PDA

View Full Version : Fear the Walking Dead

Del Murder
08-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Starting a new thread for this spinoff series. I saw the trailer for it and it looks great. Very cool that they are focusing (at least at first) on the outbreak which was washed over in TWD during Rick's coma. Some of the initial reactions were very interesting. Also it allows for a bigger cast and more opportunities for big zombie bloodbaths.

I'm stoked about this series because I think with a blank slate they will learn from the many mistakes made with TWD. Anyone else excited about this? Premiere is next week.

Psychotic
08-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I hadn't even heard of this. Sounds interesting though. I thought the best moment in TWD was the desperate last stand and escape from Herschel's farm rather than the "here's the latest group of survivors who want to murder the trout out of Rick and the gang" flavour of the season so if this is going to be about zombies rather than "humans are the real monsters!!!!" then I'm all for it.

Freya
08-24-2015, 05:49 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/N73dTcfZesyGI/giphy.gif

I enjoyed it! It was definitely a slow burn. I kept thinking everyone was a zombie. Like the principal. Or well, everyone was.

I like the extra drama added in with the family, I feel like it makes me connect to the characters and this new descent into madness and crazy that will happen.

Bear McCreary isn't the composer on this one but I did like the score. It built up a lot of tension.

Del Murder
08-24-2015, 06:04 PM
I wasn't that impressed. The pacing was bad, so they haven't learned from that. They tried too much to make clear that this is normal every day life and no one gets what's happening. Yes, we get it. They also haven't learned from killing the black guys first. And you can't even use the 'this is the deep south and killing black people is just what they do there' excuse in this one either.

There were a couple of great scenes like with the youtube footage or the very last scene where they were all WTF at Calvin but most of the best stuff was in the trailer and honestly I didn't come away from that 90 minute episode with any more value than I got from watching the 6 minute trailer.

Also, the actor playing that kid is terrible. Why the hell is he walking like a zombie the whole time? I get that he's a junkie but I don't think junkies just walk like that all the time. I actually like the mom and step dad though. Maybe the kids will get eaten. Teenagers are such assholes.

One good thing about this prequel of sorts is that it has to progress quickly. I mean, Rick was in a coma for like a couple days? A week tops? And he wakes up to zombie armageddon. So if this starts just prior to Rick's accident then it should quickly escalate. I guess they wanted a 'real life' episode just to show everything that will be crumbling down very soon. Can't blame them too much for that.

Freya
08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Well, he did get hit by a car.... In the beginning, he was walking funny because he was coming down off a heroin high. From what I understand, that's kinda normal. Then after that, he had bruised ribs and stuff so I think that was why there was a limp.

Del Murder
08-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Oh, that was supposed to be a limp. It looked like he was trying to walk like a zombie.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-24-2015, 07:00 PM
I really enjoyed the first episode and i'm glad it feels different from the mother show. I think people were cautious at first. They didn't just want to see "The Walking Dead: West Coast". It's a great idea to be able to explore the origins of the outbreak, especially in a city that has millions of people.

We get to see a world where people are just getting into this mess and they have no instruction manual. As of yet there's no one shouting "Remove the head or destroy the brain!". Unlike the experience of the first show, the audience knows more than the characters do now.

I really liked the church scenes. The tagged walls, the dark halls, the piano on the stairs, the only source of light being the yellow peering in through the windows which elucidate the dust flying around. I enjoy shots of abandoned places so the set was ideal for me.

What we've gathered so far is that the show is going to be about this broken family, and how the end of the world will bring them together. I can appreciate a story like that. If I did have one complaint though, it would be that they laid on the "you're not my dad!" a little too thick.

The exact amount of time Rick was in a coma is undetermined, but most gather it was at least a month or so, based on some things said by Morgan and Jenner at the CDC. The flowers next to his hospital bed had time to wilt, the army militarized the hospital, etc. There was a decent amount of time that went by.

Bubba
08-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Was really excited for this series but it turns out Sky didn't purchase the rights to it. It's only being shown on BT here in the UK which means I can't watch it.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-24-2015, 07:05 PM
I also got a little chuckle when the girl texted "You better be dead!" when her boyfriend stood her up.

Be careful what you wish for.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I just hope that this new series doesn't have a character as stupid, hypocritical, and downright troutty as Lori was in the original. I can't even rewatch the first two and a half seasons anymore because of her.

Crop
08-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Was really excited for this series but it turns out Sky didn't purchase the rights to it. It's only being shown on BT here in the UK which means I can't watch it.

