PDA

View Full Version : Have you been on a train?

Pike
10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
I have not :(

Here in America passenger trains are tough to come by and the closest train station to my town is 200 miles away or something.

Bubba
10-02-2015, 05:57 PM
I get the train for work every day. Travelling by train is probably my favourite way to travel. When I used to frequent Scotland, I loved the three-and-a-half hour train ride up there. I'd kick back with a few beers and a good book. Bliss.

Psychotic
10-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Hundreds of times, yeah. I much prefer it to car travel - I travel a lot for work and always have the choice of renting a car or taking the train and I choose train every time. Can just sit back, chill and listen to music and/or read a good book.

Pheesh
10-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah, lots of times. Both long journey and short.

I even rode the train a few times in America, I didn't think they were that uncommon, but I was in touristy areas for the most part I guess.

Pumpkin
10-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I have. I took the train a few times to go visit my mom back when I still lived in Canada

blackmage_nuke
10-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I use to take it all the time, now it's just whenever I want to go to the city since driving into the city is a hastle

Formalhaut
10-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Living in England I always forget just how uncommon overland trains are in America. They're very common in England. I love train journeys myself, especially longer journeys which involve no changeovers. You can really just settle in and relax and let your mind wander.

Ayen
10-03-2015, 02:08 AM
-sniff- I have not :(

Shauna
10-03-2015, 07:11 PM
LJ9vkt7BHYI

Dat Matt
10-03-2015, 07:13 PM
The real reason why Pike has never ridden a train.

b8HO6hba9ZE

Colonel Angus
10-03-2015, 09:51 PM
I take a train to work everyday.

Mirage
10-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Trains are pretty common in norway

~*~Celes~*~
10-03-2015, 11:46 PM
I've ridden a subway train in Toronto, but I think that's it.

DMKA
10-04-2015, 12:10 AM
I'm assuming the train that some airports have that takes you from concourse to concourse doesn't count? :p

The only real train I've ever been on was an Amtrak ride from Los Angeles to Sacramento when I was four years old. I remember eating pizza on the train and thinking it was amazing and the lady who served it to me mentioning Ninja Turtles and how much they like pizza, and then asking me if I liked Ninja Turtles, because her kids liked Ninja Turtles, and I was like "OMG YEAH NINJA TURTLES ARE TOTALLY RADICAL I LOVE THEM THEY'RE DA BOMB!" The concept of being served a meal inside a moving vehicle was mesmerizing to 4 year old me for some reason.

Then I remember asking my mother why there was a thin sheet of paper going down the back of the seat, and she told me it was so that the oil from people's heads wouldn't get all over the seat, and I didn't get it back then. Speaking of which, I never see that anymore.

fire_of_avalon
10-04-2015, 02:40 AM
I've ridden a passenger train one time and the experience was so bad that I've vowed to avoid it at all costs in the future. A freight train that was running ahead of our train broke down so we were stuck on the train, not moving for about 10 hours. What should have been a 13 hour overnight trip took me 22 hours from Orlando to Raleigh. I had a sandwich, some trail mix and two bottles of water and no two books. No blankets, no music andndnd had to keep phone turned off to preserve the battery.

The worst part was that none of the train staff even volunteered information to us. Someone had to start asking questions before we were told what had happened. And they didn't even offer any of us water!

Never again. At least when you drive yourself you can react to bad situations like traffic jams and make choices about how to proceed.

Colonel Angus
10-04-2015, 06:07 AM
I've ridden a passenger train one time and the experience was so bad that I've vowed to avoid it at all costs in the future. A freight train that was running ahead of our train broke down so we were stuck on the train, not moving for about 10 hours. What should have been a 13 hour overnight trip took me 22 hours from Orlando to Raleigh. I had a sandwich, some trail mix and two bottles of water and no two books. No blankets, no music andndnd had to keep phone turned off to preserve the battery.

The worst part was that none of the train staff even volunteered information to us. Someone had to start asking questions before we were told what had happened. And they didn't even offer any of us water!

Never again. At least when you drive yourself you can react to bad situations like traffic jams and make choices about how to proceed.
You hear about that kind of thing w/ airlines all the time. I never heard of that w/ a train. That would drive me nuts. yar

noxious.sunshine
10-04-2015, 06:24 AM
I live in NYC. Ofc I've ridden a fucking train.

I've never ridden a passenger, overnight, cross-country thing though.

Actually I lie. A childhood bestie and I once grabbed the back of a train while it was slow moving and rode it for a bit and jumped off before it started going too fast. There's a set of train tracks in the woods across from my old house.

And then when we went somewhere for a field trip we got to take a short ride, but it was only like 20 minutes or something around the mountains.

Night Fury
10-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I've been around England on a train and as others have said it's very nice. Always scenic and relaxing and when paired with a cup of coffee and a book it's just a great way to chill out.

Shiny
10-04-2015, 10:29 PM
What are you on about? There's tons of trains everywhere in America and of course I've been on one. Bath salts a helluva a drug.

Night Fury
10-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Also, all of use brits got the fucking hogwarts express to school every year sooooooo

DMKA
10-05-2015, 02:40 AM
I had that happen to me with the Greyhound once. We were stuck in a Greyhound bus depot in the middle of no where with no stores or restaurants around for 22 hours. They wouldn't tell us why until 16 hours into the wait (it was winter and our bus had went somewhere to fuel up during layover, crashed on the way there from slipping on black ice). Not to mention the number of unsavory characters that were on that same bus ride. Never, ever, ever again.

Unless I'm flying, I'll drive myself wherever I need to go, thanks.

Old Manus
10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
I commuted to work via train for two years and it was hell on earth. Noisy, dirty, perennially late trains full of screeching kids (and the occasional dog) which had a habit of breaking down around Bridgend and sitting static with no air-con for an hour. Public transport in general is a pain in the arse.

Crop
10-05-2015, 04:52 PM
I commuted to work via train for two years and it was hell on earth. Noisy, dirty, perennially late trains full of screeching kids (and the occasional dog) which had a habit of breaking down around Bridgend and sitting static with no air-con for an hour. Public transport in general is a pain in the arse.

I have used trains all across the country, both national and local. As well as using the Tube in London and the Subway in NYC, and taken buses in many different countries. For the most part I have enjoyed all of my journeys and quite like public transport.

But I have never had an overall worse experience with public transport than I have with Arriva Trains Wales. The fact that I still have to use them quite regularly fills me with pain.

escobert
10-05-2015, 07:09 PM
It took me a while to remember but, yes I have. I've been on one in Chicago a couple of times. And maybe in Europe. I always live somewhat close by to a train station, I just never ride them.

Old Manus
10-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Arriva Trains WalesNever utter that filth again :mad2:

starlet
10-06-2015, 01:52 AM
I took a train to NYC, it was a 15 hour ride and kind of sucked. I think I'll just fly next time....

MissH
10-07-2015, 04:49 PM
The best train I've ever been on was the Santa train!

My family and I, along with many others would board this old steam train decorated all Christmassy. There was a brass band that walked up and down the train playing Christmas songs. Then Santa would come with a great big bag of presents and hand them out to everyone!

Then we would go to this little pub called Snowdrop or something and have a lovely meal whilst I ran about with my friends.

I can't wait til my son is old enough in a few years for me to take him there!

Other than that, England's public transport is a real pile of cr*p. They're dirty,they're never on time, the toilets rarely work and they're just pants!