PDA

View Full Version : Putting cartoon characters into live action footage?

MJN SEIFER
08-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know how to do this? What I mean is filming something in real life, with a camera, like normal, but putting cartoon characters in the scene as well, so in the final edit, you'll see cartoon characters in a real life video, interacting with a real life person.

Basically, I mean like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? that movie had cartoon characters edited into live action, so you had real life actors interacting with cartoons. However, the method used to do this in that movie is obsolete, but I know I've seen people do this, so can anyone tell me how to do it?

I tried Googling it, but I kept getting stuff about live action adaptations of animations for the most part, so I figured asking would be quicker.

Freya
08-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh, snap. Well, is it a video you're trying to do? Or a gif? Or what?

You'll have to know how to edit a video first off. And know a way to import special effects into said video cut. This would be considered a special effect. So maybe you should start there? I've personally not done it so i'm unsure but I think that's where you should start.

MJN SEIFER
08-29-2015, 10:50 PM
They will be videos. Sorry for not specifying.

I will attempt to look into what you say, but just in case, if anyone else has information please say (like if anyone knows what programs are best at this).

Shoeberto
08-31-2015, 10:30 PM
You'd basically just be doing matting tricks (think green screen), but in a different way. The animated character needs to be rendered in one video on a background with a flat color that's uncommon (again, green screen) and then you "matte" it in to your live action scene using a tool like Final Cut, After Effects, or whatever.

The technical challenge is in framing both shots to line up. For example, if you're shooting your live action footage down a long hallway, you need to have your character animated as if they were standing in the hallway. Or if you're doing a shot down a staircase, animate them as though you're looking at them down the staircase. They need to line up if you're going for a true effect like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? You also need to consider how you light your animated character to make it all line up. It's all fairly technical.

MJN SEIFER
09-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Thank you for the information, I'll look into all that as soon as I can. :)