PDA

View Full Version : How did you discover EOFF?

FFNut
09-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Though the question has been asked bye everyone to every new member I thought I'd start a thread on it. Did a friend recommend it to you? Or did you stumble upon it while researching with Google. Here is your place to tell your EOFF story!

For me I was replaying FFX, for the Blitzball when I was wondering who I should puck for my team. Stumbled across the site there, perved it for a week and joined up. So glad I did as I now get to meet and talk to all kinds of cool people from all over the world I would have never known. The time I spend on this site is the highlight of the day most days for me.

Pike
09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
I had a crush on Mister Adequate, who was a member of a different forum that I posted at. I found out that he was a member here, as well, and I migrated over so I could join him. Now we are engaged and I have a lot of friends here! :3:

Del Murder
09-14-2015, 05:23 PM
I think I was looking for FFII info. It was the first and only time I used the front site.

Fynn
09-14-2015, 05:34 PM
I used to use the front site for all FF-related tips, as I've been playing a lot of FFs for the first time back in junior high. Then I lurked a bit on the forums before finally joining in high school.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-14-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't even remember, it's been so long. But, knowing the way I was way back when, I was probably trying to find info on FFVII/IX/X on the frontsite. I do know that I didn't register until, like, 2 years after using the site.

Colonel Angus
09-14-2015, 06:08 PM
I was looking up something or another about one of the FFs. I think it might've been V. I had the site bookmarked, as I occasionally used the frontsite, but never thought of joining. Then a year or so ago, I wanted to talk about FF, so I joined.

Pheesh
09-14-2015, 06:19 PM
I was looking for synthesis info for Kingdom Hearts. I used the frontsite for a few days and finally joined the forum.

Galuf
09-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Twas a cold stormy night. I had been getting my ass kicked by liquflame and eventually got to the saddest ff scene ever. I looked on internet "Hardest FFV boss" then i read thread. I then saw chat at top. And well that as they say is that.

So no matter how much miss Sefie ridicules my liquiflame troubles i will always be happy that i died so much. Eoff is literaly thr best thing on internet. Thank you!

FF_Nash
09-14-2015, 09:59 PM
I am one such noobie and actually found EOFF through twitter. :-)

Formalhaut
09-15-2015, 12:38 AM
I literally have no idea. But however I joined, I'm glad that I did.

Mr. Carnelian
09-15-2015, 01:37 AM
It's all Formy's fault. Blame him for my presence. :p

escobert
09-15-2015, 02:30 AM
looking for FF8 information.

Sephex
09-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Oldbies will groan for me listing this fact again, but back in 2000, not too long after edczxcvbnm and I graduated High School, I had a full time office job and he was off to college upstate. We kept in contact through e-mail since social networking wasn't really a thing back then. I used to post on the official Marilyn Manson message board and he went around trolling Final Fantasy fan sites to see how fast he could get banned.

Well, whatever he tried here didn't work, so he stuck around and quickly discovered he liked discussing Chrono Cross stuff with people (it was a new game at that time). He would e-mail me discussions he had with people. Seems kind of whatever now, but back then doing such things was still a pretty fresh deal. By the time February of 2001 rolled around, I grew tired of the Manson boards (though I didn't stop posting there completely) and decided to officially join here. I made an ass of myself for the first week or so because I was used to how the Manson boards really didn't have rules or organization (I felt a mod unfairly called me out here and I made a thread calling the mod out, lol).

But yeah, there's that story again.

