PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of *hic* those hiccups!

Shorty
08-24-2015, 11:09 PM
There are dozens upon dozens of touted methods to get rid of hiccups, and one method doesn't ever seem to be proven to work across the board. Someone in my office just said the only thing that's ever worked for them was drinking pickle juice. :stare: For my sister and I, drinking water through a towel is the only thing that has worked.

I've heard of drinking water with a butterknife standing in it, drinking water upside down, holding your breath and jumping up and down, and so on and so forth. The more things I hear, though, the more I think they are pranks on gullible hiccuppers in a desperate attempt to rid themselves of their ailment.

As far as getting hiccups goes, without fail, every time I take a big bite of bread/tortillas/gluten anything or eat potatoes, it happens. :argh:

What methods work for you and what are the craziest methods you've heard of?

Colonel Angus
08-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I fucking hate the hiccups. I try holding my breath for a while, even though it doesn't always work.

Night Fury
08-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Put your fingers in your ears!

escobert
08-25-2015, 12:05 AM
I hold my breath.

Pheesh
08-25-2015, 01:43 AM
Ahahaha, drinking water upside down xD I have to tell someone to do that next time they have hiccups. Preferably that person will be you, Shorty.

Shiny
08-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Whenever I have hiccups and don't have immediate access to water, I hold my breath and say my name backwards. By the time I'm done, I no longer have hiccups. It works most of the time.

Shorty
08-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Ahahaha, drinking water upside down xD I have to tell someone to do that next time they have hiccups. Preferably that person will be you, Shorty.

I might do it if I'm a little boozy. I've done it before!

Madame Adequate
08-25-2015, 05:27 AM
Wait the "drink water upside down" is new to some people? I've heard that one since I was a toddler.

Others include;

Cover your nose and mouth with a brown paper bag and breathe.
Eat something (any modest snack or bigger, usually).
Go and try to poo. Doesn't matter if you can, or need to.

For me, holding my breath occasionally works and taking a BIG drink of water without stopping works maybe 1/3 of the time. Otherwise I wait it out.

Usually when I get hiccups, I get them like five times in one day :(

Pheesh
08-25-2015, 06:33 AM
I don't understand, this isn't some lame thing where you use a straw right? Because if you're just straight up upside down then I see no way that you're getting water into your mouth without it hilariously getting all over everything.

Syssareth
08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
I don't understand, this isn't some lame thing where you use a straw right? Because if you're just straight up upside down then I see no way that you're getting water into your mouth without it hilariously getting all over everything.

That's the point, it's a prank. The kind only small children and the very gullible fall for. :lol:

Fortunately, I don't get hiccups very often, but when I do, I hold my breath and try to relax my diaphragm, interspersed with a few yawns. Or else I just ignore them and keep doing what I'm doing with a mildly annoyed look on my face.

Crop
08-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Salt on the back of the tongue. Seriously, it works every single time.

No need to thank me.

blackmage_nuke
08-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Exhale and tense your gut/throat by making a swallowing motion as though your drinking something and hold that for as long as you can, at around the time the next hiccup should arrive it should convert itself into a burp and it'll be set from there.

I usually only hiccup once or twice and solve the problem using this method

Bubba
08-25-2015, 12:38 PM
This works 100% of the time... ALL THE TIME.

Gulp down a big glass of water for five seconds whilst simultaneously pulling down hard (so it's slightly painful) on your right earlobe.

Gone straight away.

Shauna
08-25-2015, 01:15 PM
100% legitimate method for getting rid of hiccups:

1. Before Mideel blows up, get 100 tissues at the Battle Arena at Gold Saucer.
2. Go to Mideel and talk to the woman on the very left (she should be crying)
3. Give her all your tissues
4. She tells you the secret to reviving Aeris ridding yourself of hiccups

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2015, 04:10 PM

One of the best in the series.

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/ch/1989/ch890419.gif

Nothing works on my hiccups besides time. I just have to sit through it.

Pumpkin
08-25-2015, 04:14 PM
I take a really big gulp of water or two and they're gone everytime.

Madame Adequate
08-25-2015, 04:16 PM

No like in the C&H there, it doesn't mean stand on your head, it means drink from the far side of the glass leaned way over.

Pheesh
08-25-2015, 04:21 PM

No like in the C&H there, it doesn't mean stand on your head, it means drink from the far side of the glass leaned way over.

I think we can agree that both methods would have the same result.

Karifean
08-25-2015, 04:24 PM
I love that C&H strip so much :jess:

I just calm my breathing. They're gone soon enough.

Shorty
08-25-2015, 05:16 PM

That's the point, it's a prank. The kind only small children and the very gullible fall for. :lol:

It's not a prank. :shobon: It works for some people.

MgeG4Ahk1ow

Pheesh
08-25-2015, 05:30 PM
That video featured the most horrifying winking smiley I've ever seen. It's burned into my mind.

Bubba
08-25-2015, 05:56 PM
That video featured the most horrifying winking smiley I've ever seen. It's burned into my mind.

Mirage
08-25-2015, 08:51 PM
I just hold my breath. If that doesn't help, i just stop giving a fuck and wait it out

Kalevala
08-26-2015, 05:06 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "scaring them out" method.

Once, when I was young, I was sitting at the table before dinner and started hiccuping. After the fourth or fifth hiccup my dad grabs hold of my wrist and goes "AAAAAHHHHHH!!" Just shrieks at the top of his lungs.

I mean, it worked, but Jesus...

BlasterDarkRen
09-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Try and force yourself to hiccup. Go on. Next time you have them, try and push one out.