Espionage RPG
Prehistoric RPG
Horror RPG
Wild West RPG
Shipwrecked RPG
African-Themed Fantasy RPG
WWII RPG
Gangster RPG

What are some themes that make for especially interesting setting but remain underutilized?

Randy
08-19-2015, 06:44 AM
Pretty much every theme except the Tolkien-inspired medieval fantasy really. I guess there's quite a lot of Star Wars inspired sci-fi at this point too.

I like the wild west suggestion though.
The african-inspired thing has been used in quite a few games actually. Hunter-gatherer african tribes are a fairly common area theme in some games (I'm thinking of that village in FF12 for example of the people wearing masks). When you do that sort of thing nowadays though you often get accused of racist stereotyping.

FFNut
08-19-2015, 06:54 AM
I like the medieval theme quite a bit. Dint really like a modern theme as it doesn't feel like a true RPG to me. I'd like to see a prehistoric, or a underground world themed used more.

Del Murder
08-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Prehistoric or African Fantasy would be cool. Also a superhero RPG would be fun, set in a Marvel or DC modern world with various metahumans about.

Although it's been done a few times, I think free exploration of alternate dimensions is also a theme that is underutilized in RPGs.

Randy
08-20-2015, 11:29 AM
alternate dimensions is also a theme that is underutilized in RPGs.

Say whatttttt?

Mirage
08-20-2015, 02:56 PM
I like the medieval theme quite a bit. Dint really like a modern theme as it doesn't feel like a true RPG to me.

That's the weirdest thing I've read all day.

Say whatttttt?

yeah, i see this literally all the time

Laddy
08-20-2015, 04:29 PM
When I think African Fantasy I think medieval, urbanized Africa. Sprawling Malian libraries, Zulu warlords, Moroccan bazaars, Zimbabwean towers, Swahili coral fortresses combined with African folklore and legend. Sorcerers and the like.

The Nightfall campaign if Guild Wars is a nice example.

Mr. Carnelian
08-25-2015, 10:21 PM
I was worried to put anything. I expect people will just bombard me with examples of how this theme is actually really common in RPGs. :p

But, nevertheless, I wouldn't say no to seeing a bit more of the 'Flat world' theme in RPGs.

Also, time-travel isn't an uncommon theme, but I really like it. So, more of that as well, please. :)

Fynn
08-26-2015, 06:28 AM
I was worried to put anything. I expect people will just bombard me with examples of how this theme is actually really common in RPGs. :p

But, nevertheless, I wouldn't say no to seeing a bit more of the 'Flat world' theme in RPGs.

Also, time-travel isn't an uncommon theme, but I really like it. So, more of that as well, please. :)

Play Golden Sun for the former, and Chrono Trigger for the latter :p

Wolf Kanno
09-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Horror and Espionage would be pretty tricky to pull off since one really involves atmosphere while the other involves a level of physicality not normally seen in the genre. An Action-RPG could suffice but it would really throw off people as if it embraces their sub-genre too much you'll basically get Stealth/Horror game with RPG elements or a really weird RPG that fails to live up to the sub-genre because RPG mechanics get in the way. Like the other thread, I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would have to come up with a unique gameplay experience that can rectify some of these elements.

Vyk
09-09-2015, 01:55 AM
I like the medieval theme quite a bit. Dint really like a modern theme as it doesn't feel like a true RPG to me.

That's the weirdest thing I've read all day.
Outside of Earthbound fans, I regularly see this perception as well. I'm intrigued by the idea, but I haven't enjoyed any games that utilized it. I am not an Earthbound fan

Say whatttttt?

yeah, i see this literally all the time
Where are you guys playing all these games where you hop from dimension to dimension? The only Sliders-esque game I can think of to utilize something like this is Tales of Xillia 2, maybe I just haven't been exposed enough lol

Though I'd appreciate some suggestions, because I think the idea is interesting

Mirage
09-09-2015, 02:21 AM
you said alternate dimensions, not hopping between them constantly :p

FF11 has different dimensions, maybe four if you're generous (normal, dynamis, abyssea, al'taieu). Then there's Chrono cross, Xillia 2 (as you said), FF13-2, Ocarina of time (not an rpg but still), world of warcraft.

Parallel timelines is pretty much the same as alternate dimension, at least as a plot device or whatever.

Vyk
09-09-2015, 03:22 AM
Parallel timelines is pretty much the same as alternate dimension, at least as a plot device or whatever.
Pretty much my thoughts on it as well. I should really look into the sequels to 13 someday

Colonel Angus
09-09-2015, 04:24 AM
Pretty much every theme except the Tolkien-inspired medieval fantasy really. I guess there's quite a lot of Star Wars inspired sci-fi at this point too.

I like the wild west suggestion though.
The african-inspired thing has been used in quite a few games actually. Hunter-gatherer african tribes are a fairly common area theme in some games (I'm thinking of that village in FF12 for example of the people wearing masks). When you do that sort of thing nowadays though you often get accused of racist stereotyping.
I thought they were based off of Native Americans.

FFXII is filled w/ ethnic inspirations. The Arcadian Aristocracy is definitely Highfalutin English. Lower class characters have various other British dialects. The Arcadian Socio-Political system is American. The Rabanastrians are Middle Eastern in style. Al-Cid is somewhat Italian.

Laddy
09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah The Garif were definitely more Native Amerian, especially Sioux, in their influence.