PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur, yeah!

KentaRawr!
08-29-2015, 04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrpyv8SNS4

Anyone else here big fans of the series? I've really enjoyed them since Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but I also really enjoy Soul Blade on the PSX since I finally got introduced to it. I've not been super fond of the series since 4, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of fulfilling single player content. For some reason, even though it's a fighting game series, I always kind of saw the VS mode as the multiplayer mode to a primarily single player experience, which is part of why Soul Calibur 3 is one of my favorite games in the series even with the balance issues. I've always wished that the series would do more to expand on the story, and my favorite character, Maxi, seemed to get the same story repeated since 2, which was unfortunate. Plus why did Bangoo never become playable? That's unfair. :mad2:

Anywho, how do y'all feel about Soul Calibur? Awesome? Not so awesome? Your least favorite game series ever? Tell me!

P.S. If there's never a Tekken Tag-style Soul Calibur game I'm gonna weep.

Mirage
08-30-2015, 12:14 AM
My favourite fighting game series. Too bad it took a nose dive

Colonel Angus
08-30-2015, 12:24 AM
I played a couple of them & enjoyed them a lot. I had the one on GameCube w/ Link. The controls weren't that great (mostly the spring-loaded triggers being an issue), but it was fun. I also got the next one on the PS2, which I remember having a pretty good CAC.

maybee
08-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Love this series- I love SC V the most because I love because the design your own character system, that has improved greatly from SC III and it's great to just spend hours to create all your OCs into the video game.

escobert
08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
My favourite fighting game series. Too bad it took a nose dive

II is my favorite.

Formalhaut
08-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Isn't this the game series with all the hilarious cameos? And the lady with the overly marketed breasts?

Colonel Angus
08-31-2015, 12:53 AM
And the lady with the overly marketed breasts?
I never heard of them referred to as that.:lol:

sharkythesharkdogg
08-31-2015, 03:33 PM
http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/874634/soulcalibur1.jpg

My favorite is Soul Caliber 2.

Formalhaut
08-31-2015, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=sharkythesharkdogg;3562256]http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/874634/soulcalibur1.jpg

Oh gosh. Me and Pumpkin bonded over our mutual loathing of this poster.

KentaRawr!
08-31-2015, 07:16 PM
She doesn't even feature heavily in the story of that game. She just shows up like "hey you in the woods? Me too. Hey I've got a credits screen wanna see?" And then bloop the chain of events to the end of the game.

Pete for President
09-01-2015, 02:15 AM
Soul Blade and II are my favourite. There was something about the world traversing kinda thing of those I really enjoyed. I think they ditched it in 3 and that's when I lost interest.

KentaRawr!
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM
They had a miniature version of it in 3 in the form of the Tales of Souls mode, I think. Each one was about as long as the Edge Master Mode from Soul Blade, but you didn't collect weapons and you couldn't save. It was also significantly easier, and thus took less time to complete. :ohdear:

Leigh
09-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Original Soul Blade for the win. Takes me right back! :)

Aulayna
09-01-2015, 10:04 PM
I loved this series. Right up until SCIV. SCIV and SCV were just dire.

I want them to go back to providing a fleshed out single-player experience again, not just focusing heavily on online multiplayer.

The Edge Master mode of Soul Blade, the adventure in SCII and the quasi-RTS mode in SCIII were what I loved the most. Not paying full price for a shell of an arcade experience and then a million online versus variations with unexciting unlocks.

Depression Moon
09-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Isn't No-Mercy the biggest Soul Calibur fan on this site?

I like the series a lot too. I started with the first on Dreamcast and been a fan since then. II was the best of the ones I played. The combat felt perfect. III was a step back and for some reason they seem to continually take out moves from Ivy's movelist since then. I skipped IV, but V played more like II. My only deal with it was the roster. I didn't like anyone except for Ezio. There were a couple of playstyles I liked, but I didn't like any of their designs. Xiba is a terrible replacement for Kilik. With the poll they held earlier this year, maybe VI would bring back the better characters and have a proper Kilik again.

Ayen
12-05-2015, 05:01 AM
I was introduced to this series through my brother who owned Soul Blade and loved it. Absolutely loved it. Didn't play another entry again until Soul Calibur III. Fell in love with their single player campaign where you make your own character. Think I played that more than any other mode. Also loved tinkering around with custom characters. There were so many different options to choose from. I agree that SCIV is where everything went sour. Still haven't played my copy of SCII yet. I have the PS2 version. One of the few instances where I'd like to get the game for every system. Just need to see if Xbox SCII is one of the games that will play on the 360.

Zeldy
12-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I love Soul Caliber, last one I had was V.

and after I get a PS4, I will certainly get their latest title. It's always a good multiplayer game to have - which means I just love to challenge unwilling guests. My mains from V were Taki, Ivy and Viola, but I generally like to compete close combat and get some strong kicks in there. I did quite well at memorising Ivy's moves.

Mirage
12-14-2015, 01:28 AM
Taki wasn't in V!

I mained Mitsurugi after they decided to axe both Cassandra and Kilik, my main characters in the games up until then.