The channel hasn't launched here yet, the show is on the 31st. If you have the BT sports package (seems like something you'd have) for Sky you get the channel.

Feel sorry for us poor Virgin Media holders we can't ever get the channel.

Bubba
08-24-2015, 09:52 PM

The channel hasn't launched here yet, the show is on the 31st. If you have the BT sports package (seems like something you'd have) for Sky you get the channel.

Feel sorry for us poor Virgin Media holders we can't ever get the channel.

I misunderstood the article that I read but I'm actually in the same boat as you. We have Virgin Media :(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-24-2015, 09:53 PM
I'll go ahead and do the story sync for these episodes, too.

fearstorysync.com

And here is the progress we've made towards a post-apocalyptic world:

Shorty
08-24-2015, 11:57 PM
so if this is going to be about zombies rather than "humans are the real monsters!!!!" then I'm all for it.

This is the biggest reason why I lost interest in The Walking Dead. I might wait to see how this show progresses with some reviews before watching it. Not sold yet.

Shiny
08-25-2015, 03:58 AM
If I were in the situation these people were, my reaction wouldn't be disbelief it would be "not the bath salts!"

Freya
08-31-2015, 05:01 PM
I feel like I would be that weird kid, Tobias. "Saw it on the internet" and "they'll hit these other places first. Raiding the school makes sense."

Also I realized that heroin kid is actually Tom Riddle from Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

I don't really think they should be hanging out with Tom Riddle. That's bad news.

The riot outside sounds scary. I can't imagine living in an area that actually has things like that, minus the zombies of course.

Also, why are all teenagers brats? Well besides Weird kid Tobias.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-31-2015, 08:03 PM
I got Madison again on story sync.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Same story sync results as 2 weeks ago. Glad to have the show back after our week off.

I was curious about one thing. Why would you bury a dead body in your back yard if you're still at the point where you think this is an illness that can be turned around? Since they still think society can get a handle on this, it seems like they would just leave it out back for the "clean up crew" whenever the time would come for that. I mean, it's a good thing they buried it. It seems like the military will be hostile to anyone who's come close to the infected.

Freya
09-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Poor asian dude. Comes home and his wife is a zombie.

Travis is going to have to get over the whole killing zombies thing. He's lucky The Shop guy who's name I can't remember was there. Although that guy needs to stop being a jerk too. Like, your wife is injured and these people want to help, GO WITH THEM. I think he must have been part of some type of military or resistance or something back in el salvador. Dude knows how guns work a little TOO well.

I like how the ex wife (forgot her name too) was trying to make peace and be all "we need to be strong for our kids" and Madison is like "Nahhh I want you to kill me mm kay?" And she's all wtf woman? and slowly backs away

Del Murder
09-15-2015, 04:43 PM
I have too many shows and not enough time. This year I'm going to trim the fat a little. Fear the Walking Dead, you're on the bubble. I haven't watched episode 3 but this is the last chance I'm giving you. I have to be strict about this. My kids need me more.

Freya
09-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Well ep 3 is pretty good! Plus Fear season 1 is only supposed to have like 6 episodes so it isn't too much to watch.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-16-2015, 01:31 AM
Since we're now halfway through the season and we've got a grasp on our main characters, I thought I'd make some death predictions. I'll go from left to right with this picture. I'll be interested to see where I'm either right or dead wrong.

Alycia: If a key part of this show is going to be the brother/sister relationship, I can see her making it a long time. However, there's always the chance she could go and check on her boyfriend again...

Nick: I think Nick is going to be a lifer on the show. They show him struggling with drugs but I think a big part of his arc will be how he overcomes his problems in the face of the apocalypse. His comments on the infected and how to deal with them has been spot on more than the other characters, aside from Tobias.

Madison: I think there's a chance she could go early on. She seems to be the character that everyone in her family depends on the most, and that could bite them in a hard way, and also force the extended family to come closer together. She tells Liza "If I turn, don't make Travis shoot me", but this sounds like foreshadowing to me.

Travis: I think Travis will last a while. They're portraying him as a pacifist, but instead of that being something that kills him off early, I think it's something he'll overcome and move beyond as a character.

Liza: I think if Madison dies early, than Liza will last a long time and vice versa. I don't think they'll have both mother figures as series regulars unless they spend time creating a Shane style love triangle like Walking Dead season two.

Chris: I think Chris could go early on. They'll establish Nick as the resident teen anti-hero, and Chris doesn't seem the type to follow direction, as seen by his interactions with his father. This'll get him into trouble.

