PDA

View Full Version : I finally bought a Wii U console.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Here's a picture in case you're confused about what the Wii U console is.

Anyway, I bought myself a Wii U just recently because my per-capita check came in on August 8th, and I needed to spend it quickly because the last time I cashed my per-capita and left it in my checking account, a social worker complained about all the money that was in my credit card and threatened to take my monthly social security checks away from me...So, it went into my mother's checking account and she promptly proceeded to spend all of my money. That was two summers ago. Last summer, I bought myself a nice big Element Electronics Television set, and this year I bought myself a Nintendo Wii U console, so I could download Earthbound Beginnings (NES) and Earthbound (SNES) on the Nintendo eShop...Eventually. ;)

There's a lot of good games on the Nintendo eShop for the Wii U. And I can't wait to play them. :D

Colonel Angus
08-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Congrats! On 9/11 be sure to pick up Super Mario Maker. #NeverForget

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Congrats! On 9/11 be sure to pick up Super Mario Maker. #NeverForget

That's one day before my birthday. I was born on September 12th by the way. :D

Anyway, I sure as hell will get Super Mario Maker on 9/11. ;)

fat_moogle
08-09-2015, 10:31 AM
I bought a Wii U for my sister last Christmas. I got Mario Kart 8 with it, and that's the only game we've got for it lol. Project Zero comes out on the eshop in October though, so I'll be sure to get that!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
You know, I just learned today that the Wii U still has access to the original Wii Virtual Console. You just have to click on a digital button on the gamepad, that says "Wii" and it'll take you to the original Wii menu spot and in that menu spot there's a little window that says, "Wii Shop Channel" and they still have two of the best RPGs ever made in Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars and Chrono Trigger.

Mirage
08-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Mario Kart 8 is the thing to get for the WiiU. Ask anyone.

Skyblade
08-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Must buy Wii U games:

Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Splatoon

Games worth getting:

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Nintendo Land
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Upcoming titles to watch out for:

Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Wooly World
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Star Fox Zero

Mirage
08-09-2015, 04:13 PM
see even skyblade agrees

Formalhaut
08-09-2015, 04:19 PM
The Wii U is sort of that console that I kind of want but can never quite justify it. I mean, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and The Wind Waker are tempting games but I'm not sure it is enough to warrant an entire console. That, and me and Mr. Carny are thinking of getting a PS4 together, and stretching a second console is pushing it.

Mirage
08-09-2015, 04:32 PM
you're forgetting some important things:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out in a few months.
2. the first Xenoblade game for the Wii is now on the WiiU e-shop for europe.
3. You'll get another new zelda next year

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Mario Kart 8 is the thing to get for the WiiU. Ask anyone.

I'm only a causal Mario Kart racing fan but I guess I'll get it. No harm in having a racing game around the house. ^^;

Shauna
08-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Yoshi's Wooly World is already out! And it is adorable

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-09-2015, 11:25 PM
The Wii U is sort of that console that I kind of want but can never quite justify it. I mean, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and The Wind Waker are tempting games but I'm not sure it is enough to warrant an entire console. That, and me and Mr. Carny are thinking of getting a PS4 together, and stretching a second console is pushing it.

If you want the Wii U and decide not to get it, eventually Nintendo will reach a point where they'll discontinue the model of Wii U that's backwards compatible with the original Wii and they'll make a model 2, Wii U, that'll only play Wii U games. It happened with the original Nintendo Wii console. After a while the original Nintendo Wii lost GameCube support because Nintendo of America wanted to cut down on production costs. Eventually they'll decide to cut down on production costs with the Wii U, too. Which is a shame. Unless of course, you don't care the original Wii games, then of course that won't matter to you at all. :|

Mirage
08-09-2015, 11:42 PM
That's not entirely accurate. the original Wii lost backwards compatibility only because it did no longer have an optical drive that could read Gamecube discs. Gamecube discs are different in two ways: First, they are half-size discs which you generally have to specifically design a drive to support, especially when it is a slot drive. Second, the data on gamecube discs is stored in the reverse direction, so the disc physically spins the "wrong" way in order to be able to read the format. None of these two are the case for the Wii and WiiU. Even without official BC on the latest Wii machines, the hardware inside them still support the execution of gamecube code. All you have to do is hack the console in a way that allows you to feed it with gamecube software.

