I swear I'm gonna eat my shoe.
I'm quoting this, because I'm holding you to this. :p

Ayen
08-02-2015, 06:53 AM
EDIT: Also need clarification on "remake". I can see a HD remaster, but I don't see them wasting efforts on a full remake.

Remake seems to be used loosely for any type of re-release these days. I don't put much stock in the word given the context.

This is cool if it's true, but I'm waiting for the inevitable, "Square has joined the rest of the world in having no new original idea" comments and jokes to start.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2015, 08:39 AM
As long as it's the IZJS version, I'll be happy with this. Been a few years since I properly played through FFXII so if this pans out, it will be fun to go through it again.

Vermachtnis
08-02-2015, 08:42 AM
I've been really wanting to play this again so it'll be nice is true.

Anzai
08-02-2015, 12:00 PM
This is interesting news... I suppose I'll indulge a bit of optimism for now and assume it will actually happen, as despite replaying this only a few months ago I would love an updated version. Hopefully they'll do more than simply spruce up the graphics, so for now I'll just wait to hear about a state-side IZJS.

Aulayna
08-02-2015, 12:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/cPIWd.jpg

Fox
08-02-2015, 12:45 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/9947d6e33f3ee7909c4eaa1ff38a7118/tumblr_ns4m40tICR1ur7dx4o1_500.gif

DRACE HD IS COMING!!

Pike
08-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I might play it if it comes to PC. Maybe I'll actually like it this time.

I could listen to Balthier talk all day :love: Based Gideon Emery

fat_moogle
08-02-2015, 04:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/cPIWd.jpg
I wish I could share the same enthusiasm!

Formalhaut
08-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I do hope this is true, although until Square Enix announces it themselves I'm staying guarded. And I hope it is the IZJS version! I've yet to play that yet!

Fynn
08-02-2015, 05:14 PM
It really only makes sense for it to be the IZJS version, if the FFX Remaster is anything to go by. Why would they settle for a downgrade?

Formalhaut
08-02-2015, 05:21 PM
It really only makes sense for it to be the IZJS version, if the FFX Remaster is anything to go by. Why would they settle for a downgrade?

Yeah, it would be incredibly unusual to only give us the standard version, given that everyone knows with jealous knowledge that IZJS exists.

Fynn
08-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Soon we'll get our hands on it, Formy, I'm sure :3:

I just hope it's also on Vita.

Ayen
08-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Why would they settle for a downgrade?

Because they're Square Enix. They defy all logic, all reason, all hope. They transcend reality and destroy universes, and they do it with a trollish smile and a bow of the head.

Colonel Angus
08-02-2015, 05:54 PM
At a Final Fantasy Distant Worlds Concert in Pittsburgh PA, composer Arnie Roth speculated that Square Enix is in fact doing a "remake" for Final Fantasy XII in HD. Hitoshi Sakamoto (no relation to Nichijou's Sakamoto), who composed Final Fantasy XII on the Playstation 2 many moons ago, was in attendance and just may have given Roth the information.

IMGTCxb6rAc

Square Enix itself has not given a statement on the issue, so as of now it's merely speculation. Also, it doesn't seem likely that the game will be a complete "remake", but probably more of a "remaster" for HD. One would also hope that it would include the International Zodiac Job System that so far has only been available in Asia, because to not include it would make the remastering somewhat frivolous in the eyes of many Final Fantasy XII fans.

This would be the first time Final Fantasy XII is available on a platform outside of the Playstation 2. Hopefully, it will get a wide release (Playstation 4, XBox One, PC), so a wider array of fans could experience what some consider the greatest Final Fantasy of the series.

Fynn
08-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Because they're Square Enix. They defy all logic, all reason, all hope. They transcend reality and destroy universes, and they do it with a trollish smile and a bow of the head.

That's a tad dramatic.

Ayen
08-02-2015, 06:37 PM

That's a tad dramatic.

Only a tad? I'll have to try harder.

fat_moogle
08-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Final Fantasy X / X-2 didn't land on Xbox or PC so I don't see FFXII HD releasing on anything but PS4.

Fynn
08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Final Fantasy X / X-2 didn't land on Xbox or PC so I don't see FFXII HD releasing on anything but PS4.

X/X-2 came out on PS3, PS4 and Vita. That's reason enough to assume FFXII will come out on Vita as well.

fat_moogle
08-02-2015, 06:50 PM

X/X-2 came out on PS3, PS4 and Vita. That's reason enough to assume FFXII will come out on Vita as well.
Ah yeah, forgot to mention the Vita ^^

Colonel Angus
08-02-2015, 09:09 PM
I think they might be releasing it on the XBO & PC in the near future. I swear the PS4 was only getting the exclusive for a short time, unless I'm mistaken.

Karifean
08-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Honestly, watching that video, I'm starting to think he may have made a mistake and actually meant to refer to the Final Fantasy VII Remake. He mentioned it alongside Final Fantasy XV as one of the major upcoming titles, so in context it really feels to me like that was what he thought of.

Fynn
08-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Honestly, watching that video, I'm starting to think he may have made a mistake and actually meant to refer to the Final Fantasy VII Remake. He mentioned it alongside Final Fantasy XV as one of the major upcoming titles, so in context it really feels to me like that was what he thought of.

I pray to God that you're wrong. That would be terrible :(

Colonel Angus
08-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Quite possible. I feel bad for him if it was, though.

Ayen
08-02-2015, 10:35 PM

I'm going to laugh if this what he meant.

I'm going to laugh hard.

Fox
08-03-2015, 02:09 AM

Oh god... that's way too plausible. Dreams...shattering...

Colonel Angus
08-03-2015, 04:44 AM
Even if he was mistaken, I wonder w/ all the buzz happening this weekend over a XII remake would make Squeenix seriously consider it.

Fynn
08-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly.

And isn't Arnie Roth a huge fan of FF himself? If that's true, I doubt he'd confuse them. And some articles also mentioned Hitoshi Sakimoro being there and saying the same thing so...

Rostum
08-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Even if he was mistaken, I wonder w/ all the buzz happening this weekend over a XII remake would make Squeenix seriously consider it.

I honestly hope so!

After watching the video of the announcement I kind of figured he just got it mixed up with Final Fantasy VII's remake, but having Hitoshi Sakimoto there to confirm almost legitimizes it.

Please be real. *fingers crossed*

Fynn
08-03-2015, 11:02 AM
So it's definitely not a slip-up. (http://www.finalfantasy.net/xii/rumor-final-fantasy-xii-hd-announced-at-distant-worlds/) the update at the bottom of the page says that during the meet and greet after the concert they confirmed it was happening, though they couldn't disclose anything else. So yeah, I doubt both of them were so excited that they wouldn't correct themselves after the concert :D

Karifean
08-03-2015, 12:53 PM
That's great to hear. For a while there I was almost convinced it was just a mistake. Hopefully we'll get more info about it at Gamescom.

fat_moogle
08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
I bet SE told him to mention it in passing to build hype for Gamescom. I mean I think we were all expecting Final Fantasy XII to be announced at E3, but the FFVII remake bomb got dropped!

Shauna
08-03-2015, 09:46 PM

https://www.facebook.com/ffdistantworlds/posts/10153393020969471

*runs*

Fox
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM

https://www.facebook.com/ffdistantworlds/posts/10153393020969471

*runs*

Don't listen to Ondore's lies.

fat_moogle
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Well that clears that up then. I'm not too fussed but sucks for the fans who really wanted this to be true.

Fox
08-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Well that clears that up then. I'm not too fussed but sucks for the fans who really wanted this to be true.

(It just means it's an HD remaster rather than a remake. It's cool. That's exactly what we all thought.)

fat_moogle
08-03-2015, 10:11 PM

(It just means it's an HD remaster rather than a remake. It's cool. That's exactly what we all thought.)
So the remaster is happening? I'm so confused xD

Karifean
08-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Seriously, this is so fucking vague. He could simply have been told that it's not actually a "remake" per se (because it's actually a remaster). On the other hand that would make this announcement so frustratingly misleading.

Confused, but still leaning on the "it's happening" side.

Fox
08-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Pretty certain if it wasn't happening, they would have clarified that in the statement afterwards. Instead, all they said was "The word 'remake' was used incorrectly". That's about as crystal clear as you're allowed to be without SE suing the pants off you XD

Colonel Angus
08-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I think that message alludes to it happening. So that means...

:eager::omgomg::dance::bounce::kaoclove::eager::omgomg::dance::bounce::kaoclove::eager::omgomg::danc e::bounce::kaoclove::eager::omgomg::dance::bounce::kaoclove::eager::omgomg::dance::bounce::kaoclove:

Ayen
08-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Seriously, this is so smurfing vague. He could simply have been told that it's not actually a "remake" per se (because it's actually a remaster). On the other hand that would make this announcement so frustratingly misleading.

Confused, but still leaning on the "it's happening" side.

I look forward to the clarification of the clarification of the initial announcement.

silentenigma
08-04-2015, 04:19 AM
I was there, it was nuts to hear. Should have tipped yous off too, but I wasn't sure if it was leaked info or if I had missed a previous announcement. :party:

I'm guessing they want to backpedal this into rumor-dom as much as possible so that the intended announcement sometime in the future will still have impact.

Fynn
08-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Gamescom starts tomorrow.

So, fingers crossed.

Rostum
09-22-2015, 05:27 AM
I thought they'd at least mention it at TGS. Guess not. :(

Mr. Carnelian
09-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Are we all sure this is actually happening? That it's not all some 'Half Life 3 confirmed'-style hogswash?

Because I'm starting to have my doubts.

Mirage
10-01-2015, 05:36 PM
i'm annoyed that there aren't any dates yet.

i want my fucking ff12 replay and i don't want to emulate or play the old version

Fynn
10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
No official word on anything now, really, let alone a date.