PDA

View Full Version : Things I've learned from Fallout 1 and 2

Lazerface
09-07-2015, 02:59 PM
The game taught me a good lesson or rather a good mirror on the math behind shooting a gun. As well as to never go at it alone. Here's a list

1. Never go at a gang armed with assault rifles or heavy weapons alone or even using many pistols in varying calibers. This part taught me that you really cannot play super badass or one man army in Fallout. Lesson here= YOU WILL GET SHREDDED BY EVERYONE ARMED TO THE TEETH!! On an individual scale it's possible to win but when you're fighting a gang of 3 or more raiders you might to consider having companions with you. Fallout really discourages playing it lone wolf. You're more liable to get murdered that way, but the bright side of that is you're able to sneak around better and you don't have to share medical or ammunition supplies with anyone.

2. Don't go in for an aimed shot at the body if it's less than 55%. This lesson may just apply to me but I wouldn't recommend going for a shot with less than 55% accuracy. At that point you're better off just aiming for the center of mass. The game takes a lot math and factors into pulling the trigger, whether it's day or night, the distance, obstacles in the way, armor, effective range and caliber of the weapon. Kinda like real life there and to me Fallout 1 and 2 have some of the most realistic gunplay I've seen so far in a game, except ARMA 3. You might find yourself in a gun battle or a H2H fight that mass take an excess of up to 10 to 20 mintues and maybe just in a standoff where no one is hitting each other or just short ass battle that lasted 30 seconds because you got overwhelmed by super mutants with rocket launchers and miniguns. But if it's a fight you can't win in Fallout 1 or 2, just pull back and leave the area. Call it a tactical retreat. I found myself doing that a lot with battles I couldn't win. Another thing about gun mechanics can apply here in real life is me using my Marlin 1895 loaded in 45-70 Govt. to shoot a bighorn sheep 200 meters away to which I've actually done. I had to do some simple geometry and maybe some algebraic considerations to consider the weather to be a big modifier if the shot was in cold weather or hot weather. Like the cold increases air density so my bullet was going to strike lower and the drag on the bullet was going to be a lot more heavier. So in the case of shooting the bighorn in the head I had to aim about a few centimeters above it's head to get a proper shot to it's head. To which I didn't in -10 degrees Fahrenheit, I managed to hit it in the neck. and the bullet traveled out the left shoulder.

3. DON'T DO DRUGS KIDS! Seriously don't. They ain't really worth the long term addiction and short term gain and short term loss. Especially jet in Fallout 2, you stay addicted for the remainder of the game until you find a cure. And in this time you could easily get fucked up by gangs and raiders when you're at your lowest without a drug to make your stats boost. Sure, some traits can help with drug resistance or alliance but it still don't help that much knowing you can get addicted to begin with.

4. Have high luck and you might just find yourself scoring more critical strikes. In a sense it makes sense. If you have a well placed shot to the left leg there's a good chance your .223 from your hunting rifle could easily break their leg and knock them out of the fight and their action points decrease. Or shoot them in the eye and they'll be blind and their accuracy decreases. Shoot them in the groin just to have a good laugh and they will be permanently out of the fight when their to busy worrying about how they didn't wear a cup or their childbearing days are ruined.

5. Armor means the standing point between life and death in the game. If you ain't got no good armor, you pretty much dead and gone. It affects your action class and overall resistance to certain damage types. Action class determines you can avoid being shot in the first place.

So what do you think here?

Spuuky
09-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Fallout 1 and 2 taught me that there are better solutions to every situation than trying to shoot things.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-08-2015, 09:47 PM
All Fallouts have taught me to find a dog, and make friends with that dog.

That dog is awesome.

Lazerface
09-09-2015, 11:42 AM
All Fallouts have taught me to find a dog, and make friends with that dog.

That dog is awesome. True that. But in the first two games that said dog is too easy to kill or get killed. Like sometimes you'd have to keep him out of combat or in the case of the Restoration project mod in Fallout 2, get the dog body armor so he'll at least have some good protection against the elements.