Even if the WiiU did lose the capacity to read Wii discs (highly unlikely), the console still has the ability to play Wii games (and indeed, gamecube games too if you hack the Wii-mode of the WiiU). The WiiU has no need for physical discs to acquire Wii games, as these can be distributed digitally, so the situation at hand is very different.

In addition to this, I think nintendo consoles are so starved for software that they can't afford to not include bakcwards compatibility.

Colonel Angus
08-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Yoshi's Wooly World is already out! And it is adorable
Did you guys get first dibs on that, because I think in des etats Unis it's still not released.

Shauna
08-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Really? I did not know that. xD

Oh well.

Mirage
08-10-2015, 09:09 AM
we seem to be getting a lot of dibs on nintendo things lately. they don't even have xenoblade on the eshop there yet.

Zanmato
08-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Maybe I'm gonna piss some Nintendo fans here, but I have to tell you one thing...
This big-ass "controller" is the worst one in the whole world.
How can you play games using this?!

PlayStation controllers are the most comfortable among the others to me.
I'm not the Sony fanboy anymore, it's an honest statement based on my experience with other consoles.

The only good controllers from Nintendo are NES, SNES and Gameboy (it's not a controller, but it has a great buttons mapping and I simply love it) only.

This one definitely looks like big-ass DS/3DS (I like them, but they're not very comfortable to me though), which is a disaster.
It's simply too big to me, that's all.

Nintendo has great exclusives, but their console designs are 50/50 actually, that's the main issue IMHO.

Shauna
08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
The gamepad is surprisingly comfortable to hold. I thought it'd be terrible, but it ended up not too bad.

Mirage
08-10-2015, 05:56 PM
It is terrible :|

I never use it unless the god damn console forces me to.

The WiiU pro controller, however, is probably one of the most comfortable controllers I have used. It's certainly better than the DS4 in terms of ergonomics.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Does anybody know how many Wii U games support that function where somebody could watch TV on the television set and the gamer could still play the game on the Wii U gamepad?

Sephex
08-10-2015, 10:05 PM
The controller is comfortable and easy to use for me. I've played tons of games using the Wii U Pad and I have had zero problems. That being said the Pro controller does indeed rule.

Mirage
08-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Does anybody know how many Wii U games support that function where somebody could watch TV on the television set and the gamer could still play the game on the Wii U gamepad?

Almost all WiiU games can be played on the gamepad alone. All virtual console ones too. It's really cumbersome with Wii games though.

Colonel Angus
08-11-2015, 12:24 AM
I love using the gamepad. Sometimes, I prefer to just use that, whether I have something else on the tube or not.

Mirage
08-11-2015, 12:29 AM
I mostly just use it when i video chat. Which is a pretty high quality video chat btw, and drawing on people's faces never gets old.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2015, 02:52 AM
You know, I heard Batman: Arkham Origins is the least buggy on the Wii U, however Warner Bros. Games Montreal refused to release the Mr. Freeze DLC for Arkham Origins on the Wii U.

Colonel Angus
08-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Most third party devs don't do dlc on the wii u. Even when there's dlc on other platforms, it's not offered on the wii u version.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2015, 07:13 PM
I recently bought a hardcover for my Wii U gamepad, and I didn't know what to do with it at first but I made some calls and I found out that it's for display purposes only. It's to protect the front of the Wii U gamepad, when you're not using it and the extra styluses are just for show, as well. :)

Pumpkin
08-11-2015, 07:22 PM
There's actually a lot of games I want on the WiiU but we have more important costs and we were thinking of a PS4 for Christmas. I have heard you can trade in your Wii for a WiiU and still play all of the games and get a small discount, so that should help. We got our Wii like a year ago for like $20-30 or something.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about playing the Lego Batman Trilogy on the Wii U. Because the original Wii version of Lego Batman works on the Wii U console and there's Wii U versions of Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes and Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham.