PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

fat_moogle
08-24-2015, 01:06 AM
Has anybody else played this? I completed it today, so I'm curious to see what others here thought of it.

Personally I really liked it, but I can understand if people hate it. It's definitely not a game for everyone. The slow movement speed was probably enough to put some people off, but if you can look past that then you'll find a beautifully crafted game with a fantastic soundtrack and a unique way of story telling.

DMKA
08-24-2015, 03:22 AM
I haven't played it. I thought it sounded interesting prior to release but all the reviews say it's more or less a walking simulator, and, well...I don't play those unless I can obtain them for free.

fat_moogle
08-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I can't deny the fact that it is basically a walking simulator xD

Shauna
08-24-2015, 05:43 PM
a unique way of story telling.

I think Jim Sterling covered this really well in a recent Jimquisition... but this sort of walking simulator storytelling isn't that unique anymore. It happens quite a bit! I mean... how old is Dear Esther these days?

But I have not played it, so I don't want to comment on it. xD

fat_moogle
08-25-2015, 10:43 AM
& I've not played Dear Esther, so I can't make the comparison between the two. When did that game come out?

Shauna
08-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Just looked it up myself, and Dear Esther came out in 2008. I am not meaning to compare between the quality of the games - I'm just saying that the storytelling method of walking around to tell the story isn't new or unique anymore. x}

EDIT: Turns out the same guys did Dear Esther and Rapture, who'd have thunk it.

fat_moogle
08-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Ah, well I guess The Chinese Room like their walking sims! xD I'll have to watch some footage of Dear Esther and see how the storytelling differs between the two games. I like how in Rapture you get to know the residents without actually ever seeing any of the characters.

Laddy
08-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Why is it that "art games" are barely games? These games don't interest me since you could have easily have made gameplay more engaging and still kept the atmosphere and narrative focus.

Randy
08-29-2015, 07:51 PM
The Zero Punctuation episode on this was quite good. He points out the fact (that I hadn't picked up on) that The Chinese Room have now made 3 games in a row without including a single character in any of them. Lolol.

When you put it like that, it really makes it seems like they sat around trying to figure how to make their game world as uninteractive as possible.