PDA

View Full Version : "Epic" moments in video games

Pike
09-02-2015, 12:40 AM
I put epic in quotes because I know it's kind of an over-used term. But I want you to tell me, what are some moments in video games that you thought were really, truly, impressive? What moments blew you away with just a sense of "wow"?

This can be cinematics, music, something you did, atmosphere, or a combination of all of the above or whatever else you think fits.

Colonel Angus
09-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Dpl7P9-B1Ho

Karifean
09-02-2015, 01:34 AM
The openings of both Final Fantasy VII and VIII, naturally. Also, the destruction of original Final Fantasy XIV; gotta give credit where credit is due, that was an amazing scene.

Can't forget the Garden battle in FFVIII or confronting Yunalesca in FFX either. Pretty great moments.

In Final Fantasy XII IZJS, reaching the final Trial Mode stage is an amazing feeling, let me tell you. First watching all five of them walk up to you in formation, and the fight begins as they each start using their setup skills... beautiful. And the musical ambience is what sold me on Desperate Fight forever.

Leaving FF behind, the end of the common route in Rewrite, like oh my god. The leaf dragon fight is one of the best scenes in the whole game IMO.

The finale of the Refrain arc in Little Busters!, specifically the second 'Field Trip' scene, was an absolutely incredible scene. The music, the choices, the emotional involvement, I felt like screaming all the while.

Can't forget about Fate/Stay Night. In Unlimited Blade Works, the Shirou vs Archer fight, and in Heaven's Feel, the Shirou vs Kotomine fight, both of those two were amazing. It's been a while since I last read them though.

Edit: Totally forgot about the Muv-Luv Alternative Opening. Now that's how you greet a player.

But for me there could only be one game at the very top. And yes, Umineko has quite a few of these moments. The following three are, without a doubt in my mind, my overall favorite "epic" moments of ANY game:

The Episode 4 Tea Party (Dreamenddischarger <3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPJuAxZaOo))
The Episode 5 ???? (JUSTICE <3 (http://www.nospoiler.com/y/hxliVmx39OI))
The Episode 6 Ending (ruriair and Liberated Liberator <3 (http://www.nospoiler.com/y/YNst8S7tgFQ))

Yeah I know, personal bias and all, but they really do just blow me away even now. I've lost count of how many times I've reread these scenes. Honorable mentions to the Episode 7 Finale and Tea Party, the Episode 3 Finale and the Episode 8 Challenge.

Pheesh
09-02-2015, 06:03 AM
5pP7lMtIgQ4

Crop
09-02-2015, 06:42 AM
-First leaving Midgar in FFVII and seeing how huge the world is.

-Leaving Vault 101 for the first time in Fallout 3.

Those are the two that spring to mind for me straight away, but I'm sure there are others.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
-The beginning, ending, and every major story section of Persona 3. The ending actually gives me chills and leaves me with bated breath every time. And the entire soundtrack.

-Same story with Final Fantasy IX.

-World of Warcraft. Battle at the Wrathgate/Battle for Undercity/Dragon Soul raid. And this one time when I was doing Molten Core with a few of my friends at level 80. I was just running into the raid while they were killing Garr, and when they were about to die, I charged in on my Death Knight and taunted the boss while yelling "I'll save you!" in Vent, then we killed him. It was amazing. We still talk about it years later.

Aerith's Knight
09-02-2015, 12:25 PM
The ending fight in KHII was pretty epic. Sadly, not very difficult.

Ys: origin. Just in total, that game is epicness.

-The beginning, ending, and every major story section of Persona 3. The ending actually gives me chills and leaves me with bated breath every time. And the entire soundtrack.

I really need to play Persona 3 one of these days.

Fox
09-02-2015, 01:21 PM
I had a great one in the original Max Payne. I opened a door causally and a little way down a narrow hallway was a dude with two Uzis. I completely froze for some reason and the dude saw me and emptied all his ammo at me. Unscathed, I moved my camera to look behind me - the wall was covered in bullet holes, apart from a vaguely Max Payne shaped section in the middle. I looked back around and nonchalantly shot the guy with my Desert Eagle and carried on my way.

I love lucky, dynamic movie moments like that.

In terms of more scripted stuff, everyone has rightly mentioned a bunch of Final Fantasy sections... I want to say: climbing that huge ladder in ​Metal Gear Solid 3

Old Manus
09-02-2015, 03:49 PM
I remember being all 'holy shit' at the first level of MoH Frontline, but looking back it hasn't aged very well at all.

Leigh
09-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I remember being all 'holy shit' at the first level of MoH Frontline, but looking back it hasn't aged very well at all.

