PDA

View Full Version : FFNut replays the Snes

FFNut
08-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey Everyone, I decided to replay a bunch of old games and do a little write up on what I have played to see if anyone else may want to try an old something new. The first game I decided to do was...

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65397&stc=1

Yes the Jungle book. made up of years of frustration and tears as this game was tough. As a kid I could never get past level 8 and I eventually gave up and moved on to other games, but I always remember going... This time I got this! Only to be shot down again.

The Story: Mowgli has decided it is time to go live in the man village and is on his way back when he starts getting hunted bye the Tiger Shere Kahn. During his adventures on his way back he will do battle with Kaa the Snake, King Louie, and then Shere Kahn himself.

Game Play: It is a side scroll adventure that has you controlling Mowgli, as you swing, jump, hitch a ride on parrots, and make your way through the Jungle. You do get help along the way as well, and your old trusty Bear friend Baloo will come out from behind bushes and toss what looks like a mask out which when picked up gives Mowgli a set time where enemies can not hurt him. There are also things you can pick up in the form of Gems. There are green gems, that when you collect enough will take you to mini games, and red gems that when you collect 20 in a level you get another Continue. Also you can pick up things like Mango's, Coconuts, and a red thing I don't know what it is as a secondary weapon for Mowgli as well. Your main weapon though will be Banana's. As you see enemies you will unload banana's like its going out of style, as you have an unlimited amount ready for your use.

Difficulty: On a scale of 1 to 10 this game ranks just behind Contra. The levels themselves aren't so bad, but the Boss Fights are next to impossible. Its a good thing I used a emulator to play this as save states really helped me make it through the fight with King Louie who seemed to have taken more Banana's then India could have grown to go down. Not to mention Mowgli starts off with four hears for damage, and that never goes up the whole game. Finding hearts are few and far between to replenish the ones lost through just trying to get through the levels are few and far between.

Music: The music in this game was great, If you ever watched the movie as a young child, you will find yourself singing along with them. However it does tend to loop which when stuck on a level may make you either tune out, or rage as its basically 30 seconds looped over and over again in the level.

Controls: These were easy to figure out and use. They did a good job here as honestly You could pick it up and have it down in the first minute of playing.

http://home.eyesonff.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65398&stc=1

Graphics: Graphics were done well too for a 16 bit system. It was easy to figure out what everything was, and you were never left guessing what is that, except for the red fruit as a secondary weapon.

Overall: I really enjoyed going back through this game again as an adult and had a blast doing it. I would suggest using an emulator though as the no save feature is a downside to this game. Out of a scale of 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest I give it a 6.5. Otherwise if you are looking for something you never tried before pick it up. If you don't though You didn't miss on much. It is fun however.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-10-2015, 01:55 AM
This is a pretty awesome idea. I love the old SNES games. You should do Lion King next!

Formalhaut
08-10-2015, 02:01 AM
Bananas as deadly weapons? Now I've seen everything!

Good write up FFNut :D

FFNut
08-10-2015, 02:53 AM
I was playing around with Breath of fire II but I'll do up the Lion King next. It will be a bit easier to get done at the moment time wise.

Bubba
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Awesome idea. I was planning on doing something similar once I'm all moved in to my new house and the gaming room is up and running.

Lion King is a good shout. Picking up a copy on eBay is pretty expensive though! If only I had a computer so I could use an emulator.

FFNut
08-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Ya I'm emulating as all my stuff is in storage plus with save states I can rip through games a bit quicker. As on tough spots save and try again.

FFNut
08-14-2015, 09:13 PM
The year was 1994, and I am at home wondering what I am going to do for the rest of the weekend with no prospects in site for any fun at all due to me fighting the prior weekend and now my mom in her wisdom has grounded me at home. Suddenly a dragon appears... wait no it was just my sister, and she was being nice to me? What is it she wants? Ohh her obsession with Disney has forced her to buy the game The Lion King and she needs my SNES to play it. Ok sis lets hang out, I have nothing better to do, plus Dad told me to share with you or feel his boot. We Put the game in... two days later we both were laughing and enjoying each others company having wrapped the game 20 times or so together.

The Story: You play as Simba and you follow the events of the Movie. You start as a young cub playing in the Pride Lands jumping around singing and exploring. As it progresses and you leave the Pride Lands you get to explore new area's as Simba grows up and makes his way back to take on his Uncle Scar and take back his true place as King.

