PDA

View Full Version : Most useless spell

FFNut
08-10-2015, 04:21 PM
If you were to look at all the FF's out there that the series has given its name to, what was in your opinion the most useless spell? Would it be something like float? Or what about Fire? Or would you go into the blue Mage book and pick explode? Let the debate begin!

Shorty
08-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Float sucks and so does Berserk.

Anzai
08-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Decoy in FFXII was the single most worthless spell in the series for me. The accursed thing 'misses' half the time, and even when the status is applied, it fails to do the one thing it advertises 70% of the time. Even half the use I got out of Berserk outclasses this waste of MP.

Saber
08-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Berserk sometimes up's your attack power. It's really good for characters that just use Attack.

I would have to say Goblin Punch at first thought.

Formalhaut
08-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Decoy does have use. Granted, it does have a bad hit rate, but with an Indigo Pendent it goes up to 100%. Honestly, Vanish magick is fairly useless. What really is it good for?

FFNut
08-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Decoy does have use. Granted, it does have a bad hit rate, but with an Indigo Pendent it goes up to 100%. Honestly, Vanish magick is fairly useless. What really is it good for?

Try Vanish then doom. Insta wins in VI.

Vermachtnis
08-12-2015, 01:52 AM

It makes you immune to physical and all magic will connect. Also, Berserk with Haste is pretty mean.

Demi and the like are pretty dumb. Does 1/4 damage! 1/2 damage, 3/4! Alright boss, you're going down! [IMMUNE] Oh, I can only use it on the cute woodland animals outside the first town.

black orb
08-12-2015, 03:42 AM
>>> Float is very useful in FFT I think, I loved berserk on FFx and FFX-2.
The Null fire, ice, etc. magics are kind of useless because they last like 2 turn or something.:luca:

VeloZer0
08-12-2015, 06:05 AM
I don't know about the FFTA games, but float isn't particularly useful in FFT. I think the best use of it is against environmental effects, like the Underworld caves in FF4.

As for most useless spell, take your pick of all the ones from the NES days that don't even work. :lol:

Formalhaut
08-12-2015, 05:05 PM

It makes you immune to physical and all magic will connect.

In FFXII, it merely removes 'vision' as a way for monsters to detect and then target you. Other monsters can detect you by sound, your health or magicks. Only a few enemy types are thus susceptible to Vanish. And to be honest, if you need to beat a path through very dangerous territory, you may as well just leg it with 'Flee'.

I agree though, Gravity magic is pretty terrible, as so many creatures are immune to it. Float is of situational use in FFXII, due to traps.

Depression Moon
08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
The only near useless spell I've seen named here is Goblin Punch. Berserk is great if you know how to use it properly. Float is useful if you want to beat the Brothers in Final Fantasy VIII, avoid Hildegigas earthquake in IX, and to avoid traps in XII. Vanish makes you immune to physical attacks and makes enemies 100% to any spell.

For me Goblin Punch and Jewel are the only ones I find bordering on useless territory.

theundeadhero
08-13-2015, 12:11 AM
In FFIV, when you're in the underworld to go get Rydia, float not only makes you immune to the floor damage, you also don't take the damage from the quake spell (or whatever that spider enemy's version is called) which makes that cave easymode.

Wolf Kanno
08-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Exploder is the only spell/ability in the series I have yet to find some useful exploit for. There is a reason it's been slowly weaned out of the Blue Mage repertoire.

Saber
08-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Exploder is the only spell/ability in the series I have yet to find some useful exploit for. There is a reason it's been slowly weaned out of the Blue Mage repertoire.

There was a few bosses in FF where I would KO 2 or 3 members just to win. It really isn't needed on field monsters though. Still Kamikaze has it's effectiveness towards bosses.

I always had a problem with the L2 L3 L4 L5 spells. I mean, they are usually powerful but not much better then end game equips. I don't know monster levels :down:

Laddy
08-14-2015, 10:19 PM
A lot of the spells in FFXII are interesting and have unique uses, especially Arcane magic. But Decoy is awful.

A lot of Blue Magic is lame too. Goblin Punch or Magic Hammer, for example. Roulette, however, might be the only spell that is worse than useless. There is almost always more party members than enemies in any given battle, giving you about a 20-40% chance of attaining a neutral or better effect and a lot of the times the enemies that you would actually use it on, like bosses, are almost always immune to it. It's the only spell that, by circumstance, is more likely to harm your characters than help them.

Pete for President
08-17-2015, 11:45 PM

Berserk is actually really OP in XII and combined with haste it will wreck everything until the game cheats and pulls a paling out of it's bum.

I've always found poison very situational and overall rather useless.

Raistlin
08-18-2015, 01:11 AM
If I can go game-specific, Vanish was absolutely worthless in FFXII.

If I have to consider the whole series, I don't think I ever really used Poison much in any game. Float is pretty lame overall, too.

A lot of the spells in FFXII are interesting and have unique uses, especially Arcane magic. But Decoy is awful.

I have no idea what you guys are doing complaining about Decoy in FFXII. Its misses are very mildly annoying, but it otherwise works pretty well.

NeoCracker
08-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Poison is probably the only entirely worthless spell, at least up until XIII.

VI there was PUnbaba who was weak to it, but you already have Bio by then.

Berserk is fantastic in FF IV, pair with Haste to auto-win basically most fights.

Float is situational, but great when it does come in handy.

Formalhaut
08-18-2015, 10:42 PM
I have no idea what you guys are doing complaining about Decoy in FFXII. Its misses are very mildly annoying, but it otherwise works pretty well.

Yeah, Decoy was great. The hit rate was shoddy at best, but with an indigo pendant that turns to a 100% rate and works very well with a tank at the front. Seriously, the Indigo Pendant is one of the best accessories in the game.

As for Poison, it is very situational. I agree; it is far better in FFXIII, and even then only for enemies with long health bars due to the way it functions in that game (like Sap, in FFXII). Still, for lengthy battles, it is worth sticking.

Saber
08-19-2015, 04:11 PM
I see many people say poison is worthless. I don't think it's all too bad and helps quite a bit. There is something I think is pointless but others may have use for it... http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Poisona Poisona! I mean we got Esuna why would we need a spell for just 1 status alignment. I don't use it ever.

FFNut
08-19-2015, 04:26 PM
I see many people say poison is worthless. I don't think it's all too bad and helps quite a bit. There is something I think is pointless but others may have use for it... http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Poisona Poisona! I mean we got Esuna why would we need a spell for just 1 status alignment. I don't use it ever.

Not to mention you can buy a potion for curing that for pennies on the Gil, not to mention it is a common enemy drop.

Randy
08-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Isn't one of the black magic spells in FF9 actually officially broken? I think it's "Comet"? Or did I just not understand how it worked.