PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XV Dawn Trailer

Pumpkin
08-05-2015, 07:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QHKzhla.jpg

The Final Fantasy XV Dawn Trailer has just been revealed, showing us new insight in to the game! I'm not a news lady so I'll just throw some images at you!

So we get a little bit of story in this.

http://i.imgur.com/8pNHEXG.png
http://i.imgur.com/cGvd3dE.png

Intrigued? We also get to see some more of the lady Luna

http://i.imgur.com/8p7UCms.png
http://i.imgur.com/QclCvyI.png

She appears to be being attacked by a masked man in armour.

We then see some men in armour patrolling the streets. We also get another look at out doggy friend going through the town.

http://i.imgur.com/ZaCAJ2a.png
http://i.imgur.com/M3WKzqF.png

It isn't too long before we see the young Noctis and his father in a rather touching moment.

http://i.imgur.com/AdjWiqs.png

We get another look at the area, and some closing words.

http://i.imgur.com/aSfH8lx.png
http://i.imgur.com/fcy2kEE.png

No release date confirmed, but you can preorder on Amazon.

Full trailer can be watched here:
LVtD_3Bu8Yo

Fynn
08-05-2015, 07:35 AM
I kinda wonder who that old guy is. He doesn't look like Regis at all - he's way too old. Maybe he's Noctis's dead grandpa or something?

Come to think of it, he kinda looks like Galuf.

Psychotic
08-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Doggy looks injured :(

Saber
08-05-2015, 07:44 AM
What I got from it is the kid in the scene is the main character. I've seen trailers on youtube but was waiting for this to come out. SE was quite impressed with the dog. It gave more story depth, like perhaps we won't be young adults fighting big bad enemies all the time but we'll see each enemy grow. Can't wait to get this game!!!

Zanmato
08-05-2015, 07:53 AM
The world in this game reminds me FFVII somehow, but it's a good thing, actually.
It's futuristic, yet the swords are still there - I think that fantasy will still rely on these weapons, heh. :P
I can't wait for the game! It's gonna be interesting, for sure. :3

Noctis Caelum
08-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Never have we seen a Final Fantasy game with such a realistic setting. I have to say, it's pretty refreshing. They really seem to want to focus on the character development for this. And I'm completely for it. Was just kind of gutted that a release date wasn't at the end of the trailer. But it's not too late to get that nugget of wisdom, Gamescom only just started after all.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
That was... interesting. The music was pretty cool with the Prelude motif but the trailer asks more questions than answers, and not quite in the "Oh my goodness I need this game now! I MUST KNOW!!!" kind of way. Hopefully there will be more info with interviews and whatnot.

Fynn
08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Yeah, Gamescom only just started. We may be getting more info over the upcoming days.

Tyson
08-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Disappointing there was no release date. "Preorder at Amazon" must be a good sign tho right? :S

With that being said I loved the trailer, a big concern with the changeover from Versus to XV was the tone, 15 seemed very light and fluffy compared to the original dark/serious way Versus was first shown. Nice to see that is still present in the game.

Also I love that we're getting flashbacks of Noctis/Luna, my biggest gripe with XII/XIII was the lack of interesting characters/development. Looks like that's going to rectified :)

Loony BoB
08-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Please, please, please let Liam Neeson voice act the old dude. I can't look at him and not hear Liam Neeson.

Jinx
08-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Luna's hair looks SO much better. Not that stupid gel-hardened curly ponytail thing that hasn't been in fashion since 2004.

fat_moogle
08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm wondering what the figures are in the mist at the end of the trailer. I might be looking in to it too much, but the figure in the centre kind of looks like Alexander.

EDIT: On second glance...maybe not so much. But the figure on the left looks like an Iron Giant.

Doesn't it? xD

Fynn
08-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Occuria confirmed

Del Murder
08-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Hm, that wasn't much. Hopefully more to come. The Noctis's dad holding him scene went on a little too long.