Daniel: I'm on the fence. He's knowledgeable about struggles and knows how to use a gun, but I think his stubborn attitude could get him into some unwanted disaster territory.

Griselda: With the accident that just happened with her leg, she'll either be the first of our group to turn, or they'll take the leg off and she'll become a Hershel type of figure.

Ofelia: I think she'll last a long time. She's rebellious but in a good way, like "hey, let's follow the people who seem to have a plan".

FFIX Choco Boy
09-16-2015, 03:35 AM
I feel like there's going to be a bunch of upsets with this series. I don't really want there to be, but I do know that The Walking Dead has already done most of these things... and hopefully they're smart enough not to tell the same story twice with different characters at a different time.

That said, I do believe that there won't be a death in the group until the season finale, right at the end.

Dark_Valentine
09-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I love the show so far...Nick is definitely my favorite. I can't wait until it really gets into the zombies and such though...the beginning was a little slow, but to be fair it was the beginning of the outbreak so it makes sense. I'm hoping that somewhere along the way the FTWD and TWD will merge...maybe not forever, but maybe they cross paths at some point? I can't wait to see where they take this show...very cool.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I got Madison again on story sync.

Alright, one episode later and i'm already feeling kinda sketchy on my predictions. I'd say this is my favorite episode of the series so far.

When Madison started slapping the hell out of Nick I thought "yes!". No more timidly approaching the issue of addiction, he needs to get in gear. I listen to a couple Walking Dead podcasts and there was at least one person who predicted the "enough is enough" slap, so it'll be funny to listen to podcasts after this episode and hearing "I called it!".

Madison leaving the gates was a big eye opener. When she came across the dead body with a gun close to its hand, it meant that the military was shooting every civilian and not just the infected. When you're dealing with a herd during a potential apocalypse, that's sadly an immoral but justified move on their part.

When they said they were taking sick people to the hospital I thought that was just code for taking them off somewhere to die. Once they took Nick & Liza I wasn't so sure anymore.

Ofelia is very resourceful. I think the only reason she's making out with that guy is to get meds. I think she'll try to sweet talk him some more so the group can get details on the hospital location.

There were several shots of the characters checking out the reflective mirror in the distance. At the end of the episode when shots are fired, I wonder if the survivor was shooting at zombies or if the survivor was being shot at by the military.

Freya
09-22-2015, 12:06 PM
I think that it was the military who shot. Cause he had told that one dude about it and then later he sees the light get shot.

I'm wondering where they are taking them. I don't think it's a hospital. I mean it could be but if they are killing people off for just being outside of the safe zone, then why would they save the hurt people?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Episode 5 will be called Cobalt, which interestingly enough was the code name of the show before we knew it would be called Fear the Walking Dead. Maybe it's also the name of this facility they're taking people to?

Freya
09-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Ooo things got interesting. I think the military guys let their commander guy die in there cause he was a jerk.

Also what's with the smooth talking guy in the cage with nick? He seems interesting. I also like that Chris is actually seeing how screwed up it's gotten.

ALSO ALSO wth Daniel straight up tortured that guy like it was whatever.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-28-2015, 12:15 PM

Freya
09-28-2015, 12:26 PM
I ALSO got ofelia! We lived I guess, crying in the front lawn, but living.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Since we're now halfway through the season and we've got a grasp on our main characters, I thought I'd make some death predictions. I'll go from left to right with this picture. I'll be interested to see where I'm either right or dead wrong.

Alycia: If a key part of this show is going to be the brother/sister relationship, I can see her making it a long time. However, there's always the chance she could go and check on her boyfriend again...

Nick: I think Nick is going to be a lifer on the show. They show him struggling with drugs but I think a big part of his arc will be how he overcomes his problems in the face of the apocalypse. His comments on the infected and how to deal with them has been spot on more than the other characters, aside from Tobias.

Madison: I think there's a chance she could go early on. She seems to be the character that everyone in her family depends on the most, and that could bite them in a hard way, and also force the extended family to come closer together. She tells Liza "If I turn, don't make Travis shoot me", but this sounds like foreshadowing to me.

Travis: I think Travis will last a while. They're portraying him as a pacifist, but instead of that being something that kills him off early, I think it's something he'll overcome and move beyond as a character.

Liza: I think if Madison dies early, than Liza will last a long time and vice versa. I don't think they'll have both mother figures as series regulars unless they spend time creating a Shane style love triangle like Walking Dead season two.