Is Frontline the same as Allied Assault? I remember the first level being Omaha Beach in Allied Assault which was pretty absorbing at the time. I've never played it since though, so perhaps I am better for it to live on in my memories.

Vermachtnis
09-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Flutter vs. The Gesellschaft from Mega Man Legends. One of my favorite boss fights of all time. And it still holds up.

Pete for President
09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
walking into Gwyn's chamber where the piano music kicks in and the old hollowed lord charges at you.

The 3rd to last mission in Ace Combat Zero has you flying through a dark, rainy old battlefield area where you do nothing else but fight a 2vs8 dog fight against an enemy boss squadron. It's so hectic and the music as well as radio chatter make it real epic.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
I remember when Street Fighter II: Championship came out and you could play as Vega, Balrog, and Bison finally. That was pretty awesome.

Playing the very first level of the first Donkey Kong Country for the first time had an epic feel to it.

The opening sequence in SNES Star Fox when the Arwings scramble out of the hanger.

Vyk
09-03-2015, 10:25 PM
If you were in the moment, in that time, the reveal in KoTOR was pretty epic

The end of Xenogears' intro area/story arc when the shit hits the fan, that was pretty epic

Shadow of the Colossus. I was gonna say seeing/defeating your first colossus. But that feeling doesn't diminish throughout the game, most of the fights are epic. I can think of like ... one, which wasn't all that epic. Way to go on that game

While it's still my least favorite in the series, I think the opening in Saints Row: The Third was pretty stellar

Xenoblade Chronicles had two pretty blood-pumping openings in one

Fox
09-03-2015, 11:34 PM
If you were in the moment, in that time, the reveal in KoTOR was pretty epic

Xenoblade Chronicles had two pretty blood-pumping openings in one

As someone who didn't play KoTOR until about 5 years ago... it did stand the test of time that bit. Was still pretty good.

Mass Effect had some nice epic moments as well, especially a couple of perfectly judged Renegade actions like punching that damn Admiral in the gut how DARE you shoot with me still on the ship now GET OFF MY SHIP!!

Vyk
09-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Ah, Mass Effect. The showdowns with the reapers on the homeworlds of the krogan and qunari were so intense

Pheesh
09-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Actually, Bioware games in general are pretty epic. Games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age Inquisition do a pretty good job of immersing you into a world that truly feels like it is in need of your help. I easily find myself getting sucked in to those games when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Also, special mention to Skyrim for being one of the only games where I've practically created my own epic moments. The first time I walked some insane distance and was greeted with an amazing vista or the northern lights or whatever is quite rewarding and breathtaking.

Formalhaut
09-04-2015, 01:38 AM
Actually, Bioware games in general are pretty epic. Games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age Inquisition do a pretty good job of immersing you into a world that truly feels like it is in need of your help. I easily find myself getting sucked in to those games when I'm in the right frame of mind.

I agree, I can reel off several intense moments in both games. In Mass Effect 3, staring down that reaper by yourself in Rannoch is equal parts exhilarating and terrifying.

Randy
09-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Epic moments.....

The ending of FFX always hit me pretty hard.

Also, ME3: the Thresher Maw takes down a Reaper. I got so into that series that I swear I fist pumped when they finally managed to take out a Reaper.

-First leaving Midgar in FFVII and seeing how huge the world is.

That always stuck in my mind too. It was like "video games can't do........oh.....wow."

Bubba
09-04-2015, 01:55 AM
The very start of Uncharted 2. Shall we have a nice easy introductory hour where you can complete simple tasks to get you used to the control system?? Nope. We're gonna start with you hanging of the end of a train carriage which itself is hanging off the edge of a huge cliff and see how you get on.

Epic.

Hollycat
09-04-2015, 06:07 AM
Dragon Age Inquisition, the assault on Weisshaupt feels pretty darn epic. Of course, so does the who mission when Haven is attacked, especially from Corypheus reveal to finding skyhold.

I'll add more later. Probably.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-04-2015, 07:52 AM
How could I forget about Skyrim? The first time I saw a dragon bug out and do a backwards flight spiral while breathing fire was pretty epic. :lol:

Mittopotahis
09-05-2015, 05:46 AM
The very start of Uncharted 2. Shall we have a nice easy introductory hour where you can complete simple tasks to get you used to the control system?? Nope. We're gonna start with you hanging of the end of a train carriage which itself is hanging off the edge of a huge cliff and see how you get on.

Epic.

Agreed. Naughty Dog pull you into their stories so quickly. The same thing happened with The Last of Us, within 40 minutes you are invested in the characters and story. They're very talented.

Another example that comes to mind is Bioshock. Travelling down into the ocean depths, the moment Rapture first comes into view was really special and well done.