Game Play: Its a side scrolling adventure. There are different power up items in the form of bugs that lets you regain health, give you extra lives, make your Roar Meter larger, as well as your Health Meter larger. Also you can collect bugs to get Mini games that star Timon and Pumba where... you guessed it, you collect bugs. As you make your way through the levels they usually put a mini boss at the end of each one like a Hyena, or on has a Gorilla, Then eventually Scar. This was 10 levels of fun that stayed close to the story with a few minor puzzles along the way.

Difficulty: This game had its tough moments, but for the most part if you paid attention you could get through it, and start seeing patterns emerge. Oddly enough the third Level The Elephant Graveyard was tough as Smurf, while the difficulty went away after that until Level eight. Scar was easier to get through than most of the enemies you run into for the most part such as the Leopards, and those darn bats that only take a hit but seem to knock you off ledges and seem to be tough hit.

Music: It had a great soundtrack for being a SNES title and each level had its own music from the movie. You will find yourself signing alone with all the levels even though no words are sung. However It did loop a lot as well, and some of those tougher area's you were stuck for a while.

Overall: I really enjoyed this game, and playing it again just brought back found memories from a time I used to like my sister. That being said I may be a touch bias with it however I think it can still hold up to this day. I gave it a 7 out of 10 and am going to say if you like the movie, you will probably have fun with the game as well. Try it!

FFNut
08-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Finished Super Mario World last night, write up is coming. Let me know what you want me to play next.

Rez09
08-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Wild Guns! :D

Bubba
08-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Definitely gonna bite the bullet and buy The Lion King for the SNES. MissH is keen to play it too. Looking forward to your Super Mario World review!

I'd like to see your take on Zelda: A Link to the Past and Contra 3 :D

FFNut
08-20-2015, 10:02 PM
I'm Just about finished Wild Guns now, and Zelda will be after that. I'll follow that with Contra 3.

FFNut
08-20-2015, 10:42 PM
I had finally saved up enough money bye painting fences and mowing the lawn what seemed like a wage suited for child labour for my dad and I had enough for a SNES! I went to the store with my mom and saw one that came with Super Mario All Stars, and Super Mario World. I went to the teenage kid behind the counter may get have that one please and he said... Good choice, it comes with two games. I said thank you very much and he sold it to me. As my mom walked away he asked me if I knew how much... Well its a illegal plant, I could have bought with the money. I said I did know, but really I had no idea. I waited while my mom picked up dry cleaning, went grocery shopping, and picked out a new outfit for a company Christmas party she was going to attend. What was probably an hour felt like years as I got home, ripped open the box, and realised the cords that came with it wouldn't fit in my TV so I had to go back to the store to get others so I could hook up the system. An hour latter I had it ready to go! I grabbed Super Mario World and plugged it into the SNES. That's right, it was my very first SNES game I played!

The Story: Bowser is up to his old tricks yet again, as he kidnapped Yoshi's friends and Princess Toadstool and Mario decides to put his over sized pants on, eat a funny Mushroom and runs to the rescue. He makes his way through seven of Bowsers Henchmen and castles before taking on the bad boy himself.

Game Play: Super Mario World is a side scrolling adventure where you control Mario, or in two player mode Luigi through a series of levels where you can fly, shoot fireballs, collect coins, hop on Yoshi, climb vines, drop down pipes, defeat minions such as Kuppa's, and all things expected from a Mario side scrolling adventure. There were also levels in this which had secret endings to that would open up new secret levels that would change difficulty, and also fast track you to Bowser. As I turned this on again it reminded me of hours spent looking for the secrets, and funny enough my memory stayed true as I was able to push through the game at a lightning pace finishing everything except the star road.

Difficulty: The difficulty moves from easy to smurfing hard as you progress through the game, however It wasn't impossible to get through. The game also gives you spots where you can get mountains of lives at a time so if at first you don't succeed you can always get more very easily and try try again.

Music: The Music has a up beat flow to it that has humming along, as I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't heard the Mario Music. It had a few new tunes with it, as well as a few classics that would change depending on what type of level you were on while playing it.

Overall: Like I said, this was my first game I ever played on the SNES so I may be a bit bias towards it myself, however I believe it is one of the strongest Mario titles out there still to this day and it held up very well with age. I still had a blast going through it, and I have been putting it on for Dee's daughter to play and the next generation is still enjoying the smurf out it. If you never played this Mario either you live under a rock, or you must be young and your parents were not gamers. Pick this up and play the smurf out of it, or dust off the old copy and plug it back in. You wont be disappointed!

Bubba
08-20-2015, 11:25 PM
I agree! Super Mario World is probably the Mario game I've spent the most time with. It's still on my to-do list to do a perfect run on this. I unlocked 91 exits (including all Star and Special Road) without dying... God damn Monty Mole!