Chris: I think Chris could go early on. They'll establish Nick as the resident teen anti-hero, and Chris doesn't seem the type to follow direction, as seen by his interactions with his father. This'll get him into trouble.

Daniel: I'm on the fence. He's knowledgeable about struggles and knows how to use a gun, but I think his stubborn attitude could get him into some unwanted disaster territory.

Griselda: With the accident that just happened with her leg, she'll either be the first of our group to turn, or they'll take the leg off and she'll become a Hershel type of figure.

Ofelia: I think she'll last a long time. She's rebellious but in a good way, like "hey, let's follow the people who seem to have a plan".

This is the episode people have been waiting for all season long. It had everything. Dare I say, this was better than a lot of Walking Dead episodes. I think each episode this season got gradually better than the last, and the pay off was huge. Daniel is such a bad ass. "You might want to save that ammunition" *casually keeps walking*

I think for the most part my predictions were pretty good. I thought Madison was going to get Ned Starked, but I'm glad that didn't happen. The foreshadowing line of "Don't make Travis shoot me" did happen, just not to who I thought it would.

I was so wrong about Chris. He evolves a lot from a kid who doesn't listen to his dad to a guy that stands up for Alicia in the face of 3 soldiers. I never thought I'd say this, but he's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

Season 2 is going to take us on that boat. From what I've gathered in interviews, it seems as though they'll be colliding with other people who also took to water, people who might want what they have. It'll be interesting to see where they end up landing. Anyone who's seen Dawn of the Dead or played Dead Island could tell you that finding a secluded place surrounded by ocean might hurt worse than it helps.

SammieBabe
10-05-2015, 04:26 PM
After watching the season, I can say I like it, but I'm not fully engrossed yet. I'm going to keep watching in hopes that it picks up, and that they really make me care for the characters, like with TWD. I kinda hope Ofelia or Alicia turns out to be a super bad-ass though. :D

I recognized Nick as Tom Riddle too, but was more surprised when I saw that Stannis Baratheon was his Dad!

Freya
10-06-2015, 05:31 PM
I got Ofelia for the Story Sync.

In a sick twisted way, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Travis crumble in this new world. Even this last episode, going from "let's save people!" to beating someone to a bloody pulp and shooting his ex-wife. His descent is a good one.

I'm interested in how the boat thing will pan out though. That's always been one of my zombie apocalypse plans. So I really want to see how that'll pan out.

SammieBabe
10-06-2015, 06:20 PM
I am interested to see how the relationship changes between Chris and Travis. It's already pretty strained, and I can't imagine what happened is going to make it any better.

Shaibana
10-13-2015, 09:56 PM
hello! Shaibana reporting for duty!

i just finished the last episodes.
(at this moment) i really enjoy FTWD more the TWD self. maybe its becaus they are a bit too confident in TWD while in FTWD they act a bit more realistic imo
the story and the characters are fresh and interesting
does this season really have just 6 episodes?

''I recognized Nick as Tom Riddle too, but was more surprised when I saw that Stannis Baratheon was his Dad!''

w-what? *googles it*

hah! cool :D

Freya
02-22-2016, 09:48 PM
I couldn't find this teaser anyway but I finally found it on youtube. This 15 second teaser aired with the original show last night.

0aBMoxwax58

Freya
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Double post but I'm bumping this thread cause it's back now.

The first episode was okay. I have to remember that this is the beginning of the end. I yell at the characters but honestly, they don't know any better.

Strand seems really guard and prepared for this which is weird but I like him the best.

I'm also amused that Nick STILL wears the old man clothes.

The second episode was much better. Chris is basically Sea Coral. And that mom sure did change quick and get down to the boat quickly. I thought it took longer at first.

Who is out there shooting people down?! I always thought i'd get a boat and go live on the sea but I guess I didn't think about pirates during the zombie apocalypse.

Shaibana
04-19-2016, 03:10 PM
its a bit typical (Fear the) Walking Dead that the family on the island died in horrible circumstances.
why cant families like that for once just wave the main cast Goodbye without trout going down?

i really like Strand :3 i wonder what he's up to. at the end of the episode he was talking to a friend of some sort :o im curious for next week

and Chris needs to die...

Calliope
04-25-2016, 06:17 AM
"I'm an amateur anthropologist. Let me whitesplain how being Maori means you should know how Mother Nature is trying to ensure the survival of the earth!"

FUUUUUUU :stare:

Shaibana
04-25-2016, 05:56 PM
i liked this episode :3