PDA

View Full Version : Transient or Permanent

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2015, 05:44 AM
When it comes to character development systems, which do you prefer. A Transient system that can change whenever you feel like it or a permanent system where your choices can't be altered after being made without restarting the game?

VeloZer0
08-19-2015, 06:06 AM
I despise permanent systems. If I know I can't take back a choice that means I have to research the full implications before I make it. And then rather than just play the game for fun it becomes a research project.

Laddy
08-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Permanent. In my opinion having the ability to merely change character advancement options without penalty defeats the purpose of having options rather than a full array of abilities available.

Granted it makes sense in games like MMO's or Materia-like systems to not be permanent but having a game like Fallout where you can reorganize stats and skills and perks on the fly takes away the impact and individuality of said character.

Del Murder
08-20-2015, 09:36 PM
If you want your progression to be permanent, just never change it. I see no downside to providing the option.

Fox
08-21-2015, 12:32 AM
So basically... Materia vs. Sphere Grid?

Yeah, I think transient is generally better. I don't mind some permanence (like choosing who to use a Guard Source on) but customisation is helpful and encourages experimentation more. It allows for people to be creative with their builds when they are stuck instead of simply grinding up more power.

Karifean
08-21-2015, 12:42 AM
I have no preference. It all depends on how well it's done. Both system have their pitfalls and strong points, so whatever.

Transient systems do have the advantage of never requiring multiple playthroughs for superbosses, but if there's a good permanent system in place I don't mind replaying the game anyways, so whatever.

Pete for President
08-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Definitely permanent. I like strategy and thinking things through. I also feel it gives uniqueness and character to... characters.

Syssareth
08-21-2015, 05:28 PM
I despise permanent systems. If I know I can't take back a choice that means I have to research the full implications before I make it. And then rather than just play the game for fun it becomes a research project.

This. Even if you can't change it until the endgame or it costs a lot of gold, I like at least having the option. I usually end up not changing much after all, but if I can't change it, it makes me worry that I'll do something wrong, and I end up grinding way past the necessary level just so I have some leeway in case I did.

Fynn
08-21-2015, 06:38 PM
For all the love I have for the job system, I do prefer it when I need to make tough choices.

I think I know what sparked this idea ;)

Wolf Kanno
09-03-2015, 04:55 PM
I have no preference. It all depends on how well it's done. Both system have their pitfalls and strong points, so whatever.

Transient systems do have the advantage of never requiring multiple playthroughs for superbosses, but if there's a good permanent system in place I don't mind replaying the game anyways, so whatever.

I think I know what sparked this idea ;)

;)