Necronopticous
08-05-2015, 10:09 PM
This game has been delivering seemingly inexhaustible disappointment for nearly a decade. It is a cornucopia of failure.

Colonel Angus
08-06-2015, 01:32 AM
I 2nd Fynn on the Galuf thing. He also looks like Christian Bale 30 years from now.

It doesn't really give us a whole lot for a story trailer, but I think there's got to be a lot of symbolism in there. The crippled dog in particular has to have some bigger meaning. For some reason, when I first saw the dog, I thought for some reason it would morph into Noctis or something.

Noctis Caelum
08-06-2015, 01:38 AM
It hasn't really been mentioned, but the contrast to this trailer is really kind of fascinating. At the start, we have child-Luna getting abused in what looks like a possible rape scene -- very controversial to say the least, but we don't know for sure what happens there, but in any event, it doesn't look good at all. And the end, we have the tenderness of Lucis and kid-Noctis.

I loved the part where Noctis pushed his father away, possibly because Lucis' beard is itchy, NOT because he's rejecting his father's affection. I'm a sucker for small touches like that.

The trailer doesn't show much in the gameplay department, but again, we've seen plenty of that, and I wanted more story/character development anyway.

And, how about those three large Guardian esque things high up in the sky? It's already been confirmed that they are NOT summons, so... what on earth could they be? I get that people are disappointed with this trailer, but there's quite a bit of intrigue involved when you look a little deeper into things.

Lamia
08-06-2015, 01:54 AM
Was expecting more TBH. Their other trailers were good... this one, not so much. Doesn't really tell me much more about the game.

Fynn
08-06-2015, 05:54 AM
The trailer seemed to care more about setting the tone, which is... fine, actually, IMO. Perhaps it really is just laying the groundwork for other trailers. But even if it isn't, the tone and the sheer raw quality of the emotions is really something we have t seen in an FF yet.

Which makes me all the more sad to see so much hate in this thread. Yes, the wait is long, but we've already seen a lot of exciting stuff and it's all looking really amazing. After the train wreck that was XIII, things are looking really fantastic for this game, and it all seems so fresh and new for FF with tons of actual creative thought put into it. Unlike anything Toriyama was ever capable of. So no, I disagree that the XIIIs coming out in a timely fashion makes them anything more than that. While XV looks like a huge endeavor and I'm happy to wait twice as long, seeing how unique this game looks.

Fynn
08-06-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm not saying THAT was hate :p It wasn't directed at anyone in particular here. Its just that the Internet is very angry with the trailer and so many people are getting so personal over this game taking so long and being underwhelmed by the trailer.

Wolf Kanno
08-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Except the XIII Trilogy was working with an established engine and world which is a hell of lot easier to make a game quickly if you don't have to hire people to create a world, characters, gameplay and graphics engine from scratch. Of course the XIII Trilogy came out in a timely manner, because it already took them five years to make FFXIII since the original concept was thought up in 2004.

I'm not saying Versus XIII/XV's development has not been a train wreck and will probably stand shamefully next to the likes of Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever as development hell horror stories. Yet I would point out that previous FFs have given us far less. Hell XIII and XII received very lukewarm responses by fans from their demos, but a demo just shows you an aspect of the game and FF demos are known for being pretty jarring and giving off no answers and having very unpolished and unfinished gameplay.

Night Fury
08-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Did we really need to see a young girl getting attacked by an old man? Really? Urgh.

Tyson
08-06-2015, 11:38 AM
It hasn't really been mentioned, but the contrast to this trailer is really kind of fascinating. At the start, we have child-Luna getting abused in what looks like a possible rape scene -- very controversial to say the least

I reaaally doubt that's where that scene was headed haha. This is still a Final Fantasy game. I imagine that flashback is of her home being seized by the imperials when she was young. Or was she born into that society? Don't think that's been clarified yet.

