PDA

View Full Version : Convince Mr. Carny To Play The Original!

Formalhaut
08-28-2015, 01:56 AM
So ever since the announcement of the remake, I've been patiently prodding Mr. Carny to dive in and play a pre-FFX Final Fantasy. He isn't really taking the bait though, and just keeps saying "I'll wait till the remake comes out".

Now, you EoFFers all know that the original FFVII is a great game that should be played, remake or no remake. Help me convince him to at least try it out, because it is currently a Sisyphean task trying to do that. :p

Colonel Angus
08-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Just play the fucking game, Mr. C.! It's fucking awesome, OK!

see Psychotics Let's Play for details.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 02:01 AM
Yeah, there really is no excuse.

I mean, you think XIII is a good game, for God's sake :roll2 We need to fix that.

Jinx
08-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Who knows how the remake will hold up to the original? Who knows if it will be true to it? The gameplay is probably going to be very different.

Everyone should play it because it's one of the most iconic games of all time.

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Just play the smurfing game, Mr. C.! It's smurfing awesome, OK!

Wow, so convincing. I shall go play it at once.

Seriously, why shouldn't I just wait for the remake? It will have the same story, but with better graphics. Strictly turn-based combat (which is what VII is, I think?) isn't my favourite, and the remake probably won't have it. I won't be approaching the original nostalgically, so I'll probably find all of the limitations which were imposed by the available technology annoying. Plus, if I haven't played the original, I won't be bogged down with preconceptions and can approach it as a fresh experience.

What's the downside to waiting?

Formalhaut
08-28-2015, 02:11 AM
Strictly turn-based combat (which is what VII is, I think?) isn't my favourite, and the remake probably won't have it.

FFX had strictly turn-based combat, and you enjoyed that! FFVII uses an ATB system, similar but different to FFX-2, which you loved.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 02:12 AM
Strictly turn-based combat (which is what VII is, I think?)

NO

Aside from FFI-III and X, all numbered FFs use some shade of ATB, which is a real-time/turn-based hybrid.

But it's like Jinx said - it's just this huge important element of gaming culture. Since the remake will be a reimagining rather than just a graphical update, you'll actually get to play two games instead of one.

Seriously, give it a shot. I mean, what do you have to lose?

Pumpkin
08-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Play the original it uh

Has materia. Materia is pretty cool. And Reno. Reno is pretty cool.

Pheesh
08-28-2015, 04:06 AM
I stand with you in solidarity Mr. C, the graphics are God awful and anyone who says otherwise simply has nostalgia goggles on. I'll wait for the remake tyvm.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 05:52 AM
Ugh.

Graphics whores :stare:

Pheesh
08-28-2015, 06:30 AM
They don't need to be brand new 1080p masterpieces, I enjoy playing a variety of things like old sonic ports and plenty of ps1 games, but the people have to at least look like people. I can't take a story seriously if I'm laughing at how comical everything in the game looks.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 06:33 AM
The graphics were never good, but after a few hours you stop noticing them.

And really, the rest of the game makes up for it. The very fact that the game was so huge despite having lego people is probably enough proof that it is worth trying.

Pheesh
08-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Well it was obviously easier to overlook the graphics a) in 1997 when no one knew any better and any 3D graphics (no matter how poor they were) were still impressive and b) when most of the audience were still children.

And no, you don't not notice them, I tried and they never got any less laughable for me. Maybe some people that have never played the game could look past it when they played it in this day and age, but I still say that the people who claim the graphics aren't that bad or aren't noticeable are simply staring at it through nostalgia goggles.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Well, my wife played the game for the first time many years after the release, and yes, the graphics bothered her a lot at first, but then she got so immersed she stopped noticing them. The same went for all my friends who tried and loved it.

So yeah, Carny should at least give it a fair shot :shrug: It's still a really great game, even if the graphics are admittedly terrible.

FFNut
08-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Carny, The Original is a smurfing masterpiece. It is a pillar of what a final Fantasy game should be. We all know bye history they smurf up remakes of everything, did you watch the new three stooges, or The Blues Brothers 2000? If any final Fantasy needs a remake it is XIII. It would benefit from a new story and a new game in general. If you love Final Fantasy at all play this as they made it. It will not disappoint you!

Fynn
08-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Carny, The Original is a smurfing masterpiece. It is a pillar of what a final Fantasy game should be. We all know bye history they smurf up remakes of everything, did you watch the new three stooges, or The Blues Brothers 2000? If any final Fantasy needs a remake it is XIII. It would benefit from a new story and a new game in general. If you love Final Fantasy at all play this as they made it. It will not disappoint you!

Now that's how you sell a product :D

Tyson
08-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Just play the smurfing game, Mr. C.! It's smurfing awesome, OK!

Wow, so convincing. I shall go play it at once.

Seriously, why shouldn't I just wait for the remake? It will have the same story, but with better graphics. Strictly turn-based combat (which is what VII is, I think?) isn't my favourite, and the remake probably won't have it. I won't be approaching the original nostalgically, so I'll probably find all of the limitations which were imposed by the available technology annoying. Plus, if I haven't played the original, I won't be bogged down with preconceptions and can approach it as a fresh experience.

What's the downside to waiting?

