PDA

View Full Version : Good Vita Games

Pumpkin
08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
So I am at the end of Ys: Memories of Celceta but I have been putting off finishing it because I don't want it to end ;_; but once it has ended, I will have played all of my Vita games! I just ordered Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster, but that won't be here for a while. But that will only be one not played game on my Vita

I really love the Vita and using it, so I would like to find more games for it! I've looked at some but am unsure if they're my type of game or worth a try. So any recommendations with a little bit of explanation as to what they are and why they're good would be very helpful!

I have
Persona 4 Golden
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess BlackHeart
Hyperdimension Neptunia PP
Tales of Hearts R

Fynn
08-15-2015, 06:45 PM
The two Danganronpa games are a must-have on Vita.

They're like Ace Attorney! Only much better :3:

Bright Shield
08-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Muramasa Rebirth - The most beautiful action side scroller ever made.

Mind Zero - Kind of a Persona rip off. Dungeons are in first person like P1.

Bolivar
08-16-2015, 06:39 AM
My favorite original Vita game might be Little Big Planet, it's my favorite entry in the series. Incorporates both the front and rear touch interfaces well and the mini-games make for the most innovative uses of a handheld I've ever seen. There's local multiplayer games, where two people hold the Vita between them and use the buttons on either side to play games like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, Air Hockey, etc.

I didn't like FFX HD all that much. The sound quality isn't great and the detail gap between the main characters and the supporting cast is really jarring. If you're into MGS, the HD remasters are very well done and look great on Vita.

Where the system really shines are the smaller downloadable/indie titles. The OLED screens makes their colors really pop and the shorter sticks are actually better for their twitchy gameplay. They also lend themselves to shorter burst of play, making them less of a commitment than some of the RPGs you might be looking at. They're also great palette cleansers for those titles, making the Vita a great system to have a "rotation." It's no surprise you can discover a lot of them by searching for #BestonVita on Twitter. Some standout titles:

Rogue Legacy - a classic 2D platformer "rogue-lite" - the game space is procedurally generated and when your character dies, that's it. The twist is you then get to select a character in the next generation of their family tree, keeping their gear and some of their gold to buy upgrades for your next playthrough. Each new character has a different RPG class archetype and a genetic trait/quirk that can help or hinder your playthrough but always keeps things interesting. The trick is to go a little bit farther each time to continue upgrading your gear until you're eventually able to beat the game. Tight gameplay, good sense of humor, and very addicting. It's hard not to keep going for just one more run.

Pixeljunk Monsters - cute tower defense game, from the creator of Starfox. It gets pretty challenging but the learning curve is very reasonable.

Stealth Inc. - 2D platformer/puzzler game that focuses on Stealth. It's similar to Portal in that you're in a test facility that wants you to keep progressing through traps and challenges, throwing comical jabs at you each time you fail.

Hotline Miami - top down beat 'em up that made many Game of the Year lists when it was released. Unbelievable soundtrack and a very postmodern story that you more or less need to break down for yourself to understand.

Velocity 2X - it's technically a shoot 'em up but it also incorporates puzzles, navigation and encourages speedrunning through its levels. It's very colorful and fun, with a great female protagonist. Definitely look up some videos on it - it can look really intense and twitchy but don't be intimidated, it's intended to be easy to learn, hard to master.

OlliOlli - a sidescrolling skateboarding game similar to Tony Hawk where you combine grinds and tricks while gathering collectables through its levels. The sequel added in manualing, allowing level-long tricks, that might be the ideal jumping point.

Also know most if not all of these games are cross-buy, meaning you also get the native version on PS3 or PS4 if you guys get one, to play at home between taking it on the go for portable sessions.