I enjoyed the trailer, honestly I don't want them to show too much of the story (game/movie trailers do that far too much these days) so this one focusing more on the serious tone/emotion of the story was great.

Ayen
08-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Did we really need to see a young girl getting attacked by an old man? Really? Urgh.

It's almost as if they're trying to alienate their female user base, or something.

Ayen
08-07-2015, 02:06 AM
I are female. That thought never even crossed my mind when I saw the scene. Just looked like maybe Luna being kidnapped or maybe an attempted assassination? How do we know that guy was old to begin with? My oh my.

*It's almost as if they're trying to alienate the female user base who are irritated by this sort of thing.

Miriel
08-07-2015, 05:27 AM
I are female. That thought never even crossed my mind when I saw the scene. Just looked like maybe Luna being kidnapped or maybe an attempted assassination? How do we know that guy was old to begin with? My oh my.

*It's almost as if they're trying to alienate the female user base who are irritated by this sort of thing.

I'm not irritated by it, but it definitely had a rape-y vibe which isn't exactly what I want out of a Final Fantasy game.

But meh. The whole thing was meh.

Night Fury
08-07-2015, 09:24 AM

It's almost as if they're trying to alienate their female user base, or something.

It's not that, it's just cliche and shite.

fat_moogle
08-07-2015, 03:41 PM
We don't know the context of the scene at all. Isn't it a little bit too early to be jumping to conclusions? It seems there's always someone offended by something these days, jeez.
This.

As for the rape comment, wtf.

Fynn
08-07-2015, 03:54 PM
She's being held hostage/kidnapped, as the situation makes it seem she's the daughter of a royal in an occupied city. Makes sense for her to have that in her backstory. Rape implications aren't that far-fetched, but I really doubt that's what they were going for.

I'm also starting to wonder what her relationship with Noctis will be. It looks like his country invaded hers in the past, now hers invades his. Unless I'm mixing up some facts XD

Jinx
08-07-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm sure most of the women on this board will agree--you just can't possibly understand how, as a woman, tiring it gets to be inundated with countless media that likes to weaken females, especially through rape.

It's especially especially disheartening to see the only confirmed major female (and non playable) character be a victimized. She may very well be STRONG, but she's no doubt dealt with trauma (even if she wasn't raped).

So fucking tiring.

Psychotic
08-07-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't have a problem with what they showed with Luna in and of itself. Characters and stories without bad things happening to and with them are always boring. This scene depends on a wider context and context is what is important here. If Luna is a victim, if she is pushed around and doesn't stand up for herself, if she doesn't grow in any meaningful way or have any successes or triumphs and depends on Noctis and da boyz to save the day then yeah smurf that noise.

Something that is often overlooked in these debates is that there is a difference between depicting sensitive topics like racism, sexism and so on and endorsing them. This situation reminds me of the controversy over the cover of Far Cry 4. It depicted a man in a pink suit expressing dominance over someone (http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1361/13618623/2540716-9220956105-far-c.jpg). The tumblr crowd was in uproar. How dare they show this white man enslaving an ethnic minority - is this the sort of thing you will be doing in the game?! As it turned out, the man was also of that minority and a villain, not the playable character.

With that said, I do want to ask "Why choose that for your brief trailer?" I said context was key and Square-Enix have provided very little information on the character of Luna. I can't really blame people for being upset by seeing difficult images without context, which is what Square should provide if they want to depict sensitive subjects like that in a responsible way.

Fox
08-07-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm sure most of the women on this board will agree--you just can't possibly understand how, as a woman, tiring it gets to be inundated with countless media that likes to weaken females, especially through rape.

It's especially especially disheartening to see the only confirmed major female (and non playable) character be a victimized. She may very well be STRONG, but she's no doubt dealt with trauma (even if she wasn't raped).

So smurfing tiring.

Reminds me of Crystal Dynamics with the new Lara Croft. Gotta have people try to rape her! That's the only way women can become strong, apparently. It's why I preferred Keeley Hawes' Lara - she was just badass because she felt like it. "I'm rich, let's go find ancient artefacts because why not?"

