PDA

View Full Version : Your Greatest Gaming Accomplishment!

Wolf Kanno
08-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Whether it's beating Battletoads on one life or accomplishing everything in an MMO. What are some of your proudest gaming accomplishments?

Fynn
08-07-2015, 06:40 AM
I was always really proud of beating FFIV DS and FFXII. Also, I still can't believe I beat half the bosses I did in SMT: Strange Journey.

Karifean
08-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Beating Kaizo Mario 100% without savestates. It took a long time.

Bubba
08-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Probably completing A Link to the Past 100% in 3 hours 45 minutes. I know there are much faster times out there but I'm still pretty proud of that.

This may have been superseded by my effort of completing all 96 levels of Super Mario World without dying once. I actually had 91 levels done (including all Star and Special Road) but I was killed in the run up to Bowsers Castle by one of those fucking Monty Moles. Fuming.

I also ran through all the 150cc Super Mario Kart Grand Prix (Mushroom, Flower, Star & Special) and came first in all 20 races.

Pike
08-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Beating Deus Ex without killing anyone except like two people who were essential to the story.

Being in the top 0.1% high scores worldwide for Pac-Man Championship Editon DX (on one course).

Having a really successful and widely read WoW blog for a while.

Anzai
08-07-2015, 12:38 PM
I can't help doubting any of these deserve to be called great accomplishments, seeing how I've never done speedruns or major high scores, yet several occasions of managing to defeat a Megaten boss with some real flair come to mind.... with SMT Nocturne Hard Mode I came close to killing Matador, Unofficial Mascot of Wake-Up Call Bosses on my first attempt, second was the charm. May not sound like much but I recall it taking most other players many more tries.

On a more clearly remembered, and hilarious, note I made Polaris of Devil Survivor 2 King-Maker Route practically kill himself for me in phase 3 of the fight. After rendering his Bounty Spear limb helpless via spawncamp, I approach his main body with Repel Phys and Victory Cry on the Protagonist and two Repel Phys modified demons. Then just sat there tanking his Wave Motion Gun with my face, healing/regenerating, and watching Cepheid backfire until a reflected volley ended Polaris.

Lucifer in SMT IV suffered a similar trick. A dialogue tree comes up after casting Tetrakarn in my party, so I pick the choice I know will piss him off. After responding to his question of who I fight for as a Chaos aligned person would, The Morning Star flips his trout on my lawful(I am not proud of this alignment) ass, gains two extra press turns... and immediately blows himself up when his Hades Blast bounced off my Tetrakarn. Lucifer's turn automatically ends and gives my entire party gains Smirk status... We proceed to double the damage Lucifer inflicted on himself. It was glorious.

Randy
08-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Beating all of the super bosses in FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10?

Lot of time and energy went into that one.

Pumpkin
08-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Just beating a game, really. I used to never do that, I'd usually get up to the final dungeon and then quit and lately I have been pushing myself to finish them and I have!

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2015, 05:25 PM
There was a friend of mine in middle school/high school who was on one of those Nintendo Power Fest teams back in the early '90s. I'm pretty sure it was the Typhoons.

After that, Nintendo would occasionally send him different competition carts, and he would get his name in Nintendo Power every so often for winning certain competitions they had set up.

What made me happy was that I could match him for certain things like DKC speed runs, or setting fast times in certain Mario 64 challenges, or things like that.

He was really good, so it always made me pleased that he said I was a good challenge and good to practice with when getting ready for competitions.

Pete for President
08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Speedrunning Dark Souls in 3:20-ish hours (which is nowhere near the record but still proud!). Also beating a hacker or two in PvP.

Getting all the ultimate weapons in X and beating Penance without using Zanmato.

Won an hour and a half long game of DOTA 2 against all odds.

Caught about 143 Pokémon in Blue.

Getting GTA Vice City 100%. Twice. :shifty:

FFNut
08-08-2015, 10:17 PM
As a chip beating Super Mario world for the first time. As a teen if people ever got Nintendo Power the section where they would give you a challenge like fewest steps to Mog in FF VI, or things like that meeting or matching what others were able to get as a top score. As an adult, finding time to enjoy a game and beating it.