PDA

View Full Version : Your Accent

Laddy
08-05-2015, 11:46 AM
How would you define your accent when speaking your first language? Has anyone considered it particularly noticeable?

I have a standard Midland American accent with some West Coast influence but I'm having a large amount of people notice English or French elements which is baffling to me, but considering I live in the South perhaps they're just getting their accents mixed up. I did some theater and broadcasting in high school and college which trained me to avoid anything overly regional developing.

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2015, 02:31 PM
I used to have the most major Southern accent ever.

According to my dad, our accent is really specific to the area of TN that I'm originally from. I worked really hard to get rid of it in high school though b/c I got made fun of over it often.

I didn't really think I had one anymore, but since I've moved to NYC it's always really obvious that I'm not a native when I talk.

It comes and goes. It gets more pronounced when I'm drunk tho xD

Psychotic
08-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I have what I consider to be a generic English accent, though not RP/BBC. I live in the middle of the country and so I have random features from different accents, so it's sort of hybrid in a way. As examples, I mostly (but sometimes switch!) use the short "a" sound (think jam) in words like grass and bath which is very much a northern feature. But then I also use the glottal stop and drop the t at the end of words like "what" and "not" which is a southern Estuary English London accent feature - think David Tennant's Doctor Who. People have a great deal of difficulty in placing what part of the country I'm from, which is amusing to me :shobon:

Pheesh
08-05-2015, 02:59 PM
It's Australian but not ocka, don't know how else to explain it.

Shauna
08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
My accent is pretty Glaswegian-lite, if you can dare to imagine such a thing. Not nearly as nasally and rough sounding as a true Glaswegian accent, since I was raised to speak proper.

Shorty
08-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Standard Western American, I'd say.

Old Manus
08-05-2015, 03:40 PM
I have a pretty distinct South Wales accent, though it's nowhere near as thick as what you'd find if you were to go deep into the valleys, where I guarantee most people would struggle to understand a word of it.

Sir Krelian
08-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I would say it sounds more like a prolonged belch than an accent.

Loony BoB
08-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Just u stundurd Nuw Zuulund uc:bou::bou::bou::bou:.

UDUT: Huhuhu, fultur.

escobert
08-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I have a very slight Vermont accent. the Vermont accent is pretty much dead though. I think once my grandfather generation dies, it'll be basically gone.

Fynn
08-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Can't really talk about Polish accents, since the language is really monolithic, but my English accent can be generally described as "American". I was taught early by New Yorkers, and then I had some more standard training during my studies, and then I did a lot of research on Southern accents, so that influenced me as well. A friend of mine that spent most of her life in the US said I sound Canadian :exdee:

sharkythesharkdogg
08-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I sound like a nerd.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Obviously, I don't have an accent. :cool:

Night Fury
08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Geordie with an Aussie twang, but people often think I sound Romanian or South African.

Kalevala
08-05-2015, 08:29 PM
This, according to Shorty.

dQSnua3M2lo

Psychotic
08-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Obviously, I don't have an accent. :cool:Always amuses me when Americans say this. You have a filthy yank accent the lot of you! Never forget your linguistic inferiority to the motherland!

Pumpkin
08-05-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a pretty neutral accent

Ayen
08-05-2015, 09:54 PM
My 'accent' has been compared to Africans, Asians, Sylvester Stallone, and Dusty Rhodes by multiple sources.

I didn't even know I had an accent!

Sephex
08-05-2015, 09:58 PM
I sound pretty boring. Midwestern with a trace of a Chicago accent. I don't sound like the Blues Brothers or anything, but apparently you can hear a bit of it when I speak. Just go to my YouTube channel and find a video with me talking in it to hear what I sound like or go to one of my Five Nights at Freddy's Let's Plays on here.

08-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Obviously, I don't have an accent. :cool:Always amuses me when Americans say this. You have a filthy yank accent the lot of you! Never forget your linguistic inferiority to the motherland!

Silly Brits, thinking they really gave anything to the language. You know, other than words.

Bri
08-06-2015, 01:01 AM
I have some kind of an accent. Though my fiance can understand me :)

Karifean
08-06-2015, 01:07 AM
My English is very American and as far as I know I don't have any particular accent beyond that.

On the other hand I've been told my German is very distinctly Austrian which is weird because it feels like the most natural thing in the world to talk like this >_>

escobert
08-06-2015, 01:59 AM
Here's a Vermont accent. The old man is Fred Tuttle he lived and was a farmer in the same town as my Father when I was growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MwICs8gIh4

Madame Adequate
08-06-2015, 04:27 AM
Some sort of weird pan-Atlantic accent, people can tell I've spent time in the US, but I'm pretty clearly Bong nonetheless. I'm from basically the same place as Pauw, but with a lot of Norn Iron as well, which throws another baseball bat into the works.

Shiny
08-06-2015, 06:01 AM
My real accent is strange and can never be pin-pointed. It's like a cross between North Carolina, Jersey, Nasal Congestion and News Reporter.

At some point during my childhood I was full on Florida accent and I think that can be attributed to some of the older members of my family's accents rubbing off on me. I pick up accents really quickly especially Midwestern, Californian and Southern accents. When I hang around certain people I start to talk like them. Gift but mostly a curse, halp!

