PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Play?

Del Murder
08-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Do you play many games at once or do you complete one before moving on to the next? How do you decide which games to play? Do you switch between different genres or just play whatever is available? Do you like playing an entire series back to back or do you stagger it? Do you try to get the newest games right away or do you wait for price drops/reviews?

I tend to play one handheld and one console game at a time, and finish those games before moving to the next one. I also like to play a game of a different genre each time to keep things fresh. Also, since I play things so slowly I usually wait until games are out for a while before I get them. FF being the exception. :)

Pumpkin
08-05-2015, 08:56 PM
I play a lot of games at once because what I want to play is based heavily on my mood. But I try to limit myself to one game per console, although that doesn't always work. I used to just play as long as I felt like it and then switch it up but I've pushed myself to complete games this past year, so I'll play them to completion. I usually don't play series back to back, which is why my Suikoden Marathon is a thing, because it's not usually something I do. I tried a Xenosaga marathon a while ago and only made it halfway. As far as new games, it depends on cost and how excited I am for it. Like a lot of 3DS games were $40 new and it's over a year later and they're like $37, if I'm that excited I'll pick it up right away instead of waiting a year to save $3. If it's a game I'm kind of interested in but not super excited about I wait for price drop

Ayen
08-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Back before I did reviews I played what I wanted, when I wanted, and for as long as I wanted with no smurfs given on beating it because I didn't beat most games I played growing up because I sucked at most of them. Got whatever games looked interesting to me and played them until I got stuck on a part or actually beat it. Rarely got new games because my family was poor and we usually wait until the prices on stuff goes down.

Now I just choose shit at random out of my video game library and play them for a week.

black orb
08-05-2015, 11:24 PM
>>> I dont even have time to play VG anymore. :luca:

Formalhaut
08-05-2015, 11:33 PM
I tend to cap at 2 or 3, and I do try to stick to those 2 or 3 until I'm done with them.

I'm currently on three: Fable 2, Final Fantasy VI (Let's Play) and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

I have to say, it is unusual for me to play two games of the same series; I tend to stick to one Final Fantasy if I can, but VI and Tactics are very different, so it is okay.

Karifean
08-06-2015, 12:05 AM
With visual novels, I always read one at a time, with pretty much no exceptions. I always start up a new one when I'm done, and I read at a pretty solid and consistent pace. It's become a constant in my life at this point.

I only rarely play other games, and if I do it can be a couple of things.

Either it's something like an FF game, a game I play with extreme enthusiasm, taking up many hours a day until I'm done. This often happens when I return to a game with a lot of nostalgic value for me.

Or it's something more casual I play on occasion when I have the opportunity. I generally don't have multiple of those at a time, but there's very little consistency as to how often I play them.

Or it falls under the addictive time waster category, a collection of games I boot up probably multiple times a day just to play 30 minutes to an hour when I'm too restless to do anything less engaging. A lot of my daily free time is burned playing those.

With all of those as well as surfing the web and occasional whims not to mention university during the semester, I don't get around to playing actual new games often. For example, LR: FFXIII and FF Type-0 are still sitting on my shelf untouched since a few days after launch day and I still intend to play them at some point, but I lack the motivation to actually get started.

Anzai
08-07-2015, 08:48 AM
I tend to obsess over a single game at a time, completing the main story and most of the side-content before moving on. Sometimes I'll alternate regularly between a console and a handheld, mostly for occasions when a console must be shared. Buying new games is an uncommon occasion that is saved until I'm ready to start a new one.... For that matter its a bit out of character to jump at new releases due to low budget. Of course sometimes the price simply will not drop far enough to make the wait worth it so I'll snatch it immediately.

Pike
08-07-2015, 11:42 AM
If it's something particularly story heavy I'll play one of those at a time. Otherwise I tend to juggle between three or four games at any given moment. Often it's one story based game and then a bunch of stuff like strategy games, MMOs or other "pick up and go" type games.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2015, 12:25 PM
I tend to pick one game, and focus all my rage at it.