Pumpkin
09-15-2015, 03:21 AM
I was waiting for my at the time boyfriend to pick me up from the bus station coming home from visiting my mom in Boston. He was late, as usual, so I pulled out my laptop and started looking for Vivi stuff because Vivi is my all time favourite character. Then I found this place and joined to talk about Final Fantasy. And I met my boyfriend here and it changed my life for the better :jess:

Bri
09-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Hmmm, well I was curious about what Bert was always doing on here.. I honestly thought he was chatting with women and having a blast but I did some lurking and snooping and discovered that I liked everything about it. I like it more than Facebook. I don't have a twitter, instagram, face time or other social accounts..whats the damn point of having all this social media accounts anyway, I have this and Facebook. But I would rate this forum 10 for being an original and an awesome place to"be at". Oh and I thank Bert for this site.

theundeadhero
09-15-2015, 07:06 AM
When I was young my passion were different than most. While other boys were playing baseball, or Mortal Kombat, I was discovering Celes' betrayal against her empire or reading about the Knights of Takhisis. I earned my way into the king's favor with d'Artagnan during the French Revolution and won Gwaelin's love after saving her from a dragon. One day a friend of mine told me of an adventure grander than any other. It would make my past deeds seem as if I had never lived and outshine the fourth phantasy of the stars I was currently experiencing. I listened with skepticism. What could be greater than traveling to the moon? Who could be more deserving of my vengeance than one who lusted for power and gained it, only to lose his humanity in the process? Still, I valued his recommendations and remembered it's name. It was Chrono Trigger. I had little money at the time, being too young for a job and the son of a carpenter. In order to start my quest I went to the greatest wealth of knowledge in all of civilization, the internet. It was a journey full of potential dangers. First, I had to climb to the highest peaks of the stairs, then risk the wrath of running into the most dreadful of monsters, the teenage sisterbeast. Her and I had fought many times before, each earning scars both mental and physical in our battles. I made it to the computer unnoticed and double-clicked it's gateway to knowledge. There, I downloaded the rom. I was finally ready to begin my journey through time. Along the way, I made new friends and fought new enemies. I was betrayed by a chancellor and helped a frog fulfill his destiny. I taught a robot to love. Somewhere along the way I became lost. I knew where I wanted to go, and what I wanted to do, but I couldn't figure out the way to get there. Once again I went to the internet for knowledge. This time something was wrong. The bridge connecting my world to their's was down. What had happened? Had the elements risen up by sending a storm to disrupt my connection to the world of answers? Had my 33.6k modem, the keymaster that unlocked the door, met it's end with a shower of sparks bursting from it's core or melted under the intense demands of use? I didn't know and I despaired! Then, like a miracle falling from heaven itself, it was there. I went in search of a guide and found one written by the oracle Spatvark, of former EOFF fame. It was then and there that I found the Eyes on Final fantasy and went on to save the world from the ravages of Lavos. I came back to EOFF many times seeking knowledge and during one of my early journeys I discovered the land of the forums. I don't remember how long I avoided it, for it was a very long time ago, but most likely the period of a year or two. Eventually, I made my way there. Upon joining the citizens of this land they asked me for a name so that they may know me. I produced one but quickly regretted it. Seeking to change it, I sent a message to the knight Kawaii Ryukishi. He directed me to a member of the Council of Administrators. I don't remember clearly which one it was, I never talked to him again, but it may have been Scotty. My name was quickly changed and the rest is known, to a very few of you.

Loony BoB
09-15-2015, 11:34 AM
I was looking for ROMs when I discovered EoFF, and I was looking for discussion on FFV when I discovered the forums. I thought each forum was separate back then, so went into each game section on the frontsite and clicked on the forum link there. Imagine my amazement when I discovered that the forums had an index! And the rest is history. Actually, the above is history, too, I suppose. Everything is history.

Freya
09-15-2015, 02:29 PM
I was gifted Final Fantasy IX for my 14th Birthday. So I was looking up some guides and stuff for chocographs and the like. Found EoFF and decided that they were pretty interesting. I joined and kept using the site for info and didn't really start to really join in until a year later.

Hollycat
09-15-2015, 06:56 PM
I was looking up guides on how to get all the summons in FF8.

Fynn
09-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Come to think of it, what happened with all those guides we had?