I will accomplish this at some point.

FFNut
08-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Just finished Wild Guns. Write up coming soon with The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past beginning!

Bubba
08-21-2015, 01:12 PM
I regard myself as a bit of an expert when it comes to A Link to the Past so give me a shout if you need any help.

FFNut
08-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Hey Everyone, Welcome back to FFNut replays the SNES. I was asked to do Wild Guns, and me never before playing this game gave me no story to introduce it.

The Story: Gangsters in the Wild West have gunned down Annie's family. Annie has decided to hire local bounty hunter Clint to help take the law into her own hands and revenge her family that was lost to her.

Gameplay: This is the classic old school arcade style Shoot em' up. You take control of either Annie or Clint and in the true John Wayne type defence of standing in the open and watching the bad guys shoot at you and hopefully miss as they jump out from behind buildings you peg them off one bye one. You start with a six shooter and as you progress you get power ups such as machine guns, and the best of all bombs which will Nuke everything on the screen.

Difficulty: This game can get tough as the screen is filled with bullets flying and as you move in Matrix style dodging, there really is no place for you to hide. It boils down how good your eye hand is, and split second decisions that makes the difference between life and death for Annie and Clint. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Music: I have no clue what it sounded like as the sound of guns bad guys yelling and all the other noise drowned it out on you. To be honest I had to play the game on mute.

Overall: This wasn't my cup of tea as I was never into the whole stand there and kill them all Arcade games as a kid. That being said I can definitely see what would attract people to it. It took the classic Arcade Style Shoot em' up, gave it a wild west steampunk look, gave a ton of action non stop, and introduced a strong female who could kick butt. Even though it wasn't for me if you like this type of game I say give it a go, it is one of the best I played in this genre and I give it overall a 7 out of 10.

Bubba
08-28-2015, 11:47 AM
I never experienced Wild Guns either. Once I get a laptop or something to emulate on then I'll give it a whirl. Far too many SNES gems that I haven't experienced!

Rez09
08-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Pewpewpewpewpewpew! >: D

I love the arcade feel of the game, but I can certainly understand it being a bit of a turn off if that isn't your cup of tea -- kind of knocks out my next suggestion of Sunset Riders, though. :p

Are you interested in a Zelda game you may not have tried before? If so, you should check out BS The Legend of Zelda Third (or Fourth) Quest -- it's an SNES remake of the original Legend of Zelda.

FFNut
08-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Just finished The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past. Write up coming soon!

FFNut
09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
It was Christmas and I had a dream. The dream was I would somehow get $20 bucks so I could go to the store and buy The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past that was on sale for the great low price of $19.99. Of course I never thought that it would be closer to $23 after tax, but it was next on my hit list as I had just finished for the third time Final Fantasy III (Later in north America shown as VI) and I was not to be denied! As it happened, I did get denied and got no money but bye a fluke my sister grabbed it for me as a gift! It was a great day. After opening gifts with the family I rushed over to my SNES and plugged in a game that would take me to the world of Hyrule and on an adventure to save a Princess known as Zelda.

The Story: An evil Wizard (is there any other kind for a video game) has kidnapped the decedents of old, 7 maidens the last being Princess Zelda herself and is preforming a ritual to dray them into the dark world in order to open a path for himself and gain access to the Tri Force that will make him a God amongst man. Mr. evil Wizard has brainwashed the king, and took his daughter Zelda prisoner as she is the final key to the puzzle for him. You wake up on a stormy night in your Uncles home and see him armed to the teeth and are told to stay put. However a telepathic message from the Princess, and a rebellious spirit has you disobey your uncle and set off to rescue her, and defeat the evil Wizard. I wont give away the whole story here, just in case others wish to play it and experience it for themselves. However this is just the prologue to an epic adventure.

Gameplay: It is a over view map world where as you moved through screens it would take you to the next part of the world. You had full control on where you adventured, and as new items were found it opened up even more of the map in a sandbox feel. It focused on the dungeons that were worlds within themselves almost as you searched for keys and special items to help you though them.

Difficulty: I remember as a kid ripping my hair out on some of the dungeons. However as I am now older (and a little more patient) I found the game much easier to figure out. Nothing really stands out as not being able to figure out with a little time and a level head.

Music: The music to it is catchy as you find yourself humming along to it, the only downside to it is if you have low health the game beeps repeatedly until you can heal which makes you hit mute pretty fast as it is annoying.

Overall: This game was epic on all levels! I never had so much fun playing a game again in long time. I really couldn't put it down and it really stood out as one of the best games for the SNES made. It is a must play for any retro gamer!