PDA

View Full Version : Are you good at math

Pumpkin
09-21-2015, 05:01 PM
I am not. Not at all

FFIX Choco Boy
09-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Well, considering I took advanced placement Calculus and Physics courses in high school and aced both the classes and the tests, I'd say that yes, I'm fairly well versed in math.

But English, on the other hand. Or any form of social studies...

Pheesh
09-21-2015, 05:51 PM
I was actually pretty good at it until I straight up dropped it because I hate math.

blackmage_nuke
09-21-2015, 07:38 PM
My limit to practical problem solving ends somewhere around trigonometry, but my limit to understanding is somewhere around fourier transforms as long a I really focus and have full access to reference materials. Once three or more greek symbols are brought into it starts feeling like a chore.

Mr. Carnelian
09-21-2015, 09:07 PM
I used to be very good at Maths. Then, at some point towards the end of secondary school, I just seemed to lose the knack for it.

In primary school, I imagined that I might end up being a physicist. Now here I am, doing an English Lit degree. Funny how things change.

Shauna
09-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Me + Maths = Yes

Colonel Angus
09-21-2015, 09:45 PM
The best Math class I ever had was one in college. It was this class where we focused on patterns & stuff.

Mirage
09-21-2015, 09:57 PM
I am reasonably good. I do arithmetic pretty fast in my head and i feel that i have a pretty firm grasp of trigonometry and algebra. I can do basic derivation and integration, but i feel that i am probably a bit rusty.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-22-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm alright. I mean, after not taking any sort of math class in a decade I was able to easily place into college level algebra. I was super surprised that I didn't have to take any developmental classes.

Bubba
09-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Anyone who has seen me watch an episode of Countdown will know that I am really fuckng good at arithmetic. If I'm presented with any kind of advanced maths though then I'll struggle.

Also, why is it called 'math' in the USA? We Brits say 'maths' as it's short for mathematics. Is it the same over there or is math short for something else?

Dark_Valentine
09-22-2015, 01:44 AM
Anyone who has seen me watch an episode of Countdown will know that I am really smurfng good at arithmetic. If I'm presented with any kind of advanced maths though then I'll struggle.

Also, why is it called 'math' in the USA? We Brits say 'maths' as it's short for mathematics. Is it the same over there or is math short for something else?

I've always just called it 'math', I don't think I know anyone who calls it 'maths' so I think it's pretty general here in the U.S. I'm not sure why they decided to drop the 's' but America does strange things lol although I do understand why you would call it 'maths'.

I'm pretty good at it considering that was my major in college :) I think my two favorite classes was differential equations and operations research!

Bri
09-22-2015, 03:47 AM
i absolutely loath math with a deep burning passion... :grumble:

Shiny
09-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Math is a tricky thing for me. I never failed at Math, but it was hard for me to grasp it mostly because I thought anything aside from basic math was a waste of my time. It was also due to the fact that my formative years were wasted in a terrible system that wanted to hold students back by teaching them how to count smurfing change and not learn anything else. Geometry and Trigonometry were brutal, but I did well by being in fairly easy classes for those at a Standard or Academic level (Accelerated > Academic > Standard).

When I had an amazing teacher, I excelled. Algebra I got straight A's in and that's mostly due to having a non-mediocre teacher who not only cared about her job, but also about her students. She would sit with me after school; something that she did on her own accord because she knew I wanted to get it and when I did, I enjoyed it. She reveled in my success. She helped me entirely for free because they don't pay teachers to stay after school. It's sad that there aren't many teachers like her anymore for public schools, but I understand. They're underpaid anyway.

I also think it's fairly evident that a lot of people who are good at Math are not as good in English and vice versa. I was more interested in Language Arts classes and History. I found it hard to have that same passion for Math classes unless the teacher made it something interesting. If I were to be honest, I think people in general learn how to bullshit and then use that to get by. Grades become, "who is the best bullshitter" so I don't think public school education in America is really a good indication of someone who is knowledgeable in a particular subject.

theundeadhero
09-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Making A's in a top 100 University of North America so I'm good enough at it.

Zanmato
09-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Math is a like black magic to me and to this day it's the one of my greatest nightmares! :cry:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-22-2015, 09:16 PM

We call it math because MATHematics.

Formalhaut
09-22-2015, 09:37 PM

We call it math because MATHematics.

I think we say 'maths' because 'MATHematicS'.

Though really, there's hardly a difference. I don't get too hung up on it :p

FFNut
09-23-2015, 01:11 AM
In school i used to say if I didn't pass don't give me the test back. I never saw the result of said math tests I took.

Slothy
09-23-2015, 02:58 AM
If there was a god, math would be his language.

maybee
09-23-2015, 05:07 AM
I'm EXCELLENT at math !

2+2 = 5

:smug:

True answer : I'm horrible at the thing.

theundeadhero
09-25-2015, 03:39 AM
There's also this link here (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/156358-C-for-comic-strip-Double-Nerdiness?p=3408137#post3408137) because math can be fun.

Lazerface
09-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Nope. I've pretty much failed every math class I've take up till now and summer school was the only thing that made it up. And last time they let me skid by and now they've made it easier then ever to pass. Fuck math and fuck the dumb teachers who hold me back for some stupid triginometry and advanced algebra shit

Ayen
09-27-2015, 04:00 AM
5 x 4 = 20! See, I can math!