PDA

View Full Version : Laptop suggestions

Colonel Angus
08-07-2015, 05:34 AM
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'd like something where I can surf the webz & do a bit of gaming. I'm thinking of spending something around $1k-1.5k range. I asked my cousin & everything he suggested cost much higher.

Thanks in advance.

Pheesh
08-07-2015, 06:49 AM
I love my Alienware m17x r4, it cost me a little over your price range but it has an SSD in it and I bought it about 3 years ago now, it is still able to run basically every current game on highest settings as well. One thing I will say is avoid Radeon switchable graphics, they have caused me (and a lot of other people, judging by research I've done) more than a few headaches that as far as I'm aware do not appear in laptops that use nVidia.

Spuuky
08-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Honestly it doesn't matter that much what you get, as long as it has an SSD and a discrete graphics card.

What size are you looking for? This is the biggest question that people don't seem to think of until they're looking at them.

Also, how much storage do you need? Would you prefer to spend closer to $1500 for a nicer one, or closer to $1000 for just a good one? Here's a random example of a good PC near the higher end of your range, if you are looking on the smaller/lighter side but not full ultrabook or actual super-light machine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152623

I personally like this series a lot in the lower end of your price range, here's an example of it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-314-545

But again things are different if you want a "big" laptop, these are focused on the smaller side.

Mirage
08-08-2015, 12:46 AM
define "a bit of gaming". Do you want to play the newest call of modern battlefield: hardwar 4 at 1080p 60fps, or do you want to play idk, civilization 5

Colonel Angus
08-08-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm going to go w/ this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/2995081.p?id=1219567191152&skuId=2995081

It's not the highest end tech, but I really can't afford anything w/ an ssd right now. Everything I saw was over 2k. I think it should play what I want pretty well (ff games on steam, etc.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Spuuky
08-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm going to go w/ this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/2995081.p?id=1219567191152&skuId=2995081

It's not the highest end tech, but I really can't afford anything w/ an ssd right now. Everything I saw was over 2k. I think it should play what I want pretty well (ff games on steam, etc.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)That's a 5400RPM conventional drive and it will cut your laptop performance by 70% or more compared to an SSD.

Mirage
08-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Only when launching programs and starting the machine, or loading levels. The machine has enough RAM to cache most stuff that will be used past that.

Besides, he can always upgrade it with an SSD later.

Colonel Angus
08-08-2015, 09:05 PM
:omgomg: I've got my new one charging right now! I also upgraded my router & got an external hd to save photos & junk so I don't have to transfer stuff from the ol' one to this.

Only when launching programs and starting the machine, or loading levels. The machine has enough RAM to cache most stuff that will be used past that.

Besides, he can always upgrade it with an SSD later.
Yeah, when I found that out, it didn't bother me much to be w/o it for now. Anyway, almost anything is better than the ol' dinosaur.

For the type of games I'd use it for (ff games, etc.), the 8g should be enough. That can also be expanded, if necessary.

:omgomg:

Colonel Angus
08-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Just loaded Office 2013 & Kaspersky internet security on this thing & noticed some screen burn. Also, the color has a horrible yellow tint. IDK what settings I could adjust, or if I have to bring it back to the store. Any help would be appreciated.

Mirage
08-09-2015, 03:32 AM
whatever it is, it's not screen burn. that doesn't happen on LCDs, much less new ones.

Colonel Angus
08-09-2015, 04:46 AM
whatever it is, it's not screen burn. that doesn't happen on LCDs, much less new ones.
Also, screen burn happens over a long period of time, not a few minutes.

It's funny, because it would layer one over another, so there'd be a shadow of one window over another, over another. It was like a purple ghost haunting me.