Freya
09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
If you click the articles tab all the numbers are listed. Then in their section there are a bunch of info and guides.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-15-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't really remember all of the details. I was obsessed with FFVIII as a kid as it was pretty much my first RPG. Both it and Metal Gear Solid taught me that video games were a viable way to tell stories in games as I was more used to simple platformers from the eras before the playstation. It was probably one of the first things to get me into wanting to be a writer and storyteller myself, and I enjoyed hearing about different theories (such as Squall is Dead and Rinoa=Ultimecia). One of my high school friends who also happened to like VIII mentioned one of those theories to me, which prompted me to look up various FF theories. I didn't just want to read the theory though, and so I tried to find the theories on some sort of forum so I could see what others had to say about it. This search lead me to EoFF and the interesting topics of Future Esthar.

After that, I ended up lurking and reading various FF and gaming threads off and on for a couple of years. The days I'd do this generally always started with me searching something FF related and remembering that EoFF existed. Eventually I thought that I should join because the people here seemed pretty cool. Turns out the people here really are pretty cool. Life has kept me away from posting here lately though.

Fynn
09-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Oh man, Future Esthar :D This thread is a huge nostalgia fest so far!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-16-2015, 11:36 PM
It's all Formy's fault. Blame him for my presence. :p We do. Quiet happily, I might add.

I like it more than Facebook.
We all like it more than Facebook. Or any social media site for that matter. If I have a browser up on my computer, you can bet your bottom dollar that EoFF is the first tab.

It was Chrono Trigger Cross.
There. Fixed. I was stuck and couldn't figure anything out so I found this sweet site that had a guide to help me. And then I used said guides for Final Fantasy games, which I discovered shortly thereafter. Eventually I even got around to Chrono Trigger. This started with Chrono Cross sometime in the early 2000's. Eventually I realized that there were forums too, so I joined them in 2005ish and never left.

Shiny
09-17-2015, 02:53 AM
A friend of mine told me about it and said I should join. I didn't really discover it. She abandoned ship a while ago but I stuck around. A few times she's come back to check out what's going on in the private forums i.e. to stalk me.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2015, 03:48 AM
I heard of the place from some people who posted both here and at Final Fantasy Republic, where I was very active, having been introduced to that site by a RL friend. When that place imploded and died, I still wanted to talk about stuff with people and keep in touch with some people from there, so I ended up over here, and this place was very weird and not nearly as cool because Blitzballer wasn't a member, but on the other hand Lennon Legend wasn't either so it evened out.

(Those guys may have been members and just never posted idk, whatevs)

Shauna
09-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Dunno. I joined a lot of fora when I was around 14-15. This was one of them. Interesting enough for me to actually stick around, it seems.

Carl the Llama
09-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I had a crush on Mister Adequate, who was a member of a different forum that I posted at. I found out that he was a member here, as well, and I migrated over so I could join him. Now we are engaged and I have a lot of friends here! :3:

Stalkery goodness xD

I joined this site because of FFXI I believe, way back in 2005 :)

Karifean
09-20-2015, 08:08 PM
I joined because of the old riddle threads which I found on Google because I was into that at the time. FF VII Riddles, FF VIII Riddles, in fact I believe a revival of a year-old FF X Riddle topic was my very first contribution to this forum. Yay for necroposting! But goddamnit those riddles were fun. BG-57 was the king of those.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-25-2015, 06:39 PM
I originally joined sometime around 1999 or 2000, and promptly forgot about the place. My join date says 2002, but I'm pretty sure I joined before that too.

Then when I was working 12 hour night shifts in front of a computer, I got a birthday reminder about this place, but I don't think I could remember my password? Maybe that's why it says 2002 now.

Whatever the case, I came back, and promptly forgot about the place again, until I saw another happy birthday email from EOFF years later.

I didn't regularly start posting here until just a few years ago.

Ayen
09-26-2015, 07:44 AM
I typed in the words 'Final Fantasy Forums' and this popped up in the search list.

Vincent Valentine
09-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Google. Back when simply searching a term in the search engine would lead to you lots of awesome fansites and not just the same four or five big websites every single time.

That was... a long time ago. A long, long, long, long time ago.

Ugh, I'm old.