Vyk
12-14-2015, 03:53 AM
All of my main characters keep coming and going. I was a fan until number 4 which is one of the only games I've ever traded in. And if my girlfriend hadn't already owned SCV I wouldn't hace ever bothered trying that

They made Sophitia and Sueng Mina unlockable and then took them out. I switched to Talim and she's gone now too. Pretty much done with the series now. Screw 'em

Mirage
12-14-2015, 03:57 AM
I'm pretty miffed at the state of the series right now too, but I'd probably buy a tekken tag-like SC on day one if they made one (and didn't put a bunch of BS into it).

I just can't understand how they could justify removing 5 styles and then introduce an additional two sword+shield styles, right after they said the reason they removed seong mina was because she was too similar to kilik.

Ayen
12-14-2015, 03:58 AM
I'm sad at the current state of the series, but not surprised. I had a feeling things were going downhill at IV.

Mirage
12-14-2015, 04:17 AM
Things were definitely going downhills in 4, but I felt pretty confident that they could learn from the mistakes and make 5 better. And I guess it kinda was better, i mean objectively, from a gameplay point of view. I just don't like meter fighters, and i missed way to many character/styles

I'd be glad with even a HD version of SC3. That's the version I was the best at.

Zeldy
12-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Taki wasn't in V!

I mained Mitsurugi after they decided to axe both Cassandra and Kilik, my main characters in the games up until then.

Gah, you're right. Getting mixed up.

They axxed cassendra? Pretty glad about that - not take Sophia aswell?, but Kilik was boss!

Mirage
12-14-2015, 10:57 AM
You're glad they axed cassandra? You're a horrible monster.

Anyway, there are two new sword + shield users. They're both Sophitia's kids because this is a 17 year time leap thingie game. They play sort of like if you scrambled together cassandra and sophitia and added a bit of spice then cut the whole thing in two again. It's not horrible, but neither of them is cassandra or sophitia. Kilik is replaced by another dude with a staff that also plays completely different. Seong Mina is gone entirely, so is Rock, and also Zasalamel. Yun Seong is gone as well. Almost none of the new characters have any sort of back story or personality.

Kilik is there, but in name only. He's a sort of edgemaster. There is a new character that looks exactly like sophitia too, but she's actually some sort of spiritual being that took her form and is also just an edgemaster type of character.

I'm not gonna say anything about the pay2win game they released after 5.

Zeldy
12-14-2015, 11:05 AM
You're glad they axed cassandra? You're a horrible monster.

Anyway, there are two new sword + shield users. They're both Sophitia's kids because this is a 17 year time leap thingie game. They play sort of like if you scrambled together cassandra and sophitia and added a bit of spice then cut the whole thing in two again. It's not horrible, but neither of them is cassandra or sophitia. Kilik is replaced by another dude with a staff that also plays completely different. Seong Mina is gone entirely, so is Rock, and also Zasalamel. Yun Seong is gone as well. Almost none of the new characters have any sort of back story or personality.

Kilik is there, but in name only. He's a sort of edgemaster. There is a new character that looks exactly like sophitia too, but she's actually some sort of spiritual being that took her form and is also just an edgemaster type of character.

I'm not gonna say anything about the pay2win game they released after 5.

XD the two girls REALLY annoyed me, Cassandra and Sophitia. And I could never win a battle as either of them!

I liked Seong Mina too so thats sad, Its been a while since I played any SC so I'm a bit frosty on character names as is. Excited to play the new one :jess:

Mirage
12-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Cassandra is top tier. Maybe you just sucked <.<

also what new one?

Zeldy
12-14-2015, 11:32 AM
The new one on the PS4!

probably XD I'll just snipe you with lower kicks.

Mirage
12-14-2015, 11:37 AM
has that actually been officially announced yet?

Zanmato
12-14-2015, 01:13 PM
I love this series, although it went downhill after SCIII, which I love to the max due to massive single-player content (the best in the whole series IMHO) and great local multiplayer (I'm not a fan of online gaming). :3

Freya
12-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Talim was main go to. I rocked as Talim.

Mirage
12-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Everyone rocked as Talim :p

Freya
12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Well I rocked harder :colbert:

Vyk
12-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Talim was fast, friendly to use, and pretty awesome. She was basically the Cassandra that normal people like me actually tried to use. The few times I tried Cassandra I enjoyed her, but it didn't stick for some reason. But I can see why she's loved by the professional crowd

My thing was that they kept making Sophitia unlockable, which indicated they were trying to get rid of her, and I didn't see Cassandra in a very fond light during that phase, since she was exacerbating Sophitia being delegated to the corner just by her very existence and inclusion (in fact, I had a hard time accepting and appreciating any of the copycat characters from Calibur 1 and 2)

I can't imagine there will be an actual Soul Calibur VI. I've not heard of it, and there was so much internal arguing before V that was completely ridiculous. The director even admitted in an interview explaining why there was a 17 year gap. They have so much internal arguing over how Ivy should be portrayed, her boob size, her poses, all that jazz, that he wanted to just nix the entire thing. So he made it 17 years later to get rid of most of the cast, and start fresh. But even that wasn't enough, because she's so adored by slobbering fans that the execs forced him to shoe-horn her in, and then they of course used her in the adverts by putting her boobs in your face