Maybe it's just because everyone is trying to lean towards 'gritty realism' and they see attempted rape as 'realistic'. ...That's one of the more depressing possibilities I've considered in a while.

Noctis Caelum
08-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm not saying THAT was hate :p It wasn't directed at anyone in particular here. Its just that the Internet is very angry with the trailer and so many people are getting so personal over this game taking so long and being underwhelmed by the trailer.
People aren't mad at the trailer for the subject matter inside of it. I doubt many people even grasp the depth to look inside of what was shown and question what they're seeing and why they're seeing it.

All they care about is how a dad hug with his child lasted for over a minute, and there was no release date at the end, even though there was a pre-order prompt. In the internet's case, that's an epic fail. But, this is what happens when the internet is impatient, and frankly, 90% stupid.

I'd much rather Square take their time with this game instead of rush it just to get it out to appease people, only to turn it into the next Assassin's Creed Unity. I can't be the only one that wants this game to be good. And the most important thing is not releasing it in a timely matter to appease you. The most important thing is to release it when it's good and ready.

So smurfing tiring.
It is tiring. But I don't get why the lack of female playable character is such a big deal. FFX-2 was an estrogen frenzy. Where was the talk of playable male characters? Nobody really gave a crap. But fast forward over ten years later, and everybody makes a fuss because the lack of boobs makes the game less appealing.

And I find it kind of disheartening that I HAVE to clarify that not everybody thinks that way, but the majority of people DO. Sex sells, and the best way to do that is to have attractive females in your games. It's why practically every game does it. And I do kind of give SE SOME credit for going against that grain with XV.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't mind more female characters. But I'm not one of those people that thinks it's a crime that there aren't any. It's not something I consider important for a game. The important element to a game is its story. And if someone needs more playable females in the story for it to be good, well, I think they need to re-examine their priorities in what they find a story 'good'.

Jinx
08-07-2015, 10:09 PM
I feel like I've explained in more than one FFXV thread why a game with no female characters doesn't appeal to me. I'm not going to justify it again. Go read one of the other threads for that.

I do, however, take offense at being told that I need to re-examine why I find a story 'good', especially given that I never criticized the story, only that I find a game with no playable female characters and only one major female NPC to not be appealing to my personal tastes. And what is 'good' is subjective in that it usually revolves around the consumer to connect with the story. Why or how they connect to the story isn't up to you to decide.

Ayen
08-07-2015, 10:41 PM
It is tiring. But I don't get why the lack of female playable character is such a big deal. FFX-2 was an estrogen frenzy. Where was the talk of playable male characters? Nobody really gave a crap. But fast forward over ten years later, and everybody makes a fuss because the lack of boobs makes the game less appealing.

And I find it kind of disheartening that I HAVE to clarify that not everybody thinks that way, but the majority of people DO. Sex sells, and the best way to do that is to have attractive females in your games. It's why practically every game does it. And I do kind of give SE SOME credit for going against that grain with XV.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't mind more female characters. But I'm not one of those people that thinks it's a crime that there aren't any. It's not something I consider important for a game. The important element to a game is its story. And if someone needs more playable females in the story for it to be good, well, I think they need to re-examine their priorities in what they find a story 'good'.

The reason why no one probably gave a trout when it came to X-2 is because there were, and are, plenty of games with male leads that the boys can go and play. Whereas, on the reverse, women have less options than men in their games.

I find it amusing you're giving FFXV kudos for going against the "sex sales" grain when there's a certain mechanic with her tits hanging out in the very same game.

Night Fury
08-07-2015, 11:44 PM
She's being held hostage/kidnapped, as the situation makes it seem she's the daughter of a royal in an occupied city. Makes sense for her to have that in her backstory. Rape implications aren't that far-fetched, but I really doubt that's what they were going for.