So much is going to need to be trimmed/changed for the remake. Even if they do an amazing job with it you're still going to be missing out on a lot. A lot of stuff will either just be to weird or too violent to make the crossover to HD, not to mention they'll probably change the scripts a ton to limit the amount of voice acting needed.

Even the 'same story' part may not hold true. It's possible Nomura may have Genesis narrate the entire thing :P Who knows!?

And of course the biggest reason, a lot of us may have died of old age before the remake actually get's released.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Just do it to see why the mainstream suddenly noticed JRPGs :p

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 11:20 AM
I was talking with Formy about this last night, and I think the time has come to come clean.

I actually always intended to play the original. It was just fun prodding both him and you all to see your reactions.

I fully intend to play FF VII. I fully expect it to be full of flaws which someone playing nostalgically will overlook, but I think it's worth a shot anyway. I may even do a thread on all Ff VII's problems. The reactions to that will, no doubt, be priceless.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Shauna
08-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Can't keep a joke up for more than 10 hours? Weak. x}

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Can't keep a joke up for more than 10 hours? Weak. x}

This has been going on for months, Shauna. This thread is just the tip of the iceberg.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
I think he's lying tho :shifty:

Also, who says goodnight at like noon?

Shauna
08-28-2015, 11:55 AM
weak

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 11:58 AM
I think he's lying tho :shifty:

Also, who says goodnight at like noon?

Why would I lie? :shifty:

The goodnight was for dramatic effect. 'Thank you and goodnight' is just one of those phrases which people use for a dramatic exit. A dramatic exit which you and Shauna have totally RUINED. How dare you.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 12:01 PM
As in, we actually convinced you but you're too proud to admit it and you're just like "well actually, losers, I always intended to play it, I was just playing y'all like a violin!" :p

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 12:11 PM
As in, we actually convinced you but you're too proud to admit it and you're just like "well actually, losers, I always intended to play it, I was just playing y'all like a violin!" :p

I'm not THAT proud. My mind WAS changed, but it was Formy that finally convinced me, about two months ago. Nothing to do with your sorry selves.

Fynn
08-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Whatever you say, love ;)

Formalhaut
08-28-2015, 02:53 PM
The next challenge is convincing him to play the series pre-FFVII. :p

The graphics were never good, but after a few hours you stop noticing them.

And really, the rest of the game makes up for it. The very fact that the game was so huge despite having lego people is probably enough proof that it is worth trying.

Well it was obviously easier to overlook the graphics a) in 1997 when no one knew any better and any 3D graphics (no matter how poor they were) were still impressive and b) when most of the audience were still children.

And no, you don't not notice them, I tried and they never got any less laughable for me. Maybe some people that have never played the game could look past it when they played it in this day and age, but I still say that the people who claim the graphics aren't that bad or aren't noticeable are simply staring at it through nostalgia goggles.

I played FFVII for the very first time two-three years ago, and seriously, the graphics never bothered me. I actually rather liked the static backgrounds; they were pretty unique and interesting. And the music was good as well, and the story. I can see how the blocky graphics may disrupt immersion, but for me, the graphics were good enough to not care. I could still see facial expressions and emotions and that is the most important thing.

Shauna
08-28-2015, 03:54 PM
The graphics are terrible. Saying that they never bothered you doesn't take away from the fact that they are terrible. They didn't bother me either, but... yeah.

Mr. Carnelian
08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Fear not, after I've played I will mercilessly critique all of FFVII's flaws, including the graphics.

I may even post a thread about it. :)

Formalhaut
08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
The graphics are terrible. Saying that they never bothered you doesn't take away from the fact that they are terrible. They didn't bother me either, but... yeah.

I never said they were great in the first place! It certainly isn't NES standard of graphics. Objectively, they are pretty poor.

Psychotic
08-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Everyone focuses on the character graphics. Well, the backgrounds are still gorgeous so gtfo.

Pheesh
08-29-2015, 12:55 AM
Everyone focuses on the character graphics. Well, the backgrounds are still gorgeous so gtfo.

Thats like getting punched in the face and someone saying to you "well at least your stomach doesn't hurt."

Tyson
08-29-2015, 03:05 AM

This. The backgrounds still all hold up. If you watch a playthrough of the PC version with higher quality characters models it still looks great.

That was a problem with all ps1 games really. Resident Evil being another big one.

Shauna
08-29-2015, 09:18 AM
That was a problem with all ps1 games really. Resident Evil being another big one.

Very true. Although RE's main problem is its slow as heck tank controls. But much like the graphics, get used to them and they're perfectly playable.

But yes the backgrounds are beautiful, and the in battle graphics are a step up.

Psychotic
08-29-2015, 09:22 AM

Thats like getting punched in the face and someone saying to you "well at least your stomach doesn't hurt."I've got a better analogy. It's like being punched in the face and then getting a hand job from the President. And the President is smoking hot and smells like pineapples.

DK
08-29-2015, 02:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/k8mYp.png

if this doesn't make you want to play the game then you are a terrible human being with terrible taste and you don't deserve the experience anyway

escobert
08-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Easily one of the best video game stories. And it's so much better without voice acting! :p

It's just fun and the weird graphics aren't that bad.