Kinda disgusting, and I think the portion of the Soul team that was against that sort of thing, is probably just done with the series now. And I'm not sure the pervy portion of the Soul team that's left is enough to get it right, and even if they do it's likely to get a DOA backlash for being a bunch of unnecessary fanservice

Edit: I looked it up and there are websites declaring a release date for Soul Calibur 6, but they look fishy, and don't load properly, so I've no idea what that supposed date is, but I don't see anything official

And in the process found this article from back in the day that may be interesting to anyone curious about what I was talking about: http://www.p4rgaming.com/soulcalibur-6-in-development-hell-due-to-arguments-over-how-big-ivys-breasts-should-be/

sharkythesharkdogg
12-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Maxi was Talim before Talim came along. Fast, decent damage, easy to use, and with moves that were made to flow into one another.

I LOVED using Seung Mina (original spelling, thx.) and Lizard Man.

I had fun with all if the old characters, but those two were my favs. Too bad they're all gone now.

EDIT: I just read that article, and it's sad. Frankly, I really like Ivy. She wasn't a favorite, but she was different and fun. Her weapon gave her two-fighting styles making her a pretty cool character that could go from a short/medium to medium/long range character pretty quickly. All half the team seems to care about is digital boobies. Yeesh.

Laddy
12-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Zasalamel, Tira, Setsuka, Raphael, and Voldo are my mains but naturally half of them are no longer in the game.

V had a good Create-a-Character but cutting out half the characters and having a lazy and clumsy Story Mode made it disappointing. At least the combat mechanics were neat.

Mirage
12-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Well I rocked harder :colbert:

We'll settle this at the meetup. Bring your arcade stick. :colbert:

Ayen
12-16-2015, 01:56 AM
My only real knowledge of the Soul Calibur games is about the number of guest characters they had. Didn't Link make an appearance at some point?

Yeah, he was an exclusive on the GameCube version of SCII.

Chibi Youkai
12-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Yep, used to play it in the arcade with my dad, and then we played through all the PS games. Five kind of sucked, though.

Rocket Edge
12-16-2015, 11:32 PM
I used Yoshimitsu & Ivy in Soul Calibur II. Yoshi was pretty crap though I thought but I was used to playing him in Tekken. Briefly played Soulblade and SC3. I haven't played the new releases but thinking about how good these games were I'm thinking I'll pick the next installment up. They were great fun.

Hollycat
12-17-2015, 02:35 AM
I really gave the series a fair shot and was unable to get into it. That said, I love Hilde's design

KentaRawr!
12-17-2015, 04:42 AM
I've always wanted to learn Hilda just because her design is so neat!

Pumpkin
12-17-2015, 05:16 AM
Gameplay wise, Talim ismy favourite fighting game character. Its a shameshe isnt in V, which is why I havent played it

Zeldy
12-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Yeah, Talim was fast, friendly to use, and pretty awesome. She was basically the Cassandra that normal people like me actually tried to use. The few times I tried Cassandra I enjoyed her, but it didn't stick for some reason. But I can see why she's loved by the professional crowd

My thing was that they kept making Sophitia unlockable, which indicated they were trying to get rid of her, and I didn't see Cassandra in a very fond light during that phase, since she was exacerbating Sophitia being delegated to the corner just by her very existence and inclusion (in fact, I had a hard time accepting and appreciating any of the copycat characters from Calibur 1 and 2)

I can't imagine there will be an actual Soul Calibur VI. I've not heard of it, and there was so much internal arguing before V that was completely ridiculous. The director even admitted in an interview explaining why there was a 17 year gap. They have so much internal arguing over how Ivy should be portrayed, her boob size, her poses, all that jazz, that he wanted to just nix the entire thing. So he made it 17 years later to get rid of most of the cast, and start fresh. But even that wasn't enough, because she's so adored by slobbering fans that the execs forced him to shoe-horn her in, and then they of course used her in the adverts by putting her boobs in your face

Kinda disgusting, and I think the portion of the Soul team that was against that sort of thing, is probably just done with the series now. And I'm not sure the pervy portion of the Soul team that's left is enough to get it right, and even if they do it's likely to get a DOA backlash for being a bunch of unnecessary fanservice

Edit: I looked it up and there are websites declaring a release date for Soul Calibur 6, but they look fishy, and don't load properly, so I've no idea what that supposed date is, but I don't see anything official

And in the process found this article from back in the day that may be interesting to anyone curious about what I was talking about: http://www.p4rgaming.com/soulcalibur-6-in-development-hell-due-to-arguments-over-how-big-ivys-breasts-should-be/

the size of the boobs in the game is a little ridiculous!

Zanmato
12-22-2015, 07:25 PM

the size of the boobs in the game is a little ridiculous!

DoA's (Dead or Alive) fanservice is more ridiculous... trust me! :P

Mirage
12-22-2015, 08:45 PM
That doesn't mean Soul Calibur needs to aspire to DoA's level.