I'm also starting to wonder what her relationship with Noctis will be. It looks like his country invaded hers in the past, now hers invades his. Unless I'm mixing up some facts XD

Why do we need ANOTHER Princess being kidnapped though? I'm smurfing tired of princesses being kidnapped and taken hostage. And no, a few times in other media where it is not the case does not make it okay, and does not mean that I can't be frustrated.

Also, FFX-2 being an 'estrogen fest' is a good point - but they did add male characters in the HD remaster that can come into the party - and there were several male characters pivotal to the story that you interacted with a lot. Also, every other FF game has had many male characters - most of the time them being the 'main character' so to speak.

Sex sells, and the best way to do that is to have attractive females in your games. It's why practically every game does it. And I do kind of give SE SOME credit for going against that grain with XV.

Are you serious?

http://nichegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/final-fantasy-xv-04-30-15-1.gif

Formalhaut
08-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Also, every other FF game has been male-centric.

Well, you could argue FFXII was centered around Ashe, and FFVI is centered in large part by Terra and Celes. The FFXIII trilogy is centered around Lightning and Serah and their bond of sisterhood. Though to be honest, they are more exceptions to the rule than the norm.

Night Fury
08-08-2015, 12:05 AM
I changed the wording of my post. Still, a few like those mentioned does not change the series history. Yes, they're being a lot more female inclusive in their later titles as you mentioned - but then, I mean, Cidney.

Formalhaut
08-08-2015, 12:38 AM
I changed the wording of my post. Still, a few like those mentioned does not change the series history. Yes, they're being a lot more female inclusive in their later titles as you mentioned - but then, I mean, Cidney.

I do agree with you Fury; I actually find it annoying when men are the main characters for the very sake of filling that quota. Vaan for example really should not have been the main character. And I really don't need to be reminded of Cidney. :shrug:

Fynn
08-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Vaan was never intended to be the main character, Formy :p

And I see your point, Night, about the kidnapped princesses and all that. And while I'll agree it's overdone, there's two reasons why I like it here. One, it's in the backstory, fifteen years prior, and it seems like XV may have the guts to actually explore it psychologically, and two - so far FFXV has shown us a lot of throwbacks to past FFs, paying homage and deconstructing the series formula - I'm eager to see what they'll do with the Princess archetype.

All things considered, though, we're all still making wild guesses here. I just can't wait for the game to come out so that I can play it and we can actually finally discuss the story for what it is rather than what we assume it to be.

Miriel
08-08-2015, 07:53 AM
I don't know what else you're supposed to do with a vague trailer but have wild speculations.

Formalhaut
08-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Vaan was never intended to be the main character, Formy :p

Maybe not officially, but he is prevalent in all the advertising and what have you. They certainly make you think he is the main character. I stand by my point regardless :p

As for my own personal opinion about the princess situation: I don't mind it. I agree with the majority of the women of this board that it is a highly questionable archetype which can very easily dissolve into a 'female victim' trope. However, if it is done well then it avoids that and can actually subvert the trope.

I really do have to mention FFXII here again. Ashe is effectively captured by Archadian forces, but then subverts the trope by busting out of jail. Granted, she did need the help of the others, but from that point on she took a decidedly leading role throughout much of the rest of the game, including that hilarious scene of her attempting to steal the Strahl. At no point did you really think Ashe was a victim during her capture.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt regarding this, anyway. It remains to be seen how this will pan out in the greater scheme of things.

Pheesh
08-10-2015, 03:04 AM
Oh, this ​thread is back. Awesome.

Jinx
08-10-2015, 03:15 AM

grandpasimpson.gif

Colonel Angus
08-10-2015, 03:35 AM

grandpasimpson.gif
http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ksgopjMw1rvn6njo1_400.gif

McLovin'
08-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Dat prelude theme..mmm

Sword
08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
EoFF you need to keep your SJWs on a tighter leash. Trailer was awful by the way.