Colonel Angus
08-06-2015, 06:35 AM
I sound pretty boring. Midwestern with a trace of a Chicago accent. I don't sound like the Blues Brothers or anything, but apparently you can hear a bit of it when I speak.
Same here, but mine's more nasal.

Sephex
08-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I sound pretty boring. Midwestern with a trace of a Chicago accent. I don't sound like the Blues Brothers or anything, but apparently you can hear a bit of it when I speak.
Same here, but mine's more nasal.

"[name] is being a real jeerkoaff today. Dude tried to steal my sasage!"

Pike
08-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Standard Western American. I think there is a slight Montana twang (different from the Southern twang) when I get loud.

I used to use a lot of Pacific Northwest-isms, as well as weird pronunciations from way up there in Puget Sound Land, but I trained myself out of a lot of those when I moved away as a kid and people started making fun of me. xD You never really realize you have an accent until you move away and people point it out to you.

Shorty
08-06-2015, 10:51 PM
This, according to Shorty.

dQSnua3M2lo

This exactly. You're an Irish Canadian Pikey Warlock.

I used to use a lot of Pacific Northwest-isms, as well as weird pronunciations from way up there in Puget Sound Land, but I trained myself out of a lot of those when I moved away as a kid and people started making fun of me. xD You never really realize you have an accent until you move away and people point it out to you.

Puget Sounders make a hard A for the wrong words like "bag". It turns into "bayeguh," and it is horrible.

Madame Adequate
08-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Norn Irish does the same so uh I think you're the horrible one.

Shorty
08-06-2015, 10:54 PM

They aren't Norn Irish, they are American Seattle-ites, which is why it is wrong.

Pike
Puget Sounders make a hard A for the wrong words like "bag". It turns into "bayeguh," and it is horrible.

Yeah "bayg" is one of the (many) things people made fun of me for and that I had to train myself out of. xD

Shorty

Yeah "bayg" is one of the (many) things people made fun of me for and that I had to train myself out of. xD

Sorry, I hope I didn't make you feel bayd xD :heart: all in good fun

Madame Adequate
08-06-2015, 10:55 PM

They aren't Norn Irish, they are American Seattle-ites, which is why it is wrong.

It's the exact same sound so if it's wrong for Seattle to do it, it's wrong for Belfast to do it. :colbert:

Shorty
08-06-2015, 10:56 PM

It's the exact same sound so if it's wrong for Seattle to do it, it's wrong for Belfast to do it. :colbert:

okay, it's wrong for all of you

08-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Having grown up in Washington, this whole 'bayg' thing is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist and you guys are just making it up.

Shorty
08-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Having grown up in Washington, this whole 'bayg' thing is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist and you guys are just making it up.

You're one of them! :argh:

Madame Adequate
08-06-2015, 11:00 PM

okay, it's wrong for all of you

wow that's just...

wow :cry:

08-06-2015, 11:01 PM
And damn proud of it.

Pike
08-06-2015, 11:05 PM

Where in Washington? I was a bit north of Seattle and everyone I know totally said it.

We also had (have?) a habit of dropping syllables out of words. Crayon -> Cran, Mayonnaise -> Man-aze, Caramel -> Car-mel. Actually I still say all those words like that and haters can get out :colbert:

Shorty
08-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Where in Washington? I was a bit north of Seattle and everyone I know totally said it.

We also had (have?) a habit of dropping syllables out of words. Crayon -> Cran, Mayonnaise -> Man-aze, Caramel -> Car-mel. Actually I still say all those words like that and haters can get out :colbert:

Aahhahaha these are all the same for Utah

I have been persecuted for saying "carmel" instead of "car-a-mel"

08-06-2015, 11:09 PM

I actually lived down south in Vancouver. So, practically P-Town. And the others you mention we definitely do, although caramel kind is a give and take. But I still don't think I have ever heard 'bayg', and I've been all over Washington and Oregon.

FFNut
08-06-2015, 11:54 PM
I have the very sexy and seductive mixed accents of Dutch German and West Coast Canadian.

Colonel Angus
08-07-2015, 01:30 AM
I thought everyone pronounces it manaze & carmel.

I've got some relatives who say ''warsh'' instead of ''wash''. my grandmother also says ''sangwich'' instead of sandwich & ''haych'' instead of ''aych''.

Dark_Valentine
08-07-2015, 02:18 AM
My accent is something like Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead, but with a little more southern twang. That's really the only way to describe it lol

Bubba
08-07-2015, 02:24 AM
I definitely sound Northern English but not scallyish. I think I speak quite eloquently only I have a tendency to mumble when I'm nervous, drunk or both.

starlet
08-08-2015, 04:47 AM
My accent is something like Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead, but with a little more southern twang. That's really the only way to describe it lol

CORAAAAAAAAL

I don't really have much of an accent. Maybe barely Midwest if anything.

Dark_Valentine
08-08-2015, 10:09 PM

CORAAAAAAAAL

I don't really have much of an accent. Maybe barely Midwest if anything.
Yes! I do say Carl like that sadly rofl

Rin Heartilly
08-22-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm Australian but my accent doesn't sound like it, I just sound really.....high pitched and lame.

Mr. Carnelian
08-25-2015, 11:12 PM
My accent's pretty much RP (i.e. posh). That's mostly to do with my education. I went to a private primary school, and a pretty middle-class grammar school at secondary level. My friends never cease to